Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuG
May 3, 2002
Kitsune <3<3<3
I want to introduce the two terrors of my life who I wouldn't change for anything!

This is Mishka the Siberian when she was a little baby.

This is her now eating shoes and being a total lesbian!

This is her new BFF Kody the Malamute.

Tired after a whole day of doing nothing.

I asked him a question about science here.

Bonus Mishka and Kody pic. Kody is 8 weeks here and Mishka is almost 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

A husky and a mal? Living the dream! :allears:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

BuG posted:

I asked him a question about science here.

LOOKIT HIS FACE! LOOK IT HIS PRECIOUS FACE! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Oh my god so cute. Mals when they are at the 6-10week mark are just about the most adorable things ever.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

You guys don't know about the mal puppy needleteeth.

BuG
May 3, 2002
Kitsune <3<3<3

Warbadger posted:

My poor feet sure do Kody loving hates socks of all types and Mishka did when she was small too. When she got a bit older she just started eating them whole. It was fun having to pull half a sock out of her rear end :(

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Warbadger posted:

The heck I don't.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Hi, i just ran through the thread of cuteness and :3

I recently found this beauty abandoned on the side of the road and we had to take her in. Her name is Eve and she is the kindest cutest dog ever. My wife always wanted a dog but our previous apartment was to small but thankfully we just moved and she came into our lives.

Now i need help identifying the breed/breeds the first vet i went to said Akita but she is a crappy vet that i needed to check her out. My usual vet (we have a cat) says samoyed. I kind of see more sammy but i am in no way an expert. What do you guys think?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I am sorry about the multiple posts but since waffle images went down i don't know how to put several pictures in one post

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 7, 2011

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

just_a_guy posted:

Hi, i just ran through the thread of cuteness and :3

I recently found this beauty abandoned on the side of the road and we had to take her in. Her name is Eve and she is the kindest cutest dog ever. My wife always wanted a dog but our previous apartment was to small but thankfully we just moved and she came into our lives.

Now i need help identifying the breed/breeds the first vet i went to said Akita but she is a crappy vet that i needed to check her out. My usual vet (we have a cat) says samoyed. I kind of see more sammy but i am in no way an expert. What do you guys think?

Cutie! How big is she? I can definitely see Akita, but possibly a little bit of Sammy as well.

Also, use imgur or sometimes I use Photobucket.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Thanks! Here are some more photos of my beauty.

1st time i saw her
]

The cat who hates her...

Feeling very depressed...

Going for a walk

In the rain...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I see more Samoyed than Akita. Looks very Samoyed even, but the fur doesn't seem.. Fluffy enough. Maybe it will come with time.

She's cute as hell though, congratulations. :)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Eve reminds me a lot of a chow. I think it's the stocky look she has. Whatever she is, she's adorable. :3:

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Thanks guys, she really is adorable (and not too much of an rear end in a top hat). I fell in love with the look of disdain she gave me when i tried to have her play with a ball.

She is not a young pup though. She is close to 10 according to the vet.

One more of my two old timers. (my cat is also close to 10)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 8, 2011

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I see more Samoyed than Akita. Looks very Samoyed even, but the fur doesn't seem.. Fluffy enough. Maybe it will come with time.

She's cute as hell though, congratulations. :)

Now that I can see all of her, I definitely agree, she absolutely looks like a Sammy but with a weird coat. It looks like it might have been shaved or trimmed almost? Or possibly mixed?

She looks like a doll! :3:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like a Samoyed but that maybe when she was younger someone tried to shave her and thus hosed up her coat? =/

If she's easy going and sweet she's probably a Samoyed. They are quite possibly the nicest, easiest going of all of the primative breeds. (they can be super lazy though.)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah, the full body pictures look very Samoyed to me, but again slightly messed up coat or something. She looks adorable :3:

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
Poor Ben just got neutered last Friday.. here are a couple pictures of him rockin' the cone.

This one was taken about the second we got him home. He looks quite sedated still.

Sleeping it off.

He's doing great; we just can't wait to be done with the cone.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Action shots! You guys cannot imagine how proud she is about having that empty milk carton.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Is it normal for breeders to be bad about emailing? I emailed the breeders from
http://www.setsuzanshibas.com/index.html two weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me. Should I call them? I want to know how much money I need to save :ohdear:
And how do they look by PI standards?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:3: Have I ever said how much I love Ben's markings? I love Ben's markings.

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Is it normal for breeders to be bad about emailing? I emailed the breeders from
http://www.setsuzanshibas.com/index.html two weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me. Should I call them? I want to know how much money I need to save :ohdear:
And how do they look by PI standards?

I've totally heard of them before, you picked a good breeder. ;) IIRC they are also listed on the Shiba Club of America's breeder listing.

And yeah, notoriously bad, to be honest. There is one here in Dallas, Roscka Kennels, while amazing, is the worst in communication, unfortunately. She's just always so busy with shows and breeding schedules etc.

