Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Yeah, it's possible to do it after hitting once or twice with it, but it'll sometimes throw off the combo and then nova just looks stupid punching the floor. 3 hits on air S = you're golden.

OTG Cent L is 99% guaranteed off 1 or 2 hits.

And if that whiffs, well, you recover fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

All of my Nova combos are designed to push my enemy into the corner, or get a bunch of damage in the corner. They all do at least 700k for 1 meter, or 510k for 1 meter off of a throw. I have something like 5-6 different reset options off of all of these combos, because I end them all in the same manner I don't have to learn any special resets for any of them.

I'm also using Virgil rapid slash assist to force blocks in the corner, or make otherwise unsafe normals and specials safe. I know combos off of the virgil assist with a large number of high/low mixup starters, and yes, all of these combos off of virgil assist can be neded for about 650k damage for 1 meter or with a reset.

Nova also gives my point character (ghost rider) unblockable reset set ups anywhere in screen, for a total of 960-1,050k damage.

This character is amazing. I also don't use a single fly/unfly combo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Blinn posted:

I've been playing Nova the most lately, I like him a lot and my combo of choice is-
code:
MHS, delay the super jump so the next S gets all the hits, MMHS, forward+H S, MMH, jab projectile, super
does like 680k with full mashing and should DHC properly into Frank based on what I'm seeing.

Speaking of mashing- I've been doing some testing into how to get maximum hits every time with the fewest button presses and whatnot- I've found that binding the 2 extra buttons on my stick to L+M+H and using my index and forefingers to tap them both with a moderate but regular rhythm gets 100% mash damage every time and without too much effort. Not sure if that's useful for anyone, but I figure I'm the only one crazy enough to test mash mechanics.

I did mash testing a few days back. Every hit in a mashable super has a just-frame input that can add an extra hit. Obviously, this means that mashable supers with many quick hits require actual mashing (like Supernova) as opposed to Phantom Dance which doesn't require much mashing at all. I ended up mapping the buttons just like you did and doing exactly what you're doing.

My go-to Nova BnB is the following:

It gets you almost all the damage of the flight-cancel H combos with none of the execution requirements. There's a huge difference between having a combo that gets potentially 750k if you concentrate really hard and getting 735k from a combo that you literally can not gently caress up without outright dropping the controller (ask any Wolverine player and compare to Dante/Magneto players). This frees me up for things like hit confirms.

I'm experimenting with Centurion Rush mixups. Shopping Cart, wait for the opponent to block, and Centurion Rush M or L depending on which way they're blocking. But I'll have to change the above combo if I use the M version since my ground bounce will be used up.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

How many bars does it build, can it cover the cost of maximum nova?

;)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I did mash testing a few days back. Every hit in a mashable super has a just-frame input that can add an extra hit. Obviously, this means that mashable supers with many quick hits require actual mashing (like Supernova) as opposed to Phantom Dance which doesn't require much mashing at all. I ended up mapping the buttons just like you did and doing exactly what you're doing.

My go-to Nova BnB is the following:

It gets you almost all the damage of the flight-cancel H combos with none of the execution requirements. There's a huge difference between having a combo that gets potentially 750k if you concentrate really hard and getting 735k from a combo that you literally can not gently caress up without outright dropping the controller (ask any Wolverine player and compare to Dante/Magneto players). This frees me up for things like hit confirms.

I'm experimenting with Centurion Rush mixups. Shopping Cart, wait for the opponent to block, and Centurion Rush M or L depending on which way they're blocking. But I'll have to change the above combo if I use the M version since my ground bounce will be used up.

I do Centurion rush combos with virgil rapid slash assist. I suggest leading in with some sort of ground/jump normal+assist call and then doing the rush. Even if they pushblock your normal they still have to block the rush, and if your assist lasts long enough you're safe. Or you can do another low/overhead if you did get blocked and feel like being risky.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
What's the deal with Nova's rocket punch super? It seems like it does dismal damage. I don't have the New Testament yet so I haven't been able to verify.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Corduroy posted:

What's the deal with Nova's rocket punch super? It seems like it does dismal damage. I don't have the New Testament yet so I haven't been able to verify.

