Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

If it makes you feel better there are downsides to a delightful winter in Orlando, Florida. Floridians. Yes, me included. Look at what a pompous dick I am. Also Casey Anthoney. Also, this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450930

You can't make me feel better about this since I found out a short while ago that its not just the wheel that's bent up but a number of other suspension components.

Looks like I'm diving a big green buick for the next few days while this thing gets fixed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

I *think* I have all my ducks in a row for the engine rebuild now....?

EJ257 shortblock (arrived and on the stand)

Gasket kit (full)..... not sure where best to get it

11mm oil pump?

Using stock WRX heads and head gasket so that'll raise compression a touch

Invidia RHD downpipe...? Wait what the hell was the pipe recommended again?

07 Tuned by STI map

ARP head studs (may as well)

KillerB pickup

Baffled sump....? Still unsure which one. NRG or KillerB, hosed if I know.

Ehhhhhh, this all just reminds me how I know a shitload about the chassis, diffs and brakes but gently caress all about the engine.

sounds about right. You don't really need a full gasket kit plus it doesn't even come with the valve cover stuff. If you want a list with part numbers I have one around somewhere.

11mm oil pump if you change clearances or plan to rev higher. a touch extra bearing clearance on the rods is a generally accepted good idea. I keep hearing people claim that a bigger pump can cause extra oil consumption and higher oil temps but haven't seen any actual proof of that. We use the cosworth worked over 12mm jdm pump and had their longblock above 9k with it. with the subsequent longer stroked motor we set the limiter to 8500 but ripped a rod in half (bearings were perfect though). then with heavier I-beam rods kept it to 8200.

compression will go up about half a point

I don't know for sure if Invidia makes a RHD downpipe. Just make sure you get something with a nice cast bellmouth section. Better flow and more reliable; the ones with a pipe welded to a flange tend to fall apart because of the heat.

an "07 tuned by sti" map is not going to work with the added compression and downpipe. needs to be custom.

arp studs yes. final torque at 90 lb-ft.

pickup- killer b one is good. if you want a pan too get one from the same company to ensure it ends up at the right level and place in the pan. Moroso's new pan and pickup are good too, just depends on what you can get easier and cheaper in aus.

NRG? over here it's a company that makes ricer steering wheels and poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
06 WRX oil pan is identical to the twinscroll and STI pans so you don't need to replace it. Or at least it was on my car. Is there a benefit to an aftermarket pan (aside from increased capacity?) I could install the Killer B baffle and pickup fine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 24, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah the killer b and moroso pans hold about an extra quart and have better internal baffling. the older moroso pan even has trap doors built into it. LIC is one of the fastest wet sump Subarus in the world and they're using the new moroso pan without an accumulator. They actually log oil pressure and tell me it's been solid.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 24, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

yeah the killer b and moroso pans hold about an extra quart and have better internal baffling. the older moroso pan even has trap doors built into it. LIC is one of the fastest wet sump Subarus in the world and they're using the new moroso pan without an accumulator. They actually log oil pressure and tell me it's been solid.

LIC? Why those guys are just down the road...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

LIC? Why those guys are just down the road...
LIC is a bit weird though. For example, they won't rebuild a motor. They must start with a fresh motor and build that. Weird and expensive as hell.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

an "07 tuned by sti" map is not going to work with the added compression and downpipe. needs to be custom.

I's my base map because (done my research :D ) the Tuned by STI has a split downpipe and much better boost / fuel maps that will be a better match for the throttle response I want + now upped compression + exhaust.

We'll run the thing up, have a look and adjust as required from there but I dont think we'll need to do too much. I've also got access to a car with exact same spec and that was done from a 07 Tuned by map as well, they only needed to adjust the timing advance a bit so it seems like for me a very good starting point.

quote:

NRG? over here it's a company that makes ricer steering wheels and poo poo.

Local reasonable Subaru / Mazda tuning house here. Not somewhere I want to go to for anything else but they do baffled sump that's got good reviews.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

I's my base map because (done my research :D ) the Tuned by STI has a split downpipe and much better boost / fuel maps that will be a better match for the throttle response I want + now upped compression + exhaust.

We'll run the thing up, have a look and adjust as required from there but I dont think we'll need to do too much. I've also got access to a car with exact same spec and that was done from a 07 Tuned by map as well, they only needed to adjust the timing advance a bit so it seems like for me a very good starting point.

Local reasonable Subaru / Mazda tuning house here. Not somewhere I want to go to for anything else but they do baffled sump that's got good reviews.

Come down here and get techworkz to sort your poo poo out, Micks WRX STI went very well in the ARC/WRC event at Coffs. He did his WRX and had a good lookin at Pattons WRX. You are welcome to store your car at my place and a room here, we got 2 spare rooms.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Like others have noted, winter has appeared in the northeast US. I realized the other day while I was talking with MY GIRLFRIEND - The LGT is my "nice" car, so it really only comes out on good days and is generally kept clean. Except for when the weather is absolutely terrible and I'd feel safer in the heavier (more stable) and AWD capable vehicle.

