Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

of bees posted:

I actually didn't get that joke, what was he talking about there?
What would a father not want his teenage daughter to have until she's at least mature enough not to refer to it as "poppop?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Cubone posted:

What would a father not want his teenage daughter to have until she's at least mature enough not to refer to it as "poppop?"

I'll be honest: I stared blankly at this post for what seemed like an eternity before it finally dawned on me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

of bees posted:

I actually didn't get that joke, what was he talking about there?

There's an episode of Arrested Development where Michael Cera is hiding his his grandfather, who has escaped from prison, in the family attic. He has also recently gotten a girlfriend and nobody really understands why he's dating her.

Is she funny or something?

His dad says he can't date her because he's not ready to have a girlfriend but really it's just that nobody likes her 'cause she's really weird.

The family thinks his grandfather is dead and throws a funeral for him in the house. Michael Cera smuggles deviled egg hor's d'ouveres (gently caress spelling that I don't care) out of the party for his Grandfather, hiding in the attic. Given his girlfriend's love of eggs-

She sometimes takes a little pack of mayonnaise and she’ll squirt it in her mouth all over, and then she’ll take an egg and kind of… Mmmm! She calls it a “mayonegg”.

- the family thinks he is secretly hiding his girlfriend in the attic.

Eventually he comes clean with his father. "I have pop-pop in the attic"

His fathers response: "I can tell by the fact you call it that that you're not ready."

If you have not seen Arrested Development, I really really really suggest just jumping the gently caress in and buying the DVDs 'cause they end up being super cheap all the time. It's a show filled with constant callbacks and references not unlike MSPA. You won't catch half the jokes the first time around, either. Or the second. Or the third.

It was the best situational comedy ever on television :qq:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Sockser posted all that while I was typing a one-sentence question that the above post answered.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 23, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sockser posted:

It was the best situational comedy ever on television :qq:

Also apparently it doesn't use a laugh track? I might pick it up just for that, so I can see what sitcoms from bizzaro-world America are like.

e/ Although if nobody is telling me when to laugh at Michael Cera, I'll probably forget to.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 23, 2011

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
E: wait, DO I get it? I gotta watch AD again

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 23, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also apparently it doesn't use a laugh track? I pick it up just for that, so I can see what sitcoms from bizzaro-world America are like.

What's interesting about Arrested Development, at least for the people in this thread, is that it likes to do the same sort of fractal-comedy that Homestuck does.

A joke will go off, and it'll be okay. But then a few episodes later, they'll reference it in a completely different way which makes it even funnier. And they'll keep doing this.

Also, it doesn't really rub your face in the jokes. Stuff will be going in the background that you won't pick up until your 3rd watching that makes poo poo even funnier.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 23, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Arrested Development and Homestuck are so similar in their self-referential style it's uncanny

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Okay so the picture of John on the wall looks kinda shittyly drawn and pixellated. At first I was like "that's weird, I mean there is a standardly drawn Stuffed John right there". I think the joke is that since it is an older photograph, the resolution is lower? Kinda like a black and white photo for computer-drawn people.

YggiDee posted:

I love how casually Dad tosses around appliances :swoon:

I was sad when Equius died, solely because it meant there would be no STRONG-off between Dad and Equius

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Well, it being November now, at least that fireplace is somewhat seasonally appropriate.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Sockser posted:

Eventually he comes clean with his father. "I have pop-pop in the attic"
His fathers response: "I can tell by the fact you call it that that you're not ready."

I'm a huge AD fan, but this one must have slipped by me. My first thought reading the update was, Dad's saying she wasn't ready to play SBURB because she still thinks attics are a thing. She needs to build up!

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

Cavatica posted:

I'm a huge AD fan, but this one must have slipped by me. My first thought reading the update was, Dad's saying she wasn't ready to play SBURB because she still thinks attics are a thing. She needs to build up!

That's what I thought too, despite having seen that episode of AD just a few days ago :doh:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cavatica posted:

Since the word ablution has been thrown around a few times in this universe, I thought it was going to be like the troll way of using weird/archaic words to describe things. Like he expected her to call it the garretblock or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

creationist believer posted:

Since the word ablution has been thrown around a few times in this universe, I thought it was going to be like the troll way of using weird/archaic words to describe things. Like he expected her to call it the garretblock or something.

Excuse me but referring to things like that is a habit of UNCULTURED LOWBLOODS. Noble highbloods refer to their showers as showers, possibly while regarding some fine art.

