Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dolash posted:

You guys are getting chewed up. At this rate you'll win but you'll come out smoking, for sure. I don't even know if there's much you can do about it, it's just a weapon war - you're blasting each other whenever you can, I'm missing it if there's anything deeper going on.

Do something about that gauss rifle, though. It's cracking holes in you guys and it's only a matter of time until a head-cap.

They can focus fire... :downs: Maybe I'm just jaded from reading this whole thread from page one up to this point, but goons seem to have some aversion to focusing fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Dolash posted:

You guys are getting chewed up. At this rate you'll win but you'll come out smoking, for sure. I don't even know if there's much you can do about it, it's just a weapon war - you're blasting each other whenever you can, I'm missing it if there's anything deeper going on.

Do something about that gauss rifle, though. It's cracking holes in you guys and it's only a matter of time until a head-cap.

The gauss rifle is down and we've got at least one turn, maybe two, until the other Gauss (number 3) comes into play

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Should the Bombardier have taken a penalty to one of its shots for splitting fire? Or does it not because it's indirect fire or something?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ No, since it was only shooting at the Awesome.

Guitar_Hero posted:

The gauss rifle is down and we've got at least one turn, maybe two, until the other Gauss (number 3) comes into play

Number 3's been scoring pretty reliably at long range.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
^^^You have it listed as #4 shooting and not #3, which probably led to the confusion.

While it looks like the Goons are getting trashed, overall this battle is progressing quite nicely. Both the Mongoose and Hermes lost half their firepower this turn, and the 60G is dead. Meanwhile the rest of the enemies are staying far away from optimal range. You guys are taking way more damage than you should be, but as long as it is the Awesome getting shot it is ok.

Just mop-up the scrubs and remove the remaining enemies one by one.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They can focus fire... :downs: Maybe I'm just jaded from reading this whole thread from page one up to this point, but goons seem to have some aversion to focusing fire.

Why, it is almost like they are behaving like the Clanners some of them dislike so much, quiaff? :) :edi:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

What does 'PPC hit' mean? I'm not seeing any mention of damage to it in the mech list; Its range doesn't seem to be affected, either.

Does it take several hits to experience negative effects for certain weapons?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Gimmick Account posted:

What does 'PPC hit' mean? I'm not seeing any mention of damage to it in the mech list; Its range doesn't seem to be affected, either.

Does it take several hits to experience negative effects for certain weapons?

Any critical hit knocks out a weapon. It's just that the awesome has three of them, so now it has two to fire next round.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Any critical hit knocks out a weapon. It's just that the awesome has three of them, so now it has two to fire next round.

Oooh, okay. I was confused by the mech list, which still showed it as having three PPCs. All cleared up, then! :)

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Allright lancemates tell me who you want me to target this next round since my orders are pretty easy.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

PoptartsNinja posted:

Critical Damage: Right Upper Arm Actuator Destroyed!

What does this actually mean in practical terms? Reduced chance to hit with punches or weapons on that arm? (not that I have any weapons on it but anyway).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

When the Awesome went down and the lights started kicking, I could only think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTR-cG5W1I

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Perestroika posted:

When the Awesome went down and the lights started kicking, I could only think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTR-cG5W1I

Now I want the light mechs to win.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

ActionZero posted:

What does this actually mean in practical terms? Reduced chance to hit with punches or weapons on that arm? (not that I have any weapons on it but anyway).

Exactly. You will also do reduced damage with punches from that arm.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All right, moving towards the left side of the map should keep us out of trouble from the other GR while we mop up the rest of these lights. The combination of buildings and woods should make it pretty hard to draw a bead.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Until you can use the modifiers in your favor, I recommend not using 'break in the weather' until you guys can move reliably to get high modifiers to your to hit and limit theirs (i.e.: running full tilt while they just scooted at the beginning of the turn). DI is right - use the buildings and woods to limit the artillery's success for the next few turns and, in my opinion, lure them into the kill zone behind the warehouse.

Oh, also...don't bunch up..