Essentially, I bought this car specifically for it's capabilities, but now try to shelter it from the conditions for which I originally bought it. Does anyone else see a problem with this logic? :v:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

Like others have noted, winter has appeared in the northeast US. I realized the other day while I was talking with MY GIRLFRIEND - The LGT is my "nice" car, so it really only comes out on good days and is generally kept clean. Except for when the weather is absolutely terrible and I'd feel safer in the heavier (more stable) and AWD capable vehicle.

Essentially, I bought this car specifically for it's capabilities, but now try to shelter it from the conditions for which I originally bought it. Does anyone else see a problem with this logic? :v:

You just need more subarus.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

c355n4 posted:

damnit...I knew I should have taken up my buddy on the RHD v3sti swapped into 99 RS. Oh well, too late now, he parted it out. Sure was amusing for the 3 blocks or so I drove it!

Actually, if the family plans happen, I may opt for an FXT....or V70R. We'll see how that goes. Just have to wait it out a bit.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Tongsy posted:

You can't make me feel better about this since I found out a short while ago that its not just the wheel that's bent up but a number of other suspension components.

Looks like I'm diving a big green buick for the next few days while this thing gets fixed :(

Holy crap, mechanic called this afternoon to let me know that it was actually just two bent rims.

Got it back and it drives like new. That's the last time I go to the tire shop i went to...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

damnit...I knew I should have taken up my buddy on the RHD v3sti swapped into 99 RS. Oh well, too late now, he parted it out. Sure was amusing for the 3 blocks or so I drove it!

Actually, if the family plans happen, I may opt for an FXT....or V70R. We'll see how that goes. Just have to wait it out a bit.

Just buy a GC OBS for a winter beater. Problem solved.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Is 2 WRX's, one STI and one Forester enoguh Subarus?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Can always use more!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Terrist posted:

There are 9 major stars in the Pleiades star cluster. You need 5 more for that authentic Subaru love.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hey so that's where alcyone (jdm svx) came from.

Cat Terrist posted:

found their site. seems a little steep for a stock pan with added baffles. Although I guess cosworth gets away with it:

http://cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=22&idproduct=43

$630 for stock pickup, stock windage tray, and a box welded to the pan which severely limits header choice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 25, 2011

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
What's a good shop manual for 06 Outback Sport? Can I just use the Impreza manual for same year?

There is a guy on ebay selling shop manuals on CDs for about $8, is this a scam?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Just buy a GC OBS for a winter beater. Problem solved.
It solves like thirty problems and adds just as many more.

quote:

There is a guy on ebay selling shop manuals on CDs for about $8, is this a scam?
It's probably not, but it's not a very good deal - I know that you can subscribe to Subaru's technical docs library and then download all of the manuals for less than that per manual.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

ARP do big ones that fit in the stock holes, ARP = win.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I really need to make my own thread and stop making GBS threads up the subaru thread...

As soon as I get the car going great, I figure out reasons to put it on jackstands for a few days...

I got the external facing part of the patch panel welded in. Then I ran out of MIG gas. Getting more tomorrow and am going to marathon to the rest of the weekend to weld the rest of the panel in, then start rebuilding part of the rear end that also rotted out.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Why is it that people think their tastelessly modded GC 2.5rs's are worth 2.5 times what KBB says?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2713248135.html
http://www.kbb.com/subaru/impreza/1...e=private-party

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Amandyke posted:

Why is it that people think their tastelessly modded GC 2.5rs's are worth 2.5 times what KBB says?

TELL ME ABOUT IT.

I've been searching for a GC RS to complement my bugeye RS and the prices are completely asinine. You can get a wrx for 4 to 5k, your slow lovely loving RS is worth 3k, 4k if it's had the HG's done. Tops. I search craigslist, RS25, NES, and Nasioc for RS's multiple times a week and repleatedly see 6k RS's. And dumb-asses buy them.

I just want to buy one, pull the motor as a spare for mine, and dump a wrecked wrx I have access to into the GC shell. Is that too much to ask :|

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

The problem is twofold.
One: KBB doesn't accurately price low volume cars like a 2.5rs coupe. (6k is way to much for that car though)
Two: People who think "mods" increase car value are smoking crack.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't see the appeal of the 2.5rs. The whole reason to get one of those is to do an sti swap, so I'd just get the cheapest 2-door impreza I could find.

although I like to think I could get over 5k for my legacy when kbb says 3500.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

I don't see the appeal of the 2.5rs. The whole reason to get one of those is to do an sti swap, so I'd just get the cheapest 2-door impreza I could find.
Because they look pretty awesome (coupe only)

