Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

uglynoodles posted:

I'm so sorry.
I'm sure you're well beyond all that now, but if you ever need someone to listen to, I'm a pro at being a non-judgmental pair of ears.

I'll second this. That kinda poo poo is hosed to high hell. I've got a bit of experience playing shrink, so consider me backup for Noodles if you ever need an ear or four.

uglynoodles posted:

As for what the other poster said regarding lots of socially underdeveloped girls going through "boy" phases, I'm certainly one of them. I was always a tomboy but because of many reasons I've already identified and gone through I went through a stage where I had serious problems with my gender and sex identity.

So it's a thing and, apparently, others have gone through it too. That's really nice to know because it was a really difficult thing for me and to know I'm not the only person in the world that's happened to is comforting somehow.

This isn't entirely unique to women, though it seems more common. Most of the women I've known actually went through a "boy" phase, including my sister, but I've also known a handful of men who had stretches where they leaned more towards identifying as girls. I think when you're a shy, awkward youth you can get a "the grass is greener" feeling about the opposite gender as you struggle with your own. Maybe a "it doesn't seem as bad for them" or "they seem to have their poo poo down better" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canyons of Static
Mar 28, 2006
Could've moved mountains
Thanks guys. I'm in a much better place now and within the last four years or so I've finally made some great, healthy friendships with people of both genders. I was kind of turned off by female friendships for a while after "breaking up" with Joan (and yes, it was just as volatile as breaking up in a romantic relationship), and coupled with my lingering gender issues I went on to have a lot of weird quasi-sexual relationships with men who I would later find out thought I was a lesbian. But that chapter of my life is over now, and I now have an active social life, lots of friends, and I even have a ~BFF~ again, who I know I can count on and who will listen to me when I have a problem and never turn it back against me. Well-adjusted friends rock ;)

I shudder to think what my life would be like had I continued being friends with her. Even when I was across the country going to college, she'd monopolize my time via IM and by calling my dorm phone all the time (this was before I had a cellphone thankfully. I think that would have been even worse.) And of course, as soon as I was back for break we'd be together 24/7. I think that semester away made me realize how much more there was to life that she was holding me back from with her weird possessiveness and her fixation on childish fantasies. I broke and didn't look back. Although with the advent of Facebook, it was inevitable that she eventually friend-requested me and after a lot of thought I accepted it, because it had been years by that time and I didn't want to invite drama by ignoring her (she does know some secrets of mine that I still worry she will somehow spread all over my old hometown.) I never look at her page but she frequently likes my statuses and now and then leaves a comment. She did message me a couple months ago apologizing for how she acted as a kid and to tell me that her mother had been diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (gee, you think?) but it doesn't seem like she's matured much and I am not interested in ever being her friend again.

More word vomit, sorry. I don't usually talk about this aspect of my life!

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!

Forti posted:

Everything on this page is cool as hell, great stories.

I love reading about hosed up people so this is rather engaging :v:

We need a master thread that's just stories of hosed up people, and not specifically ones who literally believe they are fictional people

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Count me in the tally of other socially awkward girls that went through a strange boyish phase.

I was physically an "early bloomer" and hit puberty early and quickly. I had my first period two months before my 11th birthday, and I was wearing adult sized clothing about then too. My interests were--still are--tomboyish and actually kind of all over the place. I liked video games, math/science and intellectual things while many other girls my age were just starting to like boys, makeup and idk whatever else 12 year old girls like. I went through a period where I hated my body, and felt like I wasn't a real girl. Hated dealing with girl culture, hated my woman-like body while many of my peers were very girl-like.

I felt like instead of being atypical (or not-stereotypical) girl I was some weird freak. Now I'm happy with being a woman and identify as a woman. I still have issues, but I'm dealing with them in a better situation.

Everyone called me a late bloomer for not liking boys even in Grades 9~12ish, even though I don't understand why anyone would like their peers in those age groups. Felt like a misfit because I never had a "crush" on any of the boys at school and made me wonder for a long time if I was asexual. I'm finding out now that no, I wasn't asexual, or aromantic or whatever... Just didn't know anyone that I wanted to date ever until recently.

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one that had similar experiences with gender identity, it's comforting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Jyrraeth posted:

Count me in the tally of other socially awkward girls that went through a strange boyish phase.

