Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Anyone have a good chicken jerky recipe that'll work without a dehydrator? I have an oven though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

heeebrew posted:

Anyone have a good chicken jerky recipe that'll work without a dehydrator? I have an oven though!

Any reason you want chicken over, say, a less likely source of salmonella?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any reason you want chicken over, say, a less likely source of salmonella?

Nope. Beef is fine too.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks for the mandoline recommendations, probably going to go with the OXO because, to be honest, I like their other products and am willing to spend the extra couple of dollars.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I own the OXO and the Benriner. Get the Benriner.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Happy Abobo posted:

I know that certain cuts of meat, like pork shoulder or belly, benefit from brining or braising. I'm curious though; is there a point to doing both in one recipe? I'm trying to make a really tender pork belly that I can make big thick slices with, and I just tried roasting at about 300-325 for 2 hours after a brine, and while the flavour is great, the lean meat bits of the belly are a bit dry and chewy. If I were to braise it instead, would that just undo the effects of the brine, though?

I think that brining and braising are mutually exclusive -- they don't have similar functions.

Let me tell you how we did pork belly at my restaurant. We would make a brine (3 gallons water, 1 gallon beer, 4c kosher salt, 2c (brown) sugar, and various flavorings, and brine our belly pieces overnight. The next day, we'd pull them from the brine and dry them off, and sear them in a hot-rear end pan. This is pretty dangerous as the fat builds up (Ive seen horrible, horrible tidal waves of fat wash over a kid's hand before).

Then we braise the belly overnight at about 200 degrees in a roasting pan with chicken stock, roasted mirepoix, some white wine, and a sachet (you dont want to be picking peppercorns out of your belly).

When the belly is done (a spoon pushes right through), we would take our braise out and let it cool until it we could handle the belly-- i.e., it wouldn't fall apart. At this point you could reduce the cooking liquid (check the saltiness) and make a sauce or whatever with it (we just used it to braise more belly). When the belly was completely cold (this frequently went another 8 hours in refrigeration), we would cut 4oz squares.

Then to serve our belly, we'd cut the belly into four equal pieces (think kit-kat), lay them flat on a greased sizzle pan, and throw them into a 500+ degree convection oven for about 5 minutes, until the belly had good color but still was moist. We'd serve this on a sweat poteto biscuit or cornbread with either some fruity business or a bourbon-y sauce.

We always got rave rave reviews for our pork belly.

This is definitely a dish that's easier to do in the restaurant -- honestly it's like 25% more work to get like 200% more portions (we'd generally end up with 175 4oz portions every time we did pork belly).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chemmy posted:

I own the OXO and the Benriner. Get the Benriner.

I've never used a Benriner, but I don't like my OXO at all. The cheap guillotine-style Pampered Chef thing I had before it was sharper and the whole thing is flimsy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. If you are looking for mandoline slicer, there is only one option that can be taken seriously

http://www.amazon.com/Bron-Original-Stainless-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322036209&sr=8-1

Okay so it's $177. My french cooking instructor had one and showed me how to make waffle potato chips on it (his was older and didn't come with a hand guard). This thing is an absolute monster.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 23, 2011

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

I think that brining and braising are mutually exclusive -- they don't have similar functions.

Let me tell you how we did pork belly at my restaurant. We would make a brine (3 gallons water, 1 gallon beer, 4c kosher salt, 2c (brown) sugar, and various flavorings, and brine our belly pieces overnight. The next day, we'd pull them from the brine and dry them off, and sear them in a hot-rear end pan. This is pretty dangerous as the fat builds up (Ive seen horrible, horrible tidal waves of fat wash over a kid's hand before).

Then we braise the belly overnight at about 200 degrees in a roasting pan with chicken stock, roasted mirepoix, some white wine, and a sachet (you dont want to be picking peppercorns out of your belly).

When the belly is done (a spoon pushes right through), we would take our braise out and let it cool until it we could handle the belly-- i.e., it wouldn't fall apart. At this point you could reduce the cooking liquid (check the saltiness) and make a sauce or whatever with it (we just used it to braise more belly). When the belly was completely cold (this frequently went another 8 hours in refrigeration), we would cut 4oz squares.