You can press a button and a direction and then it hits again (and again, if you so desire). It also goes through pretty much any projectile.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

It's projectile immune and when it hits you need to do direction + attack direction + attack to maximize its damage.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Captain Corduroy posted:

Really really projectile invulnerable. You can xfactor cancel it into a big damage combo, or, with certain teammates, DHC into a big damage combo. I think it's start up is also quite fast, but I'm not 100% on that.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Okay, on 8 on the break just now, Chris G made Phoenix Wright look not so bad. He was running Wright/Morrigan/Dante, and turtled until he got the levels for a team hyper combo. He used it and searched for all his evidence during the time, and switched into Morrigan who spammed fireballs and Wright invincible assist. It looked really, really frustrating.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
The follow-ups to Nova tackle also allow you to move the opponent to pretty much anywhere on the screen you'd like.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Just spent like an hour in the lab getting that flight mode combo down and practicing DHCing into Frank- thanks for help Shadow Ninja. I also found awesome White/Red colour synergy with Nova 6, Frank 3, Wesker 6 so the most important aspect of the team is decided.

The only reason I can see that the fly/unfly combo is absolutely necessary is if it's literally your first hit in the match and you need the full bar- so I'll learn it for that situation. Otherwise though, I'll probably just end up doing magic series.

Also, if you use shopping cart + dash over the opponent to open them up you won't be able to get the level 5 combo, just a level 4 one but that's good enough I suppose for if that situation arises- it seems this happens because you can't call Nova assist if you called Frank assist during the combo.

Time now for me to learn some Frank level 4 and 5 beastly combos to dish out the damage.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Ladies and gentlemen, Chris Redfield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaRDgXc6VN8

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anyone else playing Viewtiful Joe or Firebrand? I usually use one or the other on point, and I'm trying to work out some decent team synergy.

My team setup usually something like Joe/Firebrand on point, Joe/Firebrand/Strange in second, and Spencer/Hawkeye as anchor. Any thoughts?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dosvidanya posted:

How many bars does it build, can it cover the cost of maximum nova?

;)

If you start with a jab or assist before doing so, it builds exactly 1 bar. By itself, it's like 98% of a meter which is close enough for me. I do a lot of javelin pressure so I have meter to spare.

Blinn posted:

Also, if you use shopping cart + dash over the opponent to open them up you won't be able to get the level 5 combo, just a level 4 one but that's good enough I suppose for if that situation arises- it seems this happens because you can't call Nova assist if you called Frank assist during the combo.

The reason for this is because you get one of each assist button in a single combo. So if you did a combo that used Shopping Cart as A1 and then somehow reordered your team so Shopping Cart was A2 you could use it twice in a single combo. The other side is what you've found, that Shopping Cart early in a combo means that Frank can't use Assist 1 after the DHC no matter who it is.

I've found that Level 4 is good enough. Camera can be used instead of step kick to OTG, and it'll get you to level 5 if you mashed Supernova properly (Frank should have like 90ish experience).

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 23, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anyone else playing Viewtiful Joe or Firebrand? I usually use one or the other on point, and I'm trying to work out some decent team synergy.

My team setup usually something like Joe/Firebrand on point, Joe/Firebrand/Strange in second, and Spencer/Hawkeye as anchor. Any thoughts?

I'm actually playing both of these characters, haha!

My team is Joe/Firebrand/Sentinel. To be honest I'm not particularly happy with it and might change in the future. Joe and sentinel go wonderfully together, as do firebrand and sentinel. Joe and firebrand just don't really do much for each other.

Hawkeye sounds like a really sweet anchor for that team. His assist should let you do really rude keepaway with Joe, and great crossup tricks with Firebrand DP+M and QCB+M. I also highly recommend Sentinel if you're down with that character. Drones is ridiculously helpful for Joe and Firebrand.

The only good DHC I've found between the two characters is do long-rear end joe combo into sj.S, into OTG six machine cannon. Then you can DHC into Firebrand's power up super, and combo into his qcf+s surfboard move. This takes the opponent to the corner and gives you a wall bounce, after which you can do a few things:

Most simply, you can launch, air S, then OTG super if you have the meter. Probably not worth it unless you need to kill a character.

