Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Welp, lets see how my launch characters survive the conversion to f2p

EDIT: Cool it throws a shitload of error text over the archetype buttons when I hit convert and I can't read them

EDIT2: Restarting game fixed it

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a new thing going up in the C-Store tomorrow.

For 80CP, you get a "Services Grab Bag." It contains a random item of your level, green to purple, and a token for a C-Store service. It ranges from 80 point crap like boosters, up to global costume slots, retcons, character slots etc. It is a total gamble, though.

Also going up tomorrow are 800 day vet rewards. You get a title, retcon token (for every character, existing and future), a costume slot (Again, every character), a free costume change token (Everyone), and 40 hideout shared bank slots.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

For 80CP, you get a "Services Grab Bag." It contains a random item of your level, green to purple, and a token for a C-Store service. It ranges from 80 point crap like boosters, up to global costume slots, retcons, character slots etc. It is a total gamble, though.

Well that would explain what happened to the gift boxes. Those were so useful on the PTS.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Anyone got any experience with this?
Last night we had a power outage. I was in the middle of playing Champions. When I started it up this morning it was running extremely slowly. I shut it down to try and figure out why, and when I started up the game again, my computer shut down mid-load screen. This happens every time I try to start the game, and only then.

Now the game has been working fine for a week so far. No known issues with my rig, the game ran smoothly and everything worked fine until now. When I think about it, I was running extremely slowly in zombie apocalypse last night, but then again I joined at the very end of a match, with tons of zombies and aoe effects all over the place. Also, it wasn't nearly as slow as it was this mornin, when even the inklines around my character lingered for several seconds in place whenever I moved.

I've googled the issue, and every solution I can find blames it on the PSU or overheating. It shouldn't be the PSU, it's more than adequate for what I've got running. I've done a complete wipedown of anything that could draw unnecessary amounts of CPU power, de-dusted my entire rig and tweaked my settings to keep the fans running at 100% at all times and set all the settings to failsafe. I've scanned for and removed viruses, and verified the game files. I'm out of options here, any ideas?

e: Current core temperature is hovering at a comfortable 40 degrees, down from 70 after I de-dusted and optimized everything. Seems to shoot up to at least 51 when I get to the loading screen.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 10, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Not... entirely sure what the point of this is, but they must have had a lot of luck with the other cheap random buys. I guess it's a good way to clear out those c-store point remainders anyway, if need be.

quote:

Also going up tomorrow are 800 day vet rewards. You get a title, retcon token (for every character, existing and future), a costume slot (Again, every character), a free costume change token (Everyone), and 40 hideout shared bank slots.
Nothing too unique it sounds, but "one of basically everything" is quite handy. The bank slots are handy too, I sure haven't bought more and basically forgot it exists because the ten default slots was mostly useless.

Nastyman posted:

Anyone got any experience with this?
Last night we had a power outage. I was in the middle of playing Champions. (...) I've googled the issue, and every solution I can find blames it on the PSU or overheating.
Definitely sounds like one of those. Do you have a surge protector? It's quite possible whatever brought the power down sent a surge through the line and strained the PSU or something, which could cause problems even without directly overheating.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Asimo posted:

Do you have a surge protector?

I do, and wouldn't a PSU failure break everything else as well, or at least SOME other stuff? Right now absolutely everything except for Champions is running fine.

e: Gonna try and reinstall the game as well. I had hoped it wouldn't come to that, but you never know.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 10, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you tried other games, or just Champions?

Does CO have a file checker? Maybe the power outage messed up some install files?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Aphrodite posted:

Have you tried other games, or just Champions?

Does CO have a file checker? Maybe the power outage messed up some install files?

There is a verify files option, which I've ran without finding anything. My other games (Orcs Must Die, Borderlands, Fallout etc) all work fine. Better than fine, actually, after all this fine tuning and cleaning trying to get CO to work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, so probably not game or driver corruption.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a RAM test. CO is notoriously RAM hungry, and maybe your problem is there and those other games just aren't triggering it.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Aphrodite posted:

Okay, so probably not game or driver corruption.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a RAM test. CO is notoriously RAM hungry, and maybe your problem is there and those other games just aren't triggering it.

I'll give it a try as soon as CO is reinstalled (if it's still not working, that is), if I can make it before I leave for the weekend. Thanks!

e: Reinstall fixed everything :downs:
At least now my computer's running smoother than ever.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 10, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, got an idea for another CC.

We name all the categories after SGs that do their own CCs. If nothing else, the ad will confuse the hell out of people.

"Supergoons Costume Contest Saturday at 8. Categories are ARC, SPEAR, SODLAG, Dark Enforcers, All Stars and Blood Oathed Honor Bound."

I can mix it up too: "A.R.C. Costume Contest category today at the Supergoons costume contest" etc.

