Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I did it with 0 painkillers and the best part: My whiney cousin who just gave birth was carrying on and on about how hard birth is so I turned to her at the family dinner (the night after the insertion) and said really loudly.

"Yeah, well I had a piece of metal shoved UP there yesterday and you don't hear me bitching. You think it hurt to get something to fall out? Try that in reverse without the epidural."

That shut her up. :smug:

Uuh yeah getting an IUD is pretty painful but I don't think the two are really comparable given an iud insertion at most might take half an hour (if it's difficult, like mine was), and the thing is about the size of a housekey.

Unless this was a sarcastic post and I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Moto Punch posted:

Uuh yeah getting an IUD is pretty painful but I don't think the two are really comparable given an iud insertion at most might take half an hour (if it's difficult, like mine was), and the thing is about the size of a housekey.

Unless this was a sarcastic post and I'm missing something.

To be fair, no one wants to hear about the extensive details someone's childbirth at dinner. No one.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Kerfuffle posted:

To be fair, no one wants to hear about the extensive details someone's childbirth at dinner. No one.

Or see the photos on facebook.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I know this has already been discussed, but just for anyone else reading: If you go to a place that prescribes prescription painkillers for an IUD insertion, you should probably look elsewhere for care. I have never, ever heard of that before, and frankly it's crazy. That is NOT what prescription strength pain medication is supposed to be for.

I took ibuprofen before my insertion. There was a few minutes where the pain made me gasp (it took a bit longer because there was a NP student watching) and some cramping later on, but I went to work an hour later and pulled an 8 hour shift without needing any more pain medication. By the end of the night my cramps were gone.

Being on Vicodin for more than one day (which is seriously crazy for just an IUD) is really shady and I would question the care received at that facility.

Finally, having your cervix dilated to 10cm shoving something the size of a melon out of your vagina is way more painful than having a small implant placed and having it dilated to less than the width of a pencil. Unless, like someone else said, I'm totally missing something.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
It was sarcastic. I was just trying to shut her up and stop talking about tearing and crowning while we were eating. Or ever, no one wants to hear about that who isn't the doctor who you are seeing for your obstetrical care.

IUD still hurt like a bitch but one of the best investments I ever made, in two years I've already made all the money back that would of gone to monthly pills/condoms/morning after pills when I forget the other two. Just for that reason it's the best option out there.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Koivunen posted:

Being on Vicodin for more than one day (which is seriously crazy for just an IUD) is really shady and I would question the care received at that facility.

I was on Vicodin for more than one day once. But it was for 2nd and 3rd degree burns, which seriously, seriously hurt. But, I don't think it was over a week.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Geolicious posted:

I was on Vicodin for more than one day once. But it was for 2nd and 3rd degree burns, which seriously, seriously hurt. But, I don't think it was over a week.

Yeah, more than one day of Vicodin isn't really that shady if you have a condition that warrants it. I think I got at least a week's worth of it after I had my wisdom teeth removed. And I definitely needed most of it.

I've never had one, but IUD insertion doesn't really seem like one of those conditions. If someone's really in that much pain, I'd kind of wonder if something went wrong during or after the procedure.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

The thing is, everyone's pain threshold and insertion experience is different and honestly you're being a bit of an rear end in a top hat if you say "I got through an IUD insertion fine with just ibuprofen so everyone should be able to". There is actually no evidence that ibuprofen does anything to help pain at insertion or make insertion more tolerable. It likely only helps with the cramps afterwards. And a patient who is in less pain and more relaxed may also make for an easier insertion. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find a doctor's office that doesn't take their patients pain seriously to be much sketchier than one that gives 1-2 days of pain medication for a procedure that is painful enough for some people that it causes them to pass out or vomit when performed without medication.

