Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I would have laughed at the comment saying that they should work harder to move up in the "hierarchy" if I wasn't also throwing up at how disgusting these people are. These people can go gently caress themselves, no one should have to work on Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stupid customers used to get so pissed off at me when I was left in charge of my store (Gamestop) on Thanksgiving Eve.

Official policy was, we'd close at 6 that night, but if it was dead, I'd start to close up at like 5:45-5:50ish (read, still open but shutting extra registers down, not accepting trades, locking the door if no one is there at 5:55) since it's not really vital that anyone get poo poo for Thanksgiving. Christmas eve I can understand but even then, we closed at six on the dot. If you weren't at the register at 6PM, you were poo poo outta luck. Even after we finished regular closing procedures, we still had to get things ready for black friday. That and I like most normal people would rather be at home with family instead of selling you DS games. You'd still have people though showing up at 6:05, 6:10, etc as we were finishing up cleaning, begging us to let them in like we were the last chopper outta Saigon. It was pretty pathetic.

I always gave the same speech to people who persisted on banging on my door in a pretty blunt manner. We sell video games, not diabetic insulin or medical equipment or any other of life's essentials. I'm not staying late and neither are my employees because you just have to trade in your old xbox games for cash or need a random copy of Madden '02. If you don't like it, I give no fucks and neither does my manager (the DM might but he rarely found out). Feel free to threaten never to shop here again, I'm pretty sure our profit margin will be fine without you. We'll see you in a few weeks as always since you can't be arsed to drive the extra 10 minutes to the other Gamestop or that public transit doesn't go there to begin with.

That job, was actually kind of a sweet way to end my retail experience and get through my final two years of college. My manager backed me up whenever we had really horrible customers, and I was allowed to basically tell people to :fuckoff: if they were trying to rip us off or started becoming hostile for no apparent reason. It was nice being able to tell people who rightfully deserved it to go to hell after having to endure so many years of "Sorry Sir, may I have another?".

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Grocery store goons, I need your advice.

When I go grocery shopping, I always pay with the debit card, and frequently would like some cash back. Saves a trip to the ATM and all that.

Sometimes I just type into the debit card scanner thing that I want $20, and wait. Other times I say "I'd like to get $20 cash back, please" to the person when they tell me my total, and then do the same as above.

The first one seems to get me dirty looks of the "just wait for me to read your mind, rear end in a top hat" variety, while the second one seems to get me dirty looks of the "hey jackass I can't just give you cash because you want it" type. My favorite is at Aldi where they just ask if you want cashback and add it to the total and you're done, but no place else does this.

So what should I be doing to not piss off the register people, but still get my sweet sweet cash back?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Grocery store goons, I need your advice.

When I go grocery shopping, I always pay with the debit card, and frequently would like some cash back. Saves a trip to the ATM and all that.

Sometimes I just type into the debit card scanner thing that I want $20, and wait. Other times I say "I'd like to get $20 cash back, please" to the person when they tell me my total, and then do the same as above.

The first one seems to get me dirty looks of the "just wait for me to read your mind, rear end in a top hat" variety, while the second one seems to get me dirty looks of the "hey jackass I can't just give you cash because you want it" type. My favorite is at Aldi where they just ask if you want cashback and add it to the total and you're done, but no place else does this.

So what should I be doing to not piss off the register people, but still get my sweet sweet cash back?

Personally I hate this. It's even worse when people say our loud, "debit no cash/cash back." or "credit no cash back." My machine tells me, and im sure most stores that aren't ma and pa podunk stores have their machines to tell them too. It's really annoying and comes off as rude. The best thing to do is wait until the drawer opens, then go, "can I get that change in (various denominations?)" And certainly don't loving wait until after the drawer is closed and ive handed you the money and you've been standing there with it in your hand to go, "oh can I get (various denominations)" because I get in trouble every time I open my drawer without a reason, so your rear end is going to customer service.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Most places in the UK (the ones I shop at, anyway) will either ask you if you want any cashback, or if you ask them they just add it to the total, done.

I'd say in your situation I would probably start saying something like "I'd like 20 dollars cashback, I just type it on here, right?" while indicating the scanner thing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

miscellaneous14 posted:

I would have laughed at the comment saying that they should work harder to move up in the "hierarchy" if I wasn't also throwing up at how disgusting these people are. These people can go gently caress themselves, no one should have to work on Thanksgiving.

Yeah, the reason they don't want to do their job at that moment is because they're lazy and therefore don't deserve it. Just world theory at its worst.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

I went to Kohl's facebook page to post a comment about how it was terrible that they make their employees work on thanksgiving, because I like Kohl's but I don't think it's right.
Then I spotted this comment:

quote:

Yes it sucks stores are open for Thanksgiving but seriously? You people need to open up your freaking eyes and see all the other people that have to work holidays and miss out on that family time too. SOLDIERS, emergency services like fire and police, hotel workers, gas station attendants, newpaper delivery folks, manufacturing, hospital workers, call centers,restaurant workers, airlines, etc. I could go on and on and on. Sadly, the majority of you people making a stink about it, will be out there shopping in it. Be THANKFUL you have a job in this economy. Be THANKFUL that you aren't the cop that will get shot at, or the paramedic that has to resuscitate a dying child, or the soldier working in a war zone. It's RETAIL! You will survive it.

and I'm pretty divided on it. In a way, she's right, but I don't see retail workers being thanked for the things they do. I'm really not sure how to feel about it or respond to it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

silversiren posted:

In a way, she's right, but I don't see retail workers being thanked for the things they do.

If you consider being at risk of trampling as "thanked", sure. :shepface:

e: Sure, there are lots of people who have to work on those holidays...for important jobs. Retail is not a loving critical necessity for people on those days, and it's a weak excuse so she doesn't have to feel bad about treating the employees like poo poo on those days.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 23, 2011

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

silversiren posted:

and I'm pretty divided on it. In a way, she's right, but I don't see retail workers being thanked for the things they do. I'm really not sure how to feel about it or respond to it.

The difference between what I call "essential services" occupations (ERs, police, firefighters, etc) and customer service jobs is that the former group typically (at least from what I/my friends in those professions have experienced) gets at least 1 day of that weekend off (with the huge exception of the military), whereas customer service folks don't get a day off until the entire weekend is over. To me, that is a huge difference.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The whole thing's an inappropriate comparison really. The suggestion that you should be so grateful you have a job that you ignore your working conditions until they're worse than a soldier on active duty is utter nonsense. Yes, it's true that it is worse to be sat in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever waiting for the IED that blows up your Land Rover, but given the UK and US both have volunteer militaries last time I checked, that argument doesn't carry the same weight as it would have done while the draft was on.

Yes, be glad you have a job, but really if all you're saying is you'd like to have public holidays off LIKE MOST PEOPLE DO then it seems perfectly reasonable to me. I never understood why we had to be open until 6pm on christmas eve (and even then once had a guy roll under the drat door shutters as we were bringing them down), or open again on loving boxing day to sell more poo poo. Spend the day with your family and friends, you bastards, you don't need to buy a computer game today!

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Most of the retail workers also don't get a holiday bonus and some don't even get paid holiday pay. If I were getting paid a fireman's wages rather than my own, I would be more willing to work a holiday.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Disneyland is open for every holiday, and I loved working there so I didn't have to spend time with my insane grandma, I didn't want to deal with the bullshit of trying to get a day off, and we got holiday pay.

Now my grandma's cool, and I would be so grumpy if I had a huge dinner and then had to go into work that night instead of sleeping off the food coma.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I'd rather be in Afghanistan with a gun than work retail.

There were a few Iraq vets that used to work at the store that re-enlisted due to being so fed up with self-entitled assholes...

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

That would be a fantastic parting shot.

"gently caress this poo poo, I'd rather be shot at than deal with you."

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
:( Just got told I have to work Black Friday, albeit only 10-3. I work in a yarn shop. It's going to be dead.

Also my boss invited me over to her family's place for Thanksgiving and I accepted it. So nervous.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

silversiren posted:

I went to Kohl's facebook page to post a comment about how it was terrible that they make their employees work on thanksgiving, because I like Kohl's but I don't think it's right.

Feel free to go to a certain toy store's page and leave that comment. We're opening at 9 PM tomorrow. No one on their page seems to care, though. I'm working 9 PM - 5 AM.

This is messed up:

quote:

Ok. I am about to finalize my "attack plan" I have individual lists for each store, aisle numbers, landmarks around said product, a map drawn (for the big stores, with bigger purchases), and all I have to do is figure out the 8 layers of clothes I am going to wear. I will be [store] at 4:00 pm (missing thanksgiving dinner, it's okay I got chinese. lol) with Chris S. Happen to be driving by there? Stop by and give me a Pepsi! =)

You're really missing out on a family Thanksgiving dinner just to shop? These people are sick.

This, however, is pretty drat funny:

quote:

I CAN NOT BEIEVE YOU GUYS DONT HAVE AND ARE NOT GONNA HAVE THE LEAP PAD EXPLORER BEFORE CHRISTMAS !! I WILL NEVER SHOP IN YOUR STORE EVER AGAIN !!!

For whatever reason, that is THE popular toy this year. To the point where they sold out last week at our store, and we were one of the few (including places like Target, Walmart, etc.) that had a couple in stock. Terribly sorry it's the store's fault you decided not to shop earlier.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

kdc67 posted:

For whatever reason, that is THE popular toy this year. To the point where they sold out last week at our store, and we were one of the few (including places like Target, Walmart, etc.) that had a couple in stock. Terribly sorry it's the store's fault you decided not to shop earlier.

"I DEMAND THE ABILITY TO BUY WHATEVER OVERPRICED poo poo MY CHILDREN DEMAND, HOW DARE YOU NOT ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF <X ITEM> IN THE EVENT THAT I MAY WISH TO BUY IT, WHY WON'T YOU PANDER TO MY WHIMSY?"

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

silversiren posted:

Personally I hate this. It's even worse when people say our loud, "debit no cash/cash back." or "credit no cash back." My machine tells me, and im sure most stores that aren't ma and pa podunk stores have their machines to tell them too. It's really annoying and comes off as rude. The best thing to do is wait until the drawer opens, then go, "can I get that change in (various denominations?)" And certainly don't loving wait until after the drawer is closed and ive handed you the money and you've been standing there with it in your hand to go, "oh can I get (various denominations)" because I get in trouble every time I open my drawer without a reason, so your rear end is going to customer service.

So I guess don't worry about it because you'll be pissy either way.

Thanks!

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

So I guess don't worry about it because you'll be pissy either way.

Thanks!

Nice job representing the average consumer there. :allears:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I like my job, I don't mind working holidays. I do mind having my car not start at 930 when I was planning on heading home. Stuck in this goddamn mall waiting for AAA. Damnit.

Edit: still stuck here, my fiance finally got off work to come get me. Big plus. I realized I had half a case of beer in my trunk. Happy holidays have come my way after all (no I'm not driving).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 24, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Rick_Hunter posted:

You're probably not an rear end in a top hat, but if an rear end in a top hat walked up and said that during a rush, no matter what, he's getting decaf.

I get flustered around crowds, and have worked behind a register before, so, I probably would not try this during a rush, or go inside at all. But if, on a whim, I feel like some coffee, it's my "go-to" solution.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Nice job representing the average consumer there. :allears:

Hardly. Dude actually wanted some advice on being a better customer, and all he got was "Oh man, gently caress you guys, I HATE when you do that poo poo, GAWD"... Can't blame him for his response. :/

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Rick_Hunter posted:

If you still don't like it, work register like I did, and enjoy talking to the customers. You can start learning proclivities and drink orders so that when it comes time, you can make someone's drink from memory.

I'm doing this now, actually. gently caress bitching out, I'll actually be able to afford buying people Christmas presents this year.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

If anyone's already given in their notice / wants to get the store a bad rep / just doesn't care, I dare you to refuse to serve anyone who isn't African-American, instead asking them in a patronising manner "What part of Black Friday are you not understanding?"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Angry Guacamole posted:

I'm doing this now, actually. gently caress bitching out, I'll actually be able to afford buying people Christmas presents this year.

You'll get the swing of it, man. Barista4Lyfe. :coffee::respek::coffee:

Also, happy Thanksgiving to all those goons out there. For the first time in 4 years I didn't have to work this morning and then book it to my parents house to not miss dinner. Hope you early morning goons can get through the day tomorrow.

floydie
May 4, 2011

Avalanche posted:

I'd rather be in Afghanistan with a gun than work retail.

There were a few Iraq vets that used to work at the store that re-enlisted due to being so fed up with self-entitled assholes...

I don't know how anyone would be able to go back to retail after having a REAL job. :smith:

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Decided to do Black Friday opening with an all niter, not leaving till 24 hours after I woke up on Thanksgiving. I may have made a fatal error, but gently caress that. Yall lovely customers/Target for making me come in that early, you shitheads can deal with the consequences. Seeing my family is way more important than your poo poo rear end bottom line.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I bought myself a longboard a few weeks ago because, gently caress it. I like skating even if it may be deemed 'weird' that i still skate in my mid 20s. I found the most epic paved hill around the hills behind my house to ride down. It's around 30 degrees downhill for about a mile straight. I went down it tonight half hoping I would hit a rock, eat poo poo, and break something. There were no streetlights, so I could not see a drat thing. All luck was in favor of me crashing horribly in some way that would land me in the emergency room for a few nights.

Fail. Epic hill run was a complete success =( Guess I get to go to work tomorrow.

Im still shaking from that run though. Holy gently caress that was incredible.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Avalanche posted:

I bought myself a longboard a few weeks ago because, gently caress it. I like skating even if it may be deemed 'weird' that i still skate in my mid 20s. I found the most epic paved hill around the hills behind my house to ride down. It's around 30 degrees downhill for about a mile straight. I went down it tonight half hoping I would hit a rock, eat poo poo, and break something. There were no streetlights, so I could not see a drat thing. All luck was in favor of me crashing horribly in some way that would land me in the emergency room for a few nights.

Fail. Epic hill run was a complete success =( Guess I get to go to work tomorrow.

Im still shaking from that run though. Holy gently caress that was incredible.

The hill didn't go anywhere. Get back on that board and go for broke, son! Crouch down for speed! Hell, if I didn't think I'd be getting reduced hours for the mild stomach hernia I found out I developed a few days ago, I'd be board shopping.

Work is going to be so fun tomorrow.

Angry Guacamole fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 25, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Good luck, American retail goons. :ohdear:

Yesterday my coworker was standing at the window holding up a tray of samples to try to entice people into the shop. A woman outside saw the samples but somehow failed to notice they were behind a window. She rushed forward to grab one and her hand crumpled on the glass like a confused bird.

We did not make a sale because she was too embarrassed to come in. Best customer of the day.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I recall some posters in this thread have worked at craft stores. I've been badly needing to go to michaels for the last week for art supplies but haven't been able to do so.

Is michaels pretty tame on black friday? I usually avoid shopping entirely until much later in the day, but I'm up anyway, and could go when it opens at 6, but I'm afraid of the type of people that might be there. Craft ladies are the worst. :(

Also is there anything I can do to make the day of the people working there less terrible other than the obvious of treating them like human beings?

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
Welp, almost time to leave for my BF shift. National Toy Chain #1, but hey, if it's like last year I can just stay on register all shift and it won't be that bad. Better than being a runner and everyone waiting in line tries to get you to grab their poo poo all at once.

Also, screw people who bring in their infants/toddlers to BF sales at gently caress o'clock in the morning. And people who try to cut long lines. And people who don't understand that we sold out of whatever popular item we were advertising hours before. And retail in general.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

gently caress you Target. We were busy for our midnight opening till about 2ish, and then the store got fuckin' deserted thanks to Wal-Mart's and other retailers Black Friday deals/openings. It didn't start to pick up again till 7ish. I wish I took a picture of the time and all the cashiers twiddling their thumbs and electronics being goddamn empty.

And to top it all off, they computer kept giving the backroom team nothing but items that weren't tied to the floor/didn't sell poo poo, so I had an entire cart full of books that had to be taken right back since there was 0 need for books.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 25, 2011

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Kerfuffle posted:

I recall some posters in this thread have worked at craft stores. I've been badly needing to go to michaels for the last week for art supplies but haven't been able to do so.

Is michaels pretty tame on black friday? I usually avoid shopping entirely until much later in the day, but I'm up anyway, and could go when it opens at 6, but I'm afraid of the type of people that might be there. Craft ladies are the worst. :(

Also is there anything I can do to make the day of the people working there less terrible other than the obvious of treating them like human beings?

Actually it is. It's probably not surprising, but most people are too busy hitting up Walmart and the big box stores for their awesome deals. It'll probably be somewhat busy simply because everybody is out shopping and will probably stop in to shop there, too, but last year I was sent home after two hours because we weren't making the sales to pay me.

Craft ladies have better things to do super-early, and just be nice to the people there and thank them if they give you assistance. Also, and I can't stress this enough, read sale signs thoroughly, even the fine print, so you know precisely what is on sale. If the product you have is out of the price range, let it go. If the sign was an old one somebody forgot to take down, let it the gently caress go. It happens, signs get missed, but the people who argue that poo poo are the worst. A lot of them will claim it's "false advertising" to not give you the sale price, but I've taken the habit of pointing out the sale end date and telling them that would be false advertising to give them a clearly expired sale with as :smug: of a face as I can diplomatically muster.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

So I heard through my mother through Headline News that Best Buy decided last night to call its employees in to open at midnight at the last minute.

True/False?

Sounds like a completely dick move on their part. I'm sure someone got written up/fired because they were 500+ miles away at a family gathering and the manager thought that was inconsiderate and unconscionable.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I went to one of the Gamestops around here to take advantage of one of the 3DS bundle deals, and while they did the whole thing in a safe fashion of giving the first people in line wristbands to claim high-demand items, it seemed like they were critically understocked on these items (though I did get what I came for).

And so from what I can see, it's one of 3 possibilities: corporate is dumb and doesn't realize they should stock more than FIVE of these items, they can't get that many, or they just really like pissing off their wage workers. I knew after long that they'd be bombarded with complaints because they sold out so quickly, and felt bad enough that I wished the cashier good luck before I left. :smith:

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

I went to one of the Gamestops around here to take advantage of one of the 3DS bundle deals, and while they did the whole thing in a safe fashion of giving the first people in line wristbands to claim high-demand items, it seemed like they were critically understocked on these items (though I did get what I came for).

And so from what I can see, it's one of 3 possibilities: corporate is dumb and doesn't realize they should stock more than FIVE of these items, they can't get that many, or they just really like pissing off their wage workers. I knew after long that they'd be bombarded with complaints because they sold out so quickly, and felt bad enough that I wished the cashier good luck before I left. :smith:

The do this on purpose. Advertising an awesome deal, half the front page, which they are obviously selling at a loss just do get a crowd of people in the store. They limit their loss by stocking a few of these items. The rest of the crowd who showed up later now feel obligated to buy something since they camped out in front of the store for half an hour or more.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I am not being hyperbolic at all when I say that Black Friday shopping is the single worst thing human beings do.

Edit: I mean in physical stores. Online is cool.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

So any hilarious stories other than the mace lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Neito posted:

So any hilarious stories other than the mace lady?

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/25/business/money-black-friday-incidents/index.html

Other than that, not that I know of. The 24 hour news day kind of skews the incidents. You think it gets worse every year when it's about the same frequency of incidents in the population. It's just you see more of them because someone decided to report it.