Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Okay, take Russian Overkill.

Now take 10x.wad and any map pack, vanilla or otherwise.

Match made in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

LvK posted:

Match made in heaven.

I was wondering how well 10x works with it. Does the increased monster health still work?

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
The alt-fire on the MIRV launcher in Russian Overkill is just ridiculous. It takes out the Revenant tower on Holy Hell in a single shot. It would probably kill every enemy in some smaller maps.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vaos posted:

Skulltag use a gzdoom version which is from 10 years ago, which doesn't have all the features current (g)zdoom has, so it can't run all mods. There's an alpha version of Skulltag running with a more recent version, but I didn't try it.

The alpha versions of Skulltag are slightly more recent, but they tend to pick and choose only a couple features from newer versions to add to the builds.

On one hand, they might have a good reason to do it. On the other hand, this completely ruins a lot of the potential for stable multiplayer mods.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

tooooooo bad posted:

I was wondering how well 10x works with it. Does the increased monster health still work?

I can't tell because the carnage never stops.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

LvK posted:

I can't tell because the carnage never stops.

Looks like a lot of projectiles pass through monsters without hitting them which is kind of annoying. Still amazing though.

edit: So amazing

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 15, 2011

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

tooooooo bad posted:

Looks like a lot of projectiles pass through monsters without hitting them which is kind of annoying. Still amazing though.

Yeah, I noticed that, sucks. Had to start aiming at walls and stuff. Been fighting through Scythe with the combo. Even on one of the easier difficulties (easy-medium) it's a bitch to do. God I love it.

Also the grenade launcher is your best friend.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

tooooooo bad posted:

:stare: is the only thing that comes to mind with that video.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tooooooo bad posted:

Hahahahagh jesus gently caress where is the yelling coming from?!

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hahahahagh jesus gently caress where is the yelling coming from?!

quote:

EXTREMESPHERE!: A mix of powerups, this one changes you into screamy deathbringer while metal plays in background. It makes you invulnerable, quadruples the damage you deal, increases your speed, jump height and increases fire speed for some weapons/meeles and packs you up with shield/health! Why then the powerup doesn't scare away monsters? Well, to maximize it's effectiveness - if monster doesn't run away, it's way easier to kill it!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

tooooooo bad posted:

My lord. :stare:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Code Jockey posted:

My lord. :stare:

So, is all this great stuff I've been seeing the Russian Overkill mod? What kind of mod mixing is going on? I want whatever this is.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Zeether posted:

If only there was a way to combine Russian Overkill with Brutal Doom.

Try Brutal Doom Lite?

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Death Wish version 1.2 available for download.

Using this new version will not interfere with any of your game saves. The new version of the current mission will load the next time you play through. The blood save files basically make a copy of the level that's being played so loading up the new stuff won't erase your progress even through all the maps are being overwritten.

v1.2
Cutscene paths changed from C:\blood\ to C:\ in DW.ini (as most users are from GOG)
Some mission music rearranged
Enemy/respawn alterations throughout entire map set
Large reduction of Acolytes in favor of other enemy types
Some altered respawn arrangement
Miscellaneous textures aligned and altered
Many areas now favor enemy difficulty over increased numbers
"Player traps" in co-op fixed along with some Co-Op spawns

I watched a video of some guy playing through one of the last levels when he reaches what could be considered the game's pivotal event. Instead of watching what happens he sees an explosion and runs to hide behind a rock, missing the entire scene. Shameful. I made a few temporary blocking sector walls that prevent anyone else from making this mistake. I guess I can't really be too hard on the guy — the player should have a pretty solid fear of explosions at that point in the Add-On. Watching that and a few very long streams of gameplay helped me see what needed touching up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

:stare:

What was going on in the end with all those explosions?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

HardDisk posted:

:stare:

What was going on in the end with all those explosions?

I may have dropped a couple of (the aptly named) Shitstorm Devices near the end there. :haw:

Speaking of names, a lot of really fantastic weapon pick-up messages in that wad.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Goddamn, Death Wish is kicking my rear end even on Still Kicking. I haven't even finished the first level yet.

It doesn't help either that sometimes, when I try to go forward, Caleb springs forward at the speed of sound, usually off a cliff.

E: and zombies appear to do 30+ damage if they actually hit you. Was the original game this brutal?

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Goddamn, Death Wish is kicking my rear end even on Still Kicking. I haven't even finished the first level yet.

It doesn't help either that sometimes, when I try to go forward, Caleb springs forward at the speed of sound, usually off a cliff.

E: and zombies appear to do 30+ damage if they actually hit you. Was the original game this brutal?

Yes. I couldn't change the enemy damage or anything like that so it's the same as the original game. The really big difference between the difficulties comes with the 2 hitscan cultist types.

If anyone would enjoy watching someone meet death many times trying to get through the toughest difficulty in Death Wish this guy has some long streams you can check out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EDIT: nevermind

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

FuriousGrey posted:

Using this new version will not interfere with any of your game saves. The new version of the current mission will load the next time you play through. The blood save files basically make a copy of the level that's being played so loading up the new stuff won't erase your progress even through all the maps are being overwritten.

I had no idea this is how Blood handled save games. That's actually pretty neat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I'm giving up on Death Wish. It's good but way harder than I can manage right now, even on the easiest difficulty level. I don't remember having nearly this much trouble with original Blood.

Yodzilla posted:

I had no idea this is how Blood handled save games. That's actually pretty neat.

