Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

Zogo, I will again recommend Stalker. Enjoy.

LIST O' SHAME:

Fargo - I like the Coen Brothers but I dislike Frances McDormand.

A Woman Under the Influence - No comment. Looks excellent from the reviews.

Citizen Kane - Seems good but perhaps overrated by critics.

Taxi Driver - #43 on IMDB. Probably can't go wrong.

The Fountain - One of my friends recommended this, but I just don't know much about this movie. I did like Requiem for a Dream a lot.

Raging Bull - Looks great just never watched.

The Conversation - This movie looks...thrilling.

The White Sun of the Desert - I've heard some of the score to this movie and loved it. Seems like a must-watch.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

Full Metal Jacket - Looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

lorenzo posted:

Zogo, I will again recommend Stalker. Enjoy.

LIST O' SHAME:

Fargo - I like the Coen Brothers but I dislike Frances McDormand.

The Fountain - One of my friends recommended this, but I just don't know much about this movie. I did like Requiem for a Dream a lot.

The White Sun of the Desert - I've heard some of the score to this movie and loved it. Seems like a must-watch.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

You forgot to put your reaction to the movie they chose for you. It's part of the entire premise of the thread.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
lorenzo, disliking Frances MacDonald is impossible after watching Fargo, so do that. Also, I'm interested in knowing what you thought of Dr. Strangelove.

I can't decide if I liked Punch Drunk Love or not. I guess I did. First of all, it was nice to see a shorter Anderson movie, as I'm sure that he easily could have expanded upon for example the scam operation. That whole side-plot felt a bit underdeveloped, but I guess it paid off in the last twenty or so minutes of the movie. (I like that the whole phone-sex scam ended in the customer complaint to end all customer complaints.) Some really fun use of music in this too, especially with the old-school romantic themes. Other random thoughts include how greatly my opinion of Adam Sandler rose after this, and how much I wanted to kill myself whenever the sister spoke.

Need to see:
1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I should.

2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey - I've seen this before, but I was twelve. Time for a rewatch.

3. Dark City - Looks interesting. Ebert likes it.

4. Fantastic Planet - Some really beautiful animation and a score by Alain Goraguer. Sounds amazing.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my thing.

6. The French Connection I know nothing about this, but I must have seen positive reviews somewhere because I still feel ashamed I haven't seen it.

7. Hard Eight - Last PT Anderson I haven't seen.

8. Pleasantville - Jay Dub posted this in the Ultimate Recommendation thread, but I'm not sure. Tobey Maguire?

9. The Night of the Hunter - I don't know about this, it seems silly. It's on a ton of lists on ICM, though.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca, City of God, Predator, Modern Times, Amadeus, Hoop Dreams, The Hustler, The Apartment, Punch Drunk Love

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 22, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Admiral Goodenough, watch Hard Eight.

The Apostle was difficult to pin down. I couldn't tell if Duvall was sincere in his portrayal of the evangelist, or if he was trying to show the emptiness of his words. I tend to believe the former, but as the many preaching scenes dragged on, the sentiment became more and more hollow. The charisma was there, but they became meaningless because of the sheer repetition. This wasn't a very good performance by Duvall, although many seem to regard it as one of his best. He was too over the top, and some of the subtlety that he showed in Tender Mercies or Lonesome Dove would have gone a long way. 3.5/5

A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Heard a lot about this, I feel like I'll love it or hate it.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The World of Apu
Got to finish up the trilogy.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
Shane
Might as well work on finishing the AFI list.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
TenSpadesBeTrump you get Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives: An other wordly film I saw at a festival a couple years ago thats stuck in my mind and grown on me quite a bit since, really leaves you with a lot to think about.

Masculine Feminin was much more thematically tight movie than I expected. I'm not really Godard's biggest fan, but in this movie when he eschews traditional narrative and focuses on the sexual and social revolution of the 60s it fits well. The movie does meander a bit too much at times and I'm still not sure how to read into the random killings and the ending where Paul dies in an accident, but it's something I've come to enjoy as part of Godard's aesthetic choice. It was also really awesome to recognize Jean-Pierre Léaud from 400 Blows settling very naturally into his role.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Les Diaboliques: Murder, suspense, B&W, french, all things I love.

2.Island of Lost Souls: Criterion just released a blu-ray and I've heard a lot of great things.

3.The Phantom Carriage: Same as above.