I was physically an "early bloomer" and hit puberty early and quickly. I had my first period two months before my 11th birthday, and I was wearing adult sized clothing about then too. My interests were--still are--tomboyish and actually kind of all over the place. I liked video games, math/science and intellectual things while many other girls my age were just starting to like boys, makeup and idk whatever else 12 year old girls like. I went through a period where I hated my body, and felt like I wasn't a real girl. Hated dealing with girl culture, hated my woman-like body while many of my peers were very girl-like.

That's what happened to me too. :( I hit puberty at ten. I was years before my other classmates started, so I was the weird one out.

I'm kinda glad to hear that I wasn't alone for that odd stage.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Wandering Knitter posted:

That's what happened to me too. :( I hit puberty at ten. I was years before my other classmates started, so I was the weird one out.

I'm kinda glad to hear that I wasn't alone for that odd stage.

It got me at ten, too. I went from nothing to a B-cup overnight. It was horrifying, and the girls at school didn't help, demanding that I "prove they're real." Ugh.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

nonconsensualninja posted:

It got me at ten, too. I went from nothing to a B-cup overnight. It was horrifying, and the girls at school didn't help, demanding that I "prove they're real." Ugh.

I can't exactly remember what cup size I was in Grades 5 and 6, but I do remember being teased in Gym class when I would forget my bra and have to run. I was probably a B or C cup in that time frame.

Though on the sorta-plus, strangers thought I was 2~3 years older than I was all he time, and treated me with a bit more respect. Though I was always a quiet and well-behaved kid, so it was easy to get grown-ups to be nice to me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

nonconsensualninja posted:

My classmates just called me fat, since all of a sudden over the summer my chest and butt got all big! :downs:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Canyons of Static posted:

For example, at some point Joan's mother (I'll call her Ursula because she looked and acted shockingly similar to the Little Mermaid villain) decided that she (Ursula) was a ~magical wiccan witch~ and so she would always do stupid new age poo poo like dangle crystals over candles while musing upon the astral plane or whatever. Some of this rubbed off on Joan, and I remember one night that I slept over and we were hanging out in her bedroom (which was still decorated like a six-year-old's, except with anime posters tacked up over the pastel wallpaper) and Joan decided there were very menacing vibes coming from the corner of the room by the windows. She got more and more agitated and kept saying that the "Negaverse" was bleeding into our world and it was time to take up our true roles as Sailor Scouts and vanquish this evil.

That poor, unfortunate soul.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I never went through a "boy phase" and I didn't develop early, but I got plenty of the same "hate my body" feelings. I was disappointed that I wasn't developing like all the other girls were and struggled with body issues for many years, hiding in baggy, ugly clothes.

I always had the problem (still do) of looking several years younger than I was, though I don't take that for granted anymore. When I was 8, people thought I was 5. When I was 13, people thought I was 9. When I was 17, people thought I was 13, and a 13 year old boy at that! I had an aunt ask my mom "who's that young boy over there?" at a family gathering when I was 17. Pretty embarrassing at the time, but I'm more comfortable with an androgynous look nowadays. If I look like a boy, I'm glad that I at least look like a pretty boy.:colbert:

According to my mom, I was a fairly hardcore tomboy as a tyke and would run away and scream if she tried to put me in a dress. Maybe my "boy phase" was just much younger.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Reading this thread for only a few pages is exhausting. Thanks for the stories. They create greater appreciation in the fact that my close friends and acquaintances are quite well-adjusted in comparison.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
This thread makes me think that my first boyfriend, Dan, in 1990 (when I was 14 and he was 17) would've been a huge anime fan if we had been born a few years later.

As it was, he pretended to be possessed by demons and the spirits of various dead people (some famous but also some closer to home like when he pretended to be possessed by the spirit of my mother who had died 4 months earlier. Let that swirl around in your head for a second. Yeah, it was as disturbing as you might imagine). He also pretended to be possessed by members of Anthrax a couple times because he knew that that was my favorite band (obviously there was some convoluted explanation as to why he was able to do this with living people). Very occasionally, he was Jesus and Satan.

Mostly he was a demon named Morpheus who was basically our commander. He was the guy that told me and Dan what to do. Morpheus would fill the body of Dan and tell me that Dan and I needed to have sex for the sake of the universe or some poo poo or that we had to run away from home or that he had to punch me in the stomach a bunch of times because I was pregnant and we had to abort the baby (I wasn't actually pregnant but according to Morpheus I was but just not aware of it).

