Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

QueerPope posted:

Perhaps he was assassinated in his sleep by some agents of Derse? Jack Noir ruining stuff for us once again?

It was CD. He finally did something right and didn't get killed right afterwards. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
If it's just the case that it's like Aradia, I don't see why the Prospitians would say the game is lost. The Prospitians have a pretty good understanding of how the game works and even knowledge of the future, according to the book you find in the in the Flash game before you find the dead parents.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think it might be a hint of a callback.

Maybe his body will be put in the core of the planet, not unlike Aradia's was.

You don't need spoilers for speculation

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Cyrai posted:

If it's just the case that it's like Aradia, I don't see why the Prospitians would say the game is lost. The Prospitians have a pretty good understanding of how the game works and even knowledge of the future, according to the book you find in the in the Flash game before you find the dead parents.

Would it just be a Prospitian thing? Because Jack never seemed to catch on to the whole idea of dream selves.

Thinking back to the Rise Up flash, did we ever find out just how much WV knows about god tier mechanics or even the idea of dream selves? He seemed awfully distraught despite having seen John as god tier after the stabbing (e: but before his exile). Maybe he didn't recognize cause and effect, or even properly understand the order of events?

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 26, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Can't Jane--being the Hero of Life and all--just snog him alive?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Thinking back to the Rise Up flash, did we ever find out just how much WV knows about god tier mechanics or even the idea of dream selves? He seemed awfully distraught despite having seen John as god tier after the stabbing (e: but before his exile). Maybe he didn't recognize cause and effect, or even properly understand the order of events?

The windy boy is dead. The tragedy is overwhelming. All hope is lost.

Oh well. Time to get out of this tin can!

His line of thinking was backwards. He saw the apprentice thief trying to steal his ring first, then saw him on the monitor years in the future, and didn't even realize they were the same boy until when he went back to talk to John while LOWAS was on fire.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 26, 2011

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Roger Explosion posted:

That's what I was thinking.

Also, what's the title we have left again? From the dead trolls we have the spares rogue, page, prince, and one other. So Page of Hope, and I dunno, Rogue of Void and Prince of Heart?

What was the other one again?

Oh yeah, thief. I wonder if she'll be the Thief of Life

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Well at least she told him right at the start of the big day, rather than waiting until later so some absurd contrived tragedy of missed communications can have him approaching death unawares. Now he'll see it coming head on. Much better!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Starmaker posted:

Also, what's the title we have left again? From the dead trolls we have the spares rogue, page, prince, and one other. So Page of Hope, and I dunno, Rogue of Void and Prince of Heart?

Her intro page hints at her being the Maid of Life.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
For what it's worth, they didn't say the game is lost.

Update posted:

The Page is lost.
Our hope is lost.

This is just a reference to Jake (presumably) being the Page of Hope.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Starmaker posted:

I like the idea of Mom (or Bro!) being the Thief of Heart. Jane is the Maid of Life anyways.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, they didn't say the game is lost.

This is just a reference to Jake (presumably) being the Page of Hope.

I think this would require someone uniquely qualified to recognise when all hope is lost.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Actually it really strongly hinted at her being an heiress. I actually don't remember the specific line in UU's log, was she outright called a maid? Cus we already have a maid, don't need two maids (but you can always have lots of seers and knights, of course).

Actually I really like Thief of Heart, too.

e: nope just hero of life. I guess that "Maiden voyage" thing might be a hint, but who knows!

Remember back when everyone thought Jade would be the seer and Rose the witch? And then that didn't happen? Good times.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Is it me, or does the thing that Dream Jake is lying on look an awful lot like a god tier resurrection platform? The color is kinda wrong though, unless Hope and Light share colors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Starmaker posted:

Actually it really strongly hinted at her being an heiress. I actually don't remember the specific line in UU's log, was she outright called a maid? Cus we already have a maid, don't need two maids (but you can always have lots of seers and knights, of course).

Actually I really like Thief of Heart, too.
Well, we will find out sooner or later, but at least Jake's "Page of Hope" matches the pattern observed in his introduction page (which had HOPE and PAGE capitalized at the end). Going by that same pattern, Jane would be MAIDEN (Maid) and LIFE.

Also definitely thinking Life powers are going to come into play here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Glory of Arioch posted:

Is it me, or does the thing that Dream Jake is lying on look an awful lot like a god tier resurrection platform? The color is kinda wrong though, unless Hope and Light share colors.

You mean Hope and Time, right? Because the Hero of Light color is orange, not red.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Well, we will find out sooner or later, but at least Jake's "Page of Hope" matches the pattern observed in his introduction page (which had HOPE and PAGE capitalized at the end). Going by that same pattern, Jane would be MAIDEN (Maid) and LIFE.

Oh hey, it did have PAGE in his intro, I didn't realize that. Ok yeah that's some pretty strong foreshadowing, thanks for pointing that out.

I just thought Thief of Life would be a pretty useful power to have!

e: I wonder what the hell hope's symbol is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

King of Solomon posted:

You mean Hope and Time, right? Because the Hero of Light color is orange, not red.

