Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I've got "ground combo, air combo, wild swing, OTG, hawkeye, pipe (hits between 2nd and last arrow to conserve groundbounce), L hooligan, a.MMpipe" to work; I went for M, S on the groundbounce but it dropped after the M. I should have time to land and just do S+Call Doom, and if you follow that with an immediate low to the ground wild swing they're regrounded right as the missiles hit. I guess after that I'll just jump up and do wild swing again or maybe I can do Rapid Fists as the first few missiles hit but before they go up too high *shrug*

Go straight to S or Hoodlum L after the ground bounce, other wise the air MMHS won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Go straight to S or Hoodlum L after the ground bounce, other wise the air MMHS won't work.

a.MMHS didn't work before the ground bounce, they drop out between M and H, that's why I had to shorten it to a.MMpipe. After the ground bounce the hitstun is so degraded the only ways I can find to reground them are pipe, Mpipe, or a really really low wild swing and only the swing takes up enough time for the missiles to land. I was tempted to use the hold S for auto-jump deal, being able to buffer the QCF as I was leaving the ground made it easier but I didn't want to learn it that way and then have to play against someone who insists on turning it off.

I've successfully landed the combo once now, 812,900 damage using one bar of meter and probably building at least that much.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Can I get an opinion here? Is the old Vanilla buktooth loop easier than the modern foot-foot dive loop? My fingers are too stupid to do f.H then neutral S then ADDF without constantly doing an accidental aerial tag. I'll keep trying it, but I'd like some other intermediate goal in the mean time.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

So I started messing around with Dormammu + Hidden Missiles assist. Right now my corner combo maxed out is getting over 920k using 1 meter and building about 1.75 meters. Holy poo poo.

It's a little tricky to give notation without it turning into a paragraph since it utilizes destruction charges so here it is in 3 flavors:

3 Destruction stocked:
Whatever normal opener -> s.H6H fly MHS j.MHS c.MHS+Assist sj.MMHS 236L 214H 236L 236PP

2 Destruction stocked:
-> s.H6H fly MHS j.MHS c.MHS+Assist sj.MMHS 214L s.H 214H 236L 236PP

1 Destruction stocked:
-> s.H6H fly MHS j.MHS c.MHS+Assist sj.MMHS 214L s.H 214H 236PP

I'm sure this is no where near optimized yet, I've only spent a few hours and the framework is lifted from a day 1 corner bnb from the SRK forums. (-> s.H6H fly MHS j.MHS c.MHS sj.MMHS 623L 236PP)

I haven't tried enough with the creation combinations yet either although from what little I did try the destros seem to trump them for this spot (there is already so much hit stun that I'm not going to get a relaunch out of meteors or anything...)

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 22, 2011

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Boxman posted:

Can I get an opinion here? Is the old Vanilla buktooth loop easier than the modern foot-foot dive loop? My fingers are too stupid to do f.H then neutral S then ADDF without constantly doing an accidental aerial tag. I'll keep trying it, but I'd like some other intermediate goal in the mean time.

I think Buktooth is much easier, but you should still learn to air dash out of j.S for the corner loop.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Nate405 posted:

I think Buktooth is much easier, but you should still learn to air dash out of j.S for the corner loop.

You should also learn to air dash out of j.S because if you get blocked and don't you are incredibly unsafe. Also if your opponent doesn't advancing guard you can addf c.l or adf j.m for a free mixup.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah after actually getting in there and trying some stuff out you guys were right about Nemesis. I had some assumptions about him that proved wrong, still interested in the character but I don't think he'd be a fit for this team, or probably any of the big guys really.

So then I have Ghost Rider for sure, and I keep going back and forth between Morrigan and Storm for the second slot. I played a lot of Trish in vanilla so I like that floaty keepaway style and I think it'd be a good contrast to Ghost Rider's ground game, but I'm still not sure about the anchor slot.