It was all part of a bizarre mythology not that different from Denise's where we were stars in some other dimension and powerful beings from the other side took special notice of us.

I was only with Dan for about 3 months because it didn't take long for me to realize he was an abusive psycho. When we met though, I was in a very vulnerable state (due to the afore-mentioned death of my mother and a terrible childhood in general) and this mythology he had built up for us was somewhat fun to let myself believe in. It was all so outrageous that I spent a lot of time thinking "how could he have made this all up? WHY would he make this all up??" It was just too much to believe that a person could do something so morally awful.

I sought him out when I was 19 because I had a lot of unresolved issues about it and he immediately apologized, begged forgiveness and admitted it was all a lie. I told him I forgave him outwardly but inwardly, I did not, and hated him for a long time afterwords. As I got older, I realized the enormity of what he had done. I understood that there is a thing such as coercive rape, for instance.

I'm 35 now so this doesn't cause me any pain as I talk about it. I just sort of marvel that it actually did happen. I hadn't thought about it really for a few years until I started reading this thread.

If anything, knowing that this kind of person is so relatively common is helpful to me.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Allright so what's the clinical term for all this? They seem deep into their delusions but can occasionally be dragged back from the looking glass with enough pressure (Denise and the letter).[/wikidiagnosis]

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Ograbme posted:

Allright so what's the clinical term for all this? They seem deep into their delusions but can occasionally be dragged back from the looking glass with enough pressure (Denise and the letter).[/wikidiagnosis]

Schizotypal personality disorder would be nearly spot-on.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ograbme posted:

I don't know the term for it but it seems pretty clear that this is a result of taking the easy way out time after time. A lifelong habit of it.

Life gives you a crossroads. You see it and you're not stupid so it's plain to you that one road leads to looking at yourself, finding some perspective, realizing some things and growing. The other leads to whatever excuse you want to insert as to why it's not your fault because of xxx.

Snowball enough of the latter path choices into your personal development and it becomes vital to your sense of self that you never even acknowledge that things could have been different if you had of had the guts to figure out why you go wrong so often.

And all the while a bit of you knows the truth. You can't filter your perception 24/7 and occasionally it will hit home to you that you loving suck and the whole 'denial by any means' thing has to get a fresh layer of paint.

This kind of desperation can't be underestimated. The only important thing to people like Denise is to avoid self scrutiny whilst appearing to not only be functional but superior in every way.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Oh Hell No posted:

Schizotypal personality disorder would be nearly spot-on.

It seems like there should be a name for the specific "I'm possessed by <character /> and we're all really important in this other world where all these fictional things really exist" delusion that Denise and so many other mentioned people seem to exhibit.

Like "schizotypal personality disorder, soulbonding type" or some such - the specifics of the disorder seem just too congruent among so many cases to not have (or at least deserve) a common term.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

eschaton posted:

It seems like there should be a name for the specific "I'm possessed by <character /> and we're all really important in this other world where all these fictional things really exist" delusion that Denise and so many other mentioned people seem to exhibit.

Like "schizotypal personality disorder, soulbonding type" or some such - the specifics of the disorder seem just too congruent among so many cases to not have (or at least deserve) a common term.

If memory serves since I'm not about to dig out my old psych classes notes, schizotypal works and dissassociative identity disorder might work too in some degree. I don't remember if there was anything that would fit how some of these people come across as knowing that this is all fake but still clinging to the delusion.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I sought him out when I was 19 because I had a lot of unresolved issues about it and he immediately apologized, begged forgiveness and admitted it was all a lie. I told him I forgave him outwardly but inwardly, I did not, and hated him for a long time afterwords. As I got older, I realized the enormity of what he had done. I understood that there is a thing such as coercive rape, for instance.

What an oddball. Did you ever contact him again?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ask me about studying law with a girl who thinks she's married to Sai Baba

Previously:
The Girl in the Sari
A Note on Henriette
Phantom in Honolulu
The Girl who Thinks She's Married to Sai Baba & Part 2
The Thespian Society
Amnesia: The Friendship Descent
The Stage Play

Interlude 1: Raja Discovers Blogging
Interlude 2: Le Fursécution!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I am really good at google. Can I do some internet detective poo poo on your stories?

