Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I was having so decent results with Felicia but I don't really "get" how you link the her off the ground poke into anything so my combos never really went anywhere.

Who is a good partner for She-hulk and Felicia for a crappy player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Try Sentinel with drones. Advanced Sentinel play has fly-unfly stuff but he's a decent character for beginners and the drones will help you get in.

Once you get more experience, try using Doctor Doom, he's good on just about any team.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Radish posted:

I was having so decent results with Felicia but I don't really "get" how you link the her off the ground poke into anything so my combos never really went anywhere.

Who is a good partner for She-hulk and Felicia for a crappy player?

Toy touch? It's a jump cancel iirc off the ground but i think they made it really hard and they made sand kick with assist her primary otg.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that's it. All the combos I looked up were like [string of ground stuff to launcher] -> [air combo to ground slam] -> toy touch -> [cancel into super or something]. You aren't kidding when you say it's hard; I could never do it after hours of practice.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll give Sentinel a shot and practice getting in. Getting the first hit on the other guy is really where my problems begin.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 24, 2011

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If theres any low-mediocre skilled goons that want to play with me and my friend, we're both pretty awful and I'm setting up a lobby right now. GT is medullah, send me a message...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Xuuel posted:

So uh, when Nick has x-factor active in turnabout mode he does double damage regardless of what level of x-factor it is. Press the Witness H does 650k by itself...

This is because Turnabout grants a 20% damage and speed boost.

So Turnabout X-Factor 1 Wright does 155% damage and goes at 125% speed, XF2 is 180/130, and XF3 is 205% damage and 135% speed.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

Vengarr posted:

This is because Turnabout grants a 20% damage and speed boost.

So Turnabout X-Factor 1 Wright does 155% damage and goes at 125% speed, XF2 is 180/130, and XF3 is 205% damage and 135% speed.
Are you sure? It seemed to be doubled to me regardless of what level of x-factor I was using, like his objection would do 240k instead of the normal 120k. Outside of turnabout mode those damage numbers seem right though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Xuuel posted:

Are you sure? It seemed to be doubled to me regardless of what level of x-factor I was using, like his objection would do 240k instead of the normal 120k. Outside of turnabout mode those damage numbers seem right though.

Stupid question here, but is it possible you were in training mode and changing the Dummy Settings' X-Factor level instead of the Player Settings' X-Factor level?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow. Literally all of these are sold out on Amazon completely. is this normal, or did fighting games just take off all of a sudden?

Its weird because all the xbox 360 stuff was up while the ps3 stuff was sold out - normally its the other way with fightsticks (especially on the madcatz store)

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Stupid question here, but is it possible you were in training mode and changing the Dummy Settings' X-Factor level instead of the Player Settings' X-Factor level?
Haha, after you said that I have to admit I wasn't sure, but yeah, it's the same damage, double for every level of x-factor for all of his attacks. His speed definitely improves more on higher levels though.

It's also worth noting that x-factor level 1 doesn't quite do double damage on his level 3 because the animation is longer than the x-factor timer :eng101:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
My copy of the New Testament came in today and I spent half an hour trying Dante combos. My fingers hurt, but it was worth it.

Should I switch Dante's and Frank's order in my team for Dante/Frank/Doom? TACing in with Frank would make getting to level 3 a lot easier.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

To ghost rider players, tho I'm sure a bunch of you have already figured this out, when doing the standard bnb combo (HH/2H 623L HH 214L 236L 236PP mash) you want the hellfire otg to only hit once. If hellfire hits multiple times it'll scale the combos damage WAY down. We are talking a 40k+ damge difference here.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I am completely lost on the timing for Vergil's OTG into Maximum Vergil. I see people do it to me all the time, I've tried every sort of timing. I am probably just overlooking something stupid.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I am completely lost on the timing for Vergil's OTG into Maximum Vergil. I see people do it to me all the time, I've tried every sort of timing. I am probably just overlooking something stupid.

I have heard the trick is to wait until he just starts to fall, and for some reason using M+H works better the L+M or L+H. I don't play the dude, this is just what i have heard.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Mac9k5 posted:

I have heard the trick is to wait until he just starts to fall, and for some reason using M+H works better the L+M or L+H. I don't play the dude, this is just what i have heard.