Part of me is thinking another zoner would be good for that third slot, I had a lot of success with Arthur in that position back in vanilla but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I was thinking a rushdown guy might be good to mess with people's expectations a bit. Play keepaway for a while then get in their face. I tried a bit of Zero and he's fun but he seems pretty fragile and I'm still new to the rushdown thing so I'm not too sure about that. Deadpool can go back and forth between the two styles pretty seamlessly and he was one of my mains in vanilla but I want to try some new people out.

So with all that in mind who would you guys recommend now?

Also the slot positions aren't set in stone, I'm not too sure about GR as an opener now so feel free to shuffle it up a bit.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Mr. Unlucky posted:

stuff

I feel that GR is great on point and personally would leave him there. It's where I play him, and much more telling is that it's also where Combofiend and Viscant play him. It may well change if huge new tech comes out but for right now hes a very good battery. There's also the fact that he nullifies the assist game of the opponent and has an insanely good snap (you can punish an akuma beam from full screen with it during the flash. seriously) and these are much less factors in anchor I find. His mixup game is rear end without assists as well so in XF3 he will be pretty easy to block.

He benefits a lot from strong zoning assists and a good full screen damage DHC. Morrigan has neither of those, Storm has the DHC down with the added benefit that she can get full damage in the corner where Maelstrom doesn't bounce. Also, while not traditionally regarded the best assist I could see whirlwind working very well for GR because of the pushback helping keep them in chain range.

Whirlwind is not as great for lockdown or anything though, and I would say you ought to take a good hard look at Sentine(Drones) and Doom(Missiles) to round those two out in anchor.

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 23, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Seizure Robot posted:

You should also learn to air dash out of j.S because if you get blocked and don't you are incredibly unsafe. Also if your opponent doesn't advancing guard you can addf c.l or adf j.m for a free mixup.

Thanks for the advice. I know canceling the j.S is important, but it's the quick combination of forward, then neutral, then df that I'm having trouble with. I wonder if I can just omit the first footdive to make the combo less awesome but easier. To the lab! :science:

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Anyone interested in trading costume packs for PS3? I have the Femme Fatale pack and don't use any of the characters.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
I have been wanting to pick up a new fighting game for awhile now and have my on mvc3. I didn't play the first one though so I'm a little hesitant. I really like some of the characters in the game especially on the capcom side. How is ameratsu and is she easy to pick up?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's the best way for Nova to get in? I usually use him as an anchor and it's been really hard for me to get that first hit in, generally.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Phoenix Wright is trash.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's the best way for Nova to get in? I usually use him as an anchor and it's been really hard for me to get that first hit in, generally.

versus dudes who need to get in on you: grav pulse h, energy jav

versus dudes with keepaway: energy jav, c.m into highlow mixup (flight cancels, fh, c.h) or air dash h or air human rocket punch h mid screen.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Boxman posted:

I feel like not playing the Sad Hulk Walking Away Song for the last 10 seconds or so was really a missed opportunity.

Well thankfully, my friend thought ahead and did it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvEZ1bYJfoc

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I don't understand using Nova as anchor. His high/low mixup game is terrible, so I mainly get people to stop blocking by calling Shopping Cart and using his amazing box dash or Nova Strike H to left/right mixup. Without assists, I pretty much have to play him reactively by sliding against anything unsafe or striking through projectiles.

bladeworksmaster posted:

I need to find out how to do this glitch with Hulk so we can have the real deal.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, Nova's forward airdash gives him a lot of momentum if you cancel it late into Air H.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Broken Loose posted:

I don't understand using Nova as anchor. His high/low mixup game is terrible, so I mainly get people to stop blocking by calling Shopping Cart and using his amazing box dash or Nova Strike H to left/right mixup. Without assists, I pretty much have to play him reactively by sliding against anything unsafe or striking through projectiles.
I think it's because of the boosts he gets with X-Factor. 170% damage and 130% speed is pretty strong and gives him a 6 frame low and a 11 frame overhead (Flight + j.L).

I agree though, I think it's silly. He's much stronger with any assist who can cover his unsafe mix-ups and approaches.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

S-Alpha posted:

It might have something to do with the fact that you're using j.L and not j.M. j.L just causes whiffs and dropped combos. You need the bigger hitboxes on those moves to get it working properly.

