Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I'm in the market for a Vinni-Pukh stuffed toy. Can anyone offer any leads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For the person asking about tweets, you may not be able to go back to them now, but you will be able to. I don't know what Library of Congress' status is on this project:

http://blog.twitter.com/2010/04/tweet-preservation.html

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Coffee Wolf posted:

Probably Maine, possibly eastern Mass. Got a link to it?
Here's a decent Maine but not as strong as many I've heard (I have lots of Maine relatives): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDpx1aLovc&feature=related

It's this guy. Apparently he's from Brooklyn. But he doesn't have an identifiable New York accent other than that vowel thing.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet

eating only apples posted:

Twitter stops you from seeing any more than 3200 of someone's tweets. If they have less than 3200 tweets total then that's fine, but otherwise you won't be able to go from the beginning, no. Allegedly the older tweets are stored, I don't know why no one can access them.

I like TwimeMachine for reading old tweets. Just plug in a username and go.

That looks good, but at the moment it's not working for other people's tweets. Will keep trying

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I'm trying to remember a quote, I believe it's from a novel with a female author. Something about how some people try hard to be strange but they really aren't. And then there are the true weirdos who are so frightened by their strangeness that they try to hide it. It's about a paragraph long.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How do you pronounce "ur" as in the word "urtext", like if you're talking about, say, the oldest existing version of the play Hamlet as the Ur-Hamlet? Is it err or oor?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Florida Betty posted:

It's this guy. Apparently he's from Brooklyn. But he doesn't have an identifiable New York accent other than that vowel thing.

ohhhhhh. Well, having lived all but 3 years of my life here in eastern CT, one of the videos I found on youtube of him sounds like normal to me, not what I imagined from the original question. Though I caught exactly what you meant when he said aristocratic, it sounds like some fancy-smansy phony-baloney western CT "I'm from YALE" accent.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

nemesis_hub posted:

How do you pronounce "ur" as in the word "urtext", like if you're talking about, say, the oldest existing version of the play Hamlet as the Ur-Hamlet? Is it err or oor?

I've always said "err," but looking it up it seems to be more like "oor." The "r" is very soft. "Oourh."

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008
Why are chimps so much stronger than people?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FCKGW posted:

Also people who complain about the post office not making a profit drive me nuts.

I bet these people complain every time the cost of stamps goes up a penny or two as well.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm looking for a good documentary that covers modern life on an Indian Reservation. Doesn't have to be the best thing to ever accurately capture every iota of the hardships people have to endure, but I realized today that most of my friends would most easily digest something in that kind of format, and I'd like to get them involved in making changes. First things first, though, I need to get them something to digest. Anybody have any ideas?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

nemesis_hub posted:

zachol posted:

I've always said "err," but looking it up it seems to be more like "oor." The "r" is very soft. "Oourh."

It's actually a hard front-of-mouth rolling German 'R', although pronouncing it like that in English c/would sound pretty pedantic, just like with other loan words. 'Oooorrr' is probably the best compromise between staying intelligible and showing them you actually know what it means :)

The prefix doesn't necessarily have to indicate the very first version of something, but most of the time it does; it's basically 'seminal'/'source'/'the one from which sprang all others - or took their cue'. Like Lowtax is the Ur-goon, but the Ur-text of something might just be the one that everybody agreed to be the best.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

I've got one of these coffee makers and this morning I spaced and left the burner on with it sitting there for maybe 20 minutes after I poured my coffee.

Now it smells like a bong, how can I clean it?

:ohdear: Is there no hope for my coffee maker? Help me, stupid/small questions goons!

MaxOfS2D
Oct 13, 2011

machinima machine
Does anyone know any trick to force a monitor to display a resolution higher than its native one?

e.g. 2560x1600 on a 1920x1080

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

greazeball posted:

:ohdear: Is there no hope for my coffee maker? Help me, stupid/small questions goons!

Try a mild vinegar bath for a few days, wash it thoroughly, then run it 3 times with plenty of water and no - or hardly any - coffee. I used to do that now and then when that heavy espresso 'burn' smell got too strong.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

greenchair posted:

Because they have more/stronger muscles?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

MaxOfS2D posted:

Does anyone know any trick to force a monitor to display a resolution higher than its native one?

e.g. 2560x1600 on a 1920x1080

Not without the screen looking rather blurry.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

greenchair posted:

They have to be able to climb and hang from trees, and run quickly on all fours. They're like incredible gymnasts that train with body weight exercises for hours every day.

Living with two roommates, two of us have big rooms and use small heater fans during the nights in winter, the third is in a small room that stays warm without turning the heat on. All other electricity use is more or less split evenly. Does a 40-40-20 split on the electric bill seem like a fair compensation for this?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
What's the name of the breed of dog in this meme?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

greenchair posted:

Chimps muscle structure is tuned much more towards (relatively) short bursts of strength, where humans are essentially built for endurance. The early, early human evolutionary strategy was "chase prey until it's tired." We're talking somewhere in the range of five hours, where most animals can keep up a "sprint" for 30-90 minutes before collapsing.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Captain von Trapp posted:

What's the name of the breed of dog in this meme?

