Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazedmongoose
Dec 25, 2007

"...oh if only I weren't so fat..."
Thanks! Notorious is the correct one. It's been bugging me for a few days.

Also definitely not House on Haunted Hill for the second. Okay I'll put down everything I know about it:

- Surrealist film, and like original wave surrealism as well, think Dali etc.
- Short (I think)
- Woman shrouded in black drifts down street in one scene, up some outdoor stairs in another, all scenes in daylight
- 20's, at the latest very very early 30s
- Probably French
- Name might be that of a woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honest Horst
Dec 22, 2005
reliability is MY business...
okay guys, here's my problem:

it's an animated movie (maybe some weird french/japanese co-production) perhaps from the 70s or 80s that looks a little like les maîtres du temps (which sadly it isn't). the story involves an alien planet where some kind of genocide is going on. i remember lots of graphical violence, a sad setting and that a frog was part of an space ship crew but yeah, my memories may fail on that one.

sorry, not more information, i suck at explaining stuff...

been looking for that for quite a long time but without success yet. goons, you're my only hope :smith:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dr. Honest Horst posted:

okay guys, here's my problem:

it's an animated movie (maybe some weird french/japanese co-production) perhaps from the 70s or 80s that looks a little like les maîtres du temps (which sadly it isn't). the story involves an alien planet where some kind of genocide is going on. i remember lots of graphical violence, a sad setting and that a frog was part of an space ship crew but yeah, my memories may fail on that one.

sorry, not more information, i suck at explaining stuff...

been looking for that for quite a long time but without success yet. goons, you're my only hope :smith:

Fantastic Planet?

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 22, 2011

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Another possibly French movie request. Surreal extremely blue science fictiony looking poo poo about blue naked spacegods doing naked stuff, possibly together? I've only seen a trailer and a poster but now that I remembered it it's bugging me that I don't know the name.

Dr. Honest Horst
Dec 22, 2005
reliability is MY business...

morestuff posted:

Fantastic Planet?

thank you for helping me :)

from the synopsis i just read it could be that one. perhaps. but on the other side - does fantastic planet involve space crews? i remember that a couple of people were travelling to that planet because of some reason. also, i don't remember really huge beings...

edit: found a trailer for fantastic planet. sadly i believe that isn't the one. "mine" looks less arty, more like a typical asian animation movie. mmh...

Dr. Honest Horst fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 22, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sarkozymandias posted:

Another possibly French movie request. Surreal extremely blue science fictiony looking poo poo about blue naked spacegods doing naked stuff, possibly together? I've only seen a trailer and a poster but now that I remembered it it's bugging me that I don't know the name.

This also sounds like Fantastic Planet

Crazedmongoose
Dec 25, 2007

The unfortunate mental state where every movie description sounds like The Fantastic Planet.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Here's a request for a boat movie, and somehow it's not a part of TCM's "All Aboard!" theme this month.

It's a black-and-white movie from anywhere in the 1930s to 1960s. Some people are on a boat (a ferry or a cruise ship) and they discover they are dead. Some passengers are judged en route by a Saint Peter-type conductor, where they plead their case for heaven or struggle to cope with their situation. The climax comes when the boat reaches the end of the voyage/purgatory, and the passengers disembark to heaven or hell depending on their judgments. A young couple is the last to leave, and they won't separate because maybe one of them is going to be sent back to earth because it's not his/her time yet? It's a good "Twilight Zone" kind of a movie.

This was on TCM some time ago last spring. I can't remember a single actor and an exhaustive keyword/synopsis search through Google and IMDB has been absolutely no help. Movies this is not: Ship of Fools, One Way Passage, The Last Voyage

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

me and my friend could only come up with the following description as it was somewhat boring:

friend posted:

the plot was like... some kind of social gathering... possibly a dinner or a ball
people talked a lot
it was long
everyone else at the screening was like "wow so great to watch this serious famous intellectual movie"
i saw it screened at the cooper union in 2006 haha"

Can anyone name this?

FURTHER DETAILS:

friend posted:

al i see in my mind's eye
are fat bald white men in suits talking

:lsd:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

me and my friend could only come up with the following description as it was somewhat boring:

My Dinner With Andre? It's got....some of what you're asking about.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

FitFortDanga posted:

This also sounds like Fantastic Planet

It's live action and made in the last ten years.

EDIT: It was Immortal (2004)

I probably should have mentioned the pyramid(s).

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 22, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

morestuff posted:

My Dinner With Andre? It's got....some of what you're asking about.

It's not this, but thanks. I'm also pretty sure that the english name of the film begins with "the", if this helps anyone at all.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Here's a request for a boat movie, and somehow it's not a part of TCM's "All Aboard!" theme this month.