I put a solid hour into practicing this Vergil combo (against Dante if it matters) last night and I had a higher success rate connecting j.L after the Trick->superjump, plenty of my j.Ms didn't combo or hit too high for the chain to continue. j.M was way more consistent once I remembered I'd toggled game mode off on my Evo monitor but I went back to j.L anyway, you lose 7k damage but the link is ~2 frames looser and with five hours into this game I'm alright with that tradeoff.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

bladeworksmaster posted:

How do I do this. This needs to be my win taunt

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Ample posted:

How is ameratsu and is she easy to pick up?
Ammy's alright. She has some easy combos and the cold star assist is pretty useful. Some other good starting characters I'd recommend are Wesker, Wolverine, and Nemesis.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was. PR Balrog shows off his new favorite character, Spencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K83pDD4Vuw0

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I need to go change my pants after watching that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Any suggestions for a 3rd in a team that includes X-23 and Vergil? I'm decent at execution with those characters, it's that I have the vaguest sense of mixups and cannot think of a good assist to allow me to get in to land a solid hit. I'm thinking Frank with Shopping Cart, but I'm wondering if a ranged character would be a better choice.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Any suggestions for a 3rd in a team that includes X-23 and Vergil? I'm decent at execution with those characters, it's that I have the vaguest sense of mixups and cannot think of a good assist to allow me to get in to land a solid hit. I'm thinking Frank with Shopping Cart, but I'm wondering if a ranged character would be a better choice.

Shopping cart.

Or doom.

Or hawkeye. :shobon:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

iPodschun posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was. PR Balrog shows off his new favorite character, Spencer:

3 times in one combo I thought to myself, "Oh that was a cool combo, wait... there's more?".

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Dosvidanya posted:

Shopping cart.

Or doom.

Hawkeye and Vergil have pretty nice synergy, they're both kind of meter hogs which is a downside but their assists mesh very well. Hawkeye's arrows obviously give nice horizontal cover for Vergil's teleports etc., while Vergil's rapid slash pushes the opponent to full screen on hit or block which is incredibly useful when playing keepaway with Hawkeye.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

iPodschun posted:

I want to use this character but refuse to do so until his DLC costume comes out.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dosvidanya posted:

Shopping cart.

Or doom.

doctor/prostitute posted:

Hawkeye and Vergil have pretty nice synergy, they're both kind of meter hogs which is a downside but their assists mesh very well. Hawkeye's arrows obviously give nice horizontal cover for Vergil's teleports etc., while Vergil's rapid slash pushes the opponent to full screen on hit or block which is incredibly useful when playing keepaway with Hawkeye.

Awesome. Been meaning to try out Hawkeye anyway. I'll give him a whirl.

As for meter, maybe I'll try switching out X-23 with Dark Harmonizer Morrigan.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Anybody playing Strange? I find his combos and general gameplay really awkward- especially without a get off-me assist. Teleport characters get in on him so fast and with no air dash and a lovely wavedash I can't create enough space to start his slow rear end specials up. I can't decide if his Eye of Agomotto assist is good enough to wanna wrestle with him. I'm playing Nova/Strange/Wesker but I'm thinking of changing to Nova/Frank/Wesker- I think I can get an instant level 4 Frank off a Nova BnB too, and that shopping cart assist looks tight. Any thoughts?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blinn posted:

I'm playing Nova/Strange/Wesker but I'm thinking of changing to Nova/Frank/Wesker- I think I can get an instant level 4 Frank off a Nova BnB too, and that shopping cart assist looks tight. Any thoughts?

I don't have any thoughts about ditching Strange, as the team I'm currently putting time into is actually Nova/Frank/Strange, but I wanted to point out that you can actually get to Frank Level 5 after the Nova BnB, provided you have Nova's ground bouncing dive kick assist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvxJo7CYUY

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

yeah, that hard knockdown owns so much for the nova/frank duo.

