Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Matty D posted:

Just gathered up all my hockey gear for the first time since High school...about 6 years. My stick is a CCM Vector from back when 1 piece composites were news - the loving thing has a 110 flex. 110. I had no idea. I played with it for like 2 years in High school.

I like the 100-110 Flex range. I'm still using an Easton Grip-Lite shaft w/ a random blade. I love the thing. It seems crazy to me to use any stick with less Flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Matty D posted:

Just gathered up all my hockey gear for the first time since High school...about 6 years. My stick is a CCM Vector from back when 1 piece composites were news - the loving thing has a 110 flex. 110. I had no idea. I played with it for like 2 years in High school.

The blue one right? Those are my favorite sticks of all time, I had 4 of them, never broke, wicked shots.

Only problem is the toe of the blades split on them.

I think 2 of them are still at my parents house with the toe taped together.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

trilljester posted:

Nope, I sub for Miz up in E division. What team are you in EEE? My normal team is in the EEE division as well.

3rd Line Scrubs. Tied for third in EEE east right now.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Nope, I sub for Miz up in E division. What team are you in EEE? My normal team is in the EEE division as well.

MOVE UP!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, my team is currently imploding over email after the whole PK line topic was brought up. Fun!
:sigh:

90% sure I'm leaving the team and moving up a league next season anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 23, 2011

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

trilljester posted:

Hahaha. Jesus Trilljester, I am a converted goalie playing left wing for the Raccoons in DDD and still being able to hang. You're sandbagging bad!

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I wish all leagues everywhere used a uniform league ranking system.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thursday Dec 8th if anyone wants to skate at Staples Center before the Wild game let me know. Skate is in the afternoon but includes referees.

Cost includes 2 200 level tickets so it's not cheap but quite a fun experience.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Thursday Dec 8th if anyone wants to skate at Staples Center before the Wild game let me know. Skate is in the afternoon but includes referees.

Cost includes 2 200 level tickets so it's not cheap but quite a fun experience.

Hey PM me the info, I'm down, am I going to get killed?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I played the #1 team twice in the past week. They always run plays in our zone where the puck carrier switches places with one of the other forwards to confuse our defensive coverage. Any suggestions with to do against this? So far we've continued to play our zone coverage, but frequently that leaves the puck carrier with more speed than the d-man and he can get a shot off. Is it better to do man-to-man coverage in this scenario?

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Loqieu posted:

I played the #1 team twice in the past week. They always run plays in our zone where the puck carrier switches places with one of the other forwards to confuse our defensive coverage. Any suggestions with to do against this? So far we've continued to play our zone coverage, but frequently that leaves the puck carrier with more speed than the d-man and he can get a shot off. Is it better to do man-to-man coverage in this scenario?

Yes. The idea of zone is not "cover the guy in your area" so much as "everyone cover the guy who is easiest for them to cover". If this means switching zones in order to match up well with the puckcarrier, absolutely do it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Long shot, but has anyone ever used a Silverback stick? Apparently they're a small company, and said they'd be willing to give us a pretty good team discount on their new Chrome sticks if we ordered 10+.

http://www.silverbackhockey.com/chrome.html

quote:

428 grams
62"
Low Kick-Point Flex Options: 80/90/105

Their intermediate is supposed to be a 70 flex. I figured what the hell, may as well try it out since it sounds like the discount will be pretty steep.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

New Bauer Pro 4-Roll gloves and a Sherwood T90 Stick. Awwww yeah!

Now I just have to wait until at least Friday to use 'em :(

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
To install those wooden extensions, do you heat the glue, put it in, heat the stick? Never done it before.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yup. Just use a blow-dryer to heat the glue up, then shove it in the stick and wipe off the glue that squirts out of the crack. Done and done.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Acethomas posted:

To install those wooden extensions, do you heat the glue, put it in, heat the stick? Never done it before.

I always used a torch, you just have to be careful not to heat it up too much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use my stove top. Turn on medium and hover the stick about 6 inches over the flame for 20-30 seconds.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Acethomas posted:

Are two-piece sticks that uncommon? It's the same mechanic.

Agreed with the stovetop method, by the way. Although in my experience it takes a bit longer than that.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Loqieu posted:

If it's ice, you obviously need help from your center to put back pressure. If it's roller, it can be tricky. I've played div 1 for years and constantly have discussions with my d partner about how to handle specific plays when the forwards cross.

The key is communication and how and when you "pass off" the puck carrier to your D partner. Just in the way great forwards know where their linemates are, good D partners will understand when to step up and when to make the switch.

You definitely want to stick with the zone approach. My suggestion would be to be as aggressive as you can based on their skill level. You don't want to get beat cleanly where they can make a heads up play where they have a 2 on 1 down low. I usually try to bait guys into taking an outside bad angle shot. I'll cheat to everything inside so it looks like there's a big juicy lane on the outside. When they go for that, I'll attack the lane taking away the pass and their ability to cut inside.

I'm okay conceding an outside bad angle shot. Maybe 1time in 20 they'll shelf it but I can live with that.

When you have two guys crossing over, just stay on your side. Challenge the puck carrier as long as he's on your side. When he crosses, press him a bit to make things tough, pass him off and make sure you cut hard back to the other guy to take away his passing option (especially a back door play).

If you have two guys coming down on the same wing, you just KNOW one of them will cut across. Communicate and have the far side D yell who he's going to cover. Talk to your partner on the ice so he knows what you're going to do and then talk about it on the bench.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Dangerllama posted:

New Bauer Pro 4-Roll gloves and a Sherwood T90 Stick. Awwww yeah!

Now I just have to wait until at least Friday to use 'em :(

Love my Pro 4-Rolls. They have so much wrist ROM

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this...

I have a bit of a problem

I also have another Widow and a Synergy SE at my parents, plus 2 Vector V10s that are basically dead/street hockey sticks.

D C fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 24, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protip: only buy new sticks when your main stick breaks and you need a new backup (assuming your old backup rotates in as your main).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have three sticks for the first time and it's like an identity crisis whenever I have to pick two to take to a game. I have not yet decided which two will be my mainstays.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Protip: only buy new sticks when your main stick breaks and you need a new backup (assuming your old backup rotates in as your main).

I just can't do this, but I really need to. I always use the new one as my main, leaving me with a lovely backup from a bajillion years back.

Up until today, my daily driver was a Warrior Kronik that I got six months ago. My backup was a five year old Easton Typhoon shaft with an wooden Yzerman blade.

e: Now I face the eternal conundrum. Conventional wisdom says cut your stick just below the nose, but The Great One used a stick only slightly longer than a drinking straw. As it's cut now, my new Sher-Wood is a full inch and a half longer than my Warrior.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 24, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The 3 Warriors I just bought.

The 4 Bauers are all pro-returns and wore out, well, one of the One90s is still okay, but its grippy and I dont like grip sticks.

The Synergy I dont like, the Vector is grip as well, the Reebok I use for roller, and the 2 piece Vector is my roller backup.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Wait, you bought 3 of the same warriors? Why?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Stop making knobs on the end of your sticks you ninny

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah stop making knobs you knob

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

you need some blood on that white tape, make it look mean.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the accepted method for bloodying stick tape? Take a swing at someone's head? Or sneaking in some self inflicted razor blade cuts when no one is looking?

Do pro players use pig blood?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

What's the accepted method for bloodying stick tape? Take a swing at someone's head?
Yes, preferably like so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk#t=01m30s

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwYzEp1qwc

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:psyduck:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welp, my team is currently imploding over email after the whole PK line topic was brought up. Fun!
:sigh:

90% sure I'm leaving the team and moving up a league next season anyway.

Silver B is poo poo skip it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Silver B is poo poo skip it.

16 teams next season!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
So I'm looking to replace my Rbk 6k helmet with something new and "safer". I'm looking at the 9900 vs the new E700 since they are both 150. Aside from the awesome matte black on the e700 and barring any issues with fit does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should get?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Acethomas posted:

So I'm looking to replace my Rbk 6k helmet with something new and "safer". I'm looking at the 9900 vs the new E700 since they are both 150. Aside from the awesome matte black on the e700 and barring any issues with fit does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should get?

If the E700 fits the same as other Easton helmets I find it to be a terrible fit, at least on my head it's way too tight and seems to not sit on my head properly. Whereas the 9900 fits awesome and I know I'm picking one up tomorrow.

Really though you should try them both on because while the Easton's look kind of cool once I put one on I realized I'd never actually buy one because of how they fit on me.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

real_scud posted:

If the E700 fits the same as other Easton helmets I find it to be a terrible fit, at least on my head it's way too tight and seems to not sit on my head properly. Whereas the 9900 fits awesome and I know I'm picking one up tomorrow.

Really though you should try them both on because while the Easton's look kind of cool once I put one on I realized I'd never actually buy one because of how they fit on me.

The E700 is supposed to fit quite different from the S series ones according to MSH at least. New shell design, etc.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Mom just ordered me am Easton S15 for my birthday. Got it for $100 shipped on hockeymonkey. Seriously can't wait for that to arrive and get on the ice with it, it'll be a major step up from my poo poo Easton wood stick that's cracking badly at the heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Mom just ordered me am Easton S15 for my birthday. Got it for $100 shipped on hockeymonkey. Seriously can't wait for that to arrive and get on the ice with it, it'll be a major step up from my poo poo Easton wood stick that's cracking badly at the heel

You are a terrible Chicago fan. :colbert:

Haven't you spent years listening to Edzo and Foley chanting "wood is good"?