Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure it's been stated that without the final prototyping, Skaia's battlefield won't 'ripen' or 'mature' or whatever the cool kids call it these days. In a normal session there's be heart of the battlefield in which to raise the Genesis Frog, and in Kids' session there would be no Tumor.

Also Bec needed to prototype to take down that meteor, so it sort of really needed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
How can one planet possible create multiple new universes, when the host planet has to be destroyed as a natural part of the game. If multiple kids from earth started playing successful games alongside each other then earth would be hit by multiple reckonings, and afterwards there's be multiple sets of exiles wandering around getting in eachothers way. Also it would be super easy for people to get into parallel games just by flying through skaian portals and popping up in eachothers incipisphere's.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Well see it didn't happen on earth because only the kids were successful. It sounds like everyone else hosed up immediately. I was pretty sure it's been implied since the beginning multiple sessions were taking place on earth, the rest just didn't get anywhere.

e: VVVVV
There's not really even been any conclusive evidence that the kids were the only ones to get anywhere, we just didn't hear from any other groups. We've only been following this group, and no one else was involved so... believe what you want! Maybe other sessions were successful and made happy new universes to live in and everything was great. But we aren't following them so we'll never know (~fanfiction~)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 25, 2011

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, Sburb seemed like a pretty hotly anticipated title from Act 1, it'd be a real stretch to assume no one else on Earth played it (I also think it would be a stretch to assume only our kids made it into the Medium but that's just me) (my fanfictions)

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
On the other hand, only the trolls we know and love played sgrub, and only the ancestor-kids are going to play sburb on this Earth. It seems that the B1 universe game was unusual because it was played by more people. It could be that whoever made the game couldn't find another way to get it exclusively to our heroes or because Hussie hadn't figured out the plot quite this far along at the time.

I can only assume that in every universe someone needs to make the game based on the symbols in the ancient ruins that come from the incipisphere. I assume the batter-witch made the game for the kids.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I always interpreted SBURB to be just a game to every other person who played it aside from the four kids. So it was no different to them that it booted up on their computers, but when it activated on the kid's computers they started the process that we've been following.

But I don't remember way back when Rose was making a gamefaqs faq about the game if there was any other things. It's been a while since I read that and I rushed through much of the storyline.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Talorat posted:

We've never seen what happens when someone fails to pre-entry prototype however, so for all we know its actually the key to not creating an unwinnable session.
I seem to remember Rose telling John that in a normal, non-Tumor session the pre-entry prototypings are needed to unlock Skaia's creative potential so you can turn Bilious Slick into a universe. I'll try and find the relevant page once I'm on my PC rather than my phone.

Granted it's not exactly a long shot to guess that everything Rose told John about prototyping she learned from Doc Scratch (so he could tell her about the Tumor), but while Scratch obviously misdirected about the Tumor, he has no reason to do so regarding what would happen in a normal session.

e: Here we go.

TT: Failing to prototype the kernel is the absolute worst thing that you could possibly do.
TT: Like, ever.
EB: oh no!
TT: We would come into possession of all the disasters.
TT: Exhaustive possession. Monopolization, in fact.
EB: why is it so bad?
TT: Because the battlefield will not be able to heal, and then transform.
TT: It will not reach the stage which allows it to become ready to receive our universe.
EB: but...
EB: i thought you said it wasn't going to be able to make a universe anyway?
EB: wasn't it barren or something?
TT: Yes.
EB: so why is it important?
TT: Because if it does not reach this stage, we will not be able to recover the treasure hidden in its core.

quote:

I'm still of the opinion that even if Lord English were to be extricated like the evil growth he is from the whole Sburb process, the 'need' for the game to destroy the homeworld and species of each session's champions makes it a sort of antagonist, maybe even evil depending on what manner of intelligence is behind the whole thing.
Well, you have to look at one of the inspirations for Homestuck: Earthbound. The overarching theme of its sequel, Mother 3, was basically (should I spoiler this?) "your world is doomed, but if you play your cards right you'll be able to make it anew, better than it was before, and you'll be able to bring your friends with you." That seems to be what Skaia's about. My guess is that the story will end with the Kids (and remianing Trolls) creating and entering UU's universe, and using godtier powers to build a new Earth/Alternia (which might be where UU lives, but it might not).

Given that the Act 7 symbol here is white, and the colours seem to be associated with the universes where the act takes place, I'd guess that End of Act 6/Start of Act 7 is entering the new universe, and that the Act 7 epilogue will be rebuilding Earth.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 25, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh ok that log answers my question perfectly. Had completely forgotten about it, really.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't like that nanna has her own dang book she signed i don't like that at all. Because if they're not preparing the gods arrival that means the gods already arrived. and did john from universe B1 land in universe B2, grow up to do vaudeville and then die a just death? To get stuffed? or are they around and hiding and ignoring their dopplegangers while slipping relics in, like making the SB&HJ movie?

I was a lot more mentally prepared for what comes next before that book.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That probably is not what it means.

What some of us think it probably means (check the last couple pages for more talk on the subject) is that it's more evidence in favour of the idea that the kids/guardians arrived on literally the same meteors from the B1 veil as before, carrying the same items, just at different times and in different circumstances because it's a different timeline. So if that's true, then this is not B1 John; it's B2 John, who arrived with the book Nannasprite signed in the B1 session because that's what was with him on the meteor. This time he grew old with the book on Earth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

That probably is not what it means.

What some of us think it probably means (check the last couple pages for more talk on the subject) is that it's more evidence in favour of the idea that the kids/guardians arrived on literally the same meteors from the B1 veil as before, carrying the same items, just at different times and in different circumstances because it's a different timeline. So if that's true, then this is not B1 John; it's B2 John, who arrived with the book Nannasprite signed in the B1 session because that's what was with him on the meteor. This time he grew old with the book on Earth.

Exactly this.

I was about to say 'it isn't that hard', but... okay, in retrospect this is pretty confusing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

ok if that's the case then why did A2 karkat have to do any ectobiology at all given that A1 sufferer should have handled it and it would have been all tied up, A1's grubs go through the portals to both seed A1 and A2 with literally the same trolls?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Because the whole problem of the A1 trolls was, explicitly, that they weren't made ectobiologically during their session. A possible explanation is that they were in fact the same grubs Karkat made during the A2 session, sent back to both A1 and A2.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I went back two pages to read very confusing posts about A1 not having spawned in that universe and having the glitch and the misfortune. I forgot this and was thinking of karkat's virus that blew up his computer and gave him all the misfortune. I'm really confused by this reshuffling of what I assumed I knew but I guess it makes more sense now

except how you're going to have a sub universe spawn the original universe I get B1->B2 but A1(can't exist yet)->A2(double can't exist yet) seems like way more than a double mobius reach-around

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Krinkle posted:

ok if that's the case then why did A2 karkat have to do any ectobiology at all given that A1 sufferer should have handled it and it would have been all tied up, A1's grubs go through the portals to both seed A1 and A2 with literally the same trolls?
For some reason (if this theory is correct, which I'd say it probably is) in the A universes the ectobiology was handled in the A2 session, but in the B universes it was handled in the B1 session, with A1 and B2 not doing any ectobiology.

How and why the change-up between 1 and 2 works in-story is another question. Out of story, the reasons would be a) John and Karkat are the primary protagonists so they get to do the ectobiology and b) Hussie likes to mix things up.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 25, 2011

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Now this may sound crazy, but there is the distinct possibility that all the A1 trolls were born through standard means of reproduction.

Nutty, I know.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Unlikely.

quote:

As was true of the bellicose world we know, there came to be twelve heroes on this peaceful planet. These heroes too had twelve ancestors whose fortunes were entwined with theirs. These twenty-four figures of legend were not of this world but sent from the sky, delivered from a reality not yet conceived.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Delivered from a reality not yet conceived.

Oh.

I guess this is where the whole bifurcating meteor idea came from in the first place.

Evidence just keeps on racking up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Krinkle posted:

except how you're going to have a sub universe spawn the original universe I get B1->B2 but A1(can't exist yet)->A2(double can't exist yet) seems like way more than a double mobius reach-around

You're just not thinking forth dimensionally! If the kids meteors from the B1 session can reach the B2 session, and the rabbit toy that Jake makes in B2 can reach B1, I see no reason that the Trolls in A2 cannot spawn the trolls in A1. It's already been stated a few times that other universes' timelines exist independently of each other, like with the Trolls contacting the kids at any time they want to, and the kids being able to contact the Trolls besides the fact that when the kids are alive their universe is already billions of years old and its still only like a month old when the Trolls are around. With all the time travel and such going on, a cause can also easily follow an effect

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

MSPaint Adventures 2012 - You suddenly understand jack poo poo.

We really need some updates, I was pretty sure I understood everything most of the story before these last few pages. Now everything's all wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, multiple universey and I don't know what the gently caress.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
There is nothing in the last few pages that wasn't said thirty pages ago. All the evidence was here by the Act 6 page, and it is significantly easier to understand than some of the bigger twists. The comets were copied and rerouted to different times so that the players and their ancestors lived mirrored and different lives.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Basically, look at it this way:
All the stuff that was in the X1 session appeared again in the X2 session. You can think of it as the universe living out its timeline again from the start but with a few differences. The contents of the universe during the reset don't actually matter (so the fact that the kids weren't in the session when it was reset doesn't imply that a different version of them won't be there after the scratch.) I'm clarifying this as it was a point of contention earlier.

The one main difference is where/when the meteors landed. It is a fact that in the post and pre-scratch sessions they came from Skaia. The fact that they were produced in only one session is irrelevant since they arrive in both iterations from the same source. The difference in where and when they landed is what results in the guardians switching places with the players. The other (potential) difference is that this shift leads to the creation of a Doc Scratch in the post-scratch session that shapes the growth of the universe and heralds the summoning of Lord English.

Sorry if I'm doing a bad job explaining it. In essence, in both sessions there are meteors coming from Skaia and they come from the same place in both cases. The X1 and X2 sessions are both different sessions (as events play out differently) but they are also the same session (as they take place in the same universe - in fact, they ARE the same universe.) It isn't exactly that the meteors are bifurcating, since the sessions are the same. They're just playing out differently since they land differently in the new iteration.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

There is nothing in the last few pages that wasn't said thirty pages ago. All the evidence was here by the Act 6 page, and it is significantly easier to understand than some of the bigger twists. The comets were copied and rerouted to different times so that the players and their ancestors lived mirrored and different lives.

Yeah, but for some reason people still dont get it and I cant understand why they dont.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it helps to imagine the universe like data in a computer. All the information of events in the entire universe is stored and when it's reset all that information still exists. The meteor order just gets shuffled around. That's why the meteors only have one origin - they're coming from outside the universe.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

On a completely different subject - I'm ordering myself a Time godhood as a christmas present, and I'm wondering what size to get. My medium Breath godhood was enormous but I don't know how big the smalls are in relation to the mediums. Does anyone here have a small?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Okay, I think I figured out a good way to explain it.

You know how when Dave was going through Terezi's God Tier scheme, he made a choice and generated an offshoot universe based on that choice? When that choice happened, Beta Dave was spawned with an entire Beta Session with an attached Beta Universe. These just started existing, whole and contained, somewhere in Paradox Space, but still linked to the Alpha session at a point in time, when Dave made the choice.

These two universes were different and distinct, but they were in large part identical. And countless similar universes were splitting off all the time, but our attention was drawn to only a few, those that specifically impacted the universe involving the story we were being told.

But we have found out, that the universe we were following wasn't the final universe of interest. The scratch spawned a "new" universe, whole and contained, but still linked to the "old" version. And it's the same universe, just with multiple versions of it.

So when babies on meteors are sent into "that universe", they get filtered through the same universe filtering method, and they're sent to all of the possible iterations of that universe. We're just seeing the important ones, the ones which Paradox Space/Lord English don't quash and on which the narrative focuses.

Or, put another way: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
OK the ads on this site are getting really meta now.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2011

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

When Scholastic takes out an ad for Detective Pony, featuring the Detective Pony screenshot of Homestuck, then we'll know that the singularity will have come.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Time travel! Gunplay! ...third thing!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
neigh.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I really do love the community

http://tindeck.com/listen/sftd

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I miss those ads for that book that one guy was selling. What was it called?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I miss those ads for that book that one guy was selling. What was it called?

Veins. I think that it was written by M R CRACKER, as well.

"Become a raper!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
...Well, this is new. How could his dreamself die before the game even starts?

Suppose we'll find out later. Probably something Lord English related.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Maybe that's what happened to Aradia?

Are we going to see GHOSTJAKE???

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cleretic posted:

...Well, this is new. How could his dreamself die before the game even starts?

Suppose we'll find out later. Probably something Lord English related.

I think it might be a hint of a callback.

Maybe his body will be put in the core of the planet, not unlike Aradia's was.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 26, 2011

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Perhaps he was assassinated in his sleep by some agents of Derse? Jack Noir ruining stuff for us once again?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Well okay, hes quite obviously the Page of Hope.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Hmm, I wonder how his dreamself died? There's not a drop of blood on his body. That's very curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I wonder whether dream selves can become ill.
An illness that only affects dream selves would be interesting, but it would probably be completely irrelevant to everything else.