Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's a good fight stick for the PS3?

The Fighting Game Thread IV: Arcade Edition posted:

This one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GVR
Dec 31, 2003
what

duffath posted:

GGs UKTEE whoever you are....you're a goon right?

Yep thats me, not played marvel in ages so I was pretty terrible, those rocket raccoon combos were great.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's a good fight stick for the PS3?

high end:
Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA (usually around $130)
Madcatz TE ($150 but the madcatz store has deals often)
Eightarc ps3 ebony ($125, http://eightarc.com/ps3-ebony - they also do a ps3+xbox 360 for 185)

low end:
WWE All Stars Brawl Stick ($50, parts are easily replaceable if you want to upgrade it later)
Hori Fighting Stick v3 ($60, stick is easily replaceable with a sanwa if you want to do that)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GVR posted:

Yep thats me, not played marvel in ages so I was pretty terrible, those rocket raccoon combos were great.
Nothing about Duffath's Rocket Raccoon is great :mad:

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Doorselfin posted:

I'm thinking of constructing an "Eat it" team with Ghost Rider ("EAT CHAIN!"), Chris ("EAT LEAD!") and Tron ("IT'S LUNCHTIME!")

Who else makes people eat things?

Now let's ROCK AND ROOOOLLLL! EAT THIS

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thestream.tv posted the cross counter tournament:

http://www.thestream.tv/4/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-pen/

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Robolizard! posted:

high end:
Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA (usually around $130)
Madcatz TE ($150 but the madcatz store has deals often)
Eightarc ps3 ebony ($125, http://eightarc.com/ps3-ebony - they also do a ps3+xbox 360 for 185)

low end:
WWE All Stars Brawl Stick ($50, parts are easily replaceable if you want to upgrade it later)
Hori Fighting Stick v3 ($60, stick is easily replaceable with a sanwa if you want to do that)

Wow. Literally all of these are sold out on Amazon completely. is this normal, or did fighting games just take off all of a sudden?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Skychrono posted:

I'm playing Wright(Witness)/Doom(Missiles)/Chun, mostly because Wright and Doom work well together and Chun-Li is my best character.

My main issue is the fast crowd - Zero, Wesker, and Nova. Zero's diagonal-from-above attack avoids my Turnabout Phoenix assist, and all of his attacks put me in a ton of pressure - even blocking and pushblocking I feel like I can't keep him off of me long enough for Chun to do anything about it. Same with Wesker - intense pressure, and hitting a teleport with missiles isn't enough to deter them. Nova's good because he can prevent me from getting any evidence with his single-hidden-missile-like attack which comes in faster than I can look for a single piece of evidence.

I definitely need to learn Doom better, I pretty much only use him as an assist right now. Are there individual Assist Me-type videos for Ultimate MvC yet? I only saw a few and they've all been new characters, like Iron Fist.

You might try using Phoenix with his Paperwork (High) assist, since that one is fully invulnerable as well in Turnabout. It's an excellent assist, albeit not as good as Break the Witness. Its hitbox will completely stuff tri-jumps and forward-above teleports.

On the topic of Phoenix Wrights' assists: Please tell me I'm not the only one who calls his gamma dog assist "Hidden Missile". I will be disappointed.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 23, 2011

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Getting nothing but Weskers and getting mad salty. I'm still trying to build a team around Skrull but not sure who to pick up. Doom works ok I guess, although Im still not sure if I like beam or missiles more. I also think I want Skrull on anchor more than Doom but then what's the point right?

Are there any Skrull players in the thread who could share some team ideas?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow. Literally all of these are sold out on Amazon completely. is this normal, or did fighting games just take off all of a sudden?

You can get PS3 TE sticks from here: http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=376 Use coupon code CROSSCOUNTER to save 10%.

If you poke around a bit on the site I think some of the Street Fighter branded sticks are cheaper than the Marvel ones.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
As a recommendation, don't order your stick from the crosscounter.tv web store. I ordered mine in the beginning of October, got a message saying they were out of stock two weeks after I paid along with a message saying they would be back in stock by the beginning of november, and am still sitting here without a stick, and they haven't given me any updates since the initial "beginning of November" estimate.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

apophenium posted:

Madcatz TE is always a good choice!

Those things are only good for pog tournaments. I like the eightarc fusion personally, especially that sweet felt bottom it has.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Like a year or so ago, there were constant deals on sticks. You could pretty much pick up a TE new for ~100, and SE's were 20$ new on dell at one point.

Then at some point I guess everybody decided they wanted a stick, and since then the demand has slightly outstripped supply, and there aren't any super hot deals anymore.

360 sticks are much more in demand. If you buy a 360 TE you can resell it for practically what you paid for it.

Koolin
Mar 27, 2010

Waverhouse posted:

Getting nothing but Weskers and getting mad salty. I'm still trying to build a team around Skrull but not sure who to pick up. Doom works ok I guess, although Im still not sure if I like beam or missiles more. I also think I want Skrull on anchor more than Doom but then what's the point right?