I would totally call them up. Say that you had sent an email and just wanted to touch base with them and get to know them better. As a rule of thumb, I've found breeders are not very Internet savvy and do better with more traditional means of communication.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
That's awesome, I'll try to call them tomorrow! :)

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
First snow-hike of the season. Breaking powder is tough work when you keep getting high-centered on your belly.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Our Icelandic Sheepdog has fleas. :( Since his fur is so thick, it's been really difficult to get rid of them. Any advice?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Look into something that works from the inside out. I assume you're using something topical at the moment? I use Comfortis with my dogs and it works great. It's prescription in the US but you can buy it online without a prescription.

Edited to add that it sounds dodgy, but it's not. You're just buying the Australian version of Comfortis cause it's not prescription here.

Also of note is that it can cause seizures so you shouldn't use it if your dog is epileptic etc. and should consult a vet before going to buy it for the first time.

6-Ethyl Bearcat fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 25, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Look into something that works from the inside out. I assume you're using something topical at the moment? I use Comfortis with my dogs and it works great. It's prescription in the US but you can buy it online without a prescription.

Echoing this, great for dogs that have a lot of coat or spend a lot of time outdoors. Winter fleas are a huge bummer, been there. :|

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

Fun at the beach.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cross posting from the sports thread. :)

So I mentioned before how the Czechoslovakian Vlcak Club of America was working on a breed specific test. Well, our president just posted the proposed idea, and it is one hell of a "sport"! I don't have time to get into specifics, but later I can answer any questions anyone might have about what the specific parts are. Here's what she wrote:

So...I have been brainstorming on what a breed survey of the future might look like (what schutzhund is to the German Shepherd)...here are a few thoughts, again just thoughts - please chime in! And who wants to attend a bloodhound mantrailing trial???

I. Breed Survey
1. Conformation Rating (Bonitation)
2. Character Rating
a) Close crowd
b) Friendly stranger approach/greeting to handler
c) Gunshot
d) Unusual sound (Can rattling)
e) Unusual Visual (opening umbrella)
f) Strange Dog
g) Accept Friendly Stranger/Aggressive Stranger (handler not present)
h) Unusual footing (tarp, chain link, etc.)
i) Reaction to nearby traffic (bicycle, large truck, horse, etc.)

3. Trailing or Tracking Certification Test (Bloodhound EECT or AKC Tracking Certification Test)
II. Breed Specific Training Test
1. Level 1
a. Obedience 1
b. Trailing 1 or Tracking 1 (Bloodhound MT or AKC TD)
c. Endurance 1 (SVP 1)

2. Level 2
a. Obedience 2
b. Trailing 2 (Bloodhound MTI or AKC TDX)
c. Endurance 2 (SVP 2)

3. Level 3
a. Obedience 3
b. Trailing 3 (Bloodhound MTX or AKC VST)
c. Endurance 3 (SVP 3)

III. Optional Versatility Training Tests
a. Working Agility 1
b. Working Agility 2

a. Nosework 1
b. Nosework 2

a. Protection 1
b. Protection 2

a. Lure Coursing 1
b. Lure Coursing 2

a. Herding 1
b. Herding 2

a. Drafting 1
b. Drafting 2

Resources

Bloodhound Mantrailing
http://www.bloodhounds.org/trailing...iling%20ABC.pdf

AKC Tracking
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RU9999.pdf

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

Philip J Fry posted:

First snow-hike of the season. Breaking powder is tough work when you keep getting high-centered on your belly.

That looks awesome, I'm looking forward to Ben's first snow experiences.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I apologize for the terrible quality and this picture should probably just be in Post Your Pet but I wanted to bump this thread. In any case, Kaidan really likes Community and does not want to see it canceled:

I'm going to try to take some time this weekend to pull all of my pictures off my cameras and maybe photodump kaidanpics.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

Cross posting

omg, wb, I'm tired just from looking at that! That's one hell of a list! :aaa: (I've never looked into spots before, are they all so intimidating? Totes sign me up for mantrailing.)

rivals posted:

I apologize for the terrible quality and this picture should probably just be in Post Your Pet but I wanted to bump this thread. In any case, Kaidan really likes Community and does not want to see it canceled:

I'm going to try to take some time this weekend to pull all of my pictures off my cameras and maybe photodump kaidanpics.

Community better not be cancelled because of the slot move. :catstare:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Evil Kaidan!! :neckbeard:

I *think* I remember my husband saying they at least picked it up for another season, but he tells me about a LOT of shows, so that could've been something else.

paisleyfox posted:

omg, wb, I'm tired just from looking at that! That's one hell of a list! :aaa: (I've never looked into spots before, are they all so intimidating? Totes sign me up for mantrailing.)