It's not red, it's more of a burnt orange. Check http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005030 for a comparison. The colors on the Hero of Light suit and the colors on the slab Jake's being carried on are just slightly different.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Glory of Arioch posted:

It's not red, it's more of a burnt orange. Check http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005030 for a comparison. The colors on the Hero of Light suit and the colors on the slab Jake's being carried on are just slightly different.

Here's a more direct comparison. Look at Vriska's sleeve and the slab next to it. That's a very significant difference in shade.

Though I will admit it's not really red, it's a lot closer to red than it is Hero of Light Orange.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It could also just be a Prospit color. It's pretty close to the deeper oranges used in shadows, especially on the chain to the moon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Glory of Arioch posted:

It could also just be a Prospit color. It's pretty close to the deeper oranges used in shadows, especially on the chain to the moon.

I think that's a lot more likely, yeah. Hell, they may still drop him on the Hero of Hope slab, this could just be a funeral procession thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roger Explosion posted:

Do we even know if Life can do that? The kiss Feferi did was just your standard way to cause a dream self to take the main body's place that any player can do.

It does nicely mirror Jade being the only kid player whose Dream Self died first though, maybe he is gonna prototype his dream-corpse too.

Sucks for Jake, he hates monsters and now his dreams are gonna be all horrorterror all the time

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

I just thought of a question, are the players all supposed to reach God Tier? Like in a normal, successful game? I remember Hussie's musings on behind-the-scenes stuff on his forumspring, and he'd mentioned that it seems God Tier was how players were "supposed" to reach the battlefield for the final confrontation, and that mythically they were all gods of the universe they create. Originally it seemed like only a few were ever going to reach God Tier - Vriska and John. But then all the kids did. Of course there's no way to know, but what do you guys think, do you imagine the new batch all reaching godhood?

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I really hope Bro turns out to be the Prince of Heart. It's just too fabulous a title to pass up. Also, Princess of Heart would be just a bit too obnoxious. (Although I can easily imagine kid!Mom saying "I'm a priness *princess"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

QueerPope posted:

I really hope Bro turns out to be the Prince of Heart. It's just too fabulous a title to pass up. Also, Princess of Heart would be just a bit too obnoxious. (Although I can easily imagine kid!Mom saying "I'm a priness *princess"

Not to mention that "princess" is two syllables.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Starmaker posted:

I just thought of a question, are the players all supposed to reach God Tier? Like in a normal, successful game? I remember Hussie's musings on behind-the-scenes stuff on his forumspring, and he'd mentioned that it seems God Tier was how players were "supposed" to reach the battlefield for the final confrontation, and that mythically they were all gods of the universe they create. Originally it seemed like only a few were ever going to reach God Tier - Vriska and John. But then all the kids did. Of course there's no way to know, but what do you guys think, do you imagine the new batch all reaching godhood?

I only recall it mentioned somewhere being said that dying on your quest bed was a more 'traditional' way to get to the battlefield, specifically in comparison to how dream John got there via falling moon. So I assume there's still other ways to get there, and that reaching God Tier still may not be an a"always" thing to happen.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Well, Vriska says she's pretty sure they were all supposed to kill each other and reach God Tier but Karkat was too good of a leader. I got the impression that players were supposed to reach God Tier by the time they won.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Midnight Raider posted:

I only recall it mentioned somewhere being said that dying on your quest bed was a more 'traditional' way to get to the battlefield, specifically in comparison to how dream John got there via falling moon. So I assume there's still other ways to get there, and that reaching God Tier still may not be an a"always" thing to happen.

All of the Trolls eventually got to the Battlefield, though only Vriska was God-Tier. There apparently are other ways to get there, though it would make sense from a gameplay standpoint that reaching god-tier is a thing that would be the most beneficial for everyone, and may in fact be encouraged by the game..

KoB
May 1, 2009
Didnt they say somewhere that there are supposed to be many God Tiers? I think they mentioned it when the Trolls defeated the black king by gaming the system when it shouldnt have been nearly that hard.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Oh hey. It wasn't until you relinked this picture that I made the connection that the slab he's resting on is probably the in-moon slabs Aradia, Dave, and Rose went god-tier on.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Bobulus posted:

Oh hey. It wasn't until you relinked this picture that I made the connection that the slab he's resting on is probably the in-moon slabs Aradia, Dave, and Rose went god-tier on.

Which would incidentally make him the first Prospit player to reach the God Tiers in this manner.

H.R. Hufflepuff fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 26, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

KoB posted:

Didnt they say somewhere that there are supposed to be many God Tiers? I think they mentioned it when the Trolls defeated the black king by gaming the system when it shouldnt have been nearly that hard.

The god tiers are just sort of a second echeladder leveling system, so you reach the top of the regular ladder, go god-tier and then begin leveling up again as a god. Vriska got about half-way up her god-tier echeladder since she got a bunch of experience from killing the Black King.