Then to serve our belly, we'd cut the belly into four equal pieces (think kit-kat), lay them flat on a greased sizzle pan, and throw them into a 500+ degree convection oven for about 5 minutes, until the belly had good color but still was moist. We'd serve this on a sweat poteto biscuit or cornbread with either some fruity business or a bourbon-y sauce.

We always got rave rave reviews for our pork belly.

This is definitely a dish that's easier to do in the restaurant -- honestly it's like 25% more work to get like 200% more portions (we'd generally end up with 175 4oz portions every time we did pork belly).

Awesome, thanks. That sounds like exactly the texture I'm going for. So the meat would benefit from both processes, huh? I'll give it a shot!

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

I think it was that but with beef stock and more pears instead of all the veg. The marinade sounds bang on though so thanks for that, I will give it a go. Either way it looks pretty delicious; cheers!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ktb posted:

I recently ate some sort of beef and pear stew thing. It was absolutely delicious and I want to make it myself. However google is giving me a ton of recipes and none of them sound like the right thing. The girl that brought it in said that it was Korean. I'm pretty sure it had garlic, ginger, some chilli and soy sauce but beyond that I have no idea. Does anyone know what this dish is called or have a recipe for it?

Sounds like Bulgogi to me too. It's the pears that give it away.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. If you are looking for mandoline slicer, there is only one option that can be taken seriously

http://www.amazon.com/Bron-Original-Stainless-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322036209&sr=8-1

Okay so it's $177. My french cooking instructor had one and showed me how to make waffle potato chips on it (his was older and didn't come with a hand guard). This thing is an absolute monster.

I gave that cheap thing away when I got my Shun.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, prep time for the steel cut is considerably longer, that is why it isn't well suited to baking, and why a lot of people like to put it in a slow cooker.

It takes about 12 minutes. Longer, but not days and days or anything.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can anyone recommend an "intermediate beginner" book for learning the basics of cooking and fundamental skills that I'll need to perform most recipes? For instance, I want a book that has Chapter 1 - how to chop poo poo. Chapter 2 - the basics of making sauces, etc. And then that chapter would explain how chicken stock is the base for most soups, how to make a roux, what a mirepoix is, etc. I made a tomato soup this week that was just chicken stock with roasted tomatoes, combined with a mirepoix and some heavy cream, and I realized that I should know how to do that kind of stuff from scratch.

I feel like I can't cook anything unless I have a recipe in front of me. If someone told me to go make a fish chowder I would have no idea what to do, even though I've made fish stock before and have tons of it in my freezer. Thanks for any suggestions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Irish Revenge posted:

Can anyone recommend an "intermediate beginner" book for learning the basics of cooking and fundamental skills that I'll need to perform most recipes? For instance, I want a book that has Chapter 1 - how to chop poo poo. Chapter 2 - the basics of making sauces, etc. And then that chapter would explain how chicken stock is the base for most soups, how to make a roux, what a mirepoix is, etc. I made a tomato soup this week that was just chicken stock with roasted tomatoes, combined with a mirepoix and some heavy cream, and I realized that I should know how to do that kind of stuff from scratch.
Pick up a used copy of CIA's The Professional Chef. It's a standardised textbook that will take you from the bare basics to general competence.

The major drawback for a home cook is that it the ingredient lists usually serve about 40. But nobody goes to Prochef for the recipes (which are pretty tame and boring anyway). It's a handbook of technique, and it is expressly designed to cover it all, presuming no prior knowledge.

If you want a general, all-purpose cookbook, you probably are looking for Bittman's How To Cook Everything. Most of the recipes are a little on the safe/bland side, but they're a pretty good starting point to understand the basics of just about any dish you can think of.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SubG has great suggestions. Here are a couple other possibilities:

You might consider "The New Best Recipe" if you want a (really good) general purpose cookbook. It has great explanations of why the recipe is how it is and what happens if you do things differently. It doesn't have exactly what you are looking for, though.

Another option might be the combination of "Ratio" and "The Flavor Bible". The flavor bible tells you which flavors go with what. Ratio tells you what amounts of stuff you should combine together. Taken together, you can invent any recipe you want*. This might be more intermediate-advanced, though.