For the record, I did not have vicodin or anything similar for either my first insertion or my removal/insertion experience with my Mirenas (though after ~15 min of agony I was given lidocaine injections for the removal/insertion). If I had it to do over again, I might ask for something stronger though. The only thing I gained by toughing it out was an aversion to having my cervix messed with and a fear of what my next removal will be like. A couple of vicodin for a legitimately painful experience is not going to make someone an addict and acting like everyone should deal with pain because you did is ridiculous.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Sorry to disrupt painkiller chat, but I have a question. I'm on Cerazette and the pack is structured so that you follow a line as you take the pills day by day, starting on the top row and going down on the right hand side, then the left and so on. I'm a doofus and just took the pills out of order. I took the Sunday one meant for next week instead of the Monday one. Is this going to be problematic or am I okay since I'm pretty vigilant about taking the pills on time every day?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Grushenka posted:

Sorry to disrupt painkiller chat, but I have a question. I'm on Cerazette and the pack is structured so that you follow a line as you take the pills day by day, starting on the top row and going down on the right hand side, then the left and so on. I'm a doofus and just took the pills out of order. I took the Sunday one meant for next week instead of the Monday one. Is this going to be problematic or am I okay since I'm pretty vigilant about taking the pills on time every day?

The tablets are all identical, so you can take them out of order.

klocks
Apr 7, 2008
I hate to ask this question because I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in the 66 pages of text before this, but I honestly just don't have the time to go back and read it all. That being said, I would REALLY appreciate an answer if anyone has any insight into my situation:

My GF is on the pill. She wasn't great about it last month and as a result had some spotting randomly. Then she had her period starting 11/10-11/14 (might be a day sooner). She came to visit me the following weekend (11/18-11/19) and we had sex multiple times each day. She left and she started to notice spotting as early as Tuesday (brown), and then said that she got some serious spotting on that Friday (serious enough that she had to use a tampon). She says that she has been really good about taking her pill recently and maybe has only taken 1 off-schedule (that probably means 6-7 hours late). What do you guys think the cause is? Should I be concerned? I'm paranoid when it comes to pregnancy, so I just wanted an honest, informed answer about what the most likely cause is.

Thanks in advance.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
She's spotting because her hormones are messed up and being jerked around.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I'm getting a Mirena within a week. However, due to work I think it is going to end up being inserted a day or two after my period is over. :ohdear: Does anyone have any idea of how much this is gonna suck? My doctor was pretty adamant about trying to get it while I was still on my period, but I can't miss work :(

edit: she also mentioned something about a cervical block if needed, is this the local anesthetic shot?

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2011

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

eggrolled posted:

I'm getting a Mirena within a week. However, due to work I think it is going to end up being inserted a day or two after my period is over. :ohdear: Does anyone have any idea of how much this is gonna suck? My doctor was pretty adamant about trying to get it while I was still on my period, but I can't miss work :(

edit: she also mentioned something about a cervical block if needed, is this the local anesthetic shot?

I think so. I had to make my appointment well in advance and was supposed to schedule it for when my period was due - which was a bit of a crapshoot, since I'd recently come off the pill. I thought my period had started when I went in to get it inserted, but it turns out it was just random spotting and my cervix refused to budge - I could have come back later, but the appointments at family planning are really hard to get, I would have had to wait another 1-3 months and I was over using condoms after coming off the pill. They did the injection, my cervix relaxed and they were able to insert the IUD - The doc tells me this only works about 50% of the time. There are also women who go to have the IUD inserted while not on their periods that have no trouble at all, it all depends on how your cervix is feeling that day I suppose. I think it's also good to just try and stay relaxed while the doc is poking around in there - luckily they stationed a nurse up by my upper half during the procedure, I guess for the sole purpose of chatting to me to keep me distracted/relaxed while the doc poked around. Was a really good idea.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

eggrolled posted:

I have no basis for comparison, since I've only had it inserted once, but I switched from Depo to Mirena, which meant that I couldn't have it inserted while I was on period becuase I didn't/don't have them. My OB just told me to take some painkillers beforehand to try and lessen the pain, and as far as I can tell my experience was pretty comparable to most of the ladies here who, presumably, got theirs while on their periods. Either way, it hurts like a bitch for about 5 minutes, but