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'd say this is the turn to finish off those lights, and I agree, get behind that warehouse for cover. At the very least you buy a couple turns of breathing room and put an end to the indirect fire, the 8 Urbie, which doesn't seem to have a gauss, can be disposed of at leisure as it tries to run up the pavement toward you, and your own advance will be shielded for the most part.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

ActionZero posted:

normally if you lose one arm actuator you get a +2 to hit if you lose 2 actuators that goes up to +4 for all weapons in that arm. Also losing a hand acutator means you get a +1 to hit when punching.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Sorry for yet another rules question (and I don't know why I didn't notice this before) but are you using a house rule to add a unit's movement to its target number for a piloting skill roll?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

^^^You have it listed as #4 shooting and not #3, which probably led to the confusion.

Whoops, fixed.

Carbolic posted:

Sorry for yet another rules question (and I don't know why I didn't notice this before) but are you using a house rule to add a unit's movement to its target number for a piloting skill roll?

That's not a house rule. The further a `Mech moves, the higher its piloting test (which is why I don't like penalizing lights in any way on piloting tests, since they're going to be falling down anyway if they take 20+ damage in a turn. Except the Urbanmech).

Arm actuators aren't bad. Shoulder actuators are. Fortunately, the Ostroc's arms are pretty vestigial.

quote:

Hi [PoptartsNinja]

I like this one enough that I'm forwarding it to my fact-checking team, to make sure you haven't done anything that would break BattleTech. If it passes that hurdle, congratulations! It's almost certainly a sale. If it does pass continuity, that's when I'll generate the contract.

~ [BattleCorps]

YES!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

YES!

This is loving awesome.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I assume that's good news, but who or what is BattleCorps, and what's being sold?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
That is very good news PTN.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

I assume that's good news, but who or what is BattleCorps, and what's being sold?

I wrote a short Battletech story for them, for publishing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That's AWESOME!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
sweet battlecorps is the only canon fiction source now since the novels have been stopped. Hopefully you can link us when it goes through!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Congratulations PTN. Can you give us a sneak peak? ;)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Congrats PTN!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Man, do I ever feel proud that I am the one who mentioned in this thread to you that they were actively looking for submissions. Welcome and good job- they do not just take every submission that bats its eyes seductively at their inboxes!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 26, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Best of luck with the story! It'd be awesome if you actually got something out of the thread like that.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Fingers crossed for you, PTN!

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not a house rule. The further a `Mech moves, the higher its piloting test (which is why I don't like penalizing lights in any way on piloting tests, since they're going to be falling down anyway if they take 20+ damage in a turn. Except the Urbanmech).

Is this new in Total Warfare? The BMR:R table for PSRs only has your own movement under the headings "Skidding Movement" and "Building Movement," not as a general modifier.

Congrats on the Battlecorps good news!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Keep up the good work, PTN!

(Also, let us see the story...):ssh:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hi [PoptartsNinja]

I like this one enough that I'm forwarding it to my fact-checking team, to make sure you haven't done anything that would break BattleTech. If it passes that hurdle, congratulations! It's almost certainly a sale. If it does pass continuity, that's when I'll generate the contract.

~ [BattleCorps]

I like pretending GLaDOS is the one sending this message to PTN.

Congrats on this, you're one more step to being too good for us.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This is outstanding news, PTN. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. If you haven't already you should send them a link to this thread to show them you can shake things up story wise and don't need to rely on paint by numbers plotting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on making it this far in the submission process, PTN. I hope they accept it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Congrats man!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Trast posted:

This is outstanding news, PTN. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. If you haven't already you should send them a link to this thread to show them you can shake things up story wise and don't need to rely on paint by numbers plotting.

Maybe do the same thing the Matul Remit guy did and give them a link that only shows your own posts and cuts out all the chatter inbetween. That's probably easier to get into than an almost 500 page-strong thread.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

YES!

Alright, PTN! That's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Congratulations on the good news! I'll be sure to look out for your submission when it gets published.

PoptartsNinja posted:

O Orion
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 0811!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at 4 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): Rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/5 armor, 0/5 structure remains)!
- Fires LRM-15 at 4 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): Rolled 8, 9 missiles hit Right Torso (0/8 armor, 6/7 structure remains (Critical Chance), Right Leg (3/7 armor remains)!
- Gains 9 heat, sinks 10!

G Gladiator
- Fires PPC at 4 Urbanmech (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remains)! Critical Chance!
Gains 11 heat, sinks 13!

Was this intended to be at the same mech? If so it should have lost the RT entirely and had 4 damage transfer to the CT. Nice clustering though.

• Locked thread