Obviously the el cheapo ones are better for a swap from an objective standpoint (they're apparently lighter too), but looks matter too. I'm not sure they matter 4 grand, but I'm not buying one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slow is Fast posted:

I just want to buy one, pull the motor as a spare for mine, and dump a wrecked wrx I have access to into the GC shell. Is that too much to ask :|

Yes. I was really really tempted to get that GC wagon STi swap. If it were a coupe, I'd done it a long time ago. That's how cool CG coupes look.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

well, that extra 4k does get you an aerosim widebody kit with bumpers and hood (and paint if you go fiberglass). assuming he hasn't left the country.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I had this same conversation with a dude at a subaru meet and he said you could just get a 2.2 impreza, do an STI swap and then throw the 2.5 RS trims on there and no one would really know the difference. On the surface that seems true, but there must be some differences no?

The 2.5 RS coupes look so hot though, but I still haven't been able to find a decent priced one that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The solution to cars with low resale value is to sell them in Canada. The cheapest 2.5RS I've seen here was one with an utterly destroyed engine and transmission for $4500. For $6000 I could buy one with no engine, or one with rod knock and dead head gaskets. You can get a 1.8/2.2 Impreza coupe for cheaper, but not much cheaper. jamal could probably wring $6k out of his Legacy if only for the resale value of the parts.

Nodoze posted:

I had this same conversation with a dude at a subaru meet and he said you could just get a 2.2 impreza, do an STI swap and then throw the 2.5 RS trims on there and no one would really know the difference. On the surface that seems true, but there must be some differences no?

The 2.5 RS coupes look so hot though, but I still haven't been able to find a decent priced one that isn't a piece of poo poo.
Transmission and rear diff is different - final drive is larger (4.11 vs. 3.9) and the 2.5RS coupe has a viscous LSD with different rear axles. Gear ratios may be different. I think some may also have rear discs instead of rear drums. Suspension bits may be different (different swaybar/spring/strut tuning).

That said, any halfway competent STI swap would include those items or better (I'd opt for the STI 6-speed as it's the best part of the car, but a decent one is pretty much equivalent in price to the Subaru you'd be wrapping it in). It's not like the body on the 2.5RS has extra reinforcement or anything.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 27, 2011

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I am now the proud owner of a 1988 Subaru GL!! It's a wagon, it has the low range, body is pretty straight, no rust at all (well, if you want to be a dick about it, there is a very superficial patch on the rear hatch) 186,000 miles. It has a few bugs like some horrendous drumming sound that comes from the passenger side and a few odds and ends like needing shocks and odd bits on the body- but all in all it's very nice!

I'm pretty stoked about this machine.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

PadreScout posted:

I am now the proud owner of a 1988 Subaru GL!! It's a wagon, it has the low range, body is pretty straight, no rust at all (well, if you want to be a dick about it, there is a very superficial patch on the rear hatch) 186,000 miles. It has a few bugs like some horrendous drumming sound that comes from the passenger side and a few odds and ends like needing shocks and odd bits on the body- but all in all it's very nice!

I'm pretty stoked about this machine.

Congrats. Between chrisgt on here, and http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/ you'll have more info than you know what to do with about GL's.

In other news, got my stock suspension out:

I have tokico dpsecs with sti springs going in. Anything I should take note of upon install? I want to make sure I have the springs in right... Need to study the service manual more and make sure I find the right order for assembling them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

should all be pretty straightforward. there's a conical washer between the front perches and top hats, and it goes skinny side up. Plus you'll probably need a spring compressor to get the front suspension together (the rear is easy though).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

should all be pretty straightforward. there's a conical washer between the front perches and top hats, and it goes skinny side up. Plus you'll probably need a spring compressor to get the front suspension together (the rear is easy though).

I grabbed the washer out of the fronts and put it aside. Didn't know it goes a certain way. I have spring compressors so I'm all set on that front.

Any tips to make sure I have the right springs front vs rear, up vs down?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

they're only going to fit right one way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Tell that to the guys that swapped suspension on my STI

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

In other news, got my stock suspension out:

I loving hate salt so much.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Here's hoping.

nm posted:

You're telling me? I've gone through two tanks of MIG gas and a spool of wire.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

nm posted:

Me too, just snapped a 14mm bolt in the crossmember I'm selling today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
I'm slowly catching up to everything needed on my majestic 1986 Subaru XT GL-10, which has become a perma-project car after a simple front brake job turned into replacing the entire braking system. It's dirty in this picture, that's not rust in the corners(yet)

The latest fun project was replacing every oil seal on the front of the engine, timing belts and tensioners, valve cover gaskets. Timing belts love to soak up oil and power steering fluid! If I buy another one of these I'll just remove the engine to do all of this poo poo. Didn't have a problem with the steel screws in aluminum threads, though.

Apparently the Turbo Bird corporation made my valve covers.