Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

Mah Mutts.

Milo we got off the street from kids so we know NOTHING about him other than he's tiny but really quite thick and stocky, Roxy we were told her mom was a terrier of some sort but she has these horrifically gangly legs (which the bugger dislocated at her hip from running and tripping badly, she's cool now though)

Help me identify something about them? I'd love to have an estimate of their breeds, these pictures are from a few years ago.

Roxy with demon eyes.

With her teeth that always end up showing somehow.

Gangly legs

Newest image from last week

and then there's Milo.

Lookie his eyebrows, they're adorable.

These three are also from the last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I looked at Milo and immediately went 'JRT!", maybe mixed with chihuahua. Roxy is a little harder to tell, can you get a picture of her from the side in a standing position? How much does she weigh? The gangly legs make me think maybe a Italian greyhound or maybe whippet, but I can't really see how she's shaped from those pictures.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Scary Ned posted:

I looked at Milo and immediately went 'JRT!", maybe mixed with chihuahua. Roxy is a little harder to tell, can you get a picture of her from the side in a standing position? How much does she weigh? The gangly legs make me think maybe a Italian greyhound or maybe whippet, but I can't really see how she's shaped from those pictures.

Dittoing Roxy being part Iggy; that photo of her on the sofa just screams Iggy/Whippet! (The ears, too.)
Milo could def. have JRT or some other terrier muttage in him, plus something for the bowed legs??

We need more photos, please

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Gumba posted:

How crazy :) Looks like someone photoshopped the muzzle of a boxer onto this dog.

for comparison: http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PPT2136.jpg

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof
I'll try on the photos of them standing but for a 6 year old, Roxy still thinks she's a puppy and when it comes to me she won't stay still, she'll sit but if I don't tell her to sit she thinks that means, jump on my face and try to hug smother me and Milo pulls that begging pose whenever the camera comes out, he learnt that before we got him, he's adorable but it makes it hard to get photos of them, Maybe I'll try getting mum to hold Roxy up while I snap her, I know she's a mutt and I know her parents were mutts so I know it's not as cut and dry as "This x This" but it's nice to have a better idea, for a long time I thought she was some sort of black lab cross.

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011
This is Poppy. She's a Basset Hound/Bluetick Coonhound/Lab/Husky/Shar-pei mix.....I don't know how she looks the way she does.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

LeapFrog posted:

This is Poppy. She's a Basset Hound/Bluetick Coonhound/Lab/Husky/Shar-pei mix.....I don't know how she looks the way she does.

Are you certain of that? That's a really odd mixture of breeds, she just looks like a mutty collie cross to me! Pretty dawg though

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011

Fraction posted:

Are you certain of that? That's a really odd mixture of breeds, she just looks like a mutty collie cross to me! Pretty dawg though

Thanks. That's what I was told, but I'm pretty certain. I got her from someone who had an "oops" litter of puppies. When I went to pick her out I didn't realize they owned both parents (plus other dogs unfortunately), so they showed me the father too. The litter of 9 puppies were in a baby gate with their mother, that looked liked this(not actually her):

and the father looked just like Poppy but a little bigger and stockier.

All the puppies were the exact same color as Poppy except for one that was red and white, like a lot of huskies are. Also, half of the puppies had long bodies and short legs like a basset hound and the others had normally proportioned bodies.

So it seems likely to me. A lot of people have assumed she's a collie or shepherd mix though.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I see pomeranian or papillon mix in that business. :) Possibly even a mix of the two.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Engineer Lenk posted:

Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

Schipperke or small fuzzy black dog mixed with mutty terrier. Could you get a photo of him standing or stacked or something?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So new pup is supposed to be great dane/boxer. She has the biggest ears/feet I've ever seen on a puppy. :3: The boxer mixes I've seen usually have a bit smushier faces, though. And for some reason, someone cropped her tail at some point. :(

