Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Lovelyn posted:

Hi, big newbie question, and I hope this is the right place to post (the OP mentioned asking for recommendations is okay!).

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set or recommendations for similar product? I'm no culinary expert by any means and I really need a basic starter kit, and I'm not sure where to begin!

I can't imagine that you can get decent quality products at that price. What are you going to do with 12 steak knives and 4 spatulas? A Bagel Holder?

futurebot 2000 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On the other hand... 36 dollars, son!

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Haha yeah I know, I was really just throwing it out there as an example of what I'm looking for (although more than one spatula would be convenient since I'm slow to do dishes sometimes). Do ya'll have any less ridiculous recommendations?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Hey man, you ever pulled a bagel out of the toaster, they're hot as poo poo.

Just cherry pick a few pieces you need. Get a few spoons, turners, a grater, a can opener. You'll be better off with them than 52 pieces of poo poo. You don't need poo poo like bagel holders.

You can even grab a few OXO pieces if you don't mind the handles. Run over a few recipes in your head and ask yourself what spoons/etc you require to make them.

Get a Victorinox chefs knife and paring knife (bread knife if you're cutting bread) until (if) you drop some money on a permanent knife.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2011

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
How much are you willing to spend and what are you looking to do? I'd feel better spending those 36 dollars on a nice chef's knife than on 52 pieces of crap. This will be the most expensive and the most important tool in your kitchen. From the top of my head, here's a list of things I'd buy right now if I would have to start a household from scratch:

- 8 inch chef's knife
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- Bread knife
- Measuring cup
- Digital scale
- Spatula
- Can opener
- Ladle
- Peeler
- Strainer
- Slotted spoon
- Masher
- Grater/slicer combo

I may have forgotten a thing or two, but the point is, you don't need a 52 piece set of which 35 pieces are filler. This would be in the price range of $150 to $200, the knives making up around 50% of the total price. Granted, this is 5x as much as the 52 piece set but it will probably last more 5 times as long and be of decent quality.

edit: tl;dr: ^^^^^^^^^ what she said

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Having all the extra stuff isn't even a free bonus, it is a detriment. You want to be able to find the tool you need easily and quickly, not sort through egg separators and lemon juicers that never get used.

It is all personal preference, but I would replace the masher with a ricer and add a hand mixer and some wooden spoons in the above list.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What about tongs? I have like 4 of them and constantly crave more.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

futurebot 2000 posted:

From the top of my head, here's a list of things I'd buy right now if I would have to start a household from scratch:

- 8 inch chef's knife
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- Bread knife
- Measuring cup
- Digital scale
- Spatula
- Can opener
- Ladle
- Peeler
- Strainer
- Slotted spoon
- Masher
- Grater/slicer combo
In addition to a turner/spatula, I'd get one or more broad wooden spoons and tongs. When I need to stir poo poo around when I'm sautéing or whatever I tend to use a wooden spoon instead of a turner. And I tend to use tongs when I need to manipulate something like a steak in a skillet.

I also can't imagine trying to work with only one cutting board.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Can't get enough! Cash n carry is where I stock up

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Please! Offset spatulas 4 lyfe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Thirding the Swing-A-Way, my parents have been using one just like it for the nearly 30 years. Different brand, but 100% identical otherwise.
As a resolution to my can opener story, I discovered one in my office file cabinet that I had borrowed from a friend about 2 years ago. It turned out to be a Swing-A-Way, the small one in black.

I got a chance to use it today while making slow-cooked chili, and it dominated those cans. So good!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
There's just one place to go for all your spatula needs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbCWmY0eqY

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

As a resolution to my can opener story, I discovered one in my office file cabinet that I had borrowed from a friend about 2 years ago. It turned out to be a Swing-A-Way, the small one in black.

I got a chance to use it today while making slow-cooked chili, and it dominated those cans. So good!

My family has had Swing-A-Way can openers for as long as I can remember. It doesn't do any of that fancy edge rolling or lid holding, but it's by far the easiest to use hand can opener I've tried. Made in USA to boot, though according to people whining on Amazon that may no longer be the case.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Please! Offset spatulas 4 lyfe.

Let's dance.

