Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

I wonder if the GoPro has semi decent pickup. As for HP numbers, i'm pulling about 175whp now, not too shabby for a 1.4 liter motor I figure.

All of my videos are with a GoPro, so if you have watched any of my runs, you will know what the GoPro sounds like inside the car.

Podothehobbit posted:

Also did you have anything to do with the new novice designation that was put on cars right next to the run group? Seemed to help a lot of the newbies out.

Not my doing, although I would be unsurprised if it came out of the ongoing discussions on the AZ region forums about what to do in order to make the events more 'newbie' friendly.

From what I've heard, it worked well, and I imagine that we'll copy that in Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

All of my videos are with a GoPro, so if you have watched any of my runs, you will know what the GoPro sounds like inside the car.

Not my doing, although I would be unsurprised if it came out of the ongoing discussions on the AZ region forums about what to do in order to make the events more 'newbie' friendly.

From what I've heard, it worked well, and I imagine that we'll copy that in Phoenix.

Well that's good to know. Guess i'll have to go ahead and pull the trigger. Seems like AZsolo.com shares the same thoughts.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Podothehobbit posted:

I wonder if the GoPro has semi decent pickup.

I don't think any camera really has a decent mic, especially not a mini one. I guess you could try making a sock for it that would cut the wind noise some. Even a top quality shotgun mic needs wind protection.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I don't think any camera really has a decent mic, especially not a mini one. I guess you could try making a sock for it that would cut the wind noise some. Even a top quality shotgun mic needs wind protection.

Comedy option of putting the camera inside the engine bay. :q:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This is why you need a separate field recorder with a mic run next to the intake. :q:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Or an iphone4. Brave people even externally mount them from the car.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Final update! Turns out a few of the guys were taking pictures out there.

4 tires? Bah 3 will do fine!

Doing my finest smooth criminal lean.

Slaloms are always fun!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I've found that tape over the mic leads to an acceptable amount of wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMz9rDFOkAw

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

e.pie posted:

That noise :flashfap:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

e.pie posted:

That was a great run and a great video. Using a GoPro HD then?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Podothehobbit posted:

That was a great run and a great video. Using a GoPro HD then?

No I've got a lower end JVC HD camera I picked up from woot for cheap, then stuck a wide-angle adapter on it and attach it with a Delkin suction mount. It has 8gb of internal memory or records to an SD card.

All together it's a wide-angle 1080p camera for about $50 less than a GoPro, with arguably better video and sound quality, at least compared to the original HD Hero, the HD Hero 2 looks pretty badass.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

That noise :flashfap:

Thanks, here it is from the outside. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0hdQbrBA4

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

e.pie posted:

That looks like a hell of an awesome course.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

e.pie posted:

Looks like you CD'd the slalom at 1:26, or does your club not consider that first cone with the pointer to be part of the slalom?

To me, it looks like a non-optional slalom that you skip the first cone on, but if that first one with the pointer isn't actually part of the slalom, then I'm wrong. :)

See the same thing earlier at 0:43, but that one is sort of a wall and could go either way depending on how the course designer called it I guess.

In any case, nice run, an quite an interesting event site (our safety stewards would go into apoplectic fits if we tried to run that).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Locator posted:

Looks like you CD'd the slalom at 1:26, or does your club not consider that first cone with the pointer to be part of the slalom?

To me, it looks like a non-optional slalom that you skip the first cone on, but if that first one with the pointer isn't actually part of the slalom, then I'm wrong. :)

See the same thing earlier at 0:43, but that one is sort of a wall and could go either way depending on how the course designer called it I guess.

In any case, nice run, an quite an interesting event site (our safety stewards would go into apoplectic fits if we tried to run that).

They were running all of the slaloms as optional that day.

The course is actually the Oklahoma County Sheriff training center. They rent it out to various clubs around the city on the weekends.

http://g.co/maps/jx9n8

Those autocrosses are one of the biggest things I miss since I've moved to Colorado. They were a great way to get some cheap seat time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How do you like the NSX? :aaa:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

e.pie posted:

Those autocrosses are one of the biggest things I miss since I've moved to Colorado. They were a great way to get some cheap seat time.

rmsolo.org

From the look of the video, ppir has better nuances

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Phone posted:

How do you like the NSX? :aaa:

I love it, I wish I would have gotten a coupe instead of the targa though. The targa top was fun for a while, but now the neatness has worn off and I'd rather have the less weight and extra rigidity.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Anybody know of any AutoX's in winter in Ontario?

