Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's that landlord? We're allowed to keep our bikes in the shed? OK! :angel:

Broke a few tiles, but otherwise a triumph of leverage. Didn't make it easier that the front wheel had deflated almost completely and the brake pads were sticking quite hard due the past few months of non-riding. Feel very bad about that, there's been plenty of good weather but work etc. :(

A bit of bike Tetris and we're set for winter.

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Haha, that's fantastic. I must try that sometime!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ola posted:

What's that landlord? We're allowed to keep our bikes in the shed? OK! :angel:

If you can get away with it, run an extension cord to a splitter so you can have a fan, worklights and a tender. It's awesome.

My lazy take-forever valve shim replacement job is pretty much done. I just need to throw everything back together and connect about 20 plugs. I really hope I did everything right cause I goddamn tired of not riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Turn it over a few times by hand to make sure everything seated right and that the cams are in time after rotation before you fire it for the first time :)

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
I just signed a lease on a loft with a huge concrete floored living room. My roommate is another gear head and our place is right next to the freight elevator. I think my bikes winter home will be our living room. :dance:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Turn it over a few times by hand to make sure everything seated right and that the cams are in time after rotation before you fire it for the first time :)

I did that when I rechecked the clearances again. It was hard as hell until I realized I shouldn't have put the spark plugs back in yet. :doh:

Still, it'd be one thing if it was my lovely old pickup, but fumbling around in a motor that does this gives me butterflys in my stomach just thinking about it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

If you can get away with it, run an extension cord to a splitter so you can have a fan, worklights and a tender. It's awesome.

There's a double outlet on the wall behind it so no problem there. But I don't think I'll work in there, I'm already stretching my karma by putting the bike in there and breaking some of the spare tiles. I'll take off the front wheel at some point for new pads and a new tire, will also need new chain and sprocket.

Should also take the head off to fix exhaust bolts but :sigh: :effort:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

Should also take the head off to fix exhaust bolts but :sigh: :effort:

I might have to do this to my buddy's CB750 motor. He bought a new exhaust but the collar screws are stuck something awful. It sucks because I JUST rebuilt this bike and head removal requires motor removal. :(

In lighter news I am painting motors this week (god willing)
My friends long since touched xs650 motor got a good going over with some Simple green and a media blaster:

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/wash-and-media-blast-xs650-motor.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 22, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The shop next to my office has a swanky twin-disc XS400 they're restoring. I love the motor. Air cooling only, no oil cooler gubbins. Also easy access with those panels on the head for checking clearances.

I think it came with the world's worst paint scheme though. I looked at the repainted tank and thought "well that's a lovely design", then I looked at the handy reference card with original pictures and it was actually a completely accurate recreation of the original! :stare:

Also, SELF CANCELLING INDICATORS. Where do I sign up? Who needs my lovely Aprilia manually operated trafficators?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Saga posted:

The shop next to my office has a swanky twin-disc XS400 they're restoring. I love the motor. Air cooling only, no oil cooler gubbins. Also easy access with those panels on the head for checking clearances.

I think it came with the world's worst paint scheme though. I looked at the repainted tank and thought "well that's a lovely design", then I looked at the handy reference card with original pictures and it was actually a completely accurate recreation of the original! :stare:

Also, SELF CANCELLING INDICATORS. Where do I sign up? Who needs my lovely Aprilia manually operated trafficators?

I hate parallel twins. I will be so much happier when this bike is done and out of my garage.
I do like oil coolers though. I plan on running one when I port the head and overbore the cyls of my cb750.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hate parallel twins. I will be so much happier when this bike is done and out of my garage.

Blasphemer! My dream bike is a tie between a Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 or an unmodified (unmolested, you loving bobber-creating shits) stock Yamaha XS650 Special. But I set my sights low.

On topic, I just purchased some 3/4-size Jeep-style taillights/turn signals for my bike, along with a poo poo ton of SMD LED bulbs and strips to go inside of them. Maybe you won't tap into the back of me now at stop lights, fuckers!