Dad wouldn't want Jane to be talking like a lowblood, would he?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Slime posted:

Excuse me but referring to things like that is a habit of UNCULTURED LOWBLOODS. Noble highbloods refer to their showers as showers, possibly while regarding some fine art.

Dad wouldn't want Jane to be talking like a lowblood, would he?

You might be a lowblood if the taxidermied remains of your ancestors are stored in your garretblock!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

Nahhh, Homestuck just really likes finding ways to say things starting with the letter A. Like Abscond.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Honestly I wish Hussie would cut it out with the AD jokes. We get it, you're white :rolleyes:

It ain't easy being white.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I have never watched Arrested Development so all this poo poo is flying over my head, thank you for explaining.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I have never watched Arrested Development so all this poo poo is flying over my head, thank you for explaining.
Seriously, get on that poo poo. Pretty sure the whole series is on Netflix, and the DVDs are dirt cheap.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

minimalist posted:

On the topic of horses and insanity, has Hussie been made aware of this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LINXH8/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I cannot imagine he has not.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Is someone trying to drive the Hetalia advertisement off with a bid war? That slot is the only one with such a high price.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Well, the last page or so has finally convinced me to track down some Arrested Development.

Also, I thought the quote was referring to the attic as well.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Plom Bar posted:

Seriously, get on that poo poo. Pretty sure the whole series is on Netflix, and the DVDs are dirt cheap.

I'm going to risk all of my carefully collected internet cred (none) and admit I did not enjoy Arrested Development at all. I found it way too cringe-inducing and the humour was far too reliant on the idea of a tolerant but flawed and put-upon family member having to put up with all of his family's crap when he should've ditched them ten minutes into the first episode.

The whole thing was like a will-they-or-won't-they plot, only unlike those plots where there's some distant promise of movement, Arrested Development seemed trapped in a self-made family hell forever.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Dolash posted:

trapped in a self-made family hell forever.

Hence the title!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dolash posted:

I'm going to risk all of my carefully collected internet cred (none) and admit I did not enjoy Arrested Development at all. I found it way too cringe-inducing and the humour was far too reliant on the idea of a tolerant but flawed and put-upon family member having to put up with all of his family's crap when he should've ditched them ten minutes into the first episode.

The whole thing was like a will-they-or-won't-they plot, only unlike those plots where there's some distant promise of movement, Arrested Development seemed trapped in a self-made family hell forever.

Almost sounds like its plot development was arrested.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really like the first season of Arrested Development but after that it just disappears up its own rear end and, worse than that, loses the heart and sincerity it started out with. The characters just become weird, unlikable vehicles for jokes, which for me doesn't really work in a sitcom. Some of the jokes are good but much of it just feels plastic and inhuman.

Also I think the Anne thing is a terrible running gag and not funny at all. "Michael doesn't want his son to date a girl because she's plain" is like as shallow as the comedy wading pool goes.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Also I think the Anne thing is a terrible running gag

Who?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Ahahaha, I was reading through the archives again. If you look in the background of one of the conversations between Jadesprite and Davesprite, you can see Unreal Air finally make its way to Skaia

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh my god, the Sister Claire ad that was on the site. On the sweet bro and hella jeff page, they bought a sbahjified version of the ad.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Tw1tchy posted:

Oh my god, the Sister Claire ad that was on the site. On the sweet bro and hella jeff page, they bought a sbahjified version of the ad.

That's... that's dedication right there. I like the "got kitten" in the background.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.

Tw1tchy posted:

and there she goes.... the si†er alair hass the tenn

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Holy poo poo Jane :stonk:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Such a wonderful Jade callback. :allears:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Here, have some more callbacks!

Edit: (mostly) beaten

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Oh hey more callbacks.

I assume Poppop John was easier to deal with when he was alive.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
"this is a perfectly deadly gun and it shoots lots of incredibly deadly bullets!" is one of my favorite Jade related quotes. There's been a lot of great callbacks in Act 6; I love it so much.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh hey more callbacks.

I assume Poppop John was easier to deal with when he was alive.

Certainly more open to discussion, I'm sure.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

And now we know that Jade and Jane share the same insanity gene.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tw1tchy posted:

That ad costs just eight cents in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So I guess when John grows up he's going to have a terrible mustache and look like a great big cornball?

That's unfair of me, I suppose. Poppop Crocker is really more 'of his era'.