Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Kudaros posted:

The newegg reviews talk a bit about backlight bleeding -- what exactly is this? Is it an over reaction?
This right here is an example of bad backlight bleeding, it's one of the ways a monitor can be defective. A little bit of bleeding is normal, but if it's bad you just get it replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Alereon posted:

Check out the Asus ML239H for $189.99-$20 MIR=$169.99 at Newegg, it's an IPS panel. That price and rebate should be available until the end of the month. If you care about color accuracy as opposed to just looking nice you might want to consider investing in a color calibrator, even a cheap monitor generally has better color accuracy when calibrated than a more expensive but uncalibrated monitor.

Thanks, I'll look into this. What kind of process / $ would I be looking at for color calibration?

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Dell is selling the U2312 for 230 and U2412 for 299 on Black Friday.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

David Tennant posted:

U2412M inc, thanks!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thanks, I'll look into this. What kind of process / $ would I be looking at for color calibration?
A reasonably cheap one (without being so cheap as to be useless) is $100-$200, depending on model and included software. The Sypder3 series and the XRite iOne Display 2 (or i1Display 2--different places list it different ways) are probably what you'd want. That said, it's probably not really worth it if you've just got a single $150 panel; you might look into seeing if a friend has one you could borrow, or going in with several people to buy one to share.

Parsa
Jan 12, 2005

Nupid Stewbie?
So glad i waited till today, ordered two of the U2414M's for 299 a pop.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Parsa posted:

So glad i waited till today, ordered two of the U2414M's for 299 a pop.

What are the chances of the 2412 still being available tomorrow? I really want it but it's tough to justify at the moment. I was hoping to sleep on it instead of deciding when exhausted.

JojoTheGoat
Mar 5, 2002
So I'm deciding between

1) ASUS ML239H 23-Inch LED IPS Monitor - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ML239H-23-Inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B004R5SLJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322203007&sr=8-1

2) ASUS VH238H 23-Inch LED Monitor - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH238H-23-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B004J6BIJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322201649&sr=8-1

If those two options both suck, I could splurge for the Dell U2414M if it's really that much better. Couple things of note - I really only use my computer to play computer games and do schoolwork. I generally only watch movies on my TV and not at my computer. Would the IPS display have still have much of an advantage?

Parsa
Jan 12, 2005

Nupid Stewbie?

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What are the chances of the 2412 still being available tomorrow? I really want it but it's tough to justify at the moment. I was hoping to sleep on it instead of deciding when exhausted.

Well, its on the 24 hour countdown so you should have till tomorrow night. Nothing in there said limited quantity so as long as you get yours in by then you should be OK.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

JojoTheGoat posted:

So I'm deciding between

1) ASUS ML239H 23-Inch LED IPS Monitor - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ML239H-23-Inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B004R5SLJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322203007&sr=8-1

2) ASUS VH238H 23-Inch LED Monitor - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH238H-23-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B004J6BIJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322201649&sr=8-1

If those two options both suck, I could splurge for the Dell U2414M if it's really that much better. Couple things of note - I really only use my computer to play computer games and do schoolwork. I generally only watch movies on my TV and not at my computer. Would the IPS display have still have much of an advantage?

FYI - The VH238H is on sale at newegg for $130 ($10 MIR). Is that a good a deal as it sounds to me?

JojoTheGoat
Mar 5, 2002

Erdricks posted:

FYI - The VH238H is on sale at newegg for $130 ($10 MIR). Is that a good a deal as it sounds to me?

I honestly have no clue but it seems like a pretty sweet deal. Nobody seems to be talking about it on any deals forums though - so either it's flying under the radar or it's not that great of a deal. Kind of hoping that it's just nobody has really noticed it as I'll be ordering one come 12am PST.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I just ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009315 from the newegg sale and it seems to get good reviews. I assume its fine for gaming even though its a budget monitor?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Stealthgerbil posted:

I just ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009315 from the newegg sale and it seems to get good reviews. I assume its fine for gaming even though its a budget monitor?
The monitor itself will probably look fine, it's so cheap because it doesn't support HDCP copy protection, meaning you can't use it to watch Blurays, hook it up to a TV box, or otherwise use it for watching protected content.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Alereon posted:

The monitor itself will probably look fine, it's so cheap because it doesn't support HDCP copy protection, meaning you can't use it to watch Blurays, hook it up to a TV box, or otherwise use it for watching protected content.