Drones are really handy for helping skrull get in and they'll hold the other player in place so you can start your mix ups; I've found doom's beam quite effective too. As a tip against wesker, try throwing out skrull's s.H as an answer to his teleports. It has a pretty ridiculous hit box and will generally beat out whatever crossups wesker's after since it should connect behind you.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

Skrull was secretly one of the top 5 best anchors in mvc3, he's gotten nothing but buffs since then.

If you plan to run him as a point, I suggest you find teammates that allow you to get good DHCs and give you assists that set up elastic slams. Doom rocks or sentinel drones, to force the enemy to jump, and dr. stranges bolts of balthak, to force the enemy to crouch, should all be very very good with skrull.

Skrull/Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom would give you two fantastic assists to go with skrull, as well as a DHC out of skrull.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
God drat I hate fighting Frank West so much, he's such an rear end in a top hat :argh:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Nodoze posted:

God drat I hate fighting Frank West so much, he's such an rear end in a top hat :argh:

Caaaalm doooown!
I really don't think he's that scary though, except maybe the assist.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

As a recommendation, don't order your stick from the crosscounter.tv web store. I ordered mine in the beginning of October, got a message saying they were out of stock two weeks after I paid along with a message saying they would be back in stock by the beginning of november, and am still sitting here without a stick, and they haven't given me any updates since the initial "beginning of November" estimate.

I am not a lawyer, but I think e-commerce folk are only allowed to charge your card once they ship the item. If you've already been charged, you might consider calling and demanding a charge-back. Bonus points for threatening to get the Attorney General from your state involved!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Maybe it's just cause I'm abysmal at this game, but I cannot get the timing right on Nova's forward + H to hit at all. I can do Centurion Rush L almost every time, but I don't think you can relaunch over that. When exactly should I be doing the f+h? Also, I saw a few fancy combos with the Energy Javelin and air combos featuring Human Rocket Punch (whatever QCB + L/M/H is called, not listed in the command list) and are those just really specific to where the character is on the screen? It seems impossible to combo into those in the air except at very specific times.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Veev posted:

Caaaalm doooown!
I really don't think he's that scary though, except maybe the assist.

Play against a team that sets him up with insta level 4/5.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Maybe it's just cause I'm abysmal at this game, but I cannot get the timing right on Nova's forward + H to hit at all. I can do Centurion Rush L almost every time, but I don't think you can relaunch over that. When exactly should I be doing the f+h? Also, I saw a few fancy combos with the Energy Javelin and air combos featuring Human Rocket Punch (whatever QCB + L/M/H is called, not listed in the command list) and are those just really specific to where the character is on the screen? It seems impossible to combo into those in the air except at very specific times.

I've posted this a bit but fh with Nova only works after 3 hits with air s. If air s only hits once or twice, fh can hit, but it's not likely.

Qcb l loop works in corner, air qcb b tends to work mid screen

Edit: also I'm not surprised that gootecks' online store venture is scummy lol

Dosvidanya fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 24, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nova's a pretty amazing character but he's pretty complicated, and that red health thing kind of nerfs/balances him (but only because I'm a bad enough player to all but guarantee that I will immediately get red health upon entering a match). I really like how he plays and is a really fun addition to my team

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Nova owns and teaches valuable fighting game lessons as you use him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Forward H is only used after a corner throw into the corner, after a jS really close to the ground, or after a jS that hits 2-3 or more times. You can realaunch after it with standing H into standing S or just standing S. Forward H requires and causes a ground bounce, so if you've already used a ground bounce it won't work.

Centurian Rush L is only used after a jS that has been used after a ground bounce, or after a throw where you can move at least 3/4ths of the screen before the centurian rush L hits. You relaunch after centurian rush L with standing M into S, or Standing M into H into S. If you're centurian rush L hasn't traveled a solid distance before hitting you won't be able to relaunch. You can always cancel centurian rush L into the Super Nova hyper on hit.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

Mechanigma posted:

Now let's ROCK AND ROOOOLLLL! EAT THIS

He also yells 'EAT THIS' during his regular Spitfire too! THANK YOU SIR.

EAT CHAIN EAT LEAD EAT THIS. I will now proceed to annoy the poo poo out of anybody I play.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Valuable lessons like how to boxjump H and pushblock low M??

Anyway dorkasaurus I recommend you check out this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jhvidst he's got lots of good tech and combos

This is one I'd recommend by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i53-BvmLc

Also this one by some other guy is about resets/air throw setups, really good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6sV8owK5w

I love how Nova has easymode combos off of ground throws on his own.. why can't my other characters do that?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Novas pretty straightforward once you figure out what his stuff does, he's just a very well rounded character. The red health thing is a non issue most of the time because you can make really minor adjustments to any of your combos to avoid it if you want. And for the f+H thing, after you hit with his j.S you can really just mash it out when you hit the ground and get it to work, unless it isn't going to work anyways like when dos mentioned.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Blinn posted:

Anyway dorkasaurus I recommend you check out this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jhvidst he's got lots of good tech and combos

This is one I'd recommend by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i53-BvmLc

Also this one by some other guy is about resets/air throw setups, really good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6sV8owK5w

I love how Nova has easymode combos off of ground throws on his own.. why can't my other characters do that?

Those are loving awesome. My wrist hurts from practicing combos but I got the guide off Amazon so hopefully that will help me unleash the latent scrub powers contained within me.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Blinn posted:

Like picking a top tier :q:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Honestly, once you're past the beginner Nova combos you'll want to basically stop using jS.

I sometimes use it for mixup after getting an opponent to block an assist, but that's about it.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
So uh, when Nick has x-factor active in turnabout mode he does double damage regardless of what level of x-factor it is. Press the Witness H does 650k by itself...

Xuuel fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 24, 2011

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Xuuel posted:

So uh, when Nick has x-factor active in turnabout mode he does double damage regardless of what level of x-factor it is. Press the Witness H does 650k by itself...

Now I know it needs 3 bars x-factor and turnabout mode, but I'm kind of surprised to see a "character kill button" outside of mugen.

Cat Machine posted:

Nothing about Duffath's Rocket Raccoon is great :mad:

:unsmith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Urgh I remember why I stopped playing this. I guess I fundamentally can't "get" this game series since I literally can't hit people. Like no matter which attack I use I'm always hit first. It's so bad that when I actually do win out it's so rare and I'm so not used to it I flub any attempt at comboing or whatever.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Radish posted:

Urgh I remember why I stopped playing this. I guess I fundamentally can't "get" this game series since I literally can't hit people. Like no matter which attack I use I'm always hit first. It's so bad that when I actually do win out it's so rare and I'm so not used to it I flub any attempt at comboing or whatever.

What characters are you using? Are you practicing at all or are you just jumping straight to online? The game is not hard to get, and this is from someone who never even attempted to get good at a fighting game until Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Like I told someone else, get some goons to help you out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm using She-Hulk, Hsien ko and really can't figure out who for the last slot (I was using Tron but gave up since I could never pull off any of her combos in an actual game despite being able to do them in training). I practice in training and can do a few combos (like that She Hulk one where she combos into the air then OFGs runner start into her super) and a few basic Hsien Ko stuff. However whenever I try to play it's literally me getting hit from both sides at the same time then comboed into oblivion. It's frustrating since it happens so fast and I can't do anything about it I never learn anything. Like I don't get how to even hit people without a huge amount of luck it's so bad.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
You should move Hsien-ko to the front so you can use her gold super ASAP and then switch out. She's way, way better as an assist than actually fighting.

It sounds like you're being crossed up by assists. Make sure to block in the direction of your opponent's point character, not their assist.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Radish posted:

I'm using She-Hulk, Hsien ko and really can't figure out who for the last slot (I was using Tron but gave up since I could never pull off any of her combos in an actual game despite being able to do them in training). I practice in training and can do a few combos (like that She Hulk one where she combos into the air then OFGs runner start into her super) and a few basic Hsien Ko stuff. However whenever I try to play it's literally me getting hit from both sides at the same time then comboed into oblivion. It's frustrating since it happens so fast and I can't do anything about it I never learn anything. Like I don't get how to even hit people without a huge amount of luck it's so bad.

I think the problem here is you're using characters that are not very straightforward, not to mention that Hsien-ko is garbage tier. Try using the simpler characters until you get more used to the game's mechanics. Ryu, Zero, Nova, Ghost Rider, etc can all do good damage and are a hell of a lot easier to use then Hsien-ko.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm sort of having that problem too. I'll mess around in training mode for a little bit and sort of feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on what I'd like to be doing but as soon as a fight starts I instantly forget everything I've been practicing. And how to block or move forward without jumping. Playing online makes me feel like every single other person on earth is better than I am.

BUT I think I've found a team I'd like to work on. Felicia, Doom (beam), Wesker (OTG gunshot). Why Felicia and not say Strider or X-23 or Zero or a good rushdown character? I'm not sure.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Felicia is top tier now according to both James Chen and J.Wong ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm sort of having that problem too. I'll mess around in training mode for a little bit and sort of feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on what I'd like to be doing but as soon as a fight starts I instantly forget everything I've been practicing. And how to block or move forward without jumping. Playing online makes me feel like every single other person on earth is better than I am.

BUT I think I've found a team I'd like to work on. Felicia, Doom (beam), Wesker (OTG gunshot). Why Felicia and not say Strider or X-23 or Zero or a good rushdown character? I'm not sure.
The usual solution is to keep playing and keep practicing until you stop forgetting everything and are able to apply the strategies and execute the combos you want. Don't know if anyone else has any other tactics for this, but with most people you just keep playing and it will click.

Also, Justin Wong and others are insisting that Felicia is super good in this game, so you can stick with her and wait for footage to pop up to add new tricks to your arsenal.

• Locked thread