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.*New*Wages of Fear: Another classic french film I have yet to see.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The World of Apu: LOVED the first two movies in the series, not sure why I haven't finished the trilogy.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin

Desiato fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 23, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Desiato posted:

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Les Diaboliques: Murder, suspense, B&W, french, all things I love.

It has all that and maybe a bit more.

I love the Wallace and Gromit short films, with The Wrong Trousers being my favourite, and Curse of the Were-Rabbit doesn't trail much behind. It's a fun and charming ride. It's easily a children's film and an adult one, even more so if you're a horror fan, cause this one is filled with references to old Horror classics(and probably a lot of non classics). There's always something to enjoy in each frame, and it never gets dull, brilliant stuff really. Also this is crazy:

During filming, Aardman managed an average of 3 seconds of usable footage per day.

:psyduck:

The Shame List:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Terry Gilliam insanity.

Carlos the Jackal It's quite long. 330 minutes long.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me She's dead, wrapped in plastic.

Gangs of New York Only Scorsese I haven't watched from his 00's output.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1

The Long Good Friday English gangsters featuring Super Mario.

The New World Which version should I watch?

Richard III Long Live King McKellen!

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser More of Herzog.

Blood Simple It's a Coen Brothers film and that's all I know.

Have watched so far 22 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

The New World Which version should I watch?

I only like one film on your list that I've seen (Blood Simple), but I like Malick a lot more, and this is the only of his films I haven't seen, so I'll live vicariously through you.

Watched City Lights.

My Criticker review:

This is not Chaplin at his funniest, with only a few brief scenes (and the extended boxing scene) making me laugh out loud, but this is easily Chaplin at his most heartfelt and romantic. The publicly accepted drunkenness is a fun antiquity, and the ending will make you cry like a baby. 85/100

I also watched Day of Wrath:

Bleak, beautifully told story about witchcraft, repressed sexuality, and religious zealotry. The bleak cinematography and understated acting help create a complex, depressing world of cruel punishment and unattainable love. Wonderful and unexpected. 90/100

My list:

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Silent Light - Sounds really interesting and the style seems right up my alley.

Fallen Angels - Not a huge Kar Wai Wong fan, but I feel like I should see more of his work.

The Letter Never Sent - Been on my wishlist for a long time, and it just showed up on Hulu Plus in HD. I figure it's time.

Dogtooth - Sounds like a unique film. Just haven't got around to it.

Last Tango in Paris - I just never thought it sounded interesting, but I keep seeing it compared to stuff I like, so I should probably watch it sometime.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100, Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives: 85/100, Yi Yi:90/100, The Saragossa Manuscript: 85/100, Au Revoir Les Enfants: 80/100, Scenes from a Marriage: 80/100, Steamboat Bill, Jr.: 85/100, City Lights: 85/100, Day of Wrath: 90/100.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
jonnykungfu, Kar Wai Wong is one of my favorites so you get Fallen Angels.

Paths of Glory was one of the biggest indictments of war and the men who decide to send other men to their deaths that I have seen. Tragic, emotional, and infuriating all at the same time. Hard to believe Kubrick was only 29 when he made this. What a moving film.

1) Last Year at Marienbad- everything I hear about this intrigues me
2) The Bridge on the River Kwai- I'm a sucker for epics, so here's another one
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Once Upon A Time In America- finishing up the "big" Leone films
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) His Girl Friday- catching up on my older comedies
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle, Paths of Glory

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Getting back in on this (recently employed, no free time).

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

caiman- You get "The Battle of the Algiers", it's fantastic

Saw "All About Eve", honestly didn't do anything for me, didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either.

My new list:

1. Dial M for Murder: I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but never saw this one.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. The Hustler:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. The Apartment:
Have no knowledge of this one, but I like Billy Wilder.

6. Gandhi:
Never got around to it

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. Barry Lyndon:
Another Kubrick I have never seen

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, Amadeus, The Big Sleep, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Killing, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 8 1/2, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, All About Eve

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
zandert33, go watch The Apartment because it's really interesting.

So, Hard Eight was cool. I was impressed at how fast and efficiently it moved, it felt shorter than Punch Drunk Love even though it's not. It also felt like a really self-contained movie, especially after the reveal that Jimmy knew Sydney from before. All the characters had some sort of relation to one another, and by the end of the movie all those tensions seemed satisfyingly resolved, even thought it had a very open ending. The Sydney character was very efficiently built on, so that I even felt a bit betrayed after the reveal about his past. Great cast all around, too, was especially impressed by Gwyneth Paltrow.