(Who am I kidding? Idiot drivers will continue to be idiot drivers, 400 lumens of brake lights or not)

EDIT: VVVVVV

Thanks for the links. If only I was on that side of the country :( (Iduhhho :suicide:)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 22, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

Blasphemer! My dream bike is a tie between a Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 or an unmodified (unmolested, you loving bobber-creating shits) stock Yamaha XS650 Special. But I set my sights low.

On topic, I just purchased some 3/4-size Jeep-style taillights/turn signals for my bike, along with a poo poo ton of SMD LED bulbs and strips to go inside of them. Maybe you won't tap into the back of me now at stop lights, fuckers!

(Who am I kidding? Idiot drivers will continue to be idiot drivers, 400 lumens of brake lights or not)

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2691421468.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2684648054.html

there's also a MINTY XS650 special in blue and gold trim I see pop up on CL from time to time. dude only wanted $2000 for it which seems like a steal for an unmolested bike in such great condition. (looked like it belonged in a museum)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it again.

edit: I just checked my bookmarks and it looks like the post was deleted so it's probably gone. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just bought some new grips!

specifically:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

specifically:

quote:

It is a grip produced sticking to over the detail such as total length designed to suit shape of saliva that considered the match with the mini switch and a simple handle bar, lame conditions, and color though it is a design that is reminiscent of the AMAL type of 60's.

:what:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you've got some really serious riding to do in lame conditions, you'd spit in your gloves before setting off right? I guess the grooves help keep the saliva there.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Of all the available colors, you chose the one that most resembles a condom?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bucephalus posted:

Of all the available colors, you chose the one that most resembles a condom?

Or the colour of his dick.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
<joke about size here>

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Picked up some handguards off eBay, they're a little scratched but hey they bike's second hand too. They'll stand by until I can find some that aren't going to rear end rape me on price - I can either pay ~$60 US plus shipping to Australia, though there's gently caress all places that will ship internationally easily, or head to my local KTM dealer and pay $160 AUS.

...and noticed when i got to work this morning the two bolts that hold my exhaust / passenger pegs holder thingy on have disappeared on one side. Ten minutes, a trip to the hardware store and a new set of Allen keys and its all fixed - though i might cover them all in locate when i get home. Thank got for metric sized Allen bolts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aargh fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 24, 2011

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

specifically:

Scrolled past these dildo-ey looking grips as my boss was walking past. Great.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

_Dav posted:

Secret santa just got a whole lot more exciting!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

_Dav posted:

Not pictured: tube of lubeglue.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Where everybody else suddenly sees dildos all I can think of are Werther's Originals

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

Where everybody else suddenly sees dildos all I can think of are Werther's Originals

Show us on the doll where grandpa touched you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Personally, I like that grip design and color. It reminds me of grips off of some old barn-find Triumph, or even Pope, or something like those. Hearkens back to the days before rubber-mounting of the engine, where instead they rubber-mounted the rider (in before "condom+mounting" jokes) with fat grips and sprung seats.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I finally got the Ninja back together today and it won't start (surprise). Cranks, turns over for a second and then stops and makes that Rrrrrrr starter noise. So I'm gonna go buy some some new oil for the Husky cause I'm pretty goddamn sick of loving with this thing.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Finally looked into the fuel leak on the R100GS. Turns out Bing carbs have an overflow tube so when your float needle goes bad or the float stops floating it just runs out the bottom of the bowl. This is seen to be preferable to hydrolocking a cylinder and breaking a rod after sitting for a bit with leaking carbs. The needle doesn't look bad to me, but there's no question it's old and who knows maybe that's all it takes.

So: new needles and floats are awaiting me at the dealer.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I reluctantly parked it for the winter. The temperature is still above freezing but the concentration of screws sticking through my front tire has reached dangerous levels (1).

I was going to get new tires by spring anyway but I was hoping to keep the bike in running order during winter in case of mild weather. It still holds air but I'm not taking any chances.

makka-setan fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 26, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Finally made some headway rebuilding the Tuono today. The only thing left is to fix the clutch lever, which I'm really held up on, but haven't done enough research to justify asking about here. Either way, it's about 95% there.