Some things can be pretty in-depth, but if you look at the way things are broken down, this test is made up of a bunch of smaller things. It's broken into 3 parts, likely with titles to accompany them, instead of ONE blanket one for everything:

1) Breed Survey - Not so much a sport as it is a temperament/conformation/aptitude for work test. Broken into 3 parts on its own, Conformation (which is judged off of a score card of the breed standard, not against other dogs, so you actually rate the dog as opposed to saying, "This dog is better than those other dogs." Judging against the standard itself, instead.), Temperament (similar to CGC or the tests they give shelter dogs before adoption), and a Trailing/Tracking certification since it's such an integral part of what the breed should be able to do.

2) Breed Specific Training Test - This would be the CsV portion similar to how Schutzhund is broken down. Where Schutzhund has Obedience, Tracking, and Protection, we would have Obedience, Tracking or Trailing, and Endurance (the dog has to run along side a bike for x amount of miles on different terrains, depending on the level of the title.)

3) Optional Tests - Since the breed is supposed to be versatile, and owners are encouraged to try any sports they feel their dogs would have fun with, these were thrown in as a way to prove that the dogs are indeed equipped to physically handle anything you might want to do with them. Believe it or not, the sports listed are all things people have successfully participated in with their CsVs! :haw:

So, yeah, there's a lot to it, but when you break it down you see it's really not that bad. Just a hell of a lot to participate in if you have the desire. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

Community better not be cancelled because of the slot move. :catstare:

WolfensteinBag posted:

Evil Kaidan!! :neckbeard:

I *think* I remember my husband saying they at least picked it up for another season, but he tells me about a LOT of shows, so that could've been something else.

I haven't been paying enough attention but I hope that's the case.

I've been keeping up with the CsV community off and on, Marcy's pups are looking adoooorable. Also I've been spending way too much of my time looking at Japanese Akitas lately and I want one so badly. No time or space for a third dog right now though so I must live vicariously through people on youtube.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm taking the plunge! I'm thinking either the black female or male from http://cutesiberianhuskies.com/ Is that breeder ok? I found him on the AKC site. Also does anyone have any book recommendations on raising Huskies and a obedience school in North New Jersey? Thanks in advance.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

KidDynamite posted:

I'm taking the plunge! I'm thinking either the black female or male from http://cutesiberianhuskies.com/ Is that breeder ok? I found him on the AKC site. Also does anyone have any book recommendations on raising Huskies and a obedience school in North New Jersey? Thanks in advance.

Uhhhh :stare:

There isn't any information that I can see on the parents - their results for genetic health testing (hip tests, etc), WHY these dogs are being bred (what are they titled in? are they good workers? are they champion showdogs?), etc, as far as I can tell.

That the site is suggesting yay christmas puppies ('They will be ready to go to your home RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS this year') is a huge red flag too. Christmas is definitely not the time of year for puppies.

Yeah this looks like a BYB. I'd look elsewhere.

E:
The site also refers to potential new puppy owners as 'customers'. Christ.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fraction posted:

Uhhhh :stare:

There isn't any information that I can see on the parents - their results for genetic health testing (hip tests, etc), WHY these dogs are being bred (what are they titled in? are they good workers? are they champion showdogs?), etc, as far as I can tell.

That the site is suggesting yay christmas puppies ('They will be ready to go to your home RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS this year') is a huge red flag too. Christmas is definitely not the time of year for puppies.

Yeah this looks like a BYB. I'd look elsewhere.

E:
The site also refers to potential new puppy owners as 'customers'. Christ.

Aw drat I thought since he was on AKC he would be good. I'll keep looking then.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

It's usually better if you look through a local breed club.

Try this for some breeder referrals:

http://www.gsshc.com/breederreferral.htm

http://www.njshc.com/NJSHC.com/About_Siberians_%26_Breeder_Referral.html

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

AKC registration means literally nothing in terms of quality and responsible breeding. There's a bunch of info in the puppy thread about buying from breeders or someone here can probably recommend one.
Things you want from a breeder:
Health & genetic testing
Parents are either titled working dogs or champion show dogs
A breeding plan (why are these specific dogs being bred, how the breeder plans to improve the breed etc)
Spay/Neuter contract
Breeds a very small number of dogs each year
Requires the puppy to be returned to the breeder in the event you can no longer care for it

I'm sure there are other things I forgot as well, but that's at least a starting place. "Cute[x]puppy" urls are generally going to be a super bad place to get dogs. Names that that usually shout "puppy mill" from pretty far off.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the info guys. I shot emails out to those breeders from GSSHC. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

KidDynamite posted:

If you could get your hands on this book, it's really the best in terms of letting you know what to expect. The woman who wrote it helped developed the Siberian in its infancy. Most breed books you'll see are published by people who put books out about ALL breeds, so you won't get as many specifics. It's also good to look up breed specific rescues. Not only are they fantastic for telling you about the rougher aspects of the breed, you may just find a rescue dog you'll fall in love with. :) Huskies are great candidates for rescue since they love all people and are a naturally healthy breed. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
Here's a pic of our two Malamutes, Leila and Loki, just before a walk to the shops.

• Locked thread