I just started in the fall(sept-oct., got thrashed but it was fun), and would like to attend more.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

leyton house posted:

Anybody know of any AutoX's in winter in Ontario?

I just started in the fall(sept-oct., got thrashed but it was fun), and would like to attend more.

Ottawa has some Snow-X and ice racing, but generally you're going to want a team with a lovely beater and good winter tires for that. I don't know of any that actually do winter auto-x though. (http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=28d70159cf0392e3bc386ba70e621c9f)

Speaking of Ontario - where the heck can I find a helmet? Anyone know anyplace either in Toronto or Ottawa where I could actually try some on? Not something I'd buy without trying it on first.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Brigdh posted:

rmsolo.org

From the look of the video, ppir has better nuances

Are you in CO? I've been wanting to meet some car people here.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

e.pie posted:

Are you in CO? I've been wanting to meet some car people here.

I'm in Boulder. There are a few north of Denver, quite a few in Denver, and tons in the Springs

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Cool, I just moved here last summer and haven't really made any friends yet. :blush:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the course positioning at fault at all?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM&t=35s

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM&t=35s

I don't know. I've watched it a million times and am still wondering what the gently caress happened. It looked like the most docile run ever. Then gently caress, what?

It looks like he juiced it (or downshifting really really bad) pretty good not going straight, didn't countersteer worth a drat, and then slid the car around. It might be the ABS loving him over, but it didn't look like there was much braking to slow him down.

Amazing sound though.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 23, 2011

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anybody else run the NASA-X format? I help run the autox events for NASA mid Atlantic in the Richmond area.
The rules make the classes a bit more level. Stock car starts out in a base class (R, U, A, B, C, etc) and points are added for each mod (r comps +15, etc). Once you reach 20 points your car moves into the next class.
I usually run my MR2 and finish in the top 10ish but this weekend I took the V70R and tried it out and it was surprisingly fun

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kmcormick9 posted:

Does anybody else run the NASA-X format? I help run the autox events for NASA mid Atlantic in the Richmond area.
The rules make the classes a bit more level. Stock car starts out in a base class (R, U, A, B, C, etc) and points are added for each mod (r comps +15, etc). Once you reach 20 points your car moves into the next class.
I usually run my MR2 and finish in the top 10ish but this weekend I took the V70R and tried it out and it was surprisingly fun

Never heard of that. Sounds poo poo tons better than the convoluted SCCA classing system.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

e.pie posted:

Never heard of that. Sounds poo poo tons better than the convoluted SCCA classing system.

Eh, ran something similar in Wisconsin. Anything that would bump you up a class in SCCA usually carries enough points to bump you up in the points system.I've found neither system is really better or worse, just different ways of accomplishing the same thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Watched it a bunch of times. It looks like he was driving very conservative until that last cone before the finish, then he goosed it. The back end started coming out, he did not aggressively counter steer, nor did he immediately get out of the throttle, so it just kept going around.

If you watch it frame by frame the front tires are drat near straight throughout the entire sequence, and he certainly accelerates until it's far too late.

On the other hand, the curb appears to be right on the marginal limits for clearance by SCCA rules (25'). That course would absolutely be against the rules for karts (50' required clearance to solid objects/curbs).

Unfortunately, I would have to put that incident down to driver error, and lack of proper correction after the initial error. The only other possibility I see would be if the prior car had dumped anti-freeze or oil on the course at that location, but there is no indication of that on the video at all.

Edit: I see it was a Speed Ventures event, not SCCA. Also, looking at it more, that finish 'chute' is crazy, the lights are at the far end of the finish chute, rather than at the first double cones where they really should be in order to keep people from running full throttle through that chute to the lights.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 23, 2011

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That thing is so beyond hosed. :golfclap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

e.pie posted:

This shot is interesting. Look where the guys head is (white helmet).