Oh, wow. That's messed up. If I use M+H it's simple. I usually use L+M for my hypers. Thanks!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Groghammer posted:

Should I switch Dante's and Frank's order in my team for Dante/Frank/Doom? TACing in with Frank would make getting to level 3 a lot easier.
You'd also get to use Frank's assist which I think is a huge plus.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Xuuel posted:

Doesn't sound right to me, and the numbers are straight out of the bible--but I'm not in a position to check personally. So I can't say for sure.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Not sure if you know, so apologies if this is redundant, but you're actually canceling the OTG into teleport, into super.

Teleport cancel the otg with H at the apex of the rise, and then super cancel the teleport immediately.

You can shortcut this by just doing the super motion and plinking H~M
The H triggers the teleport, and the M triggers the super due to input leniency.

I find it easier to roll from H to M+L, but you can do whatever is comfortable.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
mashing gcf m+h works just as easily too.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Not sure if you know, so apologies if this is redundant, but you're actually canceling the OTG into teleport, into super.

Oh, so the L is using teleport. Like I said before, figured I was overlooking something stupid.

That aside, I'm really liking my Zero/Vergil/Strider team. Anyone wanna comment on why this is a bad team in the long run? I prefer to use characters I like, so I've just been sticking this out. I'm getting more wins than losses lately, but if for some reason this team isn't viable I'd like to switch it around soon. Right now I'm just playing online for fun.

edit: Vergil assist is random slashes and strider is teleport.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The way the input buffer works for MvC3, you can simply do QCF+all three attack buttons. This will instantly cancel the teleport into the super.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Groghammer posted:

My copy of the New Testament came in today and I spent half an hour trying Dante combos. My fingers hurt, but it was worth it.

Dante gets great use out of shopping cart so theres one thing, but on the other hand I'm not really a fan of relying on TAC's.

Can Dante use Devil Trigger to set up a DHC Glitch into Frank's Deadmeat super? DHC glitches still work, they just don't reset damage or scaling, but they do cause hard knock downs which can let Frank take a picture.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I would think that if you're far enough away and DHC Dante's Million Dollars into Frank's QCB super right as the last normal bullet comes out, Frank would recover with enough time to take a picture off the spinning knockdown that Million Dollars causes so that the super big bullet hits at the end.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the strategy guide for like really good players already or can a newish player like myself pick it up and use it reliably to learn?

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

waspinator posted:

Is the strategy guide for like really good players already or can a newish player like myself pick it up and use it reliably to learn?

A new player can definitely get use out of it. It's very thorough and it's not just frame data, there's lots of strategy stuff as well. And there's a glossary of terms in case you aren't so familiar with things like resets and stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

waspinator posted:

The strategy guide is arguably more useful for newer players, but it's pretty awesome regardless of where you're at. The internet had better combos than the guide after the first couple days, but it has a ton of useful information about how to play each character and how to understand the game's mechanics. I made it a day 1 purchase along with the game.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

The original Marvel guide was fun to read even when you weren't playing the game. I felt like I was getting better just by reading it! But seriously, it's huge and full of every single bit of info. It looks great, too. I'm waiting a bit till I get my Ultimate copy because every site has been a douche about timing/pricing etc.

Even if I somehow magically master all characters (no), it'll still be a nice read a few months from now.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Oh, so the L is using teleport. Like I said before, figured I was overlooking something stupid.

That aside, I'm really liking my Zero/Vergil/Strider team. Anyone wanna comment on why this is a bad team in the long run? I prefer to use characters I like, so I've just been sticking this out. I'm getting more wins than losses lately, but if for some reason this team isn't viable I'd like to switch it around soon. Right now I'm just playing online for fun.