It looks like a Shiba Inu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu

BubsFart
Sep 16, 2005
OOPS i craped my pants
I can't figure out why my pictures aren't attaching when I am writing a post. I know it's a simple process, but what is the easiest way to add pictures to my posts?

gopperhopper
May 9, 2005

hey, are those my chips?

BubsFart posted:

I can't figure out why my pictures aren't attaching when I am writing a post. I know it's a simple process, but what is the easiest way to add pictures to my posts?
Using an free online host such as Imgur and using the [img] tags they provide. It's kind of a pain to use SA's.

gopperhopper fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 28, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BubsFart posted:

Even if you get attachments to work, they can't be undone. I personally use an imgur browser extension to make what gopperhopper said easy.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
What's a good alternative to blu-tack?

I've just moved house and I want to put up posters in my room. But I don't want to stain the white walls or peel off the paint layer if I take any of the posters down.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

nous_ posted:

Living with two roommates, two of us have big rooms and use small heater fans during the nights in winter, the third is in a small room that stays warm without turning the heat on. All other electricity use is more or less split evenly. Does a 40-40-20 split on the electric bill seem like a fair compensation for this?

I tried to do some of the math on this but it requires too many assumptions on my part as to your pattern of energy usage. So I'll just say 40-40-20 sounds like a reasonable split.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

Godface posted:

I've just moved house and I want to put up posters in my room. But I don't want to stain the white walls or peel off the paint layer if I take any of the posters down.

White-tack?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

nous_ posted:

Why does the small room stay warm? Is it because of the heat from the other rooms? If so it should be closer to an even split.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Probably a stupid question, but I bought a mug from walmart for about a dollar or so, and it was made in china. Should I realistically be drinking out of the thing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

change my name posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I bought a mug from walmart for about a dollar or so, and it was made in china. Should I realistically be drinking out of the thing?

How do you feel about a $5 mug made in China, or a $10 mug made in China?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kimbo305 posted:

How do you feel about a $5 mug made in China, or a $10 mug made in China?

Probably not as badly, but since it's a dollar mug from a chain known to recall their products over lead levels, I don't think it's an entirely unfounded concern

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Do you guys think this would be lame to put on your bumper?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Douche Bag posted:

Do you guys think this would be lame to put on your bumper?

Yes. But I think all bumper stickers are lame. But if you have rust holes or dents to cover up I guess it maybe better than nothing. :shobon:

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Godface posted:

The 3M brand "Command" line of products are amazing. They can be a bit pricey, but they stick to anything and I've never had damage from them.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Products/Product-Catalog/

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How "tall" is the asteroid belt? Like if I was piloting a migthy rocket ship, how far up or down would I have to steer to avoid it?

descoteaux
Sep 18, 2003
When watching a movie, why do camera pans of still backgrounds/imagery seem to excessively skip in short hops? Is that a consequence of 30FPS? Why doesn't it show as much in fast action shots?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baron Porkface posted:

How "tall" is the asteroid belt? Like if I was piloting a migthy rocket ship, how far up or down would I have to steer to avoid it?

You wouldn't have to. I saw a documentary on it recently and it said the asteroids were so far apart, you could just fly right through it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pogo the Clown posted:

The 3M brand "Command" line of products are amazing. They can be a bit pricey, but they stick to anything and I've never had damage from them.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Products/Product-Catalog/

I'll second this recommendation. I've used those strips and hooks all over the place. They work on poorly-painted porous dorm brick walls that haven't been cleaned in years, they work on paint and come off without leaving a mark, they hold a good deal of weight (the hooks at least) without damage, and they come off exactly as they claim they should be able to. Very rarely when stretching one to remove it, it'll snap and make it harder to remove, but that was 1 or 2 out of ~50 strips over years, so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

desco posted:

When watching a movie, why do camera pans of still backgrounds/imagery seem to excessively skip in short hops? Is that a consequence of 30FPS? Why doesn't it show as much in fast action shots?

Are you talking about a movie on TV or a movie in a theater?

If it's on TV, it may be a consequence of converting the movie from 24 frames per second to 60 fields per second, using a system called 3:2 pulldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

quote:

Are you talking about a movie on TV or a movie in a theater?

If it's on TV, it may be a consequence of converting the movie from 24 frames per second to 60 fields per second, using a system called 3:2 pulldown.

And if it's in a movie, it's just the result of panning the camera too fast. The shutter of a camera doesn't move as quickly as your eye, so if you pan two quickly it essentially does skip in short hops, taking a frame of the background and having a small amount of space not photographed before it takes the next one.

There's even a chart in my ASC manual that lists the approximate time needed at each shutter angle/lens size/subject distance to get a smooth pan, so it's obviously a subject that's been studied intensely, I think some DPs just don't give a poo poo/know any better.