Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

Yes, you can. I've long toyed with the idea of making 8x10 slides of photos and presenting them as lightboxes (of course, illumination degrades slides pretty quickly).

If slide duplication is relatively perfect (fine grain, good lens, etc) and your slides will be well-cared for you could probably do second- or third-gen copies. Copy the original onto 4x5 masters, then enlarge the masters onto 8x10, then contact print. That would ensure longevity and quality with minimal damage to your original.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Yes, you can. I've long toyed with the idea of making 8x10 slides of photos and presenting them as lightboxes (of course, illumination degrades slides pretty quickly).
At 150 lumens per square centimeter (typical slide projector with EXR bulb,), Ektachrome and will suffer 20% dye loss in about 200 minutes. A light box would put out significantly less light compared to surface area to get the same brightness, so you could probably get at least a few hundred hours, more with adequate UV blocking glass on both sides.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
screw on fish eye attachments are cheap, and fun.

IMG_0003 by OjaiYoda, on Flickr

jodys
May 30, 2006

Reichstag posted:

You might consider using an electroluminscent panel, rather than tungsten or fluorescent fixtures. Advantage: thin, white light, disadvantage: kinda expensive. Also, I think lightbox illumination can make prints look pretty good too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I just finished listening to the mammoth 3hr film photography podcast where they went to the PDN in NY, and they had some interesting news regarding Kodak. They spoke with the boss of the film devision, and he stated that they had been seeing a gradual increase in film sales over the last few years, but nothing particularly outstanding until this year. In the first 9 and a 1/2 months of 2011, the photographic film devision has made the same amount of revenue as it had in the whole of 2010, really highlighting the strong pick up in film sales.

And the guy who organises the large/ultra large format world wide buy up for Kodak film, said he had orders in excess of $125,000 last year too, and he's defiantly seeing an increase.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So based on the recommendation on the last page, I looked for Acros 100 on amazon, and it says it will take up to 6 weeks to deliver. Has this been discontinued? I want to try it out, but I don't want to wait until after Xmas.

Also getting into the MF game. Open to other suggestions. Is there a big difference between T-max and Tri-X at 400 speed?

E: gently caress it, ordered a 5 pack of acros 100 and tmax 100.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 21, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

red19fire posted:

So based on the recommendation on the last page, I looked for Acros 100 on amazon, and it says it will take up to 6 weeks to deliver. Has this been discontinued? I want to try it out, but I don't want to wait until after Xmas.

Also getting into the MF game. Open to other suggestions. Is there a big difference between T-max and Tri-X at 400 speed?

E: gently caress it, ordered a 5 pack of acros 100 and tmax 100.

Buy film from B&H or Freestyle if you're just buying film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

red19fire posted:

Is there a big difference between T-max and Tri-X at 400 speed?

T-Max is what's called a "tabular grain" film. Normally, the silver halide crystals that capture your image are cubic, but Kodak discovered a way to make them flat and, well, tabular. This reduces the grain size for a given speed. So, you'll get a finer grain on T-Max film, but you'll have less wiggle room in development. Also, non-tabular grain films push a little better, in my opinion. I would take Tri-X over T-Max any day. Ansel Adams would too :911:

Ilford's Delta line and Fuji's Neopan line are also t-grain films. I would pick either of those over T-Max, personally. Neopan > Delta > T-Max, in my mind.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 21, 2011

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

Spedman posted:

I just finished listening to the mammoth 3hr film photography podcast where they went to the PDN in NY, and they had some interesting news regarding Kodak. They spoke with the boss of the film devision, and he stated that they had been seeing a gradual increase in film sales over the last few years, but nothing particularly outstanding until this year. In the first 9 and a 1/2 months of 2011, the photographic film devision has made the same amount of revenue as it had in the whole of 2010, really highlighting the strong pick up in film sales.

And the guy who organises the large/ultra large format world wide buy up for Kodak film, said he had orders in excess of $125,000 last year too, and he's defiantly seeing an increase.

good with rumors of kodak going under this seems like some hope. trix 400 and tmax3200. the two bestest black and white films imo.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Just a quick question for the rangefinder dorkroomers. How much is a Leica IIIf with a working worth? Also does it make sense to buy one and then throw an russian lens like an Industar 61 on it? There's a guy offloading a body only from a collection and I was wondering how much I should be bidding up to.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've seen IIIf bodies go for around $250. It's the M-mount stuff everyone wants.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thanks for the advice folks, I have a box of tmax 100 and acros 100 coming in 120 from freestyle. Spectacular pricing.