Actually I used to have an offset spatula but I ruined it and never go around to replacing it. They make excellent tools for spreading tile cement.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like my OXO SteeL better than Swing-a-way. It feels better in my hand.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Awesome, thank you all so much for the advice! Also, are there any specific brands of cookware you strictly stay away from? Most of the OXO stuff is out of price range for right now (I'm a grad student trying to get by without loans, so things are tight).

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Has anybody used the new "French Classic" line of Cuisinart cookware? I'm in the market to buy a few new pots and pans and I'm wondering if these are really worth it over the multiclad pros.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/french_classic_tri_ply_stainless/fct-10.html

I'll probably end up getting most of those pieces except for the dutch oven since I already have a good dutch oven.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Has anyone used "Sabatier" knives? I've been looking to buy a new Chef's Knife for my mom and this one caught my eye and is in my price range.

http://www.sliceandsear.com/k-sabatier-gamme-elegance-chef-cuisine-knife-8/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd get a $30 Forschner or a $100 Miyabe.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Related to can opener and OXO talk: I have tendinits in my right hand and elbow, so using the basic no-frills plastic handle model isn't always possible without a lot of pain. Has anyone used something like this or are there cheap electric models I could look at for once I have a little money?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

My girlfriend wants a KitchenAid Mixer for christmas. Is it possible to go wrong buying one of those?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Lovelyn posted:

Haha yeah I know, I was really just throwing it out there as an example of what I'm looking for (although more than one spatula would be convenient since I'm slow to do dishes sometimes). Do ya'll have any less ridiculous recommendations?

I made you a list. If anyone else has any suggestions to add to my list, just shoot me an email or something, and I'll see what I can do. :)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R3D907YKSJ0AG8

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Dacap posted:

Has anyone used "Sabatier" knives? I've been looking to buy a new Chef's Knife for my mom and this one caught my eye and is in my price range.

http://www.sliceandsear.com/k-sabatier-gamme-elegance-chef-cuisine-knife-8/

I have that exact knife, or something remarkably close to it, by Sabatier.

They're very good knives, keep their edge well and will do all the things you want it to do.

One small complaint is that the blade is pretty straight, making 'rocking' the knife to quickly cut stuff a little harder than, say, a stardard Wusthoff. A niggle is that there is a relatively hard 90 degree angle between the heft and the pommel, which can start to irritate the outside of your index finger if you're using it for a long time. That time, however, is in the 1+ hour so it's not too bad.

Did you try one in hand, did your mom? I find it hard to buy knives that I haven't personally handled. I have a Wusthoff and that Sabatier, my sister has a Wusthoff but a size smaller, and other friends of mine have different ones again. I think it's a lot about personal preference and how the blade feels to you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fists Up posted:

My girlfriend wants a KitchenAid Mixer for christmas. Is it possible to go wrong buying one of those?

The smallest (motor) ones don't have enough power to do huge batches of dough if she is into baking. There are two styles, tilt and bowl-lift. The bowl-lift style is more "professional".

I have a feeling goons have gone over this in very fine detail at some point in the past, maybe you can even find it in this thread.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
And if you're going to buy a KitchenAid, buy it from their factory outlet. Exact same mixers, great discounts.

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/more-ways-to-shop-1/outlet-2/factory-refurbished-3/102020034/

And buy a bowl-lift, tilts are stupid. You can lift the bowl closer to the whip for things like mashers where it doesn't always pick up hunks at the bottom. Can't do that with a tilt.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2011

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

dino. posted:

I made you a list. If anyone else has any suggestions to add to my list, just shoot me an email or something, and I'll see what I can do. :)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R3D907YKSJ0AG8

Wow, THANK YOU! This is so incredibly useful (and thoughtful)! Will definitely add these to my holiday wish lists and then pick up the rest after! :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fists Up posted:

Good deal at Amazon today. Here's the SA thread with the links

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Xposting from the Industry thread, I suppose: In buying an ISI whipper, do I want one that can do hot and cold, or is the standard going to be all I need to make flash infusions, silly foams, and doing whippits behind the bar?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard ricola (or someone else maybe) say that they got the bigger one and regretted it because it takes like 4 chargers to do anything. I have the old half pint size and that works for everything I do. Also, there's minimum amount of liquid to really get it to work right, so again if you size it too big you may limit yourself. Unless its for restaurant use, in which case you may want the big one.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'll use it at work to do my bad science sunday experiments, but I'm basically curious to see how essential warm foams are versus room temp/chilled. Also I'm gonna do mad whippits behind the bar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what the difference is in the dispensers for warm stuff. On mine, everything the liquid touches is metal, so I don't see why I couldn't do warm liquids. Except for the nozzle I guess, but that's replaceable.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Can anyone point me to a good sharpening stone I can use with a variety of midline kitchen knives? Or should I dig through the knife thread in TFR?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Planet X posted:

Can anyone point me to a good sharpening stone I can use with a variety of midline kitchen knives? Or should I dig through the knife thread in TFR?

the old knife thread said get a norton oil stone. I bought one and some oil off amazon for like 20-30 bucks, it works well. I don't know what I'm doing though so my edges last like a day. ugh

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Planet X posted:

I've been highly satisfied with my Victorinox 1000/3000 grit stone. No oil or water.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Where's a good resource for learning how to sharpen knives? It seems like a cool thing to know how to do and it can't be that hard, I bet it's just about getting a lot of experience along with a few bits of technical stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that works well for most knives. The only thing it doesn't work well on is my Shuns, which are made of some incredibly hard steel. It's also fairly idiot proof to use.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Kenning posted:

Where's a good resource for learning how to sharpen knives? It seems like a cool thing to know how to do and it can't be that hard, I bet it's just about getting a lot of experience along with a few bits of technical stuff.
I've found this article to be very helpful and in-depth about sharpening. It cover fundamental principles, a variety of different techniques, sharpening systems, and grits.

If you're buying sharpening equipment, I have found the Spyderco Sharpmaker is easier to use and gives a better edge than freehand sharpening with a stone; it's easier to hold a blade vertical than maintain a 20 degree angle by feel. Plus the stones are of good quality.

The only catch with the Sharpmaker is that the coarsest stone is medium-grit, so it's a pain to change bevel angles or reshape blades without a little trickery. You'll want to get some coarse wet-dry sandpaper, cut it down to wrap around the rods, and hold it in place with binder clips. Oh, and buy the ultra-fine stones for the Sharpmaker: they give a shaving-sharp edge to things.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
Continuing the can opener discussion, does anyone have any recommendations for lever-type can openers? I bought one from a Japanese dollar store and, although I like it a lot, it rusts easily because of the material it's made out of.

I hate cleaning conventional can openers. They have all those small spaces and gears and get rusted to hell.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Acetone posted:

If you're buying sharpening equipment, I have found the Spyderco Sharpmaker is easier to use and gives a better edge than freehand sharpening with a stone; it's easier to hold a blade vertical than maintain a 20 degree angle by feel. Plus the stones are of good quality.
The main problem with the Sharpmaker is that it can only sharpen to precisely two angles, and the rods it come with aren't really abrasive enough if your knife isn't already sharpened to one of those two angles and you need to reprofile it.

If you have trouble keeping a consistent angle freehand, get a piece of scrap wood or plastic or some drat thing that's big enough to hold your stone. Measure the length. Figure out how high you need to raise one end of it to give you the angle you want---20 degrees or whatever. Put stuff under one end until it is that high. Put your stone on the inclined surface.

You've just made something that works the same way a Sharpmaker does, only you need to keep the blade horizontal when you're sharpening instead of having to keep it vertical.

Here's a `fancy' version of the above I made with some scrap wood, including a riser that's pre-drilled to a few common sharpening angles. That's an 8" Norton stone sitting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

The main problem with the Sharpmaker is that it can only sharpen to precisely two angles, and the rods it come with aren't really abrasive enough if your knife isn't already sharpened to one of those two angles and you need to reprofile it.

If you have trouble keeping a consistent angle freehand, get a piece of scrap wood or plastic or some drat thing that's big enough to hold your stone. Measure the length. Figure out how high you need to raise one end of it to give you the angle you want---20 degrees or whatever. Put stuff under one end until it is that high. Put your stone on the inclined surface.

You've just made something that works the same way a Sharpmaker does, only you need to keep the blade horizontal when you're sharpening instead of having to keep it vertical.

Here's a `fancy' version of the above I made with some scrap wood, including a riser that's pre-drilled to a few common sharpening angles. That's an 8" Norton stone sitting on it.

I did this, works great.

• Locked thread