Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Atasi posted:

No, by default it will only download over Wi-Fi, however if you go into the preferences for the Store at you can choose to use cellular data.
poo poo that's a sneaky setting. Thanks for the pointer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

headfake posted:

Actually you can't sync anything of kind Music via the "normal" old-fashioned sync; you can only do the Match download on the device (once you turn on Match).
Wait, what the hell?

Are you saying that you can no longer sync music playlists to your iOS device by connecting it to your computer and choosing the playlists to sync?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you enable iTunes Match, your music library and playlists (including smart playlists) are synced immediately to iCloud and all your iOS devices. If you don't enable iTunes Match, nothing changes.

Notable exception to iCloud playlist syncing: Smart playlists that reference other playlists.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 20, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, but does enabling Match disable the ability to sync directly to/from your computer?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Syncing music and playlists, yes. Syncing anything else, no.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, that's good to know.

So, how would you sync a playlist that references other playlists? Can you turn Match off, manually sync, then turn Match on? Or will that undo what you did manually?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone know why Album Art doesn't always download from iTunes Match and how it can be fixed? The album art is on my computer and the music is matched.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 20, 2011

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
Any idea why this playlist shows up as blank on my iphone? All the songs in it are matched and i can play them by finding them by artist

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So as of now there's no clever way to make iTunes match match songs that you KNOW are in the iTunes store, even if it's just one out of an album??

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well, that's good to know.

So, how would you sync a playlist that references other playlists? Can you turn Match off, manually sync, then turn Match on? Or will that undo what you did manually?

You don't (to my knowledge). Nor will you sync a playlist that contains podcasts, video, audiobooks, iTunes U, PDFs, or any music not in Matched, Purchased or Uploaded status.

TomSellek posted:

Any idea why this playlist shows up as blank on my iphone? All the songs in it are matched and i can play them by finding them by artist

My guess would it contains items that aren't Matchable, disallowing the playlist. When you click on the playlist, what does the cloud next to it look like? If it's not a "normal" cloud, what does clicking on it say?

iTunes Match really needs to figure out a better way of dealing with playlists.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

wolffenstein posted:

It will delete songs off your ios device as you hit the cache limit. It will start with the least listened songs.

What is the size of the cache? Is this specified somewhere?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

diehlr posted:

What is the size of the cache? Is this specified somewhere?
it's dependent on how much free space your device has. No other technical details are known.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

fordan posted:

My guess would it contains items that aren't Matchable, disallowing the playlist. When you click on the playlist, what does the cloud next to it look like? If it's not a "normal" cloud, what does clicking on it say?

iTunes Match really needs to figure out a better way of dealing with playlists.

Its a regular cloud and everything in the playlist is either matched or uploaded

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there a known problem with Home Sharing and messed up album artwork?

I finally got my library completely tagged, with artwork embedded in every song, and it's 100% accurate in iTunes. On both my iPad and Touch in Album view it's just a complete mess. Is this a "oh, yeah, that's just how it currently is" thing?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Is it possible to pull all my star ratings and playcounts from the itunes library and write them to my ID3 tags?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Is anyone else having trouble updating playcounts from the iphone? i noticed that it updates star rating right after i change it, but no matter how many times i listen to the same song over and over, the play count in my iTunes does not update.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone know of an iTunes plugin that will set genres? I have 1275 albums and looking each one up on Wikipedia (or something) and choosing the best genre for each artist will kill me. But, I would love to actually use this field for Smart Playlists / Genius / etc.

I was thinking what would be best is if this plugin looked each artist and album up (since some albums are different genres for a given artist) and picks the most popular (or maybe iTunes Store) genre and updates the album.

Does such a thing exist? Extra points if it prompts me for each genre change.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone know of an iTunes plugin that will set genres? I have 1275 albums and looking each one up on Wikipedia (or something) and choosing the best genre for each artist will kill me. But, I would love to actually use this field for Smart Playlists / Genius / etc.

I was thinking what would be best is if this plugin looked each artist and album up (since some albums are different genres for a given artist) and picks the most popular (or maybe iTunes Store) genre and updates the album.

Does such a thing exist? Extra points if it prompts me for each genre change.