I have all my chemicals mixed to develop my first rolls today, I just want to double check my process here:

Developer, stop bath, fixer, hypo clear, water rinse, photo flo, then hang to dry?

And I should save the used fixer to be recycled properly, but everything else can go down the drain?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You don't need stop bath. It does what it's supposed to, sure, but some people (i.e. me) use water instead because it allows the developer to work in the blacks a little longer.

But basically, yes. My process is:

Developer -- at the time required by your film
Water/rinse -- 1 minute
Fixer -- 7 minutes (my fixer is getting old, I need to mix up some new fixer)
Rinse -- 1 minute
Hypo Clear -- 2 minutes
Rinse -- 10 minutes
Photo Flo -- 1 minute
Hang to dry

You can re-use your fixer until it runs out. Every few rolls, you can test it out on the leader you cut off from the end of the film to make sure it's still good. T-grain films should be fixed for 5 minutes or so, regular-grain films a little longer. Minor details though :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

T-grain films should be fixed for 5 minutes or so, regular-grain films a little longer. Minor details though :)

The other way around, traditional films are 2-3 minutes in fresh fixer, while tabular grain films are 4-5 minutes in fresh fixer.
(Although Ilford's docs don't say anything about that, just "2-5 minutes for general purpose film" in their Rapid Fixer, those numbers also quoted in both the HP5+ and Delta 400 papers.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoops

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Trambopaline posted:

Just a quick question for the rangefinder dorkroomers. How much is a Leica IIIf with a working worth? Also does it make sense to buy one and then throw an russian lens like an Industar 61 on it? There's a guy offloading a body only from a collection and I was wondering how much I should be bidding up to.

Don't plan on shooting the I-61 wide open or close up. The Russians built their rangefinders with the assumption of a different focal length. It's 52.3mm vs the Leica 51.6mm - close enough for wide angle lenses or uncritical work, but under demanding conditions you may notice the difference in focus.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

You don't need stop bath. It does what it's supposed to, sure, but some people (i.e. me) use water instead because it allows the developer to work in the blacks a little longer.

But basically, yes. My process is:

Developer -- at the time required by your film
Water/rinse -- 1 minute
Fixer -- 7 minutes (my fixer is getting old, I need to mix up some new fixer)
Rinse -- 1 minute
Hypo Clear -- 2 minutes
Rinse -- 10 minutes
Photo Flo -- 1 minute
Hang to dry

You can re-use your fixer until it runs out. Every few rolls, you can test it out on the leader you cut off from the end of the film to make sure it's still good. T-grain films should be fixed for 5 minutes or so, regular-grain films a little longer. Minor details though :)

Thanks so much, I tried to follow this as close as I could. Fixed for 5 minutes, got a little squirrely with the rinse times (10 agitations, fresh water, Hypo for 20 agitations, fresh water, 20, fresh, 30, photo flo), but everything looks awesome (and properly exposed). I'll try to get it scanned asap. This is addictive, I'm never doing one-hour photo again.

How long does drying usually take? I'm using lead weights from my dad's old dark room, baller as gently caress.

E: It's raining outside, so 100% humidity.

E2: When I poured out the hypo, the liquid was pinkish, but the dried film seems to be purple-tinted. Did I not wash it long enough? the water was clear by the end of the rinsing cycle.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 23, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

red19fire posted:

How long does drying usually take? I'm using lead weights from my dad's old dark room, baller as gently caress.

Depends on temperature and humidity. Higher the heat, the quicker it'll dry, as long as the humidity is low. Using a (clean!) hairdryer on low, and not too close to the film (keep it moving) can speed it up if you're impatient.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress is this poo poo and why does it think it has the right to come and sit in my skies?

it's not dust.

this is acros, developed normally in 1+50 rodinal, as per Paul MaudDib's recommendations. this poo poo also shows up on some of my earlier shots on Pan F and other films in Xtol.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo and why does it think it has the right to come and sit in my skies?

it's not dust.

this is acros, developed normally in 1+50 rodinal, as per Paul MaudDib's recommendations. this poo poo also shows up on some of my earlier shots on Pan F and other films in Xtol.

Did you use stop bath on your film?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

It looks like Fuji pepper grain, but I haven't previously heard of that happening on anything but their transparency films.