Thats ok with me though... I am just going to be using it to play computer games and maybe type a thing or two.

Rodan
Sep 24, 2002
Florida Gator
I just narrowly decided to order this 23" Samsung over the 24" ASUS (Newegg deal) and Viewsonics (Amazon) in the same price range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TPTTS6/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

It's tough to find reviews on most of these monitors but CNET was very positive and design-wise it's a fairly attractive monitor, which is important given the room I'm putting it in. I'm not a fan of the anti-glare coating but oh well. I wanted the Dell U2414M, but then that's $300 and after some Amazon gift cards and adding a cheap HDMI cable I paid $13 for this Samsung.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-s23a350h/4505-3174_7-34640404.html

I don't see any deals that really stand out from the pack in the 23-24" $100-$200 range, lord knows I spent enough time looking for one before settling on the S23A350H.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I have a 2005fpw or whatever from way back. How big of an improvement in, say, gaming performance would I see going to a u2412m?

EDIT: er, 2405fpw? The 24" 1920x1200 that was out around 2005.

frunksock fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 25, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

frunksock posted:

I have a 2005fpw or whatever from way back. How big of an improvement in, say, gaming performance would I see going to a u2412m?

I went from a 2005 to a 2412 and am pretty happy with it. Seems much faster and has better visibility even with the brightness turned way down.

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
Never heard of this brand of monitor before, but I really want to pick one up and the price is just too good. It's going to be dual screening my X220 laptop (beautiful 12.5" ultrabook) for some more screen space. I'm not doing serious gaming (Humble Bundle/Orange Box esque stuff), so I shouldn't need any special video card magic correct?

Also, is there any reason not to buy the cheapest DisplayPort (yes, the D++, not just the D)-->DVI cable I can get? I understand shielding is nice, but is there going to be significant quality control with a higher price?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Hanns-G monitors (and generic/low quality brands in general) tend to have rather short lifespans. Make sure you get an Active DisplayPort->DVI adapter, if you only need 1080p support then one of the cheaper single-link DVI adapters will do fine, as long as it's an active adapter.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Actually, if you're just going to dual-monitor, the X220's DisplayPort can output HDMI format, as well. That lets you use a cheapo adapter like this one. I have a 6-foot cable that's DisplayPort on one end and HDMI on the other that I use for connecting my T420 to my TV, but monoprice no longer sells that particular one. Plus, HDMI is signal-compatible with DVI, so if you want a cable like that, great.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

David Tennant posted:

I told myself months ago that if the 2412 went below $300 I'd buy it, and drat my budget. So, say hello to the newest member of the expensive large monitor club.

By the way, use coupon code 209KF?MB5ZJ728 for an extra $15 off.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I ordered mine three days ago and called customer support and they refunded me the price difference so that was cool.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
Crap. My shiny new U2711 just exhibited a nasty vertical 'line' smack through the center of the screen while I was using it for TV viewing. It disappeared after changing the channel, but this doesn't bode well for the future. (I've seen numerous reports of this around the web.) This may explain why it came in an open box.

Welp my 24' was a quirky bastard for five years and now it looks like this 27' will follow in its footsteps, if not fail outright. :smith:

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Grabbed a 2412 for $311 shipped, hope this one actually compares to my 2007WFP in picture quality.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

I told myself months ago that if the 2412 went below $300 I'd buy it, and drat my budget. So, say hello to the newest member of the expensive large monitor club.

By the way, use coupon code 209KF?MB5ZJ728 for an extra $15 off.

I told myself that too, but didn't pull the trigger on this deal and am now regretting it. I hope you enjoy it, please let us know how it is. Also, thanks for the coupon code.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 26, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphal posted:

Grabbed a 2412 for $311 shipped, hope this one actually compares to my 2007WFP in picture quality.

Yeah, it's going to be a lot better.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Holy gently caress DisplayPort + Windows 7 + dual monitors is frustrating.

If you turn off the DP monitor while having a DVI/VGA monitor attached it detects that poweroff and moves all your windows to the other screen. When it's back on, it does a pretty lovely job of restoring their positions.

Just venting. It's by design according to technet.