If this was an older gentleman, as some posts on the internet have indicated, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his back is royally screwed up.

Also, background: Boss 302 spotted.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Anyone else notice the safety issues like course workers with backs to cars and the timing van directly in the path of finishing cars? I'm really not surprised this happened after seeing those.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Yea that course design has some bad choices, the way the corner is set up pretty much ensures any car that spins at that cone and doesn't immediately put both feet will end up on a bad trajectory towards the concrete. Also that vette may be fine, the impact speed looks pretty low and its possibly the suspension ate all the impact force and got sheared rather than the frame.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 24, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As part of a course I'm taking on how to be a more effective teacher, I'm doing a microteaching exercise on Monday. I get 5 minutes to teach the rest of the class about something non-academic, and I'm going to try to teach them about autocrossing. Just what it is and a typical (in my view) first-timer's experience. I've come up with a lesson plan that I should be able to squeeze down to 5 minutes, covering a) what is autocross? (one car at a time through a sea of cones, with a handicapping system to at-least-partially equalize different cars), b) it's your first time, this is what to expect (registration, tech/safety inspection, course map), and c) it's fun! I can use the blackboard, a big white sheet of paper & markers, and an overhead projector, but no powerpoint or anything else on a computer (so no videos); I've made up a few overheads (course map, tech inspection checklist).

The class is about 20 PhD students in various disciplines at this university, and as far as I know nobody else has any experience of amateur car-racing of any kind. Can you think of anything I'm missing, or that I should emphasize?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Locator posted:

This shot is interesting. Look where the guys head is (white helmet).

If this was an older gentleman, as some posts on the internet have indicated, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his back is royally screwed up.

Classic nonsupportive Corvette seats in action :(

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

As part of a course I'm taking on how to be a more effective teacher, I'm doing a microteaching exercise on Monday. I get 5 minutes to teach the rest of the class about something non-academic, and I'm going to try to teach them about autocrossing. Just what it is and a typical (in my view) first-timer's experience. I've come up with a lesson plan that I should be able to squeeze down to 5 minutes, covering a) what is autocross? (one car at a time through a sea of cones, with a handicapping system to at-least-partially equalize different cars), b) it's your first time, this is what to expect (registration, tech/safety inspection, course map), and c) it's fun! I can use the blackboard, a big white sheet of paper & markers, and an overhead projector, but no powerpoint or anything else on a computer (so no videos); I've made up a few overheads (course map, tech inspection checklist).

The class is about 20 PhD students in various disciplines at this university, and as far as I know nobody else has any experience of amateur car-racing of any kind. Can you think of anything I'm missing, or that I should emphasize?

Unless your event actually runs a handicapping system you can refer to, I'd stick with calling it a "classing system" to keep similar level of speed cars competing against each other. Then maybe give a quick example of classes and why tire choice is important, i.e. a miata on R-Comps is classed higher than a Ferrari.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
OH LAWDS THAT NOISE :fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-087MAKIPU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Muffinpox posted:

Unless your event actually runs a handicapping system you can refer to, I'd stick with calling it a "classing system" to keep similar level of speed cars competing against each other. Then maybe give a quick example of classes and why tire choice is important, i.e. a miata on R-Comps is classed higher than a Ferrari.
Awesome, thanks! The car classing was the part I was having the hardest time with, it balloons quickly to a huge complicated me-stuttering-about-Porsches thing, just calling it a classing system and giving a quick example will be perfect.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just keep it super simple and don't go into details. Mention that cars are classed by a governing body, the SCCA, with an index that is supposed to level the playing field. For example, it wouldn't be fair to compare apples-to-apples an economy car (mention Nissan Versa, Honda Fit/Civic, whatever) against a Corvette or a 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Awesome, thanks! The car classing was the part I was having the hardest time with, it balloons quickly to a huge complicated me-stuttering-about-Porsches thing, just calling it a classing system and giving a quick example will be perfect.

Yea, it's really easy since you can just say "x and y are in the same class because they run similar times" which is a bit simplistic but since you have only 5 minutes it's a pretty straightforward rule to apply.

• Locked thread