You can also call drones at this point, and do launch into air S to make them wake up into the drones for a mixup opportunity.

Or, you can do a pretty mean reset. After the wall bounce, dash away from the corner to put the opponent in it. Then hit them with standing jab, then cancel into qcb+m. If they air tech forwards or backwards, you can air throw them, after which you get a full combo. If they neutral tech, you can do flying S to hit them on the head, or you can do qcb+l to land and go low. Very tough to block, I love it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dieminion is playing a kickass keepaway Joe with Morrigan meter building and Strange right now in The Break.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone else feel like damage increases went too far? It feels like Bread and Butter combos can 100% sometimes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blinn posted:

Time now for me to learn some Frank level 4 and 5 beastly combos to dish out the damage.

I don't know if these are necessarily optimal, but they're at least a good start:

Midscreen:
s.M (3 hits) c.M(3) s.H(like... 5 hits?) c.H S sj.M(3)M(3)H S land OTG qcf+H S sj.M(3)M(3)HS land [Snapshot OR H Roundhouse Kick] XX qcb super

I haven't tested this, but after the ground bounce from the qcf+H you might be able to get a regular jump loop or two of j.M(3)M(3)H land S.

Corner:
s.M(3) c.M(3) s.H(5) XX qcf+M, forward jump j.M(3)M(3)H land forward jump j.M(3)M(3)S land S sj.M(3)M(3)H XX qcf+L, M(1)S land [Snapshot or H Roundhouse Kick] XX qcb super

For this one, I have a lot of trouble landing the M(1)S in the air at the end, so I either try and leave out a few hits on the preceding sj.M before the sj.H XX qcf+L, or I just wuss out and cut the qcf+L entirely.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm actually playing both of these characters, haha!

My team is Joe/Firebrand/Sentinel. To be honest I'm not particularly happy with it and might change in the future. Joe and sentinel go wonderfully together, as do firebrand and sentinel. Joe and firebrand just don't really do much for each other.

Hawkeye sounds like a really sweet anchor for that team. His assist should let you do really rude keepaway with Joe, and great crossup tricks with Firebrand DP+M and QCB+M. I also highly recommend Sentinel if you're down with that character. Drones is ridiculously helpful for Joe and Firebrand.

The only good DHC I've found between the two characters is do long-rear end joe combo into sj.S, into OTG six machine cannon. Then you can DHC into Firebrand's power up super, and combo into his qcf+s surfboard move. This takes the opponent to the corner and gives you a wall bounce, after which you can do a few things:

Most simply, you can launch, air S, then OTG super if you have the meter. Probably not worth it unless you need to kill a character.

You can also call drones at this point, and do launch into air S to make them wake up into the drones for a mixup opportunity.

Or, you can do a pretty mean reset. After the wall bounce, dash away from the corner to put the opponent in it. Then hit them with standing jab, then cancel into qcb+m. If they air tech forwards or backwards, you can air throw them, after which you get a full combo. If they neutral tech, you can do flying S to hit them on the head, or you can do qcb+l to land and go low. Very tough to block, I love it.

This is super helpful, thanks! I've been shying away from Sentinel as of late since I find myself using level 3 x-factor Sent as a crutch, but the drones are incredibly tempting. Maybe I'll do something like Joe or Firebrand/Sent/Hawkeye? Time to experiment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Some nova crap.

All of my Nova combos end with nova strike L, air dash down, jH. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. I can spend a meter to super nova off of this of course, but that's not the point to this post.

I hit that last jH as close to the ground as I possibly can, done right, this leaves the enemy recovering in the air at about Nova's chest/head height, provided I don't finish the combo with a hyper anyway. In addition I've got enough left over hit stun from that last jH that I can jump up and block my enemy from teching out of the corner.

I usually call an assist when I go for this reset, but the basic idea is, I can go for an air throw or jL jM jH, both options can of course be followed with combos.

Instead of doing this I can cancel that last jH into fly on hit and hold up a bit, this will also block my enemies air tech and allow me to force them to guess jL/throw, but it prevents me from calling an assist.

Last, and honestly probably least, at this height Nova has time to super jump after doing the super nova hyper and catch the enemy with jL or an air throw as they recover, but this set up doesn't prevent the enemy from teching out of the corner.

