Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

lord funk posted:

That's definitely not how it works here in the US. Just bought a 4S, extended contract, and had to pay for the phone at the store.

Also: the iPhone thread

Thanks for the thread link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Does it matter AppleCare-wise if I install an Optibay myself or have an authorized apple person do it? My understanding is that it's a gray area either way and if I need servicing that I'd need to put the superdrive back in.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

reflex posted:

I bought a 4S on a three year contract yesterday. Except the guy at the Apple Store only charged me for the case I bought with it. Am I supposed to be charged for the phone on my next phone service bill? I'm on Rogers in Canada if that matters.

Yes, thats how it works here. :canada:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

passionate dongs posted:

Does it matter AppleCare-wise if I install an Optibay myself or have an authorized apple person do it? My understanding is that it's a gray area either way and if I need servicing that I'd need to put the superdrive back in.
They won't install third-party upgrades, to my knowledge.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Take it to a Fruit Stand, nope they won't.

Take it to an AASP that isn't an Apple dealership, probably.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm getting my iMac upgraded with an SSD at an official service provider and they said the warranty is intact except for the replaced hard drive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm getting my iMac upgraded with an SSD at an official service provider and they said the warranty is intact except for the replaced hard drive.
Right. You have an authorized service provider working on it, thus not voiding the warranty. Can we not have this stupid debate again?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone with a t'bolt display notice that the left bottom corner gets very warm?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pipebomb posted:

Anyone with a t'bolt display notice that the left bottom corner gets very warm?

I think that's where some of the logic ICs live (Thunderbolt controller, NIC, USB controller, etc). Or perhaps that's near the power supply / backlight areas of the inside, you could look at Anand's teardown of the display to be sure.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Didn't see it answered explicitly, but why is a 13" macbook pro less expensive than a 13" air? (1099 vs 1249)

Is it just because the Air has better screen resolution and the SSD drive?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The SSD is expensive and the Air probably costs more to manufacture.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nwin posted:

Didn't see it answered explicitly, but why is a 13" macbook pro less expensive than a 13" air? (1099 vs 1249)

Is it just because the Air has better screen resolution and the SSD drive?

Probably because the Macbook Pro is older, the tooling they used to make it is older (older stuff is cheaper to make), and probably some economic sales reason where they just price it higher because it's cooler and will sell for more.

Also pricing is all hosed up right now, Best Buy had the 13" Air for $1099, Amazon has the 13" Pro for $1049, and other places have them for different prices.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/24/black-friday-2011-a-list-of-discounts-on-apple-products-and-more/

Depending on where you live and what the tax/shipping situation ends up like, you could save $100-$200 off retail. Or not.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 25, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the 13" Air battery life like?

Anandtech got VERY different results testing the old C2D against the new i5.

I ordered a new 13" Air and I just hope I'm not going to lose 2 full hours from the 13" Pro I have now. If it's almost as bad as the 11" Air (like that chart says), I'll probably just return it and get a loaded 11" since I like that form factor. According to that chart I'd get another hour compared to my C2D 11" Air which usually lasts about 4.5 hours.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 25, 2011

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
My i5 2011 MBA consistently lasts 7h+ with typing and browsing when I turn down the screen brightness to like 3 bars

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is the Macbook Air i5 at driving the TB display? In the Anandtech review he says that it's a little sluggish during some animations. The 11" and 13" Air should have the same performance with the display right?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What's the 13" Air battery life like?

Anandtech got VERY different results testing the old C2D against the new i5.

I ordered a new 13" Air and I just hope I'm not going to lose 2 full hours from the 13" Pro I have now. If it's almost as bad as the 11" Air (like that chart says), I'll probably just return it and get a loaded 11" since I like that form factor. According to that chart I'd get another hour compared to my C2D 11" Air which usually lasts about 4.5 hours.
When the new MBAs came out, I ended up getting an 11" one. I probably only got 2-3 hours on it when webbrowsing, using textmate, and lightly watching youtube videos (brightness cranked 3/4). I ended up returning it for the 13" due to wanting something a bit bigger for programming purposes and I noticed a difference in battery life. I probably get an hour and a half or more doing the same stuff.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I wish Apple carried something with a 16:9 aspect ratio other than the 11-inch machine. A hypothetical 13-inch MBP with 1600x900 would be amazing. I've got a 13-inch Vaio Z with that resolution right now, and the overwhelming persistent shittiness of Synaptics touchpads has badly taken its toll on me.

I miss my old MacBook's touchpad. :(

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Need help! I am looking to get a Macbook so I could finally run Ableton (currently using a four year old Dell Inspiron). I recently found out that Apple is going to release a new line of Macbooks sometime in March (rumored). What's the resell value on these products? Is it harder so sell an air than a pro? Ideally i'd like a 15' Pro, but I heard that the new line will be redesigned to be thinner among other things. My laptop now is barely working, so I was thinking I grab a 13' Pro and then sell it a bit before the new line comes out (maybe february?) to get the thinner 15'. Feasible?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Is it possible to get education discount on top of the Black friday sale?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Mongolian Squid posted:

Is it possible to get education discount on top of the Black friday sale?

No it is not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My local Best Buy had almost no Macbook Pros and Airs but they had a million iPads. What's up wit that?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just saw on Amazon that the Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse, and wireless keyboard are $58 right now, I'm guessing their other $69 peripherals (uh, wired keyboards?) have gone down too.

Positive Housemouse posted:

Need help! I am looking to get a Macbook so I could finally run Ableton (currently using a four year old Dell Inspiron). I recently found out that Apple is going to release a new line of Macbooks sometime in March (rumored). What's the resell value on these products? Is it harder so sell an air than a pro? Ideally i'd like a 15' Pro, but I heard that the new line will be redesigned to be thinner among other things. My laptop now is barely working, so I was thinking I grab a 13' Pro and then sell it a bit before the new line comes out (maybe february?) to get the thinner 15'. Feasible?
Resale is generally pretty good, particularly if you're going to sell that quickly, go for it. I'd go for the 13 just cause, eh I figure if you're only keeping it as a stopgap you might as well save the money (and take advantage of deals there are right now I guess).

Bob Morales posted:

My local Best Buy had almost no Macbook Pros and Airs but they had a million iPads. What's up wit that?
Bigger better deals on those and probably less stock than the iPads to begin with?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GOON FINANCIAL DECISIONS.JPEG

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is that a 15 inch and an air? I would understand it better if it was a 17 inch and an air. Also, does anyone know how/if apple checks education discounts online? I'm registered at uni but its a kind of registration where i don't have a card or anything just a paper that said i registered etc etc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It looks like both boxes say "Air". So a 13" and 11" Air? :psyboom:

Maybe you should buy a Mac Pro for your gaming desktop.

htabz
Jan 15, 2004
Has anyone had issues with SSD speeds while on windows? I popped in a new Vertex 3 into my Macbook pro (early 2011) and get great speeds while on OSX, but about half the speeds and a 5x boot time while on a fresh install of windows 7.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Flyndre posted:

My i5 2011 MBA consistently lasts 7h+ with typing and browsing when I turn down the screen brightness to like 3 bars

2010 MBP 15", i7, I get 6+ hours just with Skim and Fraise open, 2-3 bars of brightness, no network activity. Obviously an extreme use-case (studying in library, trying to stay focused with no distractions), but you can make your battery stretch if you really have too.

htabz: I remember reading somewhere that Windows (through Boot Camp) gets the SATA controller in legacy IDE mode, not AHCI. That probably doesn't help things.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

canada jezus posted:

Also, does anyone know how/if apple checks education discounts online? I'm registered at uni but its a kind of registration where i don't have a card or anything just a paper that said i registered etc etc.

As long as you're registered for university, you're good. Apple Stores will even take an acceptance letter and give you the discount.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

htabz posted:

Has anyone had issues with SSD speeds while on windows? I popped in a new Vertex 3 into my Macbook pro (early 2011) and get great speeds while on OSX, but about half the speeds and a 5x boot time while on a fresh install of windows 7.
Maybe the Boot Camp partition is unaligned.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

chimz posted:

As long as you're registered for university, you're good. Apple Stores will even take an acceptance letter and give you the discount.

Oh so i send them like a fax or something? I can't imagine they'd have to do that for everyone who wants the discount, seems like so much work.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

canada jezus posted:

Oh so i send them like a fax or something? I can't imagine they'd have to do that for everyone who wants the discount, seems like so much work.

No, you don't have to do anything for the online education store. They don't seem to check. Presumably if you started immediately selling the products you bought they'd track you down.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
I have a 15" 2011 MBP what's a good price on 8gb memory upgrade?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ReidStylez posted:

I have a 15" 2011 MBP what's a good price on 8gb memory upgrade?

You should be able to get 2x4GB 1333 memory for ~ $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

OWC and Crucial will sell you the kit for a little more:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1333DDR3S08S/

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8C4DD5E1A5CA7304

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Will this work in my 2011 15"?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mhz-PC3-10666-204-pin-CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9/dp/B002YUF8ZG/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

I've found that the crucial.com website has a really good tool for helping you find memory, and it's super cheap. At the very least, it will tell you definitely what type of memory you need.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

hunter x az posted:

I've found that the crucial.com website has a really good tool for helping you find memory, and it's super cheap. At the very least, it will tell you definitely what type of memory you need.

So I put that model # in Amazon and it came up with a different model #.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-204-pin-SODIMM-PC3-10600-CT2KIT51264BC1339/dp/B003DZJQQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'd like to buy from Amazon 2 day shipping for free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pretty much any DDR3, PC 10600 memory will work.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Pretty much any DDR3, PC 10600 memory will work.

Thanks, I'm assuming Amazon would be simple to return them if they don't work properly.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

ReidStylez posted:

Thanks, I'm assuming Amazon would be simple to return them if they don't work properly.

They are, I've gone through the process w/ them with memory for my netbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

hunter x az posted:

They are, I've gone through the process w/ them with memory for my netbook.

Cool, well I ordered the set I linked. Someone said they had a 2011 15" MBP and it worked on theirs.