A: NO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bollywood Film 1: A True Story

:v: Henriette?
:byodame: Rhino! I need your help urgently! I need a lawyer!
:v: Holy crap, what happened?
:byodame: I need you to come to the moot court classroom dressed up like a lawyer! It's really important! Remember to iron your shirt and tie and wear your suit too! Bye!
:v: It's three in the bloody morn-did you just hang up on me?

And that was how I came to be part of the development and saga of Henriette's second and final project for the Thespian Society: the Bollywood film. I was not only actor, I also became part of the technical crew for the stage and screening (because knowing computers means knowing anything involving buttons). It was through these roles I got some insight on the workings of the film and how much of a trainwreck it would turn out to be. To Henriette's benefit, the show apparently did make some kind of monetary profit (since she charged for tickets), but at what cost?

I turned up in the moot court in my own shirt, jacket and tie, not entirely sure of what to expect. Henriette was already there with a flimsy little Panasonic camcoder on a stand, and assisting her was Lin (the fangirl) and Jake Long, American Dragon (the furry). Henriette had a worried expression on her face: Azmi, the lecturer who she had managed to convince to act as a judge, had not turned up because he was at afternoon prayers.

:v: So, what's the show about?
:byodame: It's a part-musical part-drama based on a true story! It's a story about a mother striving against the threachery of men to become an independent woman. I am Sadna, who eloped with a man she thought was her true love, but it turned out he was a violent gambler, so she divorced him and got all his money. We are now going to film the last climatic scene where the court declared that Sadna gets to own half the matrimonial home and she has finally won! Yes, half a house physically. It wasn't liquidated, no. It's a true story. You are my ex-husband's lawyer who asks me a lot of unfair questions and cause me great agony, and basically you're an rear end in a top hat. Oh, stop complaining. By the way, I forgot to tell you, the show's name is I WILL SURVIVE!

:v: I will survive. That's rather disco. Very Gloria Gaynor.
:byodame: You're pronouncing it wrong! It has an exclamation mark at the end. Here, take a look at this poster.

:byodame: What do you mean, is this a concept draft? Don't be silly! It's the final teaser poster and I got society members to paste it around campus today. Ah, Azmi's here!
:reject: Ok, I got an hour before the next class. Do you have a script?
:byodame: No, everything's improvised.
:v: Wait, we need to write our own argument and judgment?
:byodame: Well, you're doing law! That's pretty easy for you. Here, have some information about this scene.
:v: Don't you have a storyboard or any kind of conceptual thing at a
:reject: I'm awarding you half a house? I don't think that's how damages are calculated.
:byodame: It's a true story.

Another guy turned up in a suit, obviously the actor portraying Henriette's lawyer. I recognised him - he was an engineering student, which meant...

:v: Do I have to write HIS argument too? To use against me?
:byodame: Of course!

:suicide:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Why did you not walk out at this point like any sane person would have done?

I love how you're writing these, btw.

Soasey
Oct 16, 2011
This is the best thing ever. I must say, I've had some friends who, for no longer than a few hours, would make claims to me about their super saiyan powers, or how they are friends with robots in disguise... but by the end of the day, everyone knew this was make believe; a story we told eachother to fill the day.

I've never been close enough to someone so hosed up to know that this actually exists. The closest I've ever come is doing a project with a schizophrenic in "Time to Speak" class in highschool. I learned about her issue, and how it affected her. She genuinely seemed normal until then, and never spurted out anything, but she told me about how she used to just say anything, and about the former very strong voices in her head that she had trouble controlling. She seemed actually schizophrenic, and was well on her way on controlling it.

That one comic earlier put it perfectly. Denise was probably just gifted with an overly creative brain, but also gifted with a very stable home in spite of her abandoning mother. Sound's like a very great father. Something must have happened that just made her lazy, and... well I won't try to figure it out.

Amazing, and thanks for sharing uglynoodles.

--edit, I know what I described sounds like some weird mix of tourettes and schizoid syndromes, but it was schizoid; she explained how her outbursts were normal conversational things, just not what she really wanted to say.

Soasey fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 27, 2011

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

HardDisk posted:

What an oddball. Did you ever contact him again?

Nah, I got over it within the next few years and never felt the need. But even if I had, what else was there to say? He asked for forgiveness without being prompted. I wasn't going to keep beating him up about it.

