Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Been playing the hell out of Skyrim. I haven't 100%ed Binding of Isaac yet, and I'll be playing it for some time yet, but I've beaten Satan with Blue Baby, so I think I can call it Beaten, at least.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Batman: Arkham City, Saints Row The Third, Assassin's Creed: Revelations...all on the 360...

Somebody help me :smith:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Just beat Assassin's Creed (picked it up during a sale), so time to move on to something new. I installed X3: Terran Conflict and HoMMV to play more long-term, and have Bioshock and Bastion for short-term gaming. Whew.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

abiogenesis posted:

Not strictly Steam related, but I just bought a Assassin's Creed / Assassin's Creed II combo pack at Target for $10.

Games bought in the past 2 months: approx 45
Games beaten in the past 2 months: 0 :(

Stop buying games?

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Opus125 posted:

Stop buying games?

:frogout:

Man, I finally got back to my gaming PC after... a VERY long time away from it, and I have so much poo poo to catch up on. All I've been doing so far is playing SR:TT and Binding of Isaac, though. I keep telling myself I'm going to quit after every BoI death and then just keep playing it.

There have been way too many good bundles lately, my backlog is crazy bloated now, not to mention still having to throw all the new bounty on my backloggery. I'm going to try and hold out until the Christmas sale now, though.

I did finish off Sequence (and got all the achievements), I honestly enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a complete sucker for any kind of rhythm game which may color my opinion, of course.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sporkles posted:

:frogout:

Man, I finally got back to my gaming PC after... a VERY long time away from it, and I have so much poo poo to catch up on. All I've been doing so far is playing SR:TT and Binding of Isaac, though. I keep telling myself I'm going to quit after every BoI death and then just keep playing it.

There have been way too many good bundles lately, my backlog is crazy bloated now, not to mention still having to throw all the new bounty on my backloggery. I'm going to try and hold out until the Christmas sale now, though.

I did finish off Sequence (and got all the achievements), I honestly enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a complete sucker for any kind of rhythm game which may color my opinion, of course.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, except that I got into PC gaming a year and a half ago and, despite falling for a hundred or so Steam deals, have pretty much been playing Starcraft II and League of Legends that whole time. I've calculated that it would take me six or seven years to actually finish all the games I currently own. That makes it easier to resist many tempting deals Steam can throw my way. See an interesting game you gotta have? Add it to your wishlist and buy it when you run out of games to play. Otherwise I think a lot of people risk never actually completing their backlogs due to more awesome games always getting released.

Remember, you can go broke saving money on that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Opus125 posted:

Remember, you can go broke saving money on that.
If you wait until you'll actually play it, you may just end up saving MORE, because of price drops. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

After a couple of great backlog clearing months I had uni exams which basically stopped any progress. I'm 30 hours in to DA:O and starting to get a little bored.

Further than I got in DAO, at least. If that's a good thing.

I finished Hero Core and Sacred (and punted Sacred Underworld) and am now playing The Witcher. It's good fun, although there are a few eyebrow-raising bugs.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've been spending the past few days getting my rear end kicked by Fate of the World. It's definitely the sort of game you have to enjoy failure to enjoy; it's a big sandbox made of broken glass and land mines and it sets you to clearing it in various ways. I've been trying to beat the Fuel Crisis mission (go 100 years with 3 degrees warming or less, leading you through peak coal, oil, gas, and uranium, without collapsing civilization) and it's gone about as well as you'd expect if you put a random goon in charge of doing that.

Other than that, haven't had a lot of time to work on games that are beatable simply with persistence. Maybe I should break out some graphic adventures.

EDIT: Or I could just go 100% NightSky, which I just finished doing. Pretty amazing little physics platformer. While I got $10 worth of play out of it, I can see why most people wouldn't, though.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 20, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Holy poo poo.

When did they put an "Unplayed" tag into Backloggery? :gonk:

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Finished Recettear--well, finished in the sense that I paid off the debt and saw the end credits. I liked operating the shop more than the dungeon diving aspect and not being an OCD completionist had no desire to grind through a 99-floor megadungeon.
A quality game. I came for the shop management and stayed for the bubbly, upbeat atmosphere. It's the first JRPG I've enjoyed since Final Fantasy X.

I also finished some indie games while taking taking a break from Recettear:

I got And Yet It Moves in the same bundle as Recettear a year ago, decided it wasn't for me after looking at its store page and filed it away to my 'won't play' library category to be forgotten. I recently decided to give it a chance on a whim and ended finishing it the same evening. I usually don't like puzzle games that are not Tetris but AYIM is pretty swell--it helps that it didn't overstay its welcome at just two hours.

Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please: point & click adventure games made by two Brits who *really* love the old Lucasarts games. Distinguishing features? Well, they poke fun at adventure game mechanics and they put a lot effort in the writing--using any inventory item on anyone or anything usually results in a unique response.
I didn't care much for these two. BTDT was only just able to keep my interest and I found TGP actively irritating with its random zany geek humour (Hitler and dinosaurs! It's funny because they don't go together!) and had to force myself to finish it. I got these from a code a generous goon gave away so whatever.

Next: Perennial goon favourite Alpha Protocall.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Morter posted:

When did they put an "Unplayed" tag into Backloggery? :gonk:

Apparently, on November 17th.

Half my Unfinished games are Unplayed. I'm not sure if that's :c00l: or :gonk:.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, about 60% of my unbeaten are unplayed. Another 20% or so I recognize as having loaded them like once or twice total. At least I'm making some progress.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
For fun I went through and played Portal 1 and 2 again and tried getting any achievements I missed. The transmission radio achievement was fun to do in Portal 1. It basically was another puzzle to solve in each level, so it at least mixed up the gameplay for a game I've played dozens of times already. Also, if there are still people out there doubting that Portal 2 can't be as good or better than Portal 1, just play it already.

And I also beat a retro style freeware game called Hero Core, and it reminded me of VVVVVV in a way because of that. It was a good time,definitely recommend it. http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

jvempire posted:

And I also beat a retro style freeware game called Hero Core, and it reminded me of VVVVVV in a way because of that. It was a good time,definitely recommend it.

Woo, Remar games. I think he's probably best known for his action-platformer Iji, which is probably his most "serious" work and is really, really good. (Hero Core is itself a sequel, to Hero, which can basically be safely skipped.)

On the less serious side, he also did Garden Gnome Carnage, about a gnome bungee-corded to a remote-control skyscraper attempting to defeat the forces of Christmas. It is every inch as :psyduck: as it sounds.

And then he recycled some of the characters from that for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJYFbJDkqs

I have no words for that one. But his track record is good so I'll probably at least check it out.

Speaking of backlogs, though, Bejeweled 3. :negative: See everyone in a few weeks.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I powered through both Saints Row 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 in one weekend.
I would say that both games were excellent, some parts of both dragged on, particularly the last parts in both before the final missions.

I'm not sure what I should start next. Probably Arkham Asylum.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't actually use Steam at the moment because my wife has appropriated it to play Morrowind in the interests of deciding whether we should buy her a copy next time it goes on sale (verdict: very yes). So I've actually being PSPing a lot.

I just polished off Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (the upgraded PSP port of FF Tactics)...kind of. See, the PSP port is rife with bugs and slowdown such that it's not actually any fun to play. So what I actually finished is FFT Complete - a fan-patch for the original PSX version that backports some of the PSP changes, most notably the completely retranslated game script, so that the WotL enhancements can be enjoyed with the PSP versions crippling technical issues.

I have to say the plot makes a lot more sense now.

Next up is whatever looks interesting on my PSP, so probably FF Tactics Advance or God Eater Burst.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Woo, Remar games. I think he's probably best known for his action-platformer Iji, which is probably his most "serious" work and is really, really good. (Hero Core is itself a sequel, to Hero, which can basically be safely skipped.)

I really cannot recommend Iji highly enough; it's the only game on my backloggery listed as Mastered, largely because it's the only one I've played so thoroughly as to completely dominate it. (I've probably played System Shock 2 more times, but I've never, say, done SS2 no-kills or no-damage-taken, both of which I've done in Iji.) It's long enough to satisfy, short enough not to overstay its welcome, has loads of replay value (branching story, difficulty levels, and unlockables), and is just drat fun to play.

Cave Story gets all the press (and the Steam release), but Iji is the better game. :colbert:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finished And Yet It Moves, since it was relatively short and it's netbook-playable while my wife Skyrims. Not a bad game, though the later levels were a lot better than the previous ones.

My Backloggery fortune cookie is now telling me to play more Everyday Genius. I guess technically I can work on "beating" it by finishing all of the Challenge puzzles. I guess. Is there even a point where you CAN flag Everyday Genius as beaten?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tortolia posted:

My Backloggery fortune cookie is now telling me to play more Everyday Genius. I guess technically I can work on "beating" it by finishing all of the Challenge puzzles. I guess. Is there even a point where you CAN flag Everyday Genius as beaten?

Beating all the Challenge Puzzles is the obvious goal for that - it's what controls progression, and it's what, when you do them all, ends progression, changes the interface, and puts you in an obvious postgame (everything looks like a revisited level, nothing looks like the pre-challenge-mode puzzles).

Bejeweled 3 has no such mechanic, really; the closest thing to Beaten is that Quest mode can run out of unique challenges, but that so flagrantly isn't the point that it seems out of band. I wound up marking it null, though I suppose "all bronze badges" or "one gold/plat badge" might count.

(Also, it is incredibly good, holy crap. Most of the modes involve needing to clear gems in specific locations, which drastically changes strategy compared to its predecessors.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
A new challenger approaches! The Steam Sale is going to kill me and my wallet :smith:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
You haven't truly beat Isaac unless you beat the final final boss once.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Time for me to join in the fun. I have a real weakness for sales. After entering all my games into Backloggery, I currently own 333 uncompleted games, most of them on Steam and GoG :gonk:.

I also made the switch from consoles to the PC some time in the late 90s, and I missed almost all the great console releases from the late 90s - early 00s. That covers most of the N64 and PSX catalog. I've gone back and beaten some of the biggest hits from that period like Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time, but I'm looking forward to going back and seeing what I missed. Ancient graphics and gameplay don't seem to bother me at all, so this should be fun.

For now, I'm playing portables while home for Thanksgiving, and I'll be playing a lot of Skyrim when I get home. Right now, it's Final Fantasy 2 from the Dawn of Souls collection. I'm not allergic to a little grinding, and so far, I'm enjoying it.

Come be my Backloggery friend! :reject:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Finally picked up all the FO:NV DLC since it's 75% off right now - I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
My backlog isn't getting any shorter, but at least I'm mostly playing the games I'm buying now. I guess that's an improvement over buying more games than I can play.

I completely forgot about American Thanksgiving though, and the sale that would come along with it.

I gave in to temptation and bought Skyrim on release so I'm doing my best to avoid buying anything that isn't discounted DLC for games I really like.
Almost all of my gaming time is consumed by shouting at mudcrabs so anything I do end up buying is just adding to my backlog (which seems dumb to do in the month leading up to the Steam Christmas Sale).

I just need to keep telling myself that I already spent $60+ on games this month and shouldn't spend more money on games I won't even play until 2012.
Slowly, but surely, I am making progress.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Holy poo poo guys... I just took a look at the Autumn Sale and I have no idea how I am going to keep myself from spending a LOT of money. I didn't play LA Noir because I was waiting for the PC version, and now that it's 50% off? No contest, it will be mine. And maybe Rift, Portal 2, and...

This definitely IS an addiction.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Oh god damnit. I had just gotten through 6 small games in my backlog, then I remember that I donated to the Voxatron bundle when it came out. Then my friend gifted me Cave Story+. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

treiz01 posted:

Holy poo poo guys... I just took a look at the Autumn Sale and I have no idea how I am going to keep myself from spending a LOT of money. I didn't play LA Noir because I was waiting for the PC version, and now that it's 50% off? No contest, it will be mine. And maybe Rift, Portal 2, and...

Alternately you could get FO:NV with all the works at 75% off and then get LA Noire for 75% off itself when you finally run out of Fallout oh god why am I encouraging you I am a terrible person

In unrelated news I now own all of the New Vegas DLC. :toot::suicide:

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I finally got all the achievements in Binding of Isaac, burning myself out on it in the process, and slapped it in the completed pile. It's a definite recommend, especially while it's on sale. I didn't really think too much of it when I first saw it, kinda bought it on a whim as we often do, and it's a massive amount of fun for the small amount it costs.

I'm going back to my original plan of just starting at the top of my steam list and working my way downwards - I was sick of seeing the Bit Trip games eternally at the top, mocking me. I finished B.T Beat tonight for the first time (I like the game in theory but playing through an entire 12 minute level to get to a round of pong is terrible), and made a valiant attempt at B.T Runner. Unfortunately that game is like.. a black hole miasma of fun for me. It had some moments, but on the whole it is my anti-fun. I'm three levels from the end and I'll be damned if I give up now, but good lord does it make me want to pull my hair out.

I also played through Beep, which was a mostly fun physics platformer with only one lovely set of ice-themed levels. It took me about 3-4 hours to play through, not bad for two bucks.

Next up is finishing Blocks that Matter, which I'm looking forward to.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cubemario posted:

You haven't truly beat Isaac unless you beat the final final boss once.

Screw that, I'll be going for Golden God for completion. Far too good a game not to 100% it.

Also I know it isn't in the spirit of the thread but VVVVVV is 99p. That is not very many pennies and it's a great game that doesn't take too long to get through a la Portal 1.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
You have the right idea, I almost have all the achievements, but it's taken over 60 hours :toot:

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

My brother gifted me Serious Sam BFE for my birthday! And then 30 minutes in I am motion sick as hell. :( Hopefully that will work itself out for my next try.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Screw that, I'll be going for Golden God for completion. Far too good a game not to 100% it.

Arguing over semantics, but once you've hit that stage, isn't it "mastered"?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr Right posted:

True, I forgot about Mastered.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

VVVVVV owns. :)

My damage this sale is
0 things bought for myself
8 things I got gifted.

I should be happy, but my backlog. :negative:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mr Right posted:

Mastered is for special runs, not completion. So like, speed runs or beating the game without powerups or whatever.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Sporkles posted:

B.T Runner. Unfortunately that game is like.. a black hole miasma of fun for me. It had some moments, but on the whole it is my anti-fun. I'm three levels from the end and I'll be damned if I give up now, but good lord does it make me want to pull my hair out.

Yeah, I loved B.T Runner, but by the time I got to the last 2-3 levels in each world, the fun-to-frustration ratio started to drop. The frustration never became overwhelming, because every time I died, it was because I made an obvious mistake and not because I was fighting the controls.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Wezlar posted:

Mastered is for special runs, not completion. So like, speed runs or beating the game without powerups or whatever.

Well I'd class beating all the areas without taking damage as a mastered game but again, it's just differing opinions.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mr Right posted:

Well I'd class beating all the areas without taking damage as a mastered game but again, it's just differing opinions.

Fair enough! I just looked at what Golden God was, I didn't know what 100%ing the game entailed.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've met my goal for "beating" Fate of the World.

The sandboxier modes are now open to me, but this one is the "base game", and the one that cuts the least middle-term slack. And I got all the bonus objectives, so there's no "drop pollution via covert sterilization programs" or anything going on.

I have taken two casualties from the Steam Sale so far: Fallout: New Vegas (to finish off my Fallout series collection) and Dungeons of Dredmor.

I need to start playing something easier, but all my now-playing lists are still humongous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I had been doing good on the Steam sale so far, the only thing I'd gotten was the last bit of DLC for Fallout:NV that I didn't have (Gun Runners, and Courier's Stash, less than $2 for both). But then Dead Island was on sale today, and I noticed I had added it to my wishlist at some point. So I broke down and got it. That leaves Rage and that Strong Bad game on my Steam wishlist, so I should be good until either of those goes on sale.

I haven't bought any games recently otherwise (other than Skyrim), so my backlog hasn't been growing really. A game or two on my GOG wishlist went on sale, but I managed to hold back and convince myself I didn't really want the game right now.

Otherwise, Skyrim has been eating up my gaming time, and I'm not even that far into the main quest (I have done the College of Winterhold mage questline though) so I'll playing that for a while longer yet. Once I'm done, I think I'll tackle a game or two from GOG.