If it is pepper grain, it should go away scanned at a lower resolution or wet scanned. ICE would also clean it up if it weren't silver halide.

e: vvv Yeah, thus "if it weren't silver halide."

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 23, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
ICE doesn't work with black and white film. It smudges up everything.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

atomicthumbs posted:

it's not dust.

This looks like you got dust on the negative before you developed it, preventing the developer from getting to the emulsion and so leaving tiny white spots on the negative, which show up on the print/scan as black spots.

They look too numerous and small to be air bubbles in the developer, but that can also cause the same problem.

Best way to avoid dust is to presoak the film for 2 minutes or so before adding the developer. If this is medium or large format film you should do that anyway to avoid surges.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I usually do a prewash with running water while I mix my developer

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Molten Llama posted:

If it is pepper grain, it should go away scanned at a lower resolution or wet scanned. ICE would also clean it up if it weren't silver halide.

e: vvv Yeah, thus "if it weren't silver halide."

ICE wouldn't clean it up even if it were a finger print or dust or whatever.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm prewashing my film, and there's no dust in the developing room where I do it. I'm using water as a stop bath, though. Should I pick up a gallon of odorless stop bath (or vanilla stop bath)?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
On a side note, I love that when I develop Fomapan, it pours out as an awesome Ninja Turtle green :3:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

On a side note, I love that when I develop Fomapan, it pours out as an awesome Ninja Turtle green :3:

I developed Rollei Retro 80s last Friday and the prewash was blue and the developer or the stop bath or the rinse (I forget which) was purple.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm prewashing my film, and there's no dust in the developing room where I do it. I'm using water as a stop bath, though. Should I pick up a gallon of odorless stop bath (or vanilla stop bath)?

I would definitely get stop bath. I use the Kodak Indicator stop, it lasts forever, has low dilution so 1 bottle will last years. Considering the cost being negligible not using a stop bath is really a bad idea.

Try doing all your development (at least the soak and developer mix) with distilled or at least filtered water, if you aren't already. There are a number of complex chemical reactions that can occur that has been known to affect negatives in this way, usually involving the water mineral composition.

Also how are you loading your film? You could be getting dust into the film back which would also cause the same problems. It could be some deterioration of the light seals, which doesn't cause light leaks (yet) but is causing fine particles of dust to get into the film back. If it's an old camera it might just need a good cleaning.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Philadelphia Photographics wants $42 per roll to scan my film :sigh:, because I cut it into 5 frame strips for my binder pages.

Time to rig up a 'scanner' with my macro lens and flash.

E: vvv NOT NECESSARY!

GIRLS ON FILM

Possibly :nws:D7000 with macro lens shooting on top of a crappy speedlight softbox

:nws:Paper balanced on top of a speedlight

GIRLS ON FILM

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 24, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Christ, mail it to me and I'll do it for $20 :v:

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
I know I am late to the train on this one but, wow I never thought I would see plus-x disappear. I am a bit nastalgic because I learned to shoot with that film :(

As an aside I haven't shot plus-x in years. For 35mm it's fomapan100 and rodinal 1:50 8min for me.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Been using a D40 and then a D90 for a little over four years now and I've really wanted a D700. Because that's not in the budget, I bought a used F100 since most of my lenses aren't DX and would be usable on it. Went out and tested it out with a few rolls of whatever 400 speed Kodak film Target carries and then just went to Target to get them developed. I love the look even with the basic film and developing. Looking forward to getting some different film and trying my own developing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Picked up a Canonet QL 17 for 800 yen at a flea market today. Didn't notice the fungus in the lens when I bought it, but should be doable to disassemble it and clean it out. Now to find a battery...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How long can I realistically expect an unopened bottle of HC-110 to last at room temperature?

I found an unopened bottle of HC-110 in my laundry room that has to have been sitting there for about two years probably, the last time I worked with film.

Is it worth keeping around or is it most likely useless at this point?

I'd love to get back into film at some point in the next few months so I'm starting to clean my old kit.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Unopened? It's almost assuredly completely fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yup, completely unopened. That's good to know then. I'd rather buy an extra few rolls of AP for those few bucks. Thanks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Martytoof posted:

Yup, completely unopened. That's good to know then. I'd rather buy an extra few rolls of AP for those few bucks. Thanks.

AP?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arista Premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Martytoof posted:

Arista Premium.

Oh duh. I swear sometimes I think Arista Premium 400 and Arista.EDU (at least in 120) are the best kept secrets in film photography.