As far as mental disorders go, I think some of these people are just good old fashioned pathological liars. When I saw Dan that last time when I was 19, even though he admitted to lying about everything in the past, he told me he was now a warlock and he was training an acolyte in the magical arts. He said that it was embarrassing sometimes how his acolyte insisted on caling him Master.

It's like he just couldn't help himself. He had to constantly make poo poo up.

I wonder how his life has turned out. I'm guessing poorly.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nessa posted:

I never went through a "boy phase" and I didn't develop early, but I got plenty of the same "hate my body" feelings. I was disappointed that I wasn't developing like all the other girls were and struggled with body issues for many years, hiding in baggy, ugly clothes.

I always had the problem (still do) of looking several years younger than I was, though I don't take that for granted anymore. When I was 8, people thought I was 5. When I was 13, people thought I was 9. When I was 17, people thought I was 13, and a 13 year old boy at that! I had an aunt ask my mom "who's that young boy over there?" at a family gathering when I was 17. Pretty embarrassing at the time, but I'm more comfortable with an androgynous look nowadays. If I look like a boy, I'm glad that I at least look like a pretty boy.:colbert:

According to my mom, I was a fairly hardcore tomboy as a tyke and would run away and scream if she tried to put me in a dress. Maybe my "boy phase" was just much younger.

Assuming you look like your av, isn't the confusion due to your short hair? Most skinny guys would get consfused as girls too with long hair and fitted clothes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Assuming you look like your av, isn't the confusion due to your short hair? Most skinny guys would get consfused as girls too with long hair and fitted clothes.

I don't really look like my av (man, that's a lovely drawing that I need to get replaced), but I did have short hair and much prefer short hair because it suits me better, and I also had a very narrow, boyish build. I've only started to gain weight and boobs because of the birth control I'm on.

On the first forum I ever joined, I had posted a picture of myself, and later found other posters making fun of me for looking like a 12 year old boy.:ohdear: Comments along the lines of: "Psh, have you seen what Nessa looks like? She looks like a loving 12 year old boy! Anyone attracted to her has got to be a loving pedophile."

Then again, it was also a comic book forum...

KittenmittenKameha
Sep 8, 2011

Nessa posted:

On the first forum I ever joined, I had posted a picture of myself, and later found other posters making fun of me for looking like a 12 year old boy.:ohdear: Comments along the lines of: "Psh, have you seen what Nessa looks like? She looks like a loving 12 year old boy! Anyone attracted to her has got to be a loving pedophile."
Did any of these asswipes even know what a pedophile is?

Vespertine
Sep 11, 2007

Nessa posted:

What do you MEAN women don't normally have boobs the size of the Goodyear blimp and broken spines?

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

uglynoodles posted:

The Admiral's actual rank is different, but the concept is the same.

It wouldnt happen to be The Captain would it?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nessa posted:

I got the same poo poo from the SA forums. :downs: Someone even bought me an avatar of my photo going WHAT GENDER AM I.

I later found a post from the guy who bought it and I think he thought I was a boy who looks like 'a total fag'.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

uglynoodles posted:

Her history is she is supposed to be half dragon, half demon/incubus, but she gets touchy if you mention that if her mother is a 'plain old human' and her father is Vegeta, then that at most makes her half Saiyan and nothing else.

Fuckin' whinger. I would be stoked if my dad was Saiyan. He wasn't, he was Protestant.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Previously:
The Girl in the Sari
A Note on Henriette
Phantom in Honolulu
The Girl who Thinks She's Married to Sai Baba & Part 2
The Thespian Society
Amnesia: The Friendship Descent
The Stage Play

Interlude 1: Raja Discovers Blogging
Interlude 2: Le Fursécution!

The Bollywood Film 1: A True Story

Q: I am really good at google. Can I do some internet detective poo poo on your stories?

A: NO.

The Bollywood Film 2: I am Batman

I Will Survive! posted:

Sadna (Henriette) fell in love with a poor cafeteria worker played by Shum (the carnatic singer), but her parents wanted her to marry the rich but somewhat boring Hinder. Sadna eloped with Shum, and somehow Shum became successful and owned an unnamed company. Shum also turned out to be a gambler, drunk and a wifebeater. Sadna divorced and took her kid with her, but got a terrible alimony. She brought Shum to court (ironically with Hinder as her lawyer) and was awarded a handsome sum in damages and also "half the house".