The only real downside is the combined health of your entire team is less than Thor's alone.

well... not really...

but seriously... each member in your team should die in one touch

which is ok, if that's what you want, I guess

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can anyone drop some higher-level strats for Hawkeye? I'm getting better at his relaunches, and I'm practicing late air QCF-L > st.H > QCF-L for zoning, and doing slide or cr.L combos into QCB-L~L if they're blocked, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Most of the Hawkeye gameplay I've seen online is just jumpback QCF-L until there's an opportunity to slide in or get some chip on the ground.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

iPodschun posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was. PR Balrog shows off his new favorite character, Spencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K83pDD4Vuw0
In my neverending search for a team to stick with, I've gone from Nemesis/Wesker/Doom to Spencer/Wesker/Hawkeye. I played some Spencer in vanilla so I can do his basic stuff in that game but I figured I should learn UMvC3 Spencer stuff so I took down notes for these combos in case anyone else cares. TK is tigerknee (QCF to up-forward, 2369 keypad notation). Zip is attack+S.

1 - Midscreen, 1,185,000:
c. LM s.HS, sj. H xx down-forward zip H, up grapple L followup, dash TK Bomber, s. MHS up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple, j. S, S up grapple L followup, dash Wesker up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple

2 - Small Characters, 1,155,700:
c. LM s.HS, sj. H down-forward zip H, up grapple L followup, dash TK Bomber, s. MH up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple, j. S, S TK up grapple L followup, dash Wesker up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple

3 - Command Throw, 966,000:
Throw, c. MHS, sj. H down-forward zip H, up grapple L followup, dash TK Bomber, straight grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple, j. S, s. S TK up grapple L followup, dash Wesker up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple

4 - Command Throw Small Characters, 961,700:
Throw, c. MHS, sj. H down-forward zip H, up grapple L followup, dash TK Bomber, straight grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple, j. S, TK up grapple L followup, dash Wesker up grapple L followup QCF super, TK down grapple

5 - Corner to Corner, 963,700:
c. LM s.HS, sj. H xx down-forward zip H, up grapple L followup, wavedash Wesker S, sj. MMHS, TK Bomber QCF super, TK down grapple, j. S, QCF+S QCF super, TK down grapple

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 24, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

TaurusOxford posted:

Ryu, Zero, Nova, Ghost Rider, etc can all do good damage and are a hell of a lot easier to use then Hsien-ko.

Seconding this. If you need to get the first hit look no further than Zero.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's something I found on SRK for the Frank players in the thread:

A video with a whole bunch of Team Hyper Combo options that give Frank the time to take at least one picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4i-po4V40&feature=player_embedded
A cool Level 1 or 2 Frank solo relaunch utilizing his air qcf+L to bring them back down to the ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Vbz0rCUqg&feature=player_embedded

Moving along, Rogueyoshi put up a couple insane Doctor Strange corner combos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_Ia5I00IU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUj_2zJcyps&feature=player_embedded

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

iPodschun posted:

In my neverending search for a team to stick with, I've gone from Nemesis/Wesker/Doom to Spencer/Wesker/Hawkeye. I played some Spencer in vanilla so I can do his basic stuff in that game but I figured I should learn UMvC3 Spencer stuff so I took down notes for these combos in case anyone else cares. TK is tigerknee (QCF to up-forward, 2369 keypad notation). Zip is attack+S.

Thanks, I'd been too lazy to copy those out myself yet. I'm having trouble hitting the up grapple after a launcher though, it's always on my side of the opponent and not connecting. Not sure what the trick is, any advice?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mr. Fun posted:

Thanks, I'd been too lazy to copy those out myself yet. I'm having trouble hitting the up grapple after a launcher though, it's always on my side of the opponent and not connecting. Not sure what the trick is, any advice?
Just got around to playing with it. S to up grapple depends on character size. Hits easily on Sentinel/Dorm, not so much on Zero/Raccoon. My training dummy team is Wesker/Zero/Dorm for medium/small/big along with being characters I think I'll run into a bit.