That's actually quite common - using the same format for levels and saves, that is. A level is just a save file without a player in it, and a save file is just a level with a player in it somewhere.

Freak Magnet
Jan 12, 2010

Drifting - It's not for the faint of heart.

Flying Trident posted:

:bravo2:

I've been feeling like computer games (and the Internet) have been ruined these days, like they've become shadows of their former selves and, for me, have come to represent something empty, tasteless and completely disposable. I also fear that I have become out of touch and disenfranchised with one of my favourite hobbies. After reading this, my faith was restored. The picture you paint, mirrors my experience almost flawlessly. It made me feel good.

I thank you.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Mak0rz posted:

The first shot you see there is actually the zombie on the right shooting the one on the left.

Oh yeah. My interpretation is still cooler.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry I haven't been around to do any game events. You can all probably guess what's taking up my time...

Skyrim and BF3, that is.

I'll be back for all the old school fun soon. Wish I owned blood.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Sorry I haven't been around to do any game events. You can all probably guess what's taking up my time...

Skyrim and BF3, that is.

I'll be back for all the old school fun soon. Wish I owned blood.

Six bux on gog.com!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is gog another user interface program like steam?

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Kazvall posted:

Nah. The point of gog.com is to offer a way to buy games online and download them in a form totally without DRM, i.e. you'll never be dealing with gog.com in any way once the game's installed.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ :argh:

Kazvall posted:

No you just download an installer that unpacks the game and a version of DOSbox pre-configured to run it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Good, I can't deal with another convoluted DRM/server browser.

Origin has left a slightly poor taste in my mouth. It all works great once in game, but gently caress I wish they had stuck with steam. I have 300 people I have to actually ask if they have BF3. Pain in my junk I tell you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol wow, I just encountered the point in Brutal Doom 2 that replaces Commander Keen's head with Justin Bieber's. At least I assume it was the Brutal mod that did that.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Good, I can't deal with another convoluted DRM/server browser.

Origin has left a slightly poor taste in my mouth. It all works great once in game, but gently caress I wish they had stuck with steam. I have 300 people I have to actually ask if they have BF3. Pain in my junk I tell you.

Yeah, just seconding that GOG is great. I've bought a few games off there and it's just a regular website without any bullshit involved. You sign up for a free account and attach your CC info to it if you want to buy anything, much like Amazon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unless you want to use your retail CDs, there is no reason to not buy Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Descent 1/2 and id say Unreal from GOG (last one gets always super cheap in steam often too). No DRM and you can pretty much lay any mod/source port on them, and if you somehow gently caress up, just delete the whole folder and reinstall. No DirectX, framework or other 3rd party cept for DosBox wich you can choose to not install.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

LvK posted:

Match made in heaven.

If there's anyone who hasn't done this yet, what the hell are you waiting for? It's like they were made for each other. Made it thru Doom 1 (except Thy Flesh Consumed. It's tough enough with 1x the monsters. gently caress 10x) On Doom 2, going through The Pit. Level starts, and because of the spawn effect of 10x, it rains monsters. Carnage everywhere. Especially the infighting the...alt-fire repulsion field(?) causes. The ceiling of The Pit was full of lost souls and pain elementals fighting each other.
The aftermath:

That's the belt-fed auto shotgun. Will tear thru a group of anything in seconds if you can keep it steady.
Only downsides are the aforementioned aiming problems with your missiles going thru enemies, and monster death triggers. Things like the walls lowering after the barons die in e1m8, endscene triggers in e2 and e3 m8's, walls lowering when the mancubi die in Dead Simple, etc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That Ignorant Sap posted:

You've done the impossible, Ignorant Sap: made The Pit actually fun to play!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Just played through Tricks and Traps and the final boss of Doom 2 with 10x and RO. I have seen the face of God.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Brutal Doom have some AI problems with the Wolfenstein levels in Doom 2? I noticed an excessive amount of infighting among the nazi soldiers. Like, as soon as I opened a door they'd all be shooting each other already, to the point that they almost ignored me completely. It made those two levels especially easy on Ultra Violence.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That Ignorant Sap posted:

That's the belt-fed auto shotgun. Will tear thru a group of anything in seconds if you can keep it steady.

If you disable mouse aiming in the game options menu, it removes the kick-up on all of the guns, making them even more ridiculously overpowered.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a new mod: Brutal Doom Lite. Now you can mix BD and other mods together!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sd4l5EOFNk

The Kins fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 25, 2011

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm away from my usual machine. Has anybody tried brutal doom lite with 10x and russian overkill yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Got a question for you guys: Are you guys interested in me making a post or thread about all of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament betas out there? There's been quite a few Unreal-related leaks this months, and I think it'd be fun to tell goons about all of the leaked stuff out there, including things like a 1996-era design document for Unreal 1, a recently leaked Unreal Tournament 2003 beta made in October 2001, the Unreal 1995 beta and a "new" Unreal Tournament 3 beta made in late 2004.

There's also a few Unreal 1 betas floating out there that haven't been discovered yet that were leaked by a warez group. I think it'd be neat to see if a few goons that were doing things like warez back in the 90s know about these unseen betas and help find them.

I think a thread would do better than a post here because it covers stuff that this thread doesn't, but I'm not sure how much interest an actual thread would get.

EDIT: Hell, I could probably do a good post here just on Unreal 1, and leave the Unreal Tournament stuff for another day/thread.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 25, 2011