Need to see:
1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I should.

2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey - I've seen this before, but I was twelve. Time for a rewatch.

3. Dark City - Looks interesting. Ebert likes it.

4. Fantastic Planet - Some really beautiful animation and a score by Alain Goraguer. Sounds amazing.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my thing.

6. The French Connection I know nothing about this, but I must have seen positive reviews somewhere because I still feel ashamed I haven't seen it.

7. Doctor Zhivago - Omar Sharif is a very handsome man.

8. Pleasantville - Jay Dub posted this in the Ultimate Recommendation thread, but I'm not sure. Tobey Maguire?

9. The Night of the Hunter - I don't know about this, it seems silly. It's on a ton of lists on ICM, though.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca, City of God, Predator, Modern Times, Amadeus, Hoop Dreams, The Hustler, The Apartment, Punch Drunk Love, Hard Eight/Sydney

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So, over a year later, I guess I should give my impressions on North by Northwest (which I actually watched around the time it was assigned to me). I'm glad that the infamous corn-maze scene was just one of many unexpected thrills, otherwise I would have to attribute another ruined cinematic moment to pop culture (I think my first exposure to the scene was the Simpsons episode were Marge is afraid of flying...). I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the ending. I know Hitchcock was making some sly comment about convenient Hollywood narratives, but it totally took me out of the super suspenseful literal cliffhanger. When it comes to Hitchcock, the danger is usually just a manifestation of a much more sinister psychological dilemma, and this film and its preoccupation with mistaken identities and sexual deception was no exception. I thought those themes were well developed, but man... that ending was such a departure.

I also watched all but the last episode (and epilogue) of Berlin Alexanderplatz with my friend but then we both stopped watching (and I stopped watching movies all together due to bizarre happenings). I remember being interested by the deplorable yet compelling characters, but it was definitely a test of patience and the pay off rape in the forest definitely did not make the whole ordeal seem worthwhile. I feel obligated to rewatch it sometime, the whole thing, alone, with less space in between episodes. Again, some bizarre happenings were going on while I was watching so it was hard for me to focus and be patient.

Anyway, I kind of want to get back into the thread, seeing how I started it over a year ago and it's still going strong! I think I might want to develop a new list though, just for a sense of rejuvenation. Any objections?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

thegloaming posted:

Anyway, I kind of want to get back into the thread, seeing how I started it over a year ago and it's still going strong! I think I might want to develop a new list though, just for a sense of rejuvenation. Any objections?

There's never a time limit, duder. Also you made the thread. Of course you can jump in.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Admiral Goodenough, enjoy Hackman's awesomeness in The French Connection

The Bridge on the River Kwai was great, but frustrating to watch a lot of officers make dumb decisions. It really comes across as an indictment of the British military to me as they are so hung up on honor and being gentlemanly than anyone's well being. I guess that was the point though and Guinness was great at being both honorable and stubborn at the same time.

2) MASH- the only Altman I've seen is The Long Goodbye, so it's time to watch more
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Once Upon A Time In America- finishing up the "big" Leone films
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) His Girl Friday- catching up on my older comedies
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle, Paths of Glory, The Bridge on the River Kwai

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

I didn't love this but it's certainly unique.

Léon: The Professional - Most of the scenes between Leon and Mathilda are interesting and the climactic shoot-out is very well-done. But overall, I didn't really think it was that special. I don't really have much to say about it.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. The Wages of Fear - I've been really interested in this for a while but I never actually bothered to watch it.

6. Bonnie and Clyde - I've been neglecting some of the New Hollywood stuff a little bit.

7. Léon: The Professional American History X - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen.

8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Politics, corrupt you say? That's what I think this film is about, anyway.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Grapes of Wrath - Here's the grapes, and here's the WRATH! *smash*.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin, Videodrome, Léon: The Professional (Total: 92)

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

Atheistdeals.com, your movie is American History X.

Reaction to Fargo: I did not like this movie. I enjoyed the scene where they kill the cop but most of the movie seemed so haphazard. I can appreciate realism but every event in the movie seems so meaningless.

LIST O' SHAME:

Walk the Line - Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favorite actors. Movie looks interesting.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's an interesting criticism. What do you mean by meaningless? The Coen brothers have always had an interest in how fates and lives intersect.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

lorenzo posted:

There's a pretty good reason for it.