After the super nova hyper it's probably possible to do an energy javelin to interfere with the enemies escape attempts as well, but I have no clue if this could lead into any sort of reset.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Chris Redfield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaRDgXc6VN8

Hmm, I guess I'll pick up Chris again. I gave him a little play around in the training room and his gun cancel is definitely a sweet addition.

http://youtu.be/m3lG7UcQwKk
UMVC3 Drinking Game!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Revitalized posted:

Hmm, I guess I'll pick up Chris again. I gave him a little play around in the training room and his gun cancel is definitely a sweet addition.

http://youtu.be/m3lG7UcQwKk
UMVC3 Drinking Game!

I don't know that it really helps him that much though, since he could always do plenty of damage and his super-jump zoning game was sweet to begin with. He still has no viable anti-air. He's always been a very viable character, I just don't know that his buffs were anything that great.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

I don't know that it really helps him that much though, since he could always do plenty of damage and his super-jump zoning game was sweet to begin with. He still has no viable anti-air. He's always been a very viable character, I just don't know that his buffs were anything that great.

well I mean cause I would sometimes catch people with the magnum off guard, but I never really knew what to do after that once they've bounced across the screen and onto the floor.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

Revitalized posted:

I'm thinking of constructing an "Eat it" team with Ghost Rider ("EAT CHAIN!"), Chris ("EAT LEAD!") and Tron ("IT'S LUNCHTIME!")

Who else makes people eat things?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Doorselfin posted:

I'm thinking of constructing an "Eat it" team with Ghost Rider ("EAT CHAIN!"), Chris ("EAT LEAD!") and Tron ("IT'S LUNCHTIME!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xATi_9seuk#t=20s

The magic man does. :colbert:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Doorselfin posted:

Frank throws pies, does that count?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doorselfin posted:

PINEAPPLE SURPRISE

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
You can also make team "ya like that" by choosing anyone from the cast at random, or team "face me" (every team is team "face me").

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Does anyone have a link to the Break stream? I would like to look back and see this Chris G Phoenix Wright shenanigans.

Nuuds P00dle
Jun 28, 2011

smash em crash em bash em:shroom:
I started experimenting with hawkeye more and more, his zoning game is crazy and gimlet with have your opponent stuck for good. Does he have a OTG besides ice arrow?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

His forward m allows you to combo of the ground and all of his trick shots allow you to otg into gimlet.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Time for another addition in "What the Christ, Capcom:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kXJO5VxA4&feature=player_embedded

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Ybrik posted:

His forward m allows you to combo of the ground and all of his trick shots allow you to otg into gimlet.

Thought I'd add a little more. Poison OTG has a steeper angle and faster startup, so it doable from angles others are not, but generally you want ice at least once for the ground bounce relaunch.

Forward M is pretty much mid-screen only, see what kind of assists you can land in this situation.

Also Super scatter shot and his level 3 are direct OTGs

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

legoman727 posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Break stream? I would like to look back and see this Chris G Phoenix Wright shenanigans.
https://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm playing Wright(Witness)/Doom(Missiles)/Chun, mostly because Wright and Doom work well together and Chun-Li is my best character.

My main issue is the fast crowd - Zero, Wesker, and Nova. Zero's diagonal-from-above attack avoids my Turnabout Phoenix assist, and all of his attacks put me in a ton of pressure - even blocking and pushblocking I feel like I can't keep him off of me long enough for Chun to do anything about it. Same with Wesker - intense pressure, and hitting a teleport with missiles isn't enough to deter them. Nova's good because he can prevent me from getting any evidence with his single-hidden-missile-like attack which comes in faster than I can look for a single piece of evidence.

I definitely need to learn Doom better, I pretty much only use him as an assist right now. Are there individual Assist Me-type videos for Ultimate MvC yet? I only saw a few and they've all been new characters, like Iron Fist.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dear god Hawkeye / Dante / Sentinel is an annoying team in the hands of a competent player.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
GGs UKTEE whoever you are....you're a goon right?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's a good fight stick for the PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's a good fight stick for the PS3?

Madcatz TE is always a good choice!

• Locked thread