It's a true story.

I looked at the information sheet detailing my character. I was, apparently, the lousy lawyer representing Shum, whose only defence was that Sadna provided no income to the family, and something about a nightclub which Shum made up apparently. Azmi was also reading his and had some questions for Henriette.

:reject: I think the "no income to family" defence can be used to stop you from getting too much money, you know.
:byodame: The audience wouldn't know, don't worry! Anyway, it's a true story. Being the judge, you are going to pass judgment that I get half the house and a few million American dollars.
:reject: About that "half the house" thing.

I left Henriette to argue with Azmi, and concentrated on the argument-writing with Hinder. Hinder was obviously out of his league, and I had to teach him basics of court proceedings and the forms of arguments he could make. He was genuinely fascinated with the workings of the court and such, and coaching him in that very short time was actually quite pleasant.

In the middle of the coaching, Henriette did a short shriek.

:byodame: We don't have a court clerk! We need a MALAY GIRL as a court clerk! It has to be accurate! Lin! Give me Vina's number now! VINA VINA VINA! I have an emergency! I need a court clerk!

Those phone conversations would become a regular trend in the production of I Will Survive!. Any time Henriette needed an actor not part of her entourage, she would hurriedly call someone, put up a pretense of emergency and provide minimal information to induce the person to come. That was in fact how almost every other student in the law faculty got involved as an actor or bit part in the show: there was once Henriette called up a bunch of guys in the middle of the night only to make them sit in the background of a cafeteria as extras. I doubt anybody actually walked away from the, ha ha, "set" despite the lack of preparation or anything whatsoever. Morbid curiosity and boredom most probably played a large part.

Vina, thankfully, was just around the area and came by quite quickly. Being a law student she also helped out in writing out the arguments, since she realised her role was relegated to : (1) sitting down in front of Azmi and pretending to write stuff; (2) standing up and say "Court rise"/"Court adjourned" and (3) lending Henriette her handbag for a scene.

Henriette came to us, took a look at our scripts and disapproved.

:byodame: You have got it all wrong! Rhino, you need to ask me whether I conduct in nocturnal activities! Then, the judge will scold you for using bombastic words at me. You need more bombastic words, put them in please. Also, that has to be your last line in the cross-examination because you are not only an rear end in a top hat, you are a terrible lawyer. And Hinder needs to shout OBJECTION! when you mention the nocturnal thing.
:v: Malaysian courts like English courts don't do that. That's American. Also what is with that noctur
:byodame: It's a true story.

Who was I to question the validity of a true story? I worked those parts in and soon after, Henriette was shrieking for me to stand by the witness box she was sitting in.

Lin turned on the camcorder. Oh, we were filming without any rehearsal at all? I glanced at Henriette, who had her game face on, which was a stony expression staring at me intensely. I started speaking, only to be interrupted by a shriek.

:byodame: You need to speak louder! The camera's over there, you need to speak loudly so it can get your voice! Also don't move around the court because you need to stay in frame all the time.

So, there was a little Panasonic camcorder on a stand. No mics. Just Lin and Jake Long, American Dragon holding onto it. Whenever a perspective change was required, Henriette would shriek and we would pause our actions, while the two camerapersons ran gingerly around us holding the camera and the stand.

We also had to film everything in sequence (which meant Vina and Azmi, who only had scenes in the beginning and the end of the court scene, had to wait sitting doing nothing while the arguments were being made), because apparently Henriette was doing the editing and she, who had a diploma in drama and film, knew you can only edit films which are in sequence and therefore the filming procedure should ignore petty things like time schedules and human resources.

I had a rather difficult time doing the court scene. There were no rehearsals, the only script I had was mine, and therefore I was not able to anticipate Henriette's responses to my questions. This resulted in the following exchange:

:v: So, Madam Sadna, I put to you that you have been spending your nights... er... conducting nocturnal activities in the more questionable establishments of the city.
:byodame: [STONY EXPRESSION IS EVEN MORE STONED]

:v: If you could answer by way of yes or no
:byodame: HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING YOU HORRIBLE PERSON HOW COULD YOU DO SUCH A THING TO A SINGLE MOTHER LIKE ME
:v: Madam S
:byodame: I CANNOT BELIEVE IT YOU MEN ARE ALL SUCH SUCH SUCH BEASTS, I AM DYING AND SUFFERING HERE BECAUSE OF YOU OH SAI BABA

As it turned out, Shum also shared the same difficulty as I did. A scene involved him and Henriette having some kind of face-off match before the courtroom, where Shum threatened to sue the pants off her. In court. He was similarly faced with the same massive stony expression, and was shrieked at immediately after when he tried to figure out what Henriette was doing.