Cause there wasn't any other version to rent, I went with The Extended Edition of The New World. It's almost three hours of haunting and incredible imagery for a person to dive in and enjoy the atmosphere, as everything feels and looks perfectly and naturally framed. The cultural shift past halfway the runtime is executed with such grace that the civilized world(our world), looks as strange and alien(daresay new), as we walk down with a fascinated Rebbeca down the stony streets of London, just as a very lost John Smith walking down the wild forests of strange and undiscovered Viriginia. The story is Pocahontas without the Disney sugar coating(Funny the mother of Rebbeca was Pocahontas in the Disney film), and the actual story part isn't anything special, but how the characters play off each other that is captivating as is their language, desires and dreams of faraway worlds. As the rest of Malick catalog it's easy to sneer at this one, and call it badly edited pretentious garbage, but for myself I loved the extravagance and beauty of it, an excellent film.

Now I watched all the Terrence Malick films, doesn't sound like much considering he only has five, but each one of them is a huge undertaking and it feels that he has more than five. I think Badlands is still my favourite, it's not as perfectly shot or executed as the rest but there's something about all of it's raw energy that's alluring. My opinion of Days of Heaven changed dramatically, from "A bit disappointed" to "in love with it". I still find myself at odds with The Thin Red Line, despite finding it great, just not on the same level of Badlands/Tree of Life/Days of Heaven/The New World. Some day.

The Shame List:

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1 Life and Death of famous french Gangster Jacques Mesrine.

Beauty and the Beast The Cocteau one.

Have watched so far 23 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Gangs of New York is excellent- probably my favorite Scorsese except maybe Taxi Driver. But I just sent something off to Netflix, so I can't make anyone watch anything for a few days yet.

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's an interesting criticism. What do you mean by meaningless? The Coen brothers have always had an interest in how fates and lives intersect.

By meaningless I mean mundane, trivial, uninteresting. I kept thinking to myself, "so what?" and that the only message you can take away from the movie is that sh** happens. The ambiguities in the movie serve no purpose except to make you scratch your head a little bit. For example, what motivates Gaear Grimsrud to do what he does? The characters are static and conflicts are never really resolved.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

I keep starting it and getting bored 30 minutes in, but everyone is in love with it, so there must be something there. I'll let you suffer through it and find out.

Watched Fallen Angels.

My Criticker review:

Overwhelming. The closest thing I can compare this to is early Godard, but whereas I find Godard dry and full of contrived coolness, I found this exciting, visceral, and genuinely hip in a way that few filmmakers can achieve. Sure, it's light on plot, but I was never a plot guy to begin with. Overall, a visually stunning, extremely energetic load of style over substance. I will have to reevaluate my opinion of Kar Wai Wong after this one. 80/100

My list:

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Silent Light - Sounds really interesting and the style seems right up my alley.

The Letter Never Sent - Been on my wishlist for a long time, and it just showed up on Hulu Plus in HD. I figure it's time.

Dogtooth - Sounds like a unique film. Just haven't got around to it.

Last Tango in Paris - I just never thought it sounded interesting, but I keep seeing it compared to stuff I like, so I should probably watch it sometime.

Les Cousins: Didn't like Le Beau Serge at all, but maybe I'll like this one more.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100, Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives: 85/100, Yi Yi:90/100, The Saragossa Manuscript: 85/100, Au Revoir Les Enfants: 80/100, Scenes from a Marriage: 80/100, Steamboat Bill, Jr.: 85/100, City Lights: 85/100, Day of Wrath: 90/100, Fallen Angels: 80/100.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress. It's Navy Seals for you, Jonnykungfu!

Seriously, pick a highly rated non arthouse/foreign film you haven't seen that's been made in the last three decades. Raising Arizona - there.
Your list and sig reminds me of David Cross in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Never got around to seeing a Jean Luc movie (ok, 'film')

My List:

Seven Samurai
Citizen Cane
Lawrence of Arabia
Any Jean Luc Godard
Any Woody Allen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
I'm going to ignore nimh's incorrectly formatted post and suggest Fires on the Plain for jonnykungfu. I recommend having a glass of water near by...and maybe some salt.

Les Diaboliques was a little run of the mill in the first half and I found Delassalle's wife to be a bit grating at times. Once the body disappeared I was fully drawn into the plot until the end, although it's pretty easy to guess what's going to happen. If I'm going to be picky I found the character of the retired detective to be a bit too omniscient and kind of like an act of god, but I guess there are light elements of the supernatural like the boy seeing the headmistress at the end. Overall no Hitchcock, but a solid B suspense film.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.*NEW*Stalag 17: William Holden in a WW2 prison movie, an easy sell.