It's a black-and-white movie from anywhere in the 1930s to 1960s. Some people are on a boat (a ferry or a cruise ship) and they discover they are dead. Some passengers are judged en route by a Saint Peter-type conductor, where they plead their case for heaven or struggle to cope with their situation. The climax comes when the boat reaches the end of the voyage/purgatory, and the passengers disembark to heaven or hell depending on their judgments. A young couple is the last to leave, and they won't separate because maybe one of them is going to be sent back to earth because it's not his/her time yet? It's a good "Twilight Zone" kind of a movie.

This was on TCM some time ago last spring. I can't remember a single actor and an exhaustive keyword/synopsis search through Google and IMDB has been absolutely no help. Movies this is not: Ship of Fools, One Way Passage, The Last Voyage
Between Two Worlds.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone name this?

FURTHER DETAILS:

:lsd:

Gosford Park maybe?

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Action Jacktion posted:

Between Two Worlds.

This is it! Thanks a bunch.

How could I forget John Garfield?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

Gosford Park maybe?

I don't think that was it, this was definitely made before 1970.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I don't think that was it, this was definitely made before 1970.

Try 'The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie', 'The Exterminating Angel', 'Last Year at Marienbad', or maybe 'La Dolce Vita'.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007
Was flipping through the channels at 4am last night and caught the end of this bad horrorish movie. Was hoping someone could give me the name.

I remember there was a gang of ghosts/demons in human form, with the devil as their leader. They were holding a group of friends hostage to perform some satanic ritual. The gang were all dressed in 50's era clothing. One of them had headphones on. The two main characters get away, the devil lets them go and gives them his car. This movie was modern, probably less than 5 years old.

Crazedmongoose
Dec 25, 2007

Okay the plot thickens on my 20's avant-garde short film. I was discussing it with a friend of mine who studied art history and is a part time gallery curator, so she really knows her poo poo. She says she also remembers seeing something like this, but that it MIGHT NOT EVEN BE Surrealism.

It was DEFINITELY one of the big modernist movements though, so the next bet is German Expressionist. And before anybody says, no, it's DEFINITELY not The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

edit: I FINALLY GOT IT

The film is called Meshes of the Afternoon, a famous 13 minute long avant garde film made in 1943. It's kind of eery and psychological, and available on Google vids for any film fans who want to watch it.

Crazedmongoose fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 22, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'm trying to remember a movie based a single snippet of a scene, and a poorly remembered one at that. I remember a character saying something to another dude with the word "negligible" in it, while stuffing his mouth. He was saying it in a sort of weird squeaky voice, and the whole character gives off this nerdy-pathetic vibe. Puts me in mind of Kutner from House for some reason (but it isn't him, and the scene isn't from House.) It's definitely supposed to be a funny scene, but I can't remember if the movie itself is supposed to be funny. (Probably?)

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

mt1 posted:

Was flipping through the channels at 4am last night and caught the end of this bad horrorish movie. Was hoping someone could give me the name.

I remember there was a gang of ghosts/demons in human form, with the devil as their leader. They were holding a group of friends hostage to perform some satanic ritual. The gang were all dressed in 50's era clothing. One of them had headphones on. The two main characters get away, the devil lets them go and gives them his car. This movie was modern, probably less than 5 years old.

That sure sounds like Sometimes They Come Back which is twenty years old.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

What movie is this?

http://i.imgur.com/T1HVG.gif

It's probably :nws:

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

penismightier posted:

What movie is this?

http://i.imgur.com/T1HVG.gif

It's probably :nws:

Night of the Creeps

It took me forever to remember who that character actor was (David Paymer) even though I've seen him constantly in movies and television nearly 30 years.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 23, 2011

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
In this movie there is a girl. She is in need of adoption, but the man she wants to be adopted by cannot adopt because he is a single man. The girl has an odd pet. Like something that is usually only seen as a wild animal. Like a squirrel or a raccoon or something. At the end the man gets together with a woman in a little serendipity and he can adopt the little girl. I saw this in the early to mid 90s on VHS and it was buried in the general release section of the Family Section so it was nowhere near new. I want to say it took place in France and was dubbed into English, but I'm not actually sure of that one.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

That sure sounds like Sometimes They Come Back which is twenty years old.

Close, but thats not it. The ending had the two main characters run away from the ritual, the devil catches up to them and spares their lives, saying whats coming next is worse than death. Then he gives them his car, saying he wont need it anymore.

Edit: This got answered in the PYF horror movie thread. The movie is The Violent Kind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1472195/.

mt1 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 23, 2011

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ashenai posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie based a single snippet of a scene, and a poorly remembered one at that. I remember a character saying something to another dude with the word "negligible" in it, while stuffing his mouth. He was saying it in a sort of weird squeaky voice, and the whole character gives off this nerdy-pathetic vibe. Puts me in mind of Kutner from House for some reason (but it isn't him, and the scene isn't from House.) It's definitely supposed to be a funny scene, but I can't remember if the movie itself is supposed to be funny. (Probably?)