*Ratio is great for baking and some sauces, but it doesn't have anything for basic preparations of meat and vegetables.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

taqueso posted:

Another option might be the combination of "Ratio" and "The Flavor Bible". The flavor bible tells you which flavors go with what. Ratio tells you what amounts of stuff you should combine together. Taken together, you can invent any recipe you want*. This might be more intermediate-advanced, though.
Yeah, The Flavor Bible is probably the book I turn to the most frequently, but you really need to have the basics down before you use something like it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SubG posted:

Yeah, The Flavor Bible is probably the book I turn to the most frequently, but you really need to have the basics down before you use something like it.

Ya, it is more advanced, but I had to post it because that combo is really helping me get away from being a slave to recipes.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

SubG posted:

I put this in my wish list for our group's Secret Santa, I really hope I get it :ohdear:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Steve Yun posted:

I have one in another color, works great, you can even chop almonds fine enough to make french macarons with it.

Although I don't use it that often, just for big jobs, because there's a bunch of parts to clean and I always have to decide between cleaning a knife and cutting board or disassembling and cleaning five parts.

I bought it and it should be here this week, I've been eying this one for a while but it was $250 for a long time... It seems they're trying to get rid of the 7x0 models on Amazon cause they're really cheap now.

Gonna make some nice humus.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Irish Revenge posted:

I feel like I can't cook anything unless I have a recipe in front of me. If someone told me to go make a fish chowder I would have no idea what to do, even though I've made fish stock before and have tons of it in my freezer. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm throwing in my hat with Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen. http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cooking-Wayne-Gisslen/dp/0470197536/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096285&sr=1-1

It's a pretty great text. Tons of simple recipes, tons of info. Everything is broken down into easy to digest info You get a wealth of theory that starts at the basics and moves to more complex ideas. Tons of pictures and step by step guides to everything you'd want to know.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Irish Revenge posted:

America's Test Kitchen family cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Test-Kitchen-Family-Cookbook/dp/1933615486/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322104179&sr=1-3 is a good choice, as they have easy to follow recipes and technique demo's in the book. While they don't have a starting chapter it is laid out quite nicely and easy to follow. It's helped me cook a lot better.

And though it's a website/magazine the same goes for Cooks Illustrated (again by America's Test Kitchen).

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

gently caress, I'm having trouble with deciding on how to cook this 15 lb Turduchen, drat you insomnia. 8-9 hours at the low temp of 225 or a 3-4 hour cook starting it at 500 for 1/2 an hour and dropping to 350 for the remainder?

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why the hell is it so hard to peel a boiled egg? Everytime I've seen deviled eggs they look awesome. When I tried to peel these things, I had 4000 pieces of shell, and parts of the egg came up with the shell, leaving eggs that were pitted all over like the surface of the moon. What am I doing wrong?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
Older eggs peel much better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Crack the egg around the middle then just roll it on a hard surface so that it has cracks all over and the skin under the shell is lose. Then just pull at it somewhere so the skin breaks away from the egg and just peel it all off

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

Wow, you were right. HUGE difference! Thanks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have four lbs. of boneless country style ribs in the crock pot right now that I rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano, and threw in a sliced onion and a head of fresh garlic (thanks dis astranagant!). I'd like to use the leftover juices after I remove and shred the pork to make a sauce. Any quick ideas, or is that a bad idea?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

I have four lbs. of boneless country style ribs in the crock pot right now that I rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano, and threw in a sliced onion and a head of fresh garlic (thanks dis astranagant!). I'd like to use the leftover juices after I remove and shred the pork to make a sauce. Any quick ideas, or is that a bad idea?

You could use flour and some chicken stock and/or milk to make gravy out of it, I think. Like this recipe here:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_gravy/

I've never actually done that with pork juices from a crock pot though...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

The Midniter posted:

Are you just going to shred the meat? If so the easiest thing is to just strain that liquid and reduce it.. taste to make sure it isnt too salty and then add it back into the meat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

Are you just going to shred the meat? If so the easiest thing is to just strain that liquid and reduce it.. taste to make sure it isnt too salty and then add it back into the meat.