2.Island of Lost Souls: Criterion just released a blu-ray and I've heard a lot of great things.

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.Wages of Fear: Another classic french film I have yet to see.

8.The World of Apu: LOVED the first two movies in the series, not sure why I haven't finished the trilogy.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

nimh posted:

Your list and sig reminds me of David Cross in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

(ok, 'film')

What are you doing in a movie discussion forum?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Desiato posted:

Have not seen any of the movies on your list, but since you say you like the first two, I'll grant you the ability to finish off this trilogy.

Finished Sunset Boulevard last night. It was very different than what I was expecting. For some reason I thought it was a murder mystery, some detective trying to figure out who done it. I was pleasantly surprised. The acting in that movie was top notch, especially from Gloria Swanson. She often reminded me of my old theater teacher who just passed away this year, so it was bitter sweet watching her go about in crazy mode. I liked the movie a lot. Very good classic.

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. The Crying Game. I know the twist about this movie, but I'm hoping that doesn't make it not worth watching.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Gold Rush. I've never seen a single Chaplin movie.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Baryfly was everything I dislike about Bukowski with very little of what I do like. It's like fan fiction about himself - supercool writing genius who fucks everyone and wins fights. It's all his facade with none of those beautiful cracks (this is a problem with his novels as well). There's no poetry to it, and worse, there's very little honesty. Like, the fighting neighbor bit was clearly directed by someone who's never heard a bad fight through thin walls. It sounds like The Honeymooners. Faye Dunaway was great, though. I'm always happy to see her. Mickey Rourke did a really good Bukowski drawl. 5.5/10

Bodnoirbabe, I hope you enjoy The Gold Rush. There's not much that can compare to a good Chaplin movie.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Hana-bi I like Kitano.

Billy Liar I own it in that 10 Year of Rialto set, but it just ain't gonna happen without a push.

Cairo Station I know nothing about it, except FFD really loves it.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Structure of Crystals This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

new: The Fighter I don't care how good it's supposed to be, I'm just not gonna watch it until I have to.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10)

Total: 119
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

penismightier posted:

Billy Liar I own it in that 10 Year of Rialto set, but it just ain't gonna happen without a push.

I'm curious about this, so now you watch.

Precious has two well developed characters and a slew of taking faces. Sidibe is great and deserved her accolades. She is a complex individual who has been dealt poo poo hand after poo poo hand and somehow finds ways to pick herself up. It's almost comical how tragic her life is. I don't mean that to come off as snide or to lack empathy (because you certainly feel it) but once you think it can't get worse...BOOM She has HIV. Still,as good as she is and as good as Monique is (more diabolical for most the movie than an X-Men villain), she doesn't show a glimpse of anything more than evil until late. It's the point but it gets bludgeoned home and gets repetitive.

The lack of depth outside the main character,the stunted pacing and jumps to her fantasy world prevented this from being better. As it is, it's still good but only because of the lead performance. It may be Precious' story but those around her shaped her and we barely get to know any of them.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4) Bronson - Just saw Drive, loved it, must see more by Refn.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6)Frost/Nixon - Most recent BP nominee I haven't seen.

7)All About Eve – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so highly regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

9)The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Ratedargh you get Sympath for Mr.Vengeance.

The World of Apu is easily one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The entire film breathes India, exceedingly well chosen shots accompanied by music composed by Ravi Shankar. Every character is excellently and honestly acted. The plot, though simple in a way, adds to the films timelessness and still leaves you deeply touched. The rest of the trilogy was really excellent but this was the cherry on the top.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Stalag 17: William Holden in a WW2 prison movie, an easy sell.

6.Wages of Fear: Another classic french film I have yet to see.

8.*NEW*The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Desiato posted:

1.Stalag 17: William Holden in a WW2 prison movie, an easy sell.

Was very disappointed by this one, maybe you'll like it better.

I quite enjoyed Carlos, for something that is over five hours long it never gets dull, and it moves at a very steady pace. The second part is the best, with the OPEC raid and the fallout. I did find that the film(mini-series) seems to dodge all the political questions raised through out, and focus only on the character study of Carlos. And it does that very well don't get me wrong, but there is so much socio-political background to explore behind the socialist revolutions and the armed Arab leagues, that it seems mostly forgotten. There are plenty of hollow speeches that Carlos makes, but I get the impression that they are like that, not because of the actions and support of terrorism as a way to achieve peace, but because Carlos h a bloated Ego and it's doing it for himself. But I guess this is me wanting something and getting another. But for what it is, a great character study on a peculiar and dangerous individual it's very good and captivating.