You sure this isn't from the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Kramer switch apartments and thus start switching personalities? Here's the clip.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Origami Dali posted:

You sure this isn't from the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Kramer switch apartments and thus start switching personalities? Here's the clip.

It is! Thank you!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
This is going to be vague, but I only saw the opening scene to this documentary in one of my film classes back in college, and we never went back to the film. It opens on a house, with a boy and I think his mother sitting on the porch. The doc is about the boy, that had some sort of mental and/or behavioral problems. I seem to recall his mother yelling at him for some reason in that first few minutes we watched. That's all I really know. I think it was probably made in the early or mid 90s, and the title might have had the boy's name in it.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Not strictly to the thread title, but I figure someone should know this easy.

Does anyone know what the piece of music in Midnight in Paris is when Gil and Adrianna are walking through Paris at night and they come across Zelda Fitzgerald. It's like a slow accordion piece. It's this piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM881MVkz9Y

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Detective Thompson posted:

This is going to be vague, but I only saw the opening scene to this documentary in one of my film classes back in college, and we never went back to the film. It opens on a house, with a boy and I think his mother sitting on the porch. The doc is about the boy, that had some sort of mental and/or behavioral problems. I seem to recall his mother yelling at him for some reason in that first few minutes we watched. That's all I really know. I think it was probably made in the early or mid 90s, and the title might have had the boy's name in it.

Ill say "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape" but its not a documentary.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

robix smash posted:

Does anyone know what the piece of music in Midnight in Paris is when Gil and Adrianna are walking through Paris at night and they come across Zelda Fitzgerald. It's like a slow accordion piece. It's this piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM881MVkz9Y

Not sure, but this website might help.

God I hate Owen Wilson.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

oldpainless posted:

Ill say "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape" but its not a documentary.

Nah, it was definitely a documentary.

Conquest For Death
May 15, 2006

Bonus posted:

Hi I'm looking for a movie. It's a movie made in the late 80s I think. It's set in New York and it's about graffiti (possibly also breakdancing and other hip-hop stuff) and there's dudes writing graffiti on trains and some crews have beefs and I think one guy dies because another graffiti dude chases him and he gets fried on the subway tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_DZoCiPnOc
Beat Street. The whole thing's up on youtube if you're interested.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

MrGreenShirt posted:

Not sure, but this website might help.
Nope. It has a few songs from Midnight in Paris, but not that one.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I remember a long time ago seeing a clip of a scene from a certain movie on these forums. I think it was from a 'favourite scenes/camera shots' thread or similar. It was a shot of a city, sort of what it'd look like if you were in a helicopter moving over a city. It was at night and the camera gets closer and closer to the stadium, eventually panning over the crowd and then stopping face-to-face with a character and then the scene continued. It was all one single continuous shot. For some reason I thought it may have been Brazil, but I don't think that's it. Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

4 Day Weekend posted:

I remember a long time ago seeing a clip of a scene from a certain movie on these forums. I think it was from a 'favourite scenes/camera shots' thread or similar. It was a shot of a city, sort of what it'd look like if you were in a helicopter moving over a city. It was at night and the camera gets closer and closer to the stadium, eventually panning over the crowd and then stopping face-to-face with a character and then the scene continued. It was all one single continuous shot. For some reason I thought it may have been Brazil, but I don't think that's it. Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

The Secret of Their Eyes

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Hello CD.
I've got two that I cannot for the life of me remember the names of.
Both are German (the versions I've seen both had subtitles), set in the modern day (I think), are live action and both star rats as their antagonists.
One has a generalised rat plague, and has a group of exterminators as the heroes. There's a female doctor as the love interest and her daughter gets bitten at one point.
The other involves a literal army of rats. The only thing I remember about this is a scene where the leader of the rat army talks to the human lead in a sewer chamber or something.
Hopefully this rings some bells.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Necrotomaton posted:

Hello CD.
Both are German (the versions I've seen both had subtitles), set in the modern day (I think), are live action and both star rats as their antagonists.
One has a generalised rat plague, and has a group of exterminators as the heroes. There's a female doctor as the love interest and her daughter gets bitten at one point.
The other involves a literal army of rats. The only thing I remember about this is a scene where the leader of the rat army talks to the human lead in a sewer chamber or something.
Hopefully this rings some bells.

There were the movies "Ben" and it's sequel "Willard" about this general idea in the '70s. "Ben" was notable for Michael Jackson penning a hit song for the soundtrack, Ben was someone's pet rat.

I don't know if these are the films you're looking for, though.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Necrotomaton posted:

Hello CD.
I've never seen them, but I remember some TV productions from a few years ago, Ratten & Ratten 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Zwabu posted:

There were the movies "Ben" and it's sequel "Willard" about this general idea in the '70s. "Ben" was notable for Michael Jackson penning a hit song for the soundtrack, Ben was someone's pet rat.

I don't know if these are the films you're looking for, though.

Ben is the sequel to Willard.