MusicBrainz Picard has a plug in that will pull genre info from last.fm

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I have too many smart playlists now. Most of my music is pretty spread out amongst them. Its pretty messy. How do you guys sort it? I'd like to sort music by the mood and genre, that way i'm not going from Regina Spektor to Bob Marley to Brian Eno. Genres are pretty broad themselves though. Songs labeled as "Alternative" range from grungey-punk-rock to calm music with pianos and acoustics. Is this just something that will demand a bit of time as I redefine each track/album? Or are there more popular and better working methods out there? Mine is pretty jarring.

e:I'm also using the above mentioned program. It's not so much a problem about finding what genre each song goes into, rather how to sort similar songs with similar moods and feels..which seems like a rather monumental task to begin with. Closest thing I found was "Moody", a tagging program which allows you to assign songs by colors which represent moods. But it doesn't seem to work on this PC. Then there's so many ways to sort that too.

:psyduck:

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2011

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
I highly suggest you guys use a program to help clean up your tags before you enable match. Beatunes ( http://www.beatunes.com/ ) is a pretty badass program for that. Made adjusting genres/track titles/etc a breeze! Pre beatunes i had about 5k tracks to upload to match, after i ran it i only had about 3200.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Match has entered refund territory for me. iPod is unbearably slow with it on. Song files have become mangled or fused. Now a whole bunch of files have disappeared from the cloud. This shouldn't have been released yet.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
has anyone discovered a way to delete everything within itunes match. I accidentally uploaded alot of songs that I don't actually want to have making GBS threads up my ipod and ipad libraries. Would rather start from the beginning again. Just going into music and deleting all and selecting also delete from icloud doesn't seem to work as they still show up on my other computers

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

iTunes 10.5.1

Long story very short: old iMac dies, I get a new Mac Mini. Took newish HDD out of old iMac, put it in dual-bay external case with an existing external I had. Copy entire iTunes info in one go from newish external HDD to Mac Mini internal HDD and tell my iTunes that's where my library and information is.

Everything seems to be setup correctly, but I can only play music and purchased TV shows if I have the externals turned on. Weird thing is, I've since ripped just a couple of CDs into the same area, and they play with no problem whatsoever. It's almost like my library is still on the external, even though I copied everything to the internal and told it that's where everything is. What's going on?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

iTunes 10.5.1

Long story very short: old iMac dies, I get a new Mac Mini. Took newish HDD out of old iMac, put it in dual-bay external case with an existing external I had. Copy entire iTunes info in one go from newish external HDD to Mac Mini internal HDD and tell my iTunes that's where my library and information is.

Everything seems to be setup correctly, but I can only play music and purchased TV shows if I have the externals turned on. Weird thing is, I've since ripped just a couple of CDs into the same area, and they play with no problem whatsoever. It's almost like my library is still on the external, even though I copied everything to the internal and told it that's where everything is. What's going on?

I've had some bizarre behavior like this before. I've had the most success just adding the songs on the external to iTunes and being sure that copy files when adding is turned on.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Whenever I pause a podcast and then press play again it jumps back about 30 seconds. It's really annoying. Is this a feature or a bug?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ugh. Finished converting all my .ogg files to .mp3, successfully matched the vast majority of them... but none of them are displaying track numbers, and there still appears to be no way to fill in this missing information from iTunes. :psyduck:

bonzaisushi posted:

I highly suggest you guys use a program to help clean up your tags before you enable match. Beatunes ( http://www.beatunes.com/ ) is a pretty badass program for that. Made adjusting genres/track titles/etc a breeze! Pre beatunes i had about 5k tracks to upload to match, after i ran it i only had about 3200.
Is there something similar to this that doesn't cost more than the Match service itself? I found somebody (https://twitter.com/!/tapbot_paul/status/138269351643070464) who claims to have written a Ruby script that will pull information from iTunes' database but I have no idea how to compile / run this on my machine.

I'm hoping and praying that a 'fill in missing information' option isn't one of those things Apple will stubbornly refuse to implement for no reason at all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TACD posted:

Ugh. Finished converting all my .ogg files to .mp3, successfully matched the vast majority of them... but none of them are displaying track numbers, and there still appears to be no way to fill in this missing information from iTunes. :psyduck:

I do hope you downconverted those.

Converting one lossy format to another :smithicide:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I do hope you downconverted those.

Converting one lossy format to another :smithicide:
Oh jeez, believe me that ferreting out any transcoded-and-not-matched tracks is a major step in my mental music organisation plan. Which is looking like a literally years-long project if I'm going to have to go through my metadata and manually sort it all out :cry:

I additionally have a whole bunch of music stuck in 'Waiting' status for no apparent reason, and iTunes Match thinks it's done uploading everything. And albums that exist in the iTunes store but haven't been matched. And even weirder, albums that have been matched but that don't exist in the iTunes store:

This is giving me a headache.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TACD posted:

Oh jeez, believe me that ferreting out any transcoded-and-not-matched tracks is a major step in my mental music organisation plan. Which is looking like a literally years-long project if I'm going to have to go through my metadata and manually sort it all out :cry:

I additionally have a whole bunch of music stuck in 'Waiting' status for no apparent reason, and iTunes Match thinks it's done uploading everything. And albums that exist in the iTunes store but haven't been matched. And even weirder, albums that have been matched but that don't exist in the iTunes store:

This is giving me a headache.