However, my current thoughts (scrubby as I am) are Nova/Frank as 2 and 3 with whatever dude you want first. This way, if your battery dies, you have two really good friends together and the meter to make sure you can get the level 4-5 off any random hit.

For example, I'm currently shifting towards Hawkeye/Nova/Frank since Hawkeye with Frank assist looks really nasty.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't have any thoughts about ditching Strange, as the team I'm currently putting time into is actually Nova/Frank/Strange, but I wanted to point out that you can actually get to Frank Level 5 after the Nova BnB, provided you have Nova's ground bouncing dive kick assist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvxJo7CYUY

Thanks- that's tight. I'm sure I could even do it after easymode magic series combos rather than the flight loop because all the hits come from the mashed Nova super.

I'm of two minds about strange- he has a lot of cool stuff, I like his teleport games (I'm an ex-phoenix player so it seemed like a logical choice) and the Vishanti->X factor touch of death would be super scary to force someone into not pushing buttons...

I'm just getting mashed up lately and blaming the team, probably.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

My scrub way of doing it with nova is cr.m/h/s air mmh fly mmh super :shobon:

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Dosvidanya posted:

My scrub way of doing it with nova is cr.m/h/s air mmh fly mmh super :shobon:

I've been playing Nova the most lately, I like him a lot and my combo of choice is-
code:
MHS, delay the super jump so the next S gets all the hits, MMHS, forward+H S, MMH, jab projectile, super
does like 680k with full mashing and should DHC properly into Frank based on what I'm seeing.

Speaking of mashing- I've been doing some testing into how to get maximum hits every time with the fewest button presses and whatnot- I've found that binding the 2 extra buttons on my stick to L+M+H and using my index and forefingers to tap them both with a moderate but regular rhythm gets 100% mash damage every time and without too much effort. Not sure if that's useful for anyone, but I figure I'm the only one crazy enough to test mash mechanics.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nova can build a bar with c.M s.H S sj. H fly H unfly H land s.H S sj.MHS land f+H S sj.H XX Super Nova (DHC to Survival super). If you start with either c.L or something like a airdash j.H, you have to omit the M in the second superjump sequence, but you still build a bar, so it's not like you'd have to have Nova second just to build bar with a point for this setup.

Honestly the H fly/unfly thing into relaunch isn't all that bad, it just takes practice to get used to the timing.

I don't know how I'd feel about Nova/Frank as the second and third characters. I think I'd be worried about a scenario where you lose both your point and Nova and are then saddled with solo Level 1 Frank.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Oh I can still scrub out 650k-680k with super (I prefer doing otg cent l into it just because hitting all the Ss on a moving target isn't something I can adapt to easily at my level), I just don't do that combo because the last mmh qcf l fucks up for me more often than not in practice. I'd hate to gently caress it up under pressure lol.

I'm just talking about doing the swap to frank. Basically the requirement is "be high up" and while it's possible to do otg cent l into super into frank whiff super into camera, it's really annoying.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dosvidanya posted:

I'm just talking about doing the swap to frank. Basically the requirement is "be high up" and while it's possible to do otg cent l into super into frank whiff super into camera, it's really annoying.

I'm still not understanding why you wouldn't just do OTG f+H, S, sj.H XX Super Nova instead.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm still not understanding why you wouldn't just do OTG f+H, s, sj.H XX Super Nova instead.

1) sj.S is finicky for me because of 2) I'm bad. I can't always land the 3 hits needed to guarantee F+H in combat situations.

I'm not saying Nova Second/Frank Third is optimal. I mentioned that I had it this way because I'm bad. I'm not even a training mode all star :unsmigghh:

However I am putting in the hours and am getting carpal tunnel to show for it lol. One day I'll have Nova on point and get all the meter necessary in one combo to do that poo poo but until that day I'm going with Hawkeye as meter builder/punching bag with his potentially insane keepaway thanks to frank's cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oh, I see, I wasn't actually aware that f+H wasn't guaranteed all the time after sj.S. That's what I wasn't understanding.

• Locked thread