Also gently caress whoever is the cretin who decided not to include subtitles to cover the English sections. At some points I had no idea what was happening, cause of the accents.

The Shame List:

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1 Life and Death of famous french Gangster Jacques Mesrine.

Beauty and the Beast The Cocteau one.

Wild Strawberries Swedish Existentialism coming through!

Have watched so far 24 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Electronico6 posted:

Can't resist recommending a Coen movie. Enjoy!

There is a transitional moment in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance that reminded me very much of High and Low. There is a shift in focus, and while it isn't permanent it changes things up for a bit. It's a sad movie that doesn't always work. There are pacing issues and some characters just pop up as, what seems like, a pointless diversion. I still liked it, but it's not on par with Oldboy.

e: I really enjoyed the amplified sound as a counter to Ryu being deaf. It seemed that every rock that was thrown and bounced, every cut of a knife and every otherwise mundane noise seemed to have a stronger presence than normal. Or maybe I was playing tricks with myself.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4) Bronson - Saw Drive in September and loved it. Must see more by Refn.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6) Frost/Nixon - Most recent BP nominee I haven't seen.

7) All About Eve – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) The Rules of the Game - It's so highly regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

9)The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10) Irreversible - My cousin has challenged me to watch this. My friends who have seen it tell me I shouldn't. What say you?

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 28, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

8) The Rules of the Game - It's so highly regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

A film about the 1%.

Stalker - Why do I get a headache after watching Tarkovsky films like nothing else? It feels like my brain has been removed and put into a lemon squeezer and then put back. The films aren't "bad" but watching just makes me extremely fatigued like few other films. Is it the length, slow pacing, numerous disjointed concepts, obscure biblical references that are brought out slowly? Maybe all of these things combined.

Anyway the the film felt like it was co-directed by Lynch and Gilliam. I'm not sure why they kept calling the daughter "monkey."

Aleksandr Kaidanovsky's appearance reminded me of Woody Harrelson.

also watched:

Shutter Island - I didn't like this too much and it was about what I expected. I saw through this after a while and it was just another cookie cutter mystery. Hallucination scenes in films were a novelty at one point. Now the more I seem them and the more they're interwoven into a film the more annoying they become.

And I also found the dynamic and story concerning Leo's dead wife to be ridiculously similar to that of Inception.

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#213 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#237 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

Elite Squad - Not on the list but the sequel is. Never heard of it. 11/9/11

#249 Anatomy of a Murder - I remember the 1995 Clockers poster copying this films poster too closely. The Clockers poster had to be changed. 11/15/11

#250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

#251 Grand Illusion - Forgot about watching this one. 11/20/11

#252 Nosferatu - I meant to watch this many years ago (after watching Ernest Scared Stupid or an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? That TV show had an episode revolving around Nosferatu) and completely forgot about doing so. This was back when my only avenue was the local video store and there were many films that were impossible to find. 11/21/11

I've finally nearly accomplished my original goal of watching the top 250 on IMDb. I've basically watched as much of the list as I can right now. So I've decided to begin working on another list as well. This list has been very hit and miss for me in the past but it needs to be completed.

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1998 Shakespeare in Love - On second thought maybe I don't want to finish this list :lol: 11/27/11

Oh no, Titanic and The English Patient are the next two after these.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo posted:

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1998 Shakespeare in Love - On second thought maybe I don't want to finish this list :lol: 11/27/11

Oh no, Titanic and The English Patient are the next two after these.
As someone who has watched all of them, this is not a good idea. If you want a list to work through but aren't ready for the TSPDT list Leonard Maltin's 100 Must-See Films Of The 20th Century should be pretty accessible.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

As someone who has watched all of them, this is not a good idea. If you want a list to work through but aren't ready for the TSPDT list Leonard Maltin's 100 Must-See Films Of The 20th Century should be pretty accessible.

Titanic is awesome, though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Will the best picture list drive me to insanity or is it just dull? Or is going down any award list year by year repetitive? I was planning to continue working down the IMDb list (through the top 500) with 5 entries and 5 best picture winners at a time. I've seen about one-third of IMDb 250-500 entries.

