Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

I think my buddy showed me this- it's a Zero->Vergil DHC setup which does nutso damage for 2 meters, so that could be useful for your team if you play it in that order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQp307jv7Lo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you doing it fast enough? If you're not hearing "Fo-Foot Dive!", you're doing it too slowly.

I can not literally press the buttons any faster

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

McCloud posted:

Guys, I was hoping you could help my scrub rear end out. I've been practicing Dooms new BnB, but for some reason the second footdive sometimes misses. I've got everything else down I think, if I connect with fH S, but usually the forward H pushes the guy too far away to be hit by the S footdive.

So what am I doing wrong?

Make sure Doom is right above their head before you do the first foot dive.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone use a Hitbox by chance? Trying to decide between that and getting a stick.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

waspinator posted:

Anyone use a Hitbox by chance? Trying to decide between that and getting a stick.

I'd say just get a stick because it is generally the standard people use. If ya go to a tournament and your TE goes out on you there is no worry cause there are 100 more all around you and people are generally nice enough to let you borrow their stick for a game.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
My homemade stick seems to be bouncing on the up switch so I'm winding up with hilarious 1-foot jumps with Rocket when he suddenly kicks his booster on for a second. I like the guy but I'll need to finish work on this POS box before I can seriously play him, it seems, or just use the drat modded SE stick.

That said as much of an impossible pain in the rear end it is to get Wright up to Turnabout mode, people cannot seem to handle his broken as gently caress assist. X-factor II it does good chip if they're trying to cross you up and, of course, if Nick's connected Objection there's nothing they can do to punish. If they don't come over and pulverize Wright first thing and/or avoid the Objection then it's abuse, abuse, abuse all day. I'm learning some (not) neat tricks like 'fire the rocket at the guy after the wall bounce' and 'enemy is tossing out a super? Call Nick anyway!' and 'dying in twenty seconds to crossups is fun too!!'

e: This level of assist abuse makes me miss Captain Commando. Blasting the gently caress out of everyone anywhere halfway past the middle owned so much.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 25, 2011

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

That aside, I'm really liking my Zero/Vergil/Strider team. Anyone wanna comment on why this is a bad team in the long run?

People will know you buy katanas on ebay, other than that you got a solid team

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone up for some casuals on the PSN? My ID is dorkasaurus_rex

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

nftyw posted:

That said as much of an impossible pain in the rear end it is to get Wright up to Turnabout mode,

You can try what Chris.G did at The Break,

http://youtu.be/Uk35uht4uzE

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I added you(purgatos), but you must have already been in game. Challenge me any time you're on though.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008
All aboard the Wolverine train :toot:
In all seriousness the way it looks, it seems you specifically need a wide character and Spencer assist, so I guess it's not SO bad.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Good games, man. I could hear you through speaking but I don't have a headset because I'm still in the stone age.

Wish the lag wasn't so bad. I know I was dropping combos due to it and I could tell you were too.

Mr. Fun posted:

I added you(purgatos), but you must have already been in game. Challenge me any time you're on though.

I'll go ahead and add you while I'm at it. (Praetor51)

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
My flatmate has taken well to Nemesis, but he has some trouble with his slow attacks and isn't great at constructing his own combos. Does anyone have some good Nemesis tech they can share that I can put him onto? :)

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Dr Slouch posted:

All aboard the Wolverine train :toot:
In all seriousness the way it looks, it seems you specifically need a wide character and Spencer assist, so I guess it's not SO bad.

Yessss. Swiss cheese infinite!! I was already using a wolverine/sentinel/spencer team for umvc3. Spencer's otg assist followup for wolverine is a good replacement for the akuma tatsu.

I can't wait to try this out and use it against other people online.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
FlashMetroid has decided to pick up MODOK and is streaming on his channel. I don't know who all is over at his place, but I would assume Ryan Hunter and some other people from Option-Select.

http://www.twitch.tv/flashmetroid

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Bosushi! posted:

Good games, man. I could hear you through speaking but I don't have a headset because I'm still in the stone age.

Wish the lag wasn't so bad. I know I was dropping combos due to it and I could tell you were too.

I'll go ahead and add you while I'm at it. (Praetor51)

drat, that was a really good back and forth. It felt really even the whole time, at least to me. And holy poo poo, Ghost Rider can do a ton of damage with some fairly simple stuff.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

FauxCyclops posted:

My flatmate has taken well to Nemesis, but he has some trouble with his slow attacks and isn't great at constructing his own combos. Does anyone have some good Nemesis tech they can share that I can put him onto? :)

Don't have time to type up a whole lot about my observations with nemesis but I can notate my Nems bnb for you. I start with him on point and do:

c.LM s.H xx 623M, c.B xx 236L, c.MS, j.MHS land, super. Does about 710k, uses/builds one bar, doesn't need an assist. It's pretty easy to do but that particular combo is for the corner and has to be adjusted slightly for if you're starting in the corner. If you're fullscreen, after the wallbounce just dash up and hit S instead of trying to land the c.M before it. Minor adjustment, same deal. You also have to make sure you use standing H instead of crouching because the standing keeps them higher in the air before the groundbounce and gives you a lot more time to connect with the c.M followup. I'm sure someone has a better combo but that's what I've been using.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FauxCyclops posted:

If he's willing to watch match footage, both Floe and Combofiend play Nemesis and they were in the top three of the Super Arcade UMvC3 tournament last Saturday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5EjfjYoX6c

And while I'm posting videos, here's Mike Ross vs Marn's Runnin' Sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDAF3M0I-Ac

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

iPodschun posted:

Mike Ross :smith:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

kaujot posted:

Mike Ross :smith:

Level 3 XF no-glasses Wesker is gonna be the new Dark Phoenix, isn't he? :smith:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

PalmTreeFun posted:

Level 3 XF no-glasses Wesker is gonna be the new Dark Phoenix, isn't he? :smith:

Dark Wesker has been flipping poo poo around for awhile now, you're behind the times :cool:

Darwins_Foot
Sep 24, 2007
*Stomp*
YES!

The madcatz TE 2 stick just arrived, can't wait to get home and plug it in!

What layouts do you guys use, and why? I've been running

L M A1
S H A2

on my pad, so I'm thinking to sticking to that, but I've also seen

L M H
S A1 A2

thrown around.

Also, if anyone is up for casuals on xbox in europe, my tag is darwinsfoot. I'm not good, especially with these new wheels. =)

Darwins_Foot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 25, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darwins_Foot posted:

What layouts do you guys use, and why?

I use:

L M H S
A2 A1

It's a weird and unusual setup, but I like it. I can keep a finger on all of the main attack buttons, and since I usually set up my A2 as my go-to assist, the one that I use most often depending on the team. And I feel more comfortable moving my thumb between the two bottom-left buttons than I am my pinky from the top right to bottom right.

iPodschun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDAF3M0I-Ac

drat, no matter what, I really can't bring myself to hate Marn. Even if he is kind of a douche, but that's pretty common in Marvel community.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Darwins_Foot posted:

L M S
S A1 A2

This is the standard for MvC3. I thought it would be awkward going from MvC2 style to that but it is much better for this game in my personal opinion. The combo system makes the most sense in this format and some moves are positioned on the left, middle or right based on hitting the different strength attacks in this set up. Keeping the S under the thumb makes it easier to access A+S attacks in my opinion, though some people prefer it under the pinky like the poster above.

Edit: This is Type B from the controller menu. Type A is for controllers and Type B is for MadCatz style button layouts.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Chiming in that Felicia has quite a viable OTG assist in her Sand Slash that is handy for extending Nemesis combos; the timing is less forgiving than, say, Deadpool's by a long way but it is there. It is a crime nobody plays her!

e: With Nemesis: Ground series -> launch -> Air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb.M -> launch -> air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb.M -> launch -> air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb. M -> launch -> air ser :aaaaa:

FauxCyclops fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My guide came and it's really nice to know what stuff is safe/isn't.

Nova's j.S is unsafe, but not by as much as it probably ought to be. You could probably throw it out online all day and rarely get punished. His c.H however, is like -2 and creates a ton of space so you can just throw out c.M c.H whenever and have an eternity to confirm into launcher.

Also, the guide combos seem pretty legit this time. Combo I for Nova is the lots of H combo that Desk put up day 1. Combo I for Sentinel is the fly/unfly relaunch combo I've been doing with Sent that took me weeks to learn. The Deadpool combos are good too.

If you are having trouble with Deadpool's Quick Work xx Chimichangas there is a 2 frame window to hit the input and it's after the opponent passes over your head. If you want to be sure you hit it, mash H quickly but lightly. That is, mash H fast but don't fully depress the button. You can mash faster that way. I found that I could hit the Chimichangas cancel consistently. I'm really happy about the Chimichangas cancel from Quick Work. It means that it's easier to start combos with c.L c.M H xx Quick Work H. It should be very possible to do c.L c.M H and hitconfirm the first two hits before throwing out the Quick Work. Standing H is something like -3 so that string is pretty safe. This is in contrast to what I was doing before, c.L c.M c.H. c.H is horrible on block even if you cancel it into Ninja Gift and I would get blown up for throwing it out.

I picked up a tip from James Chen in his commentary at the cross counter open and confirmed it with the guide. If you're dashing and someone activates hyper you can block by holding up back. Most dashes are jump cancelable and jumps have 4 frames of startup during which time your character is on the ground. If you jump cancel during the hyper freeze you'll end your dash and be standing and blocking.

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 25, 2011

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

drat, no matter what, I really can't bring myself to hate Marn. Even if he is kind of a douche, but that's pretty common in Marvel community.

Nobody hates Marn. It's mostly pity.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Darwins_Foot posted:

YES!

The madcatz TE 2 stick just arrived, can't wait to get home and plug it in!

What layouts do you guys use, and why? I've been running

L M A1
S H A2

on my pad, so I'm thinking to sticking to that, but I've also seen

L M H
S A1 A2

thrown around.

Also, if anyone is up for casuals on xbox in europe, my tag is darwinsfoot. I'm not good, especially with these new wheels. =)

I was using what you're currently using, but for some reason I got a wild hair up my rear end and decided to switch to the second layout.

The adjustment is kind of like relearning to play guitar and it took a little while, but its way worth it. Your hand is much more confortable and hitting attacks and assists at the same time is much easier for me now.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Niddhogg posted:

Make sure Doom is right above their head before you do the first foot dive.

I suspected it was something like that. So do i need to put some delay between the first and the second air M or should i just start the air combo later?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm trying to figure out how to time a Dormammu teleport so that I can combo after a Phoenix Wright assist wallbounce. I know you can teleport after a Dark Matter wallbounce and combo that way, so I figure its gotta just be a matter of timing.

Though it's as easy as using Dark Hole H xx Chaotic Flame for 500k easy damage, it'd be better to not waste meter that could be used for chip damage purposes.

With Doom you just have to do his crazy "dash xx jump xx airdash down-forward" twice to be in a position to combo afterwards, which is easy.\

Edit: According to the guide, you have to do Mass Change L right before they hit the wall, air-dash down, and jumping heavy them in order to combo after a Dark Matter if they're further than half-way to the corner. If its halfway you have to use Mass Change M, no airdash required. And in the corner you can just use flight mode. I assume that'll work for any wallbounce, but I haven't tested it yet.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 26, 2011

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So, I know I'm not great at UMvC3, but I was getting a ton of hatemail last night. Is that... normal? I thought angry hatemail was more XBox than PSN.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone have a text list of all the characters? I want to check off which endings I've gotten so I can try and beat it with everyone, and with MvC3 it was easiest just to have a text dump of everyone and delete names as I beat it, but I don't feel like typing that list up again...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Andrew_1985 posted:

So, I know I'm not great at UMvC3, but I was getting a ton of hatemail last night. Is that... normal? I thought angry hatemail was more XBox than PSN.

You're doing everything right. You're on your way to being a great online player. Reply to every hatemail with "That's Salt, Folks!"

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well I was getting hatemail... even though I was losing. A lot. And I can't do aerial combos... cross-over combos....

Delete & move on. Oh well.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is playing MvC3 at all worth it? Is the online scene barren now? A friend bought UMvC3 and he's offering to give me his copy of MvC3.

Medullah posted:

Does anyone have a text list of all the characters? I want to check off which endings I've gotten so I can try and beat it with everyone, and with MvC3 it was easiest just to have a text dump of everyone and delete names as I beat it, but I don't feel like typing that list up again...

Just copy-paste from Wikipedia or something.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ojetor posted:

Is playing MvC3 at all worth it? Is the online scene barren now? A friend bought UMvC3 and he's offering to give me his copy of MvC3.

If you like your Tron Bonnes usable, keep it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well I was getting hatemail... even though I was losing. A lot. And I can't do aerial combos... cross-over combos....

Delete & move on. Oh well.

Wait, you were losing and getting hatemail? That makes no sense. As for aerial combos, what are you trying to do exactly? Just to give you a small pointer, most characters' air combo is MMHS. Never bother with hitting L.

Also, what characters are you using? You could be using characters that are too complicated for a beginner to just pick up and play.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Yeah, that's what was so perplexing. :psyduck:

I have been using a combo of Chun Li, Haggar/Taskmaster and Hawkeye with the occasional Phoenix Wright.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ojetor posted:

The funny thing is, I thought I tried doing that and it didn't work...then I thought about it and said "You know, I didn't actually try that."

Well, I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Galleries > Movies > Character Endings

Your checklist is built into the game.

Online play has evened out a lot for me. Im losing more than winning, but I'm not getting bodied nearly as hard as before. No hate mail yet, but several instances of "Good Game! Play you again sometime? ^_^" Fighting brings people together to tear each other apart :)

• Locked thread