Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, really? gently caress that. :(

Try launching a paid Android Market app after removing/freezing Vending.apk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, but the Android Market only harasses me about new updates, and I think TiBu can turn that off per app; the Amazon one gives you poo poo about apps you own but haven't downloaded. Maybe that can be turned off and I suggested a gun for a knife fight, I dunno; I only kept it installed long enough to log in once so I could start accumulating Free App of the Day apps, so I didn't play with the options. I do know that before I uninstalled it, it popped up a notification every minute about "waiting apps" that I cleared over and over. Not really happy with that polling rate either, maybe that's in the options too.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*
Well, I just bit the bullet and got rid of my OG Droid in favor of a new Samsung Focus S running Mango. It's been fun, guys. Missing a lot of droid apps already, but the basic functionality of the phone is so drat smooth and optimized I think I'm gonna stick with it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't feel a need at all to move on from Launcher Pro Plus.

I liked having updates, but it has done everything I need it to do for...a very long time. I can't point to any functionality that I must have that LPP is missing. Best $3 I ever spent on my phone.

I have no regrets.

Same here, I haven't had a LP related crash in probably a year and it does everything I want it to.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sereri posted:

Same here, I haven't had a LP related crash in probably a year and it does everything I want it to.

LP+ crashes on every reboot for me. Once I force close it, its good until the next reboot.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
I use LP+ too, and while I've been disappointed about the lack of updates, it still does everything I want it to, and I haven't had any issues with it.

According to LP's dev, Fed Carnales, he's still insistent on saying he's going to update LP+. The fact that he doesn't have an ETA for the next update, though, frustrates me a little. Right now, he's just saying he'll release the updates "when they're ready."

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there an app for showing where my phones internal memory is allocated? I need to free up space and I've moved everything to SD that allows it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I like Disk Usage, although it may be too graphical for some folks.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I tried Googling this and didn't really find anything:

Is there any way when doing/restoring a TitaniumBackup, that it restores the App/Data to the original location that it was done? Example: I have an App stored to the SD card. When I restore it, it's restored back to the SD card instead of internal memory.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've bounced around between launchers but I always end up back at LauncherPro+. Yeah, the lack of updates sucks but it's easily the smoothest running launcher on my phone. It's not lacking anything I really care about.

My bigger annoyance with it, and Fede's music app, is the lack of updates. And if Duke Nukem Forever taught us anything its that we shouldn't trust devs that use the "it'll be ready when it's ready" line. :argh:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, really? gently caress that. :(

Yup. Angry Birds Rio is one such app that I discovered is chained to some DRM in the Amazon App Store.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Maybe it depends on your phone?

On my Nexus S
- Stock Launcher is perfectly smooth but having only phone and browser on the bottom bar annoys me
- Go Launcher is perfectly smooth but seems overly complex and not very Android-y (skins the menu for instance). I do like the horizontal app drawer though
- Launcher Pro is really smooth except for scrolling in the app drawer which is always janky enough to annoy me (3d on or off)
- ADW (free) is just all around slow which makes me not want to fork out for the paid version

I'm on Go for now with an Ice Cream Sandwich theme but it looks like I'll be rocking the stock launcher once the update arrives.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Living Vicariously posted:

I've bounced around between launchers but I always end up back at LauncherPro+. Yeah, the lack of updates sucks but it's easily the smoothest running launcher on my phone. It's not lacking anything I really care about.

My bigger annoyance with it, and Fede's music app, is the lack of updates. And if Duke Nukem Forever taught us anything its that we shouldn't trust devs that use the "it'll be ready when it's ready" line. :argh:

GoLauncherEX duplicates LP+ feature for feature as far as I can tell and is a bit more polished. I can't say it's really a ton better, but homescreen management and app management are nicer.

That said, if you've got LP+ setup the way you want I can't say it's definitely worth the time to switch unless you just want to check it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

On my Nexus S
- Stock Launcher is perfectly smooth but having only phone and browser on the bottom bar annoys me
- Go Launcher is perfectly smooth but seems overly complex and not very Android-y (skins the menu for instance). I do like the horizontal app drawer though
- Launcher Pro is really smooth except for scrolling in the app drawer which is always janky enough to annoy me (3d on or off)
- ADW (free) is just all around slow which makes me not want to fork out for the paid version

I'm on Go for now with an Ice Cream Sandwich theme but it looks like I'll be rocking the stock launcher once the update arrives.
On the one hand, sure the ICS stock launcher is something I'll give a go to but on the other I don't want a persistant search bar and not having scrollable widgets would suck balls.

I hope the aftermarket launchers are quick to incorporate ICS-ness because while I really like the look and feel of LPP, it definitely has an Eclair/Froyo feel to it.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

dissss posted:

On my Nexus S

If you like the stock launcher and only want for dock customization, try Zeam. I'm running it on a Nexus S without issue. No fancy stuff like extra widgets or tons of customization, just a simple and lightweight launcher.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Cheers, I vaguely knew there was a fifth option but not what it was.

Even has a paged horizontal app drawer :)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I don't want a persistant search bar and not having scrollable widgets would suck balls.

Yea, that search bar is kind of lame. I thought ICS had scrollable Widgets?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a good app to record calls on a SGS2? Ideally it'd integrate into the call menu and work on a manual basis, so I can turn it on when I need to record something I can't be arsed to write down.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

Yea, that search bar is kind of lame. I thought ICS had scrollable Widgets?

Maybe it does, I'm just saying what I'm thinking.

Darke
Jun 21, 2003

If the soul still burns, you're not cooking it right.
Has Netflix been broken for anyone after the update about a month back? I'm running an unrooted Evo3D, and video now freezes 15-20 minutes while audio continues. I was hoping the recent update would have fixed it, but no luck.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darke posted:

Has Netflix been broken for anyone after the update about a month back? I'm running an unrooted Evo3D, and video now freezes 15-20 minutes while audio continues. I was hoping the recent update would have fixed it, but no luck.

The last update made it pretty lovely for a lot of us.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is there a music app that can access google music yet? The official app is seriously lacking.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The last update made it pretty lovely for a lot of us.

Yeah the latest version is unusable on my LG Optimus. The video and audio get way out of sync. I'm still running 1.2.2 and it works fine.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Darke posted:

I have the same problem on my EVO 3D and CM7 TouchPad. The worst part is that I ignored the update for a while, but eventually they required it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Am I retarded, is there no Android game thread?

Chu Chu Rocket :shobon:

Just $1, nice high-def graphics and 3D bits. It does freeze on me if my screen turns off mid-game. It's brand new though. SG2LTE.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I wouldn't say that you're retarded, but here is the game thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3356846

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

^^ :argh:

teethgrinder posted:

Chu Chu Rocket :shobon:

Just $1, nice high-def graphics and 3D bits. It does freeze on me if my screen turns off mid-game. It's brand new though. SG2LTE.

There is, in Games. ChuChu Rocket was mentioned in there, too :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah well thanks. I checked the forum but the Android tag doesn't show up in the filters and I left it at that. :doh:

edit: I just neglected to bookmark it from the Android FAQ. Bah. I'd definitely seen it before. Mornings.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 24, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I make Opera Mobile show the version of Google with the search options, such as date? When I set it to desktop agent, I get a weird version of the desktop page without that column, and the mobile agent looks like the old version of their mobile page.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good app to record calls on a SGS2? Ideally it'd integrate into the call menu and work on a manual basis, so I can turn it on when I need to record something I can't be arsed to write down.

You'll probably need to switch to a custom rom. I'm 99% sure that LeoMar's rom has an option to install the call recording mod (I know it used to at least) and it puts a nice big red button on your call menu that you hit when you need to record one.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
What is a good default camera substitute? The camera that comes with cyanogenmod kind of sucks balls

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

What is a good default camera substitute? The camera that comes with cyanogenmod kind of sucks balls

MIUI camera if you don't need a bunch of filters and stuff. I don't think it has an option to use the FFC though.

edit: since it's not on the market, mine might be outdated. I don't know if it has FFC support yet.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Pixlr-o-Matic (link to online version, has links to phone apps below) by Autodesk, of all people, is a good retro filter/border app if you're into that sort of thing. Doesn't crop, but does give small-medium-large-original options for resizing when you save. Has every retro color filter you could want, lots of borders, and light leak effects (though the light leaks are just overlays and kinda crap).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I use Vignette. I love it but haven't tried many other camera apps so there might be better out there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whats the best place to get some contract android programming done?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for a PDF reader that supports reflow. I've tried 3 or 4 different apps now and none of them seem to support it, and according to a bunch of 1 star reviews the official Adobe app just removed that feature :bravo:

Alternately could I convert my PDF files to .mobi or whatever the kindle app uses?

e: nvm, converting the files and dropping them into my kindle folder works. This program calibre seems to be a pretty complete solution for converting between ebook formats and devices. Time to get my read on son.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 25, 2011

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

landis posted:

If you like the stock launcher and only want for dock customization, try Zeam. I'm running it on a Nexus S without issue. No fancy stuff like extra widgets or tons of customization, just a simple and lightweight launcher.

I wish there was a way to arrange the app drawer on zeam, so I can shove all the mostly-unused stuff onto the end of the list.
Had a go at taghome, but that FC'd within 2 minutes, so...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tornhelm posted:

You'll probably need to switch to a custom rom. I'm 99% sure that LeoMar's rom has an option to install the call recording mod (I know it used to at least) and it puts a nice big red button on your call menu that you hit when you need to record one.
Sucks. I'm not really willing to do that, I have no idea how rooting my phone would interact with my warranty. Is there no alternative at all?

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Sucks. I'm not really willing to do that, I have no idea how rooting my phone would interact with my warranty. Is there no alternative at all?

I've brought in rooted phones and Verizon has replaced them no questions asked before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Cardiovorax posted:

I think there are a bunch of lovely apps on the market that will try to recall both parts of the conversation through the mouthpiece microphone, so the other person comes out as really quiet.

• Locked thread