Yeah, was just going to shred it. After I reduce it, if I taste it and it's too salty, then what? Toss it? Dilute it with water?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

When I was a kid I loved peas because they were starchy and savoury, now any brand of frozen peas I buy tastes like it has loving sugar in it, including the ones not specifically advertised as sweet peas. I have no absolutely no sweet tooth and no longer enjoy peas as a result. Is there anyone out there not breeding their peas for sweetness? :smith:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
nvm

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 5, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance. I bought a Wusthof 7" Santoku sometime last year. I love it to death, but its lost some of its sharpness. Do I sharpen it myself or take it to someone local to be sharpened? If I can sharpen it myself, what should I use? I've never owned a good quality knife before, so I'm not really certain on how to sharpen it properly beyond what I saw family do with their cheap knives (and I doubt it was correct). I love my knife and want to make sure it gets proper treatment :shobon:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 25, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

2508084 posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance. I bought a Wusthof 7" Santoku sometime last year. I love it to death, but its lost some of its sharpness. Do I sharpen it myself or take it to someone local to be sharpened? If I can sharpen it myself, what should I use? I've never owned a good quality knife before, so I'm not really certain on how to sharpen it properly beyond what I saw family do with their cheap knives (and I doubt it was correct). I love my knife and want to make sure it gets proper treatment :shobon:

I'm horrific at cooking, though I find it all very interesting, this happens to be one topic I know a bit about through a friend of mine who's a chef. There are two main things you need to deal with in keeping a knife in tip top shape, sharpening it and truing it. You can sharpen a knife best using a waterstone, a porous rock with a rough surface that you soak in water and then use to grind down the edge of the knife with sweeping motions. You true a knife using a steel, those long metal rods that often come with knife sets, truing refers to aligning the edge of the blade so it sits in the center at a 20 degree angle, giving you the "true" edge.

Truing takes a bit of practice to get good at, but isn't terribly difficult and as far as I know you can't really damage a knife by doing it incorrectly unless you're doing something horribly wrong. It's mostly about the angle you true at how much pressure and how you move the steel.

Using a waterstone on the other hand can hurt the knife if you don't know what you're doing, you can leave abrasions on the flat of the knife and damage the edge of it.

I personally sharpen my knives myself when they need it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with getting it done professionally and it's certainly easier.

(Take this all with a grain of salt, once again, I'm no expert :shobon:)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

2508084 posted:

Take it to a knife sharpening shop or a key duplicator (they often have knife sharpening equipment). Should be something like $6-7. Do this once a year. It's an absolute crime that almost everyone I know doesn't bother getting their knives sharpened and continue to cut with dull poo poo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 25, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Torka posted:

When I was a kid I loved peas because they were starchy and savoury, now any brand of frozen peas I buy tastes like it has loving sugar in it, including the ones not specifically advertised as sweet peas. I have no absolutely no sweet tooth and no longer enjoy peas as a result. Is there anyone out there not breeding their peas for sweetness? :smith:

This is the exact problem I have with butternut squash. I used to love it as a kid, because it was starchy and savoury, with a VERY mild back note of sweetness. Every time I bite into a bit of butternut nowadays, it's a ball of disappointment and pain, because it's so loving sweet. I never liked sweet things, even as a kid, so I know it's not just me. And now that you mention your squick about peas, I feel like I've found a kindred spirit who feels my pain. MAINS SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE AFTERS. Ugh.

If it helps any, I've found that edamame is a decent substitute for peas. They're quite lovely, and only very mildly sweet in comparison to peas. I still enjoy peas, but only when steamed lightly, tossed in oil and salt, and roasted in the oven. The caramelly taste seems to offset the choking sweetness.

dino. fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 25, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I bought some store-brand peas from Family Thrift a couple weeks ago that were notable less sweet than what I'm used to. Maybe a coincidence, but I'd imagine the less sweet peas would be less in demand and more likely to be used for store-brand than a major brand.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Larger peas will be further developed, so a lot of the sugars will be converted into starches (and therefore not sweet). If you're buying frozen, feel through the bag to and aim for the bowling-ballest peas you can find.

I share your pain with butternut, dino. It's like they were trying to clone sweet potatoes or something. I'm fine with sweet, but it definitely reduces the versatility of the squash. I find myself picking up more hubbards, acorns, and whatever other squash varieties the stores have to use in more savory applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Cake decorators! I need your assistance. I'm dating a cake decorator and want to buy her an airbrush. She's said she needs one before and I think it'd be a good Christmas present. I realize this would be like her buying me a video card so I wanted to consult the experts.

Is there an "industry standard" high quality airbrush that she'll be happy with? Does one size fit all or are there airbrushes for different cakes etc?
Price isn't that big of a barrier as much as bang for the buck.

Also, is there a general cake thread? I didn't see one.