Still got some fine tuning, but it fits, so whatevs.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Looks really good! Much better being on two wheels.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's wrong with the clutch?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Rode it home! 2006 Honda ST1300, 36,500 miles, still under factory warranty till late 2013. :dance: :iia:

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 28, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ordered a set of motorcycle/atv/snowmobile mitts. I made sure to get ones with big openings for gloved hands and quick access - they even have a zipper for bar-end mirror stalks!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Found out why my battery wasn't charging. It ran dry and the plates were exposed :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I had to remove the floor board and a body panel to access my airbox so I could re-install my intake snorkel. Now I can actually ride at wide open throttle in this increasingly awful weather without it lean bogging. Less air = me going faster. Funny how that works sometimes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Probably Hates You posted:

<joke about size here>

they're for 7/8" bars so they'll probably fit :D

and yeah I picked the nasty condom colored ones.

Black phallic shapes make me uncomfortable.

Geirskogul posted:

Personally, I like that grip design and color. It reminds me of grips off of some old barn-find Triumph, or even Pope, or something like those. Hearkens back to the days before rubber-mounting of the engine, where instead they rubber-mounted the rider (in before "condom+mounting" jokes) with fat grips and sprung seats.

Exactly. They're designed after the AMAL grips of the 60's.
The best part is the fat section in the middle that offers a lot of palm support and the grips themselves are really tacky (natural gum rubber???) so I don't have to white knuckle it around town.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

What's wrong with the clutch?

I gotta put...the actuator(?) on the new lever.

On the bottom side is an allen hole.

On the back of the actuator is a flat head cut away.

I'm not quite sure how to take it apart without loving it up.

I also need to remove the fitting that feeds from the reservoir and replace it. Lastly, I'm having a real pain in the dick time trying to remove the clutch assembly from the line, it's not reverse threaded, right? I wish I had a bench vice...

I'd love your input.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mcqueen posted:

I'd love your input.

on the "actuator"
That flat head screw adjusts the piston position and thereby the amount of fluid (volume) per stroke.
It's not meant to be used as a clutch adjustment so much as just setting the piston to the proper position. You should mark this screw to note it's factory position.

Turn it left and it backs the screw out which makes your clutch lever engage closer to the handle bar (later in pull)
Turn it right and it makes the lever engage farther from handlebar (sooner in pull)

If you do gently caress with it, make sure there is at least a little bit of free play in the lever otherwise your master cylinder won't bleed back properly and/or you'll be riding the clutch all the time.

If you hosed with it too much then you're gonna have to figure out where to set it. Ducati.ms tells me,

quote:

"Screw it in until you see no movement in the fluid, then back it off 1/2 turn at a time until you see movement in the fluid"

Now, how the gently caress you snapped off the reservoir feed nipple I have no idea. I didn't even think those were replaceable. You might be hosed.
If it is indeed threaded in then start with a left handed drill bit.
Or try and chisel it out like you would a bearing retainer.
If that doesn't work then you might as well take a Dremel to it since it's probably a lost cause at that point.

Edit:
I did a bunch of ride related stuff the past couple days.
Still nothing to my ride though :smith:

I set up a makeshift spray booth.

I also got my buddy's bike back up to state safety inspection standards because he refuses to get vintage plates.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 29, 2011

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Roommate cleaned and unfucked his carbs for the second time and got his beater XJ600 running. I managed to give it a little bit of a wheelie accidentally after riding it back from filling it up and it even started cold this morning without drama, so the bike is getting serviceable.

I have to fix my bike too... :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Did the spark plugs on the F4i. Now I have banged up knuckles. Tried first by taking off the radiator like the service manual says, and that was impossible, so I took off the tank & airbox like normal people. The little tool that comes in the kit with the rubber insert is an awesome thing. Thanks Honda! :cool:

The old ones are all carbon-fouled:

The service manual has a bunch of solutions for why they ended up grungy, but I'm unsure where to start.

Also, I noticed that one of the screws holding the seat-holder bracket and the tank down in the back has chewed up the first 1/4 of the threads into the frame. :saddowns: