Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hearts of Darkness is the best making-of ever made, you baboons. Burden of Dreams comes close. Demon Lover Diary is like a nightmare, but it's essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's not a single documentary, but each one of the Extended Edition Lord of the Rings DVDs has a bunch of featurettes that add up to an insanely comprehensive look at the process of making each movie. Fellowship even has a feature where you can look at all the separate elements for the Council of Elrond scene, and this taught me a WHOLE lot about the process of how movies are shot and edited.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

The Criterion set of Brazil has a fascinating documentary called "The Battle for Brazil," which gets into Gilliam's struggle to get the movie released the way he wanted it. What makes it particularly fascinating is the fact that the set also includes what's become known as the "Love Conquers All" edit of the film that was recut by the studio, and is a compelling testament to the power of editing, as well as a look at the trainwreck that could have been.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Hearts of Darkness is the best making-of ever made, you baboons. Burden of Dreams comes close.

I'm gonna have to watch both of these sooner or later. Burden of Dreams is gonna have to come first though considering I just saw Fitzcarraldo for the first time recently and I don't really like Apocalypse Now.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'm gonna have to watch both of these sooner or later. Burden of Dreams is gonna have to come first though considering I just saw Fitzcarraldo for the first time recently and I don't really like Apocalypse Now.

Don't sleep on Demon Lover Diary, either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Don't sleep on Demon Lover Diary, either.

I hadn't actually heard of this one. I just looked it up and it sounds right up my alley, thanks for the tip.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I don't really like Apocalypse Now.

Die.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forgot about Document of the Dead, narrated by the lovely Susan Tyrell.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

The Shining has a behind-the-scenes documentary shot by Stanley Kubrick's daughter that is pretty good.

That one was really candid. I didn't like it that much but I did find Nicholson to be funny. Camera following him into the bathroom and I recall him also pacing around earnestly chanting "I'm an axe murderer...I'm an axe murderer..." over and over trying to get into his role.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love the shot that follows Nicholson from his little apartment, down the stairs, through a hallway, around a corner, and suddenly into the Overlook Hotel. That documentary also has a commentary by her. She shot a massive amount of footage for a making-of of Full Metal Jacket but never managed to edit it together, which sucks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Frighteners has a fantastic - and lengthy - documentary about the making of. It's probably better than the film.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

So, me and my dad were talking about Blazing Saddles and why it's one of the funniest god drat movies ever.

The general opinion is that it's brilliant parody of classic Western films that stares directly at the Hollywood film industry and the blatant racism of those times that classic Western films shy away from.

I got to thinking though, are there any films it's more specifically parodying? Or just the genre? Like here's the thing: I asked my dad if he could think of any Western movies where the main protagonist is a sheriff protecting a town from bad guys, and the only one he could think of is Support Your Local Sheriff (which I've never heard of, has anyone here seen it?) which is also a comedy film.

Most classic Westerns focus on an "outsider" as the protagonist, who at most, simply helps the sheriff of a town (Rio Bravo). Bart definitely qualifies as an outsider though. I suppose Blazing Saddles is mostly about poking fun at general Western film conventions, I was just wondering if there's also any references to actual films. You know, like how Airplane! takes most of its plot directly from an old film.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
High Noon is about a sheriff trying to protect a town from a bunch of bad guys. e: although that's not what BS is parodying.

And for references, the obvious one is the "we don't need no stinkin badges" is taken directly from Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
The real reason Blazing Saddles is a classic is it has a guy punching out a horse.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The real reason Blazing Saddles is a classic is it has a guy punching out a horse.

I'll see your guy punching a horse, and raise you Conan the Barbarian punching a camel.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

So, me and my dad were talking about Blazing Saddles and why it's one of the funniest god drat movies ever.

The general opinion is that it's brilliant parody of classic Western films that stares directly at the Hollywood film industry and the blatant racism of those times that classic Western films shy away from.

I got to thinking though, are there any films it's more specifically parodying? Or just the genre? Like here's the thing: I asked my dad if he could think of any Western movies where the main protagonist is a sheriff protecting a town from bad guys, and the only one he could think of is Support Your Local Sheriff (which I've never heard of, has anyone here seen it?) which is also a comedy film.

Most classic Westerns focus on an "outsider" as the protagonist, who at most, simply helps the sheriff of a town (Rio Bravo). Bart definitely qualifies as an outsider though. I suppose Blazing Saddles is mostly about poking fun at general Western film conventions, I was just wondering if there's also any references to actual films. You know, like how Airplane! takes most of its plot directly from an old film.

In retrospect, there's also Once Upon A Time In The West which focuses largely on an attempted land grab by the railroad.

Blazing Saddles' plot of course has Hedley Lamarr trying to run the citizens of Rock Ridge out by any means necessary (including sending armed thugs to terrorize the town, much like the early scene in OUATITW with the massacre at McBain's ranch) so he can run the railroad through where the town is. Don't know if that was an intentional reference on Brooks' part, though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Madeline Kahn is parodying Marlene Dietrich in Destry Rides Again.

And the land grab plot was a staple of 1930s/40s oaters. John Wayne saved women from land grabs a hundred times before he hit it big.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 25, 2011

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

The song number is a point-for-point parody of Dietrich's number in Stage Fright (1950), and the personal moment between von Schtup and Bart is pretty directly parodying a scene with Dietrich and Gary Cooper in Morocco (1930).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

At any rate, Dietrich as gently caress.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

penismightier posted:

And the land grab plot was a staple of 1930s/40s oaters. John Wayne saved women from land grabs a hundred times before he hit it big.

Shows how much I know about classic Westerns. Good call.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Encryptic posted:

Shows how much I know about classic Westerns. Good call.

Best to look at Once Upon a Time in the West as the cowboy Kill Bill. If it's in that movie, it's probably from somewhere else.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

penismightier posted:

Best to look at Once Upon a Time in the West as the cowboy Kill Bill. If it's in that movie, it's probably from somewhere else.

But Kill Bill is the cowboy Kill Bill.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kill Bill is a pretty pile of things Quinton Tarantino likes.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

penismightier posted:

Yep. I'm kicking myself for not remembering that I read the Wiki about it that has a pretty good run-down of the various references to classic Westerns like High Noon. I'd actually be game for a good thread about OUATITW since I love that movie - but I don't know enough about the genre films that came before it to really talk intelligently about that aspect.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

Watching this scene from Witness for the Prosecution was the first time I noticed a similarity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is Hugo not debuting in many theaters? I looked on Wikipedia and it says there was a wide release on the 23rd but none of my local theaters seem to have it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

computer parts posted:

Is Hugo not debuting in many theaters? I looked on Wikipedia and it says there was a wide release on the 23rd but none of my local theaters seem to have it.

Yeah its only opening in like 1000 theaters for whatever reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, here I was thinking my local theater was just being lovely for some reason. I was looking up movie times earlier trying to decide if I wanted to see anything and Hugo wasn't on their website.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

twistedmentat posted:

Are those the stand alone ones or the double feature release?

A coworker told me Expendables had 2 stuntmen die on the set. What other films have had people die during the filming? I know about Twilight Zone and the Crow, but i'm sure there have been other deaths caused by accidents with effects and students.

A crewmember just died on the set of G.I. JOE: Retaliation in the last couple of days. The scissorlift he was on tipped over.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A stuntman died making Gone Fishin'

IMDB posted:

An accident during filming killed stuntwoman Janet Wilder and injured her husband, stuntman Scott Wilder, and his father, stuntman Glenn R. Wilder. A boat was supposed to go over a ramp, fly over a mangrove hedge, land between two other boats, and stop in the water. Instead the boat slid off the side of the ramp, flipped over, and landed in a crowd of crew and extras.

What a lovely movie do die making.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119214/trivia

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

That's such an epic fail on the part of the stunt to. It sounds like it wasn't planned very well and wasn't very safe to begin with. It the boat was able to fall of the ramp before the jump, how were they going to make sure it landed between two boats and not just on one of them? Why was there a crowd of people next to a ramp being used for a stunt?

There are some accidents that happen even to professions while filming stunts, but things like this are the result of people who have no respect for how dangerous things really are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

A stuntman died making Transformers 3. Now THAT was a movie that shouldn't have cost anyone their life.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

A stuntman died making Transformers 3. Now THAT was a movie that shouldn't have cost anyone their life.

A movie filled with digital and physical stunts and explosions?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess no matter how safe you are, there is always the chance of something happening on set that costs someone their life.

I was watching this video http://cinemassacre.com/2011/11/22/top-15-movies-where-people-loving-burn-to-death/ and it made me wonder how they do shots of someone running on fire. I've seen effects specials where they talk about some kind of gel they smear on stuntmen, or fireproof suits they can wear under regular clothing, but in many cases it looks like the person is just on fire. Not to mention in early hollywood, like in the Thing From Another World, those things may not have been available.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I was watching this video http://cinemassacre.com/2011/11/22/top-15-movies-where-people-loving-burn-to-death/ and it made me wonder how they do shots of someone running on fire. I've seen effects specials where they talk about some kind of gel they smear on stuntmen, or fireproof suits they can wear under regular clothing, but in many cases it looks like the person is just on fire. Not to mention in early hollywood, like in the Thing From Another World, those things may not have been available.
So what you're saying here is that you believe in the olden days before fancy gel and fireproof suits they just set people on fire. Yes that makes perfect sense.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

That was awesome.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Akuma posted:

So what you're saying here is that you believe in the olden days before fancy gel and fireproof suits they just set people on fire. Yes that makes perfect sense.

Well, remember back then, they also walked uphill in the snow while carrying 30 pounds of books...barefoot. People were hard-rear end motherfuckers then, man. A little pussy-rear end fire ain't no thang.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Encryptic posted:

Well, remember back then, they also walked uphill in the snow while carrying 30 pounds of books...barefoot. People were hard-rear end motherfuckers then, man. A little pussy-rear end fire ain't no thang.

They also wore onions on their belts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I always enjoy watching in films when guys run around on fire. One of my favourite things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I guess no matter how safe you are, there is always the chance of something happening on set that costs someone their life.

I just watched Machete Maidens Unleashed which is a doc about the Philippine film industry in the 70s. There is a part in there where they talk about just lighting people on fire and when they got too hot they would just jump in water.