The latter is actually a loophole in the licensing, apparently Apple was granted the right to match any tracks in any store, even if the content isn't available for purchase in your country/region. I just noticed this last night because I was trying to download some album artwork for a Sahara Hotnights album and noticed that the status was matched, even though the album is only available in the EU store.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

OK, so a while ago I had trouble getting my Nano to scrobble and I think I've figured out why - it seems like the iPods internal playcounts don't update so iTunes doesn't realise that the songs have played and I'm guessing Last.fm uses the difference to determine what to scrobble. And because nothing changes it can't do anything.

So I tried resetting the iPod to default and reinstalling all the software which (I think) actually helped once but afterwards it became stuck again and I reeeaally don't want to do that every time. Anything else I can do?

5th gen Nano, Win 7, latest iTunes, latest Last.fm.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

OK, so a while ago I had trouble getting my Nano to scrobble

Are you using iTunes in the Cloud?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

chimz posted:

Are you using iTunes in the Cloud?

You mean Match? No, we don't get that over here, we got official iTunes Store support like a month ago :negative:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Having an issue. Whenever I synch my iPhone with iTunes, it dumps like 25 gigs of songs onto my phone (I have a 16gb iPhone).

I went to the "music" tab, but there's only information saying I'm on iTunes Match.

How do I fix it so it won't sync the music anymore, just the other stuff? I don't want it to dump those songs and have me delete them each and every time it syncs.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

TACD posted:

Is there something similar to this that doesn't cost more than the Match service itself? I found somebody (https://twitter.com/!/tapbot_paul/status/138269351643070464) who claims to have written a Ruby script that will pull information from iTunes' database but I have no idea how to compile / run this on my machine.

I'm hoping and praying that a 'fill in missing information' option isn't one of those things Apple will stubbornly refuse to implement for no reason at all.

Man i am not sure, it seems like all the good programs that do a good job at this are north of 30.00.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I have 4000 songs on my ipod, some of these artists only have one or two songs, or albums with one or two songs. How do I make it so that these are just lumped together, rather than seeing 100 different albums / artists that only have a song or two? Before, I was just able to change the title of it in Itunes so that the artist was something like Misc classic rock, and just add the artists name to the title. Since the last Ipod / Itunes update this doesn't work -- it doesn't matter what I change anything to it's still staying in there.

I just hate having hundreds of albums and artists that aren't really represented.

Also, how do I find out what is taken up by other on my Ipod? It's 2.2 GB of 'other'.

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 30, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

King of Spit posted:

I have 4000 songs on my ipod, some of these artists only have one or two songs, or albums with one or two songs. How do I make it so that these are just lumped together, rather than seeing 100 different albums / artists that only have a song or two? Before, I was just able to change the title of it in Itunes so that the artist was something like Misc classic rock, and just add the artists name to the title. Since the last Ipod / Itunes update this doesn't work -- it doesn't matter what I change anything to it's still staying in there.

I just hate having hundreds of albums and artists that aren't really represented.

Also, how do I find out what is taken up by other on my Ipod? It's 2.2 GB of 'other'.

Set them all as a compilation, and then give them all the same album name like "Singles" or something. Or you may be able to do this with the "Sort by Album" field, if you wanted to keep the ID3 tags somewhat proper.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or (I'm pretty sure this will work, but can't test it now) in iTunes set the Album Artist to something like "Various" or "Guys I Don't Want To See", and then on the iPod go to Settings - Music and turn on "Group By Album Artist".

quote:

If you have iCloud set up, you can mostly do it by going Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup - Manage Storage - (select device if you have multiple) - Show All Apps. The memory amounts shown for an app represents the app's data, not the actual app itself.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I'm trying to get Home Sharing working. I can see the libraries of my various devices in the Shared section of the iTunes interface, but they have a music note icon, indicating they are just "music sharing," not Home Sharing. I have enabled Home Sharing on all computers and had them log in with the same Apple ID. What could I be missing?

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
Not sure if this has been covered earlier, but I can't seem to add files to my itunes anymore. I'm using a PC and when I click add to library it's simply not doing anything. I checked the preferences and the itunes media folder is correct but it's not budging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you tried exporting your library, uninstalling everything (or just deleting your old Library.xml and etc files), and then importing the exported library after you started fresh?