I wanted to watch (by coercion :laugh: ) the best pictures to get a better history and understanding of the Hollywood system/establishment.

I've seen about two-thirds of Maltin's list and I'll consider it. Actually I'm open to any list suggestions. The more eclectic the better.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo posted:

Will the best picture list drive me to insanity or is it just dull? Or is going down any award list year by year repetitive?

It depends on what you have left. There are some great films on the list, but many of them are the classics that you've probably already seen. It won't drive you to insanity but there are some pretty dull ones.

As for getting a better understanding of the Hollywood system/establishment, I'm not sure that'll happen from going through the Oscars list unless you're reading a book about it.

I mean let's take 1955-1960
Marty 1955 A superb character piece with a small cast.
Around the World in Eighty Days 1956 A grandiose piece of fluff.
The Bridge on the River Kwai 1957 A fantastic British war film.
Gigi 1958 A creepy period musical.
Ben-Hur 1959 A longwinded biblical epic.
The Apartment 1960 A somewhat subversive black comedy.

I don't see any common themes, styles or anything else about these films. They tell me nothing about Hollywood or film history being grouped together like that. Though individually some of them do represent important pieces of Hollywood history. I don't think Maltin's list is all that great but most of my issues are with what's missing rather than with what's there. It's a better overview of 20th century cinema than the Oscars. If you want a Hollywood focused list at least go with the AFI list. It has its duds too, but at least they're duds that have stood some test of time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Electronico6 posted:

Also gently caress whoever is the cretin who decided not to include subtitles to cover the English sections. At some points I had no idea what was happening, cause of the accents.

This is a running theme with the Criterion Collection, and the only excuse I've heard so far is that somehow subtitling only the foreign languages is cheaper on mixed-language films.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't see any common themes, styles or anything else about these films. They tell me nothing about Hollywood or film history being grouped together like that.

I didn't think the list would easily fit into a very specific genre or style.
What about the zeitgeist of the system? I hesitate to use the world "populism" (probably gross sales leader by year) because that implies something that's anti-establishment. Can't we draw some conclusions (broadly at least) by the winners from each year?

If not, then what does the Academy Award for Best Picture ultimately represent? Just the insane whims of a few privileged voters?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It has its duds too, but at least they're duds that have stood some test of time.

That's something I'm curious about with this list because it's static and set in stone. While the list I've been working on is pretty much the antithesis as it's very dynamic. Random Internet voters around the world voting on films in real-time. Films like The Dark Knight and Inception being crowned "greatest of all-time!" barely a week into their theatrical runs.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

In 1989 Driving Miss Daisy won best picture and Do the Right Thing wasn't even nominated. Best Picture winners represent something, and I'm not sure what exactly, but that right there is the whole thing in a nutshell.

To me, the Best Picture award is only interesting in context, but then it's EXTREMELY interesting. Basically this whole aside is just a long excuse to say that Mark Harris' Pictures at a Revolution is the best work on the subject.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Zogo posted:

#251 Grand Illusion - Forgot about watching this one. 11/20/11

Forget no more.

Man, I did not enjoy American History X. It's not a terrible film, but it's just too heavy-handed to really be effective. It doesn't help that the music and editing really exacerbate the melodramatic elements of the story. Also, Edward Furlong should never be narrating anything-ever.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. The Wages of Fear - I've been really interested in this for a while but I never actually bothered to watch it.

6. Bonnie and Clyde - I've been neglecting some of the New Hollywood stuff a little bit.

7. American History X American Beauty - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. I wonder if I'll just keep getting whatever is here.

8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Politics, corrupt you say? That's what I think this film is about, anyway.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin, Videodrome, Léon: The Professional, American History X (Total: 93)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Watch this one.

Dawn of the Dead - A zombie film with heavy-handed social commentary, I can dig it. I actually kind-of enjoyed it for not being a fan of the genre. Although, it was about 40 minutes too long. (6/10)

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Fanny and Alexander I love me some Bergman, but haven’t seen this one yet.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Diabolique Heard the name tossed around but I don’t know anything about it.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. Tout Va Bien Goddard is hit or miss with me. I always want to watch it but chicken out.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

Watched: Mad Max(5/10), The Conversation(8/10), Tombstone(4/10), Diabolique (7/10), The Last Picture Show (8.5/10), Fanny and Alexander (8/10), Dawn of the Dead (6/10)