:reject: ...and Madam Sadna is awarded... half... the matrimonial home.

Thank good god that was over. Now I could go home and catch up with Heroes.

:byodame: RHINOOOOOOOOO

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

:byodame: Rhino I need you to do another scene and also I need Shawn's number! It's urgent! We need another lawyer and he must be Indian!

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 27, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I am so in love with Crazy Henriette and I hope she never dies.

Here's part 2 of my guesthouse adventures, which really ought to be enough to make weeaboos think twice.

The Incest Adventures

Towards the end of my stay in the guesthouse (I was there about seven months), an older woman moved in to the room next to mine. By "older," I mean "old enough that she should have been disqualified from residency." Definitely older than my friend Jenny, who'd been forced to move out due to turning 37. She was extremely unfriendly, refusing to speak to anyone except one young guy, another newcomer who'd moved in to the guesthouse around the same time as her. The two of them often ate in her room, and usually stole the rice cookers and kept them up there for days at a time.

I noticed two things: based on the sounds coming through my wall, she watched TV all day long and only left the room to do laundry or steal kitchen equipment. And the TV she watched was mostly porn.

If you've ever watched Japanese porn, you're familiar with the sort of sounds associated with the medium. If you haven't, count yourself lucky that you've never hearn a 75-pound woman scream and beg her partner "Stop! It hurts, it hurts! I'm so embarrassed!" In any case, it's unmistakable.

She'd been living next to me for a week when I heard the equally-unmistakable sounds of people loving. I closed the window to our shared balcony and turned up my music, thinking nothing of it. The young guy she was always speaking to came out of her room the next morning, and I guessed she'd moved into the house because he lived there.

A few nights later, the nocturnal love songs being progressively more metal, I started to get annoyed. Two weeks of it and I was fed up, but I could NOT go up to a Japanese woman and yell, "Stop having such loud loving sex!"

Luckily, she lodged some specious complaint against me- she caught me, god forbid, smoking outside- and guesthouse management called to let me know. I used the opportunity to counter-bitch and said, as nicely as possible, that I was disturbed by how loud her nighttime recreation was and that I didn't like hearing porn all day.

Nonplussed, the employee on the phone said, "Oh, but you must be mistaken. The young man you see in her room is her son."

:psyduck:

I hope that's the story they told management in order to get her a room there, rather than the truth. Please. Please god.

More stories to come!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

And the people involved in this are all full-on law students? Like, they plan to become lawyers, not even just paralegals? In the UK?!

In the US, law students have a rep for being a bit douchebaggy if not outright sociopathic. This kind of batshittery is pretty far from the norm if for no other reason than the typical law school workload. (First-year law students aren't even allowed to work while enrolled by most good schools, from what I gather. Not a law student myself, just have friends who went trough that meat-grinder.)

Also, from a US perspective, "faculty" usually refers to the professors and lecturers, not the students. So every so often your stories seem even more WTF as one imagines tweedy tenured professors getting involved with an improv musical involving terrible legal argument...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

eschaton posted:

And the people involved in this are all full-on law students? Like, they plan to become lawyers, not even just paralegals? In the UK?!

In the US, law students have a rep for being a bit douchebaggy if not outright sociopathic. This kind of batshittery is pretty far from the norm if for no other reason than the typical law school workload. (First-year law students aren't even allowed to work while enrolled by most good schools, from what I gather. Not a law student myself, just have friends who went trough that meat-grinder.)

Also, from a US perspective, "faculty" usually refers to the professors and lecturers, not the students. So every so often your stories seem even more WTF as one imagines tweedy tenured professors getting involved with an improv musical involving terrible legal argument...

We were law students planning to be lawyers mostly in Malaysia or a commonwealth country like Singapore or hong kong (or even better, UK). The Malaysian college was a lot more informal than the uk university, which we would go to in either our second or third year. Only one or two of the lecturers were involved and they were the younger ones. But yes, I doubt any of the older professors in uk (which I studied law under) would take part in this.