As for the actual categories, uh...
ARC would be something with electricity.
SPEAR would be Britney, obviously.
SODLAG is formal wear.
Dark Enforcers is Slutty (We can afford to get on their bad side. They suck.)
All Stars would be Space and/or Smash Mouth
Blood Oathed Honor Bound is orcs I guess.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So Dark Enforcers wouldn't be "Person most resembling Silverspar"? :eng99:

vvv Ahhh, okay, that sounds right. vvv

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 12, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silverspar isn't in it.

She's like Twilight Hunters or something.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Yo.

Is there a place where one could find up to date guides and recommendations and whatnot? Like, for example, I'd be interested in tooling around with the Celestial power set, but I'd like to know if there are definite 'don't do this' or 'you pretty much have to do this please'. I tried googling but the links point to things posted years ago, and in an online game such as this I reckon that sort of information must become somewhat out of date after so long.

So, uhm, yes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

raocow posted:

Is there a place where one could find up to date guides and recommendations and whatnot?

Yes. In the OP.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oops. Pay no attention to me.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 12, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here are tonight's winners.

In first and on the left, Mickey Man (Who should be obvious.)
In second was Piffle, on the right, as Gadget from Rescue Rangers.
In third and in the middle was Don Havoc, as Don Karnage from Talespin.

Bluhman also made an awesome Blastoise.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Here are tonight's winners.

In first and on the left, Mickey Man (Who should be obvious.)
In second was Piffle, on the right, as Gadget from Rescue Rangers.
In third and in the middle was Don Havoc, as Don Karnage from Talespin.

Bluhman also made an awesome Blastoise.
Huh, those are... actually a fair bit better than I expected to see. Not bad at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, that's because I didn't get a screenshot of Garfield.

Anyway, next CC we're going with the SG idea. We usually do 6 categories, so we need to decide on the 6.

ARC, SPEAR, SODLAG and Dark Enforcers are a must. For one of the others, I'm thinking Red Academy for one so we can have a Soviet category.

We also need to decide on what the theme is for some of them.

ARC - Electricity seems to be the obvious one here. Or Medieval (because Joan of Arc.)
SPEAR - Britney Spears. There's no debate. To make it gender fair, Britney Spears OR Kevin Federline.
SODLAG - Formal wear most likely.
Dark Enforcers - Probably slutty.
Red Academy - Soviets
??? - ???

And of course Supergoons for the Worst category.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2011

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Well, that's because I didn't get a screenshot of Garfield.

Anyway, next CC we're going with the SG idea. We usually do 6 categories, so we need to decide on the 6.

ARC, SPEAR, SODLAG and Dark Enforcers are a must. For one of the others, I'm thinking Red Academy for one so we can have a Soviet category.

We also need to decide on what the theme is for some of them.

ARC - Electricity seems to be the obvious one here. Or Medieval (because Joan of Arc.)
SPEAR - Britney Spears. There's no debate. To make it gender fair, Britney Spears OR Kevin Federline.
SODLAG - Formal wear most likely.
Dark Enforcers - Probably slutty.
Red Academy - Soviets
??? - ???

And of course Supergoons for the Worst category.
SODLAG, best penis costume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was thinking Formal Troll, but... they pay well.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
6th: Flare- Best (Worst) Pokemon

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I was thinking Formal Troll, but... they pay well.
But goons can not win their CC's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

The quick throw Frag Grenade power (the one that does not provide a tell) that several critters use will now just perform a Repel, rather than a Knock Back.

Finally. God drat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We need to set final categories for next week. Both the actual names, and the themes.

If nothing better comes up, these are what we're going with:

ARC - Electricity seems the best fit.
SPEAR - Britney Spears for the women, Shakespeare for the men. One prize for each.
SODLAG - Formal
Red Academy - Soviet
All Stars - Space

And of course Supergoons for Worst.

That gives us 6, plus the worst.

Dark Enforcers annoys me. I don't want to use them even for a bad category.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Latest Non-Adventures of Wonderella might as well be subtitled championsonline.png.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I came across something at the tailor tonight.

quote:

Name: Seycha Riikonen
Species: Human (Gothmoran)

Stranded from her home dimension Gothmora, she is currently under the tutelage of Ultimatum's Lady Victory, who supervises extra-dimensional cases. Despite her very young age, she can handle herself very well in combat, besting even fully grown males twice her age. She has an obvious advantage over earth-born humans though; the gravity of her home planet is much higher than earth's, so she has a very dense muscular frame and can lift things much bigger and heavier than she is as well as jump very high.

Combat is an everyday reality in her harsh homeland, so children are trained in the martial arts as soon as they can walk on their own. Where she's from, she is even considered to be a full-fledged warrior at her young age, since Gothmorans have a life expectancy of about 35 years due to the harsh living conditions of their homeworld and are ready for courtship at the age of 10. :pedo:

Even though she looks like a child, she does not consider herself nor act like one. She has a strong spirit and a very commanding attitude, which clearly makes most people uneasy when they are not forewarned. She will not take being patronized by anyone and regards any adult as an equal or even inferior if said adult does not posess adequate martial training.

:stonk:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That reminds me, haven't seen much in the way of horrible bios in this thread yet. Don't think Virtue on CoH gets to have all the fun! Time for folks to go do some... field research. :gonk:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I assume that the 35 year life expectancy is supposed to be a "no really guys it's not creepy and pedophillic 11 is actually pretty old" but then they go on about how she's young and is basically a child.

That's not how living things with short lifespans work, but good luck convincing anyone otherwise.

:negative:

Asimo posted:

That reminds me, haven't seen much in the way of horrible bios in this thread yet. Don't think Virtue on CoH gets to have all the fun! Time for folks to go do some... field research. :gonk:

Fine, fine, I'll go hit up Club Caprice and write some more "research papers" sooner or later.

If I don't drown in a pool of my own vomit first, that is. (or more likely just not find enough interestingly awful people to interrogate)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Okay, I want to make a child hero, but I really don't want to miss out on that sweet, sweet ERP. What to do?"

It's like Sophie's Choice, except Sophie is 12 and not of legal age to consent to that choice.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Okay so a bunch of cool games came out in the last few months and I let my subscription lapse. Can someone quickly summarize the notable changes that happened over the last couple of months?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Okay so a bunch of cool games came out in the last few months and I let my subscription lapse. Can someone quickly summarize the notable changes that happened over the last couple of months?

Uh... They've had a few power reviews, and Whiteout just started last week.

There's a new questline at 25 that lets you visit pre-pre-Crisis Vibora, and you missed Takofanes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'd recommend scrolling through the Champions Calendar for the months you missed, as it's easier than guessing which months you missed.

Main things of interest: a bunch of new powers (several in Unarmed, a few Munitions powers stemming from the Become Black Talon device). Golden Age, Sci-Fi and Pulp costume sets. New archetypes, new hideouts, an anniversary and a Halloween event that you missed.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

sentrygun posted:

Fine, fine, I'll go hit up Club Caprice and write some more "research papers" sooner or later.

If I don't drown in a pool of my own vomit first, that is. (or more likely just not find enough interestingly awful people to interrogate)

Caprice has really gone downhill. Other places to check are Sherrerra's in MC and The Minefield in Vibora (Bonus points for catching someone in the doors while RP walking.)

Of course, with hideouts, the most :spergin: of the roleplayers have hidden out of sight, though I did see two furries lesbianing it up just outside the tailor last night as well :gonk:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Mewnie posted:

Caprice has really gone downhill. Other places to check are Sherrerra's in MC and The Minefield in Vibora (Bonus points for catching someone in the doors while RP walking.)

Of course, with hideouts, the most :spergin: of the roleplayers have hidden out of sight, though I did see two furries lesbianing it up just outside the tailor last night as well :gonk:

Hideouts, the bane of my existence.

The worst of people (and the best of targets) are more than willing to spend fifty dollars on a furry moonbase. drat them! :argh:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My congratulations go out to Cryptic/Perfect World for creating their most pathological C-Store item to date.

quote:

Infernal Grab Bag

The Cursed Grab Bag contains a Tradeable Archetype Item that unlocks the Cursed Archetype and several costume unlocks with a fiery aura that you get a chance to have each time you open one.

What can you get in the Grab Bag? You will always get one piece of gear, ranging from green to Purple quality that is appropriate for your level and one consumable item. You also get a chance at the Cursed AT Item and Cursed Aura Costume Pieces.

So... if you spend 800 CP on ten grab bags, you have a CHANCE at getting the ten new costume pieces... if you hit the right random number ten times in a row.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably just bad wording. Most likely you're guaranteed at least a costume piece.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hope so, but the release notes are pretty specific.

quote:

You will get one of the following consumable items below:

* Boosts
* Recovery 4 Pack
* Healing 4 Pack
* Energy 4 Pack
* Damage Buff 4 Pack
* Heroic Comeback 4 Pack
* Ren Cen Teleport 4 Pack

In addition, each time you open the Cursed Grab Bag you will also have a chance to get The Cursed Archetype and the Cursed or Scourge costume pieces.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I ordered a couple boxed copies of Champs from bestbuy.com the other day. They were like 3 dollars a copy, and had free shipping. Just letting you guys who don't have lifetime subs know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Light Gun Man posted:

I ordered a couple boxed copies of Champs from bestbuy.com the other day. They were like 3 dollars a copy, and had free shipping. Just letting you guys who don't have lifetime subs know.

I recall there were mixed results with using retail keys for subscribing. Either way, at that price, doesn't really hurt to be wrong.