Positioning also matters because Spencer's launcher sends characters a little forward too.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wow, I had no idea doing Liberation in the air with Dormammu instantly teleports him to the floor+activates, sweet

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's something I found on SRK for the Frank players in the thread:

A video with a whole bunch of Team Hyper Combo options that give Frank the time to take at least one picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4i-po4V40&feature=player_embedded
A cool Level 1 or 2 Frank solo relaunch utilizing his air qcf+L to bring them back down to the ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Vbz0rCUqg&feature=player_embedded

Moving along, Rogueyoshi put up a couple insane Doctor Strange corner combos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_Ia5I00IU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUj_2zJcyps&feature=player_embedded

Man, my friends are going to hate the word "Impact" this weekend.

edit: nevermind I can't even comprehend that poo poo

Also, I'm not sure if I'm just getting lucky repeatedly, but I'm having no trouble at all getting Frank to level 3-4 on his own. Off one hit into a launcher you can string together three of his QCF+L if you time an M immediately afterward and then link it into another QCF+L. Then call out an assist for this relauncer (I've been using Lightning Legs) take a picture then relaunch HS and snap one more then cancel into his combo super. Am I just getting lucky to get the first hit? I mostly just throw pies/zombies/assists and force them to come in, then just tag them with a cr.H. This is exactly the same kind of success I had before I went to the Northwest Majors, wherein I was turned into jerky, so I need someone good to tell me if this is acceptable against someone who hasn't been drinking.

Hawaiian Shirt fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 24, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guys, I was hoping you could help my scrub rear end out. I've been practicing Dooms new BnB, but for some reason the second footdive sometimes misses. I've got everything else down I think, if I connect with fH S, but usually the forward H pushes the guy too far away to be hit by the S footdive.

So what am I doing wrong?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

McCloud posted:

Guys, I was hoping you could help my scrub rear end out. I've been practicing Dooms new BnB, but for some reason the second footdive sometimes misses. I've got everything else down I think, if I connect with fH S, but usually the forward H pushes the guy too far away to be hit by the S footdive.

So what am I doing wrong?

Are you doing it fast enough? If you're not hearing "Fo-Foot Dive!", you're doing it too slowly.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone drop some higher-level strats for Hawkeye? I'm getting better at his relaunches, and I'm practicing late air QCF-L > st.H > QCF-L for zoning, and doing slide or cr.L combos into QCB-L~L if they're blocked, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Most of the Hawkeye gameplay I've seen online is just jumpback QCF-L until there's an opportunity to slide in or get some chip on the ground.

Net arrow loop (st.h xx Net arrow)- is handy to know and throw out from time to time because it can link into itself about 3/4 times (and more off a low air net arrow) then you can finish with gimlet for like 450k or so from full screen (or THC can also work in this situation). People often block the st.H but then get hit by the net arrow. More clever people are finding ways into it but it's a little limited by the hitstun degradation.

Look at trick-shot movement (QCB+Attack then a button for follow-up) to apply pressure. It's the stuff I'm mainly pondering with hawkeye at the moment. It's where he's most awkward and his true potential seems to lie. He's vulnerable during his flips and rolls, but the arrows seem to track in the direction of your opponent. Poison is the main go to, but I'm trying to land ice arrow more often because it leads into combos (and ground bounces when used on air targets and as an OTG) The Fierce version travels incredibly fast so I throw it out from time to time to mix up the timing when my projectiles are coming out and you can catch people sleeping.

Also figure out how your assists help you open people up or zone/chip them out faster. A good horizontal beam assist will be handy to help you zone the bottom of the screen, which can force a super jump and perhaps something laggy you can stuff with gimlet. For example I use doom's plasma beam to cover my slide which can then be cancelled into a fierce trick shot for a cross-up. Even if it's blocked or you don't get a launch off the slide it can put you right in their face or crossed up with your next combo string.

I need to figure out how annoying repeated cross-ups can be.

Trickshot F is also very good to throw out if you expect a teleport. Cross-up ice arrow punish seems solid if you can predict it. One of the worst aspects of hawkeye is that when he's crossed up that instead of doing something mobile he stands still and shoots an arrow up in the air :smith:

duffath fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Nope, that team kicks rear end. Zero makes good use of Rapid Slash assist in combos. Put Zero on Ryuenjin and Vergil can make use of that. Strider teleport assist is godlike. Vergil and Strider are both great anchors. Zero builds meter well but Vergil and Strider are both meter hogs. Unfortunately though, it's one of the lowest health teams in the game, so try not to get hit.

• Locked thread