Workload was nuts but not unmanageable, I worked during my third and bvc years in uk while going out almost every other night to get sloshed, so I guess that is more us-specific? Also I don't recall we were all douchebags or sociopaths either.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Y'know, the first thing I thought of when I read the words "nocturnal activities" was that she was waking up in the night to take a piss or grab a midnight snack.

I'm fairly sure that wasn't the intention.

Fairly sure.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Why did she need a Malay girl for X part or an Indian guy for Y part? It's pretty bizarre that she was casting by ethnicity like that.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Viola the Mad posted:

Why did she need a Malay girl for X part or an Indian guy for Y part? It's pretty bizarre that she was casting by ethnicity like that.

It's a true story.

Caterwaul
May 4, 2009
Finally got to the end of this thread and what a roller-coaster it is. Uglynoodles and the rest who have added their own stories, you are better human beings than I for not making for the nearest foxhole.
Please share more dorm stories!

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soylent Grun posted:

My Dead Sister Lives In My Head And Is Also My True Soul?
At one point, Sydney had gotten wind that before she was born, her poor mother had had a miscarriage. Immediately, Sydney declared that THE LOST BABY WAS HER TRUE SOUL and that her own real name was actually Courtney, not Sydney (BECAUSE 'COURTNEY' WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BABY'S NAME!!!!!!).

Stottie Kyek posted:

Holy poo poo. How did her parents feel about her talking about the miscarriage like that?

This reminds me that I have a crazy-people story about my parents.

A couple years before I was born, my mother had a baby that was stillborn.

She and my father told me about this when I was in elementary school, and they told me that they'd given me a similar name to the stillborn baby.

They told me that they believed that the baby had died because her soul hadn't yet been ready to live in the world, and so her soul had fled as soon as soon as she was born and therefore she died.

They believed that when I was born, I actually had the same soul as that first baby. So basically I had "killed" their first baby because I wasn't ready to be born yet, but then later on, when my mother got pregnant again, I decided I was finally ready to be born and went along with it.

So basically, according to them, I am my dead sister.

They also told me that I was "psychic" and could "read their minds." They also insisted that I could "astrally project" and told me that my soul traveled around independent of my body.

They have a friend who also believes in this stuff, and they would tell me that her soul was "astrally projecting" itself into our house and doing stuff like "dancing in the potted plants."

When I was a kid, they would hold seances with their friend and would include me and tell me that we were contacting spirits.

I believed this stuff when I was a kid, because, you know, kids basically believe whatever their parents tell them. I mean, I also believed in Santa Claus at this time.

When I got older, I became agnostic leaning towards atheist, so now I basically think this stuff is ridiculous. But at the time I didn't even really question whether it was true.

They also frequently encouraged me to "remember my past lives" and insisted that I'd lived many times before.

They still believe this stuff. They've told me several times that when my mother was pregnant, they used a Ouija board to contact my spirit, and they still believe that they actually talked to my spirit through the Ouija board before I was born. Apparently, before I was born, I told them (through the board) that I would go into politics. Which I did not, but they say that since I'm interested in politics that's close enough and therefore it was obviously me that they were talking to.

Also, they always said that when they were talking to "me" with the Ouija board, I was really stubborn and would sometimes refuse to answer questions. And right after I was born, the first thing the doctor said about me is that I was "stubborn." So they said that's when they "knew" that it was really "me" they'd been talking to, that I was definitely the same spirit from my dead sister and the same spirit they'd talked to with the Ouija board.

I'm not sure where constantly screaming at me and hitting me and once trying to strangle me to death fit into their spiritual views, but like I said, they're crazy.

I guess it does kind of make me think, though, that when I read about this other girl saying that she is her dead sister, my only thought was pretty much "I bet her parents would like that" but then everyone else thought it was totally offensive and horrible for this girl to think that, and that the girl's parents would probably be upset and traumatized to know that she thought she was her dead sister. I guess it goes to show how much I still don't really know how normal people react to things.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

DeseretRain posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. Good job on growing up to not be a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Twiggy Johnson posted:

Holy poo poo. Good job on growing up to not be a lunatic.

Yeah, that's all that can be said about that. Except to add further :catstare:, :staredog: and :stare:.

The worst stories in this thread are the ones involving kids; it's just terrible.

• Locked thread