Or did you mean that multiple people are supposed to go god-tier? Kind of ambiguous there- it's implied that players probably will as a part of their growth but the trolls kind skipped all that nonsense.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mazerunner posted:

The god tiers are just sort of a second echeladder leveling system, so you reach the top of the regular ladder, go god-tier and then begin leveling up again as a god. Vriska got about half-way up her god-tier echeladder since she got a bunch of experience from killing the Black King.

Where does it talk about this? I thought God-Tier was just one level above all others, where you have increased abilities and can only die a just or heroic death.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Where does it talk about this? I thought God-Tier was just one level above all others, where you have increased abilities and can only die a just or heroic death.

Vriska said in [S] John: Enter Village that there were multiple god tier levels, and also implies that despite what she says, she didn't actually get all the levels. She also says (in a different update) John would end up stronger than her, presumably because he goes further in the god tier echeladder.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

tentawesome posted:

Well, Vriska says she's pretty sure they were all supposed to kill each other and reach God Tier but Karkat was too good of a leader. I got the impression that players were supposed to reach God Tier by the time they won.

I thought the real problem was that they just brute-forced their way through the game instead of actually trying to learn the mechanics and the lessons it was teaching so that more of them would go God-Tier and the like. I'm pretty sure Vriska only went God Tier because she was so much of a powergamer that she had to reach the God Tiers in order to feel like a winner. The others just killed everything that got in their way and didn't give a drat about anything else. I'm pretty sure someone (Doc Scratch? Someone like that) states they just sucked at everything besides killing, not because Karkat was too good of a leader and stopped them from killing each other.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 26, 2011

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Vriska only went God Tier because she was essentially forced to. Aradia forced her hand, and Vriska directed Tavros to the quest cocoon because she was already bleeding to death.

The implication seemed to be based on conversations later on with Vriska and Terezi that despite their murderous inclinations, killing themselves was still something they weren't prepared to do. I strongly suspect this was in part due to skipping their individual quests in favor of powerleveling and reaching the end-game as fast as possible.

I got the impression that the individual player quests in part served the purpose of preparing each player to accept their deaths on their quest beds so they could achieve godhood. This is mostly conjecture on my part, but I think the conversation dead-John has with dead-Vriska regarding his Denizen supports this too.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Boneless Jogger posted:

Vriska said in [S] John: Enter Village that there were multiple god tier levels, and also implies that despite what she says, she didn't actually get all the levels. She also says (in a different update) John would end up stronger than her, presumably because he goes further in the god tier echeladder.

I'm quite possibly wrong, but I've always had the feeling that that's been redacted, more or less. At least in the link, Vriska just barely mentions there being more than one, and aside from maybe the other update, everybody seems to treat God Tier as a single, ultimate upgrade. It's possible that nobody mentions the multiple levels because hardly anbyody gets to God Tier, but I think Hussie might have abandoned that barely mentioned idea

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

closeted republican posted:

I thought the real problem was that they just brute-forced their way through the game instead of actually trying to learn the mechanics and the lessons it was teaching so that more of them would go God-Tier and the like. I'm pretty sure Vriska only went God Tier because she was so much of a powergamer that she had to reach the God Tiers in order to feel like a winner. The others just killed everything that got in their way and didn't give a drat about anything else. I'm pretty sure someone (Doc Scratch? Someone like that) states they just sucked at everything besides killing, not because Karkat was too good of a leader and stopped them from killing each other.

I seemed to have misremembered the log, as it turns out. She just says that they should've taken the teams more seriously (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005368) so that maybe more of their players had reached God Tier. That plays into the fact that they weren't willing to play the game correctly, though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cyrai posted:

I'm quite possibly wrong, but I've always had the feeling that that's been redacted, more or less. At least in the link, Vriska just barely mentions there being more than one, and aside from maybe the other update, everybody seems to treat God Tier as a single, ultimate upgrade. It's possible that nobody mentions the multiple levels because hardly anbyody gets to God Tier, but I think Hussie might have abandoned that barely mentioned idea
I think Doc Scratch mentions that one of the reasons Vriska even stands a chance against Jack is because of all the XP she got from getting the killing blow on the black king.

Additionally this tells us that Homestuck has a lovely experience system.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Seoinin posted:

I think Doc Scratch mentions that one of the reasons Vriska even stands a chance against Jack is because of all the XP she got from getting the killing blow on the black king.

Additionally this tells us that Homestuck has a lovely experience system.

Andrew said one time (after the strife against the first guardian powered imp with Jade) that experience is divided depending on who participates in the battle, much like many rpgs. Which is why John got two level ups after beating his first imp, and Jade got one. (since becsprite was with her) So it wasn't really Vriska getting the killing blow rather than being the only one who can still gain levels at that point. But really, that's such a retarded detail to sperg out about that I feel ashamed just for bringing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Killing blow probably nets more XP however, I'm pretty sure Vriska dealt (stole) the killing blow on the Black King for that reason. Or hey maybe it works like that Sgrub and not Sburb.