Parsa
Jan 12, 2005

Nupid Stewbie?
Aphal, i was worried about the same thing, I've had my 2007WFP for years with no issue. Let me know what you think when you get it. I'll post the same.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Dogen posted:

I went from a 2005 to a 2412 and am pretty happy with it. Seems much faster and has better visibility even with the brightness turned way down.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and pre-emptively blame all my BF2 and BF3 sucking on this monitor. It turns out the black friday deal is the same as the deal my company's employees normally get anyway. Too bad they don't stack.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You totally can, I'm much better at battlefield now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Walked posted:

Holy gently caress DisplayPort + Windows 7 + dual monitors is frustrating.

If you turn off the DP monitor while having a DVI/VGA monitor attached it detects that poweroff and moves all your windows to the other screen. When it's back on, it does a pretty lovely job of restoring their positions.

Just venting. It's by design according to technet.

Yeah, I just moved my room about a bit and rebuilt my whole machine into a new case. Tidied up the cables, thought I'd do away with the DVI to my U2410 and use DisplayPort instead. I knew about this problem before I did it, but I thought I'd try my luck. If it gives me a seconds' worth of trouble, you bet your rear end DVI is going straight back in..

It's not actually DisplayPort's fault, it seems, it's to do with Windows.. It'd be perfectly possible for the system to maintain the full size desktop and ignore the screen disconnect event, but it doesn't. Does on DVI though!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 27, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I just moved my room about a bit and rebuilt my whole machine into a new case. Tidied up the cables, thought I'd do away with the DVI to my U2410 and use DisplayPort instead. I know about this problem before I did it, but if this problem bugs me even for a moment, you bet your rear end DVI is going straight back in..

Actually, I put this together:

http://www.i-py.com/sleepmon/v1.1/SleepMon.exe

Now instead of pressing Winkey + L, Press Ctrl + (`/~) key above the tab.

It'll lock your computer and force the monitors to sleep. It solved my use scenario at least. Let me know if it helps.

(Youll have to manually add it to startup, and it requires .NET 3.5)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Ah, it's you, Francis S!
I just got to the bottom of that help thread, haha.

Oh dear, it's definitely giving me issues, but in the way you wouldn't imagine. When I switch inputs, nothing happens, everything looks fine (secondary monitor remains the same).

When I switch input back to DisplayPort, the screen blanks for a moment, then all the windows get shuffled to the DisplayPort monitor. Which is the opposite of what I imagined would happen.

Oh well, DVI it is..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 27, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yep, thats me. After enough times of all my windows being shifted in a frustrating manner just so I can turn my screens off, I figured I'd cobble something together. It's not super elegant or fancy, but it sure as poo poo works for me.

edit: What. That's weird for it to all automatically shift back. On my DP monitor, when I rock the source button it doesnt do anything to my windows. So long as the montior is on / connected, windows seems happy.

ZR2740W, for what its worth.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

Alereon posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. What monitor doesn't have HDCP support these days?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Should I buy a used 2709WFP (S-PVA) off craigslist for 400, or a new 2412? I'm just playing games but I have a really big desk so I have room for the 27.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

Should I buy a used 2709WFP (S-PVA) off craigslist for 400, or a new 2412? I'm just playing games but I have a really big desk so I have room for the 27.

I had the same debate between a 27 and 30. The 30 was used, but bigger. Opted for the 27 for warranty. I just like the peace of mind.

Also the resolution is the same, so the 2412 with warranty, IPS panel (granted eIPS), and same resolution would probably win out in my mind.

Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008

Walked posted:

I had the same debate between a 27 and 30. The 30 was used, but bigger. Opted for the 27 for warranty. I just like the peace of mind.

Also the resolution is the same, so the 2412 with warranty, IPS panel (granted eIPS), and same resolution would probably win out in my mind.

Personally, I wouldn't buy something like the U2711 for $800 or whatever it's priced at currently, because when you're already spending that much money, you may as well spend a bit more and go for the 30" U3011. Then you get the most resolution. I would have regret a 27" purchase to be honest, and always been wondering how much better a screen I could have gotten if I had spent just a bit more.

Below the 27" level, prices drop significantly, so between say 20" to 24" monitors, it's not that big of a deal as it is between a 27" and 30" to me.

If you ever wanted a thirty inch monitor later, it wouldn't have the same resolution as your 27 inch one, and you couldn't eyefinity or surround and have it look as good or function as well as if they were the same size/resolution. It'd be a replacement, rather than an addition. Then again, this is coming from someone whose third 30" is arriving in a few days (another U3011).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Chances of the 2412M going on sale for Monday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Munkaboo posted:

Chances of the 2412M going on sale for Monday?
50/50