Also she's probably the most aloof puppy I've ever seen. If you call her and do the whole high pitched puppy voice thing she just kinda glances at you like she can't be bothered and goes about her day. She's also pretty lazy and easygoing for a 14 week old puppy.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
She definitely has a dane-y face :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Those ears :3:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This is my friends' dog. They call her a Taiwanese Mountain Dog, which from what I gather is pretty well mutted up at this point from the original indigenous breed. Not really posting for any reason other than that I freaking love this dog and she is awesome.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

LeapFrog posted:

I had a border collie / lab mix that looked like this, except slightly stockier. I remember just watching his little eyebrows move up and down for hours.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

spixxor posted:

So new pup is supposed to be great dane/boxer. She has the biggest ears/feet I've ever seen on a puppy. :3: The boxer mixes I've seen usually have a bit smushier faces, though. And for some reason, someone cropped her tail at some point. :(

Also she's probably the most aloof puppy I've ever seen. If you call her and do the whole high pitched puppy voice thing she just kinda glances at you like she can't be bothered and goes about her day. She's also pretty lazy and easygoing for a 14 week old puppy.

You will relish that tail being docked when she gets older, dane tails are serious bruisers. She looks mostly dane, but I guess there could be boxer too, maybe it will be more obvious when she gets older.

Wanna flop those ears.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I would have said all dane as well. She is beautiful. I wish she were mine. :)

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Papercut posted:

This is my friends' dog. They call her a Taiwanese Mountain Dog, which from what I gather is pretty well mutted up at this point from the original indigenous breed. Not really posting for any reason other than that I freaking love this dog and she is awesome.

Beautiful--a little primitive cutie much like the Congo Basenjis still occasionally being exported. Is that Dallas Rd. in the stick photo?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

badmomrising posted:

Beautiful--a little primitive cutie much like the Congo Basenjis still occasionally being exported. Is that Dallas Rd. in the stick photo?

No it's Pt. Isabel dog park in Berkeley. :)

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Papercut posted:

No it's Pt. Isabel dog park in Berkeley. :)

Ha ha, makes sense--Victoria B.C. is often called "Berkeley North!" Lots of Taiwanese and other Asian mutts running around the West Coast.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Derp. Wrong thread.

Have a picture of our foster without all the hair to aid in guessing.

He's right around 30lb/14kg.

The right ear sticks up all the time, the left is floppy sometimes. :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 24, 2011

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof
The side on pictures of Roxy for those who asked

Those back legs always did look far too long for her, the only way I could get this was by taking it through the window because she's a hell of a hyper dog for a 7 year old, this is one of the rare times she stays still and that's only because she's waiting for me to open the door and let her back in.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I definitely see a lot of Iggy in there. Her face looks a little something else though, like a JRT maybe?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Whippet or Iggy x Chihuahua x something (for colour and bulk), I'd say. That doesn't look like a terrier face, and definitely not a JRT face.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well maybe your ~*special snowflake UK JRTs*~ look different. :colbert: I frequently see JRTs that are kinda all over the place here. :smith: But no, you're right.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I can barely get him to stand still, so no chance of stacked for Ru.

Side view:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ru does look pretty terriery, maybe something like a long-legged fox terrier? He actually looks like he might be a Schip mix, but there just aren't that many of those wondering around and he's totally the wrong shape.

Also, I also have a Ru (who does not appear in this thread because he is clearly a poo poo-bred chihuahua). May I ask where your Ru's name came from?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Scary Ned posted:

Ru does look pretty terriery, maybe something like a long-legged fox terrier? He actually looks like he might be a Schip mix, but there just aren't that many of those wondering around and he's totally the wrong shape.

Also, I also have a Ru (who does not appear in this thread because he is clearly a poo poo-bred chihuahua). May I ask where your Ru's name came from?

It's short for Asparukh (founder of the first Bulgarian empire).

I threatened this name so I could nickname him Pookhy (which roughly translates to fluffy). Ru seemed to work better.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

This is Teddy. He's supposedly a Shih Tzu/Yorkie mix but a lot of people think there might be some Maltese in there as well. Any other guesses?

This is the only pic I have of his build:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My friend had a maltese mutt that looks pretty similar to that, less gangly than yours though, she was stumpier.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Teddy does look remarkably Maltese. Maltese/yorkie is a popular mix these days (''morkie" ugh) with backyard breeders so I could see that, or also shi tzu/ Maltese.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

My friend had a maltese mutt that looks pretty similar to that, less gangly than yours though, she was stumpier.
Gangly is a good word for him.

Captain Foxy posted:

Teddy does look remarkably Maltese. Maltese/yorkie is a popular mix these days (''morkie" ugh) with backyard breeders so I could see that, or also shi tzu/ Maltese.
Aren't Maltese dogs much smaller? Teddy weighs 12 lbs, which seemed a bit big for a Maltese/yorkie mix. You're probably onto something with the byb, though. We rescued him from a local no-kill shelter a few weeks ago and the shelter said someone discovered a nearby byb who had over 20 dogs like this running around outside without food or water :(. They were at least able to rescue 4 of them.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Ehh maybe, but I've seen many supposedly purebred Maltese tipping the scales at over 15lbs. Chis are supposed to only be up to 6lbs, and so are Poms, but weird breeding has meant that you mostly see oversized/undersized dogs these days, not so much with the standard.

I could see Shih Tzu contributing to the size, they're fairly long and large dogs.

RhondaPiper
Dec 1, 2004

Don't make me get sick into my own scorn.
n

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RhondaPiper fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 7, 2017

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Wow, his colouring looks kind of unusual in that picture. Do you have a full on body shot of him? He's gorgeous!

RhondaPiper
Dec 1, 2004

n

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RhondaPiper fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2017

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
How much does he weigh? His coloring looks a lot like my mutt, but yours has a longer coat. So I think you're right on the GSD/retriever. Possibly lab-ish too.

Gumba
Jul 19, 2006

amethystbliss posted:

This is Teddy. He's supposedly a Shih Tzu/Yorkie mix but a lot of people think there might be some Maltese in there as well. Any other guesses?

My best guess would be maltese+poodle aka "maltipoo". Poodle mixes are all the rage, apparently. And their coat textures and sizes tend to vary wildly. Teddy's head looks maltese to me, and the larger size could be a result of a miniature poodle parentage.

Gumba posted:

Bowser, 75 lbs. 25" at the withers.

So I've been giving more thought to my sister's dog's mix. He's for sure 1/2 english bulldog, and the rest is a mystery. One thing that's hard to overlook in him is he has a SUPER strong prey/tracking drive, and once he engages he's nearly impossible to recall (until I catch a break in his attention, then he recalls very reliably). When he's in the house he's extremely obedient and calm, and he isn't the slightest bit destructive. But when we're out hiking or on a woodsy trail, he goes into mega scenthound mode. He just friggin' loves the outdoors and dives through reeds and brambles face-first. So now I'm inclined to think he's half foxhound or coonhound or something. Sometimes I look at him and he just looks like a big beagle-y hound with floppy lips and an underbite.

The first (and last) time I ever took him on an off-leash hike, he walked with the pack for a couple of miles, then once everyone got tired (including the other dogs) and sat down for a break, he scampered off into the wilderness. I freaked out until he came back, walked with us some more, then decided to turn around because he caught a whiff of something. When he found it, he parked his rear end and started exuberantly barking at us to come back and see what he found. Since he likes it so drat much I still take him on trails, but in a harness and retractable lead instead of off-leash. That way he can do whatever it is that makes him so incredibly happy, but he's still responsive to leash checks.

So anyway, everyone and their mother tells me he looks like he's part Boxer because he has an underbite and a deep chest, but I just don't see it. How far off am I in thinking he's half large scenthound?

Gumba fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhondaPiper
Dec 1, 2004

n

RhondaPiper fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 7, 2017