Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Wasn't she not supposed to be showing that to anyone? I feel like I must have missed or forgotten something.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Elysiume posted:

Wasn't she not supposed to be showing that to anyone? I feel like I must have missed or forgotten something.

She wasn't supposed to tell anyone in the forest about it but Coyote apparently doesn't mind if she tells the court.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The knife is apparently still a secret but Annie did manage to remove Coyote's rear end in a top hat tag.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
And Annie just pulled out Chekov's gun.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I swear I should've remembered the tooth and it wouldn't have been as much of a "oh duh" moment with my brain.

So this was all engineered by Coyote to remove Jeanne from the river, he is a good trickster.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Uh oh.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a BAD idea?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In retrospect, if you're going to have an invincible spectral guardian bound to your river of the damned by the weight of her grief and torment, you probably should not then recruit centuries of meddling kids with magical powers, tell them it's a big mystery, and ignore their attempts to solve it. It's a lesson hundreds of Scooby-Doo villains have learned over the years.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's gonna be funny when that tooth doesn't work outside the forest and Annie just looks like (more of) a weirdo. Just carryin' around this here toof.

Also that she makes Renard eat it and then hork it up when she wants it.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

Also that she makes Renard eat it and then hork it up when she wants it.

Between that and his previous use as a bully frightener / walking lockpick, I now imagine she basically treats him like the Luggage from Discworld.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ka0 posted:

The knife is apparently still a secret but Annie did manage to remove Coyote's rear end in a top hat tag.

I think the band dissipated naturally when she came home from the forest. Coyote don't give no shits what the court people know, but he's presumably got some stake in the forest folk being kept in the dark about favours he's doing for a human.

Or he's just dicking around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, maybe. Put a terrifying bond on her, then when she tries to use it, it does nothing. Oh Coyote you prankster!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't he say that knife was so powerful it could 'split the very earth itself'?

Parley better not miss.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It isn't very diplomatic to bring an ICBM to a swordfight, guys.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MikeJF posted:

Didn't he say that knife was so powerful it could 'split the very earth itself'?

Parley better not miss.

She BETTER miss, or no more robot :saddowns:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My suspicion is that no Jeanne = no bond restricting Coyote's power to his side of the river. It's probably in everyone's interest that Coyote's power is kept in check, so this is going to be very bad news and possibly someone is going to have to sacrifice their life at the end of it to restore the seal. Or maybe that's too dark for Gunnerkrigg.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Casull posted:

And Annie just pulled out Chekov's gun.

Chekov's magical coyote toothknife. Gun. Thing.

All I can say to this is "awwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeuh"

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Fangz posted:

My suspicion is that no Jeanne = no bond restricting Coyote's power to his side of the river. It's probably in everyone's interest that Coyote's power is kept in check, so this is going to be very bad news and possibly someone is going to have to sacrifice their life at the end of it to restore the seal. Or maybe that's too dark for Gunnerkrigg.

Too dark and not really consistant with the general themes of the comic, in my opinion.

It would be basically painting one side of the Court/Forest divide as evil and arguing that an actual peace between the two sides by diplomacy is impossible and that a physical barrior is the only way to avoid out and out war, which given that Annie is basically a diplomat in training doesn't strike me as the way the story is likely to go.

Plus, giving the emphasis on Jeannie's pain so far I'd doubt the story will end up justifying her slavery as a necessary evil.

Also didn't Coyote make a promise not to attack the court personally when they built the bridge anyway. Certainly Anja seemed to think that, rather than Jeannie, was the main obstacle to him attacking now. In many ways once the court built the bridge, admittedly on their terms, they nullified a lot of the advantages of Jeanie as a weapon (possibly because they'd never been told about her and everyones forgotten her existence, she's just a landmine left by a now long dead army and isn't considered as part of the courts defense by the current administration).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cestrian posted:

Too dark and not really consistant with the general themes of the comic, in my opinion.

It would be basically painting one side of the Court/Forest divide as evil and arguing that an actual peace between the two sides by diplomacy is impossible and that a physical barrior is the only way to avoid out and out war, which given that Annie is basically a diplomat in training doesn't strike me as the way the story is likely to go.

Well, Coyote wouldn't be necessarily evil, in this case, but his trickstering would be almost inevitably destructive. Recall this is the guy who etched a massive fingerprint on the moon on a whim (which is rather a dick move, given that people live there...), and handed Renard an ability that got someone killed. Coyote is not someone you want 'playing around' with a bunch of powerful and emotionally unstable teenagers around.

Explaining more the importance of Jeanne being there, if anything, would be possibly consistent with the theme of the comic, by painting the original Court administration as not senselessly evil. We still haven't really been told 'why' the elders of the Court did that. Diego certainly was blinded by his desire for revenge, but the rest of the Court? They must have had their reasons.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 23, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
No, there certainly won't be any unforeseen consequences from this at all

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Fangz posted:

Explaining more the importance of Jeanne being there, if anything, would be possibly consistent with the theme of the comic, by painting the original Court administration as not senselessly evil. We still haven't really been told 'why' the elders of the Court did that. Diego certainly was blinded by his desire for revenge, but the rest of the Court? They must have had their reasons.

Oh, we already know they did it as a security measure and yes sure they probably had good reason to want a way to stop people crossing the river, which greys up the matter a bit more and I'm fine with that. But I still can't see the comic concluding that what the founders did to Jeanne was justified and that freeing her is a mistake that must be rectified, by somebody sacrificing themselves as a replacement.

Because, that's kind of a horrible moral. "Sometimes, kids, they are people who are different from you, who have different points of view and the only way to stop them from killing you all is making sure that they stay away from you, that you don't talk to them and that they can't get into your land. And if you have to enslave and torment an innocent woman to do that then by god don't let that stop you."

If the comic doesn't end with the forest and the Court reaching somne kind of detente, if not an actual alliance, that makes Jeanne obselete I'd be shocked. Annie's being trained to be a diplomat not a solider.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ah but Gillitie Wood != Coyote. Coyote, Ysengrin, and Reynardine are all creatures who arrived after the creation of the Court and the Woods, and Coyote personally directly created the division of them, by creating the River Annan. As it is, people can actually cross over the river, by means of the bridge.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Annie makes bad decisions.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Fangz posted:

Ah but Gillitie Wood != Coyote. Coyote, Ysengrin, and Reynardine are all creatures who arrived after the creation of the Court and the Woods, and Coyote personally directly created the division of them, by creating the River Annan.

As it is, people can actually cross over the river, by means of the bridge.

Sure, though Coyote's been allied with the wood much longer than any of the current staff at the court has been allied with Gunnerkrigg and he and Ysengrin are the woods most prominent representives in the comic. And it's worth mentioning that the court and the wood were already fighting and had picked sides when Coyote split them into two physical sides by making the gorge.

But yep, there's a bridge which Coyote says the court built later, on their terms. Presumably one of those terms being the promise Coyote made not to attack the court that Anja talked about.

Which is why I still think Jeanne is a relic, from a time when the relationships between the court and the woods were much worse and she isn't actually needed anymore. I don't think releasing her will make any real difference.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Annie makes bad decisions.

There's pretty much no way this can't turn out badly.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

http://gunnerkrigg.tumblr.com/post/13224487478/here-is-a-picture-of-january-and-cookie-monster

In case anyone isn't a twitter/tumblr stalker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
For some reason I really don't see Coyote as the type who bothers to think that far ahead. His train of thought when handing over the tooth was probably something like, "I don't know what she'll do with this, but it will be hilarious."

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
January seems pretty cool.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Oxxidation posted:

For some reason I really don't see Coyote as the type who bothers to think that far ahead. His train of thought when handing over the tooth was probably something like, "I don't know what she'll do with this, but it will be hilarious."

I dunno, he's up to something. Jeanne protects the Court, which implies that the Court needs protecting. But the only thing in Gillitie Forest that is really dangerous is Ysengrin, who gets his power from ... Coyote. Then there were the bound dogs which crossed over and "infected" the Court with Coyote's glass-eyed men. And his infuriatingly vague proclamation that the Court was "man's attempt to become God."

Somebody seems to be playing a long game. It appears that the first domino will be Jeanne being unbound/destroyed. I'm starting to wonder if Coyote told Muut about Jeanne in the first place, really playing up the sob story, getting the psychopomps all worked up about this soul they can't reach. He knew they would try to find a solution. And if they (or their agents, like Annie) remove Jeanne from the board, then some nefarious long-term plan will suddenly become apparent.

Or maybe we'll have another twenty chapters of Smitty and Parley before the nefarious plan happens. That's good too.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Whatever happens, I am 100% certain Yssengrin is going to bite it and I'm going to be bummed about it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
This idea is looking worse and worse.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
So the last thing you hear as you're being stabbed, traveling up through your spine and into your inner ear, is the sound of Coyote laughing.

Huh.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh Coyote. Bringing laughter into our lives. Deadly, deadly, laughter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a prankster!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
haha, Parley looks so worried

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
This is a good idea and nothing will go wrong.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Hey Parley, maybe wanna not hold that so close to your face?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This is so obviously going to result in disaster that I feel like it might just end up going really well just to play with our expectations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess it's going to all depend on whether Smitty is around when they carry out this plan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Fangz posted:

I guess it's going to all depend on whether Smitty is around when they carry out this plan...

Yeah, that way when someone accidentally gets dismembered, all the parts will land on the ground in neat orderly fashion.

No, I don't think anything like that will happen in this comic, but this does feel like a mistake. And I mean the whole thing, not just using the sword. Like some others, I've long thought that releasing Jeanne is going to lead to pretty serious consequences. On the other hand, it feels like the right thing to do morally. I think it's a good sign that this comic can make me feel conflicted like that.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 25, 2011