Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Weirdly, the front page is still just loading a random strip.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I want to believe....:unsmith:

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

FoneBone posted:

Weirdly, the front page is still just loading a random strip.

On his twitter account, he linked it and said "Special Link for Twitter followers". It showed up in RSS too though.

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010
Ray... :smith:

Is the text above the comic gone for everybody else? I just see the tip jar sign.

Johnny Fab fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 23, 2011

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jet Jaguar posted:

I want to believe.

Though this Married to the Sea comic accurately describes the weather in Stumptown, so I'm holding back a little.

It was plenty sunny in the summer and we didn't see poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So is this actually going to end with Ray losing his ears? But then again, he wasn't ghost hunting in some mansion he got.

I really want to believe Achewood is back too.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Neo Rasa posted:

Mr. Bear cannot appear in a live action adaptation because John Hillerman has passed away. :(

I've looked everywhere for a source on this and don't see it? All I can find is that he's retired and chilling in his native Texas.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

blue.eyed.ash posted:

I've looked everywhere for a source on this and don't see it? All I can find is that he's retired and chilling in his native Texas.

Everyone dies a little bit when they move to Texas...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Watch him kill the cast off just to spite us.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

At least that would require updates.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
This latest strip reads more like that parody of achewood where Ray's holding a sign pointing at his junk than normal achewood.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

King Nothing posted:

This latest strip reads more like that parody of achewood where Ray's holding a sign pointing at his junk than normal achewood.

Had sort of the same feeling, except more that it came from an Achewood generator akin to the gag one from the archives linked a while back.

MAIN CONCEPT: The harsh physical and psychological effects of withdrawal
SUPPORTING CONCEPT: A badger that could be named Michael
PRIMARY CHARACTER: Ray
FOIL: Roast Beef
CATALYST: An attempt to limit substance dependency

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is a nice birthday present, thank you Chris Onstad.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Maybe it's been the extended hiatus, or all the links to classic strips in this thread... but that didn't seem as funny as it used to be.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is my concern as well. People getting hurt before has always been funny, not serious.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Javid posted:

This is my concern as well. People getting hurt before has always been funny, not serious.

How many characters have died over the course of the strip and are still in the strip?

Ray
Beef
Molly & Her Family
Todd
Blister
Little Nephew
Teodor

\/\/\/ What about the Karma Machine after Cartilage Head assisted his suicide?

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 24, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Beef's died like..three times. He went to heaven twice and hell once after vomiting into an electrical outlet (he called the Butterball hotline to find out if it would kill him).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dodgeball posted:

\/\/\/ What about the Karma Machine after Cartilage Head assisted his suicide?

Was he actually dead that time? That was when achewood started getting to the "I dunno even know what the gently caress anymore" phase.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
"he got in the bed and looked like boiled nonsense for three days" is a wonderful line.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tenterhooks posted:

"he got in the bed and looked like boiled nonsense for three days" is a wonderful line.

I agree. I laughed out loud more than once at this update. My hope is that Onstad has been building up a bunch of completed strips that he's about to drop on us.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Yeah there was a lot of good quality Achewood writing in it. I liked Ray's comment about the water pressure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God yes!

It's as good as any other strip too, filled up with wonderful lines, I hope it's back for even semi-regular updates :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I would be thankful for a return of achewood. Some sort of strip buffer so that it updates consistently even when he's got writer's block or whatever would be the best secret project to have been working on while it's been dead.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
dang man y

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Satorr posted:

dang man y

Yeah, it's that sort of treatment that reminds me of the tone poem/old bridge strips and the writing that really brings me back. Welcome back, achewood. I hope you stay a while.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

There were some good lines but overall it seemed more like self-parody than anything.

RB: "uh dang man but you got to such as like put scenarios into confidence, otherwise you'll basically be Tia Carrera with a three-week old library card"

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Yeah, to me the dialogue felt like it was overworked and too concentrated for one comic.

And yeah I hate the way I sound saying stuff like that, like some sort of horribly snooty food critic. :smith: *edit* I guess this whole Achewood decline and waiting thing just did my nerves up wretched.

Locus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2011

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dodgeball posted:

How many characters have died over the course of the strip and are still in the strip?

Ray
Beef
Molly & Her Family
Todd
Blister
Little Nephew
Teodor

Those have all come from various hilarious circumstances, whereas this feels like it's being played 100% serious drama style. I feel like there's a big difference between Ray having serious complications from alcohol withdrawal and, say, Beef puking on a power outlet or Teodor choking on a bottle cap while watching Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain.

That said, there are still great lines in this strip. Especially "boiled nonsense." Here's hoping it keeps up and ends up with a long-term return to form.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ubik posted:

I feel like there's a big difference between Ray having serious complications from alcohol withdrawal and, say, Beef puking on a power outlet or Teodor choking on a bottle cap while watching Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain.

Or Todd doing anything, really.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ubik posted:

Those have all come from various hilarious circumstances, whereas this feels like it's being played 100% serious drama style. I feel like there's a big difference between Ray having serious complications from alcohol withdrawal and, say, Beef puking on a power outlet or Teodor choking on a bottle cap while watching Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain.

That said, there are still great lines in this strip. Especially "boiled nonsense." Here's hoping it keeps up and ends up with a long-term return to form.

Yeah, but to be fair no one survived breast attack on gently caress mountain

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Speaking of Todd, I came to the realization the other day that his ideal voice actor would be Greg Proops. He could probably do Blister, too, now that I think of it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The only voice for Lyle is Sam Kinison.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I always pictured Beef as a subdued Doug Benson.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Lie Bot is George Lowe.
Has there ever even been any dispute on that?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So I guess that's our comic for the next year or so then.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Jet Jaguar posted:

Speaking of Todd, I came to the realization the other day that his ideal voice actor would be Greg Proops. He could probably do Blister, too, now that I think of it.

I'm not so sure. Maybe Tim Roth, if you think Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs, roughly around the part where he's "Fuckin' dying here", but a little less spit, a little more high pitched.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

Not Todd. Emperor Kittens could easily be Teodor, though. It would work well.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So I guess that's our comic for the next year or so then.

But, the hiatus is "over"! :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

I always pictured Beef as a subdued Doug Benson.

Even though Beef doesn't really get down?

EDIT: Aww, gently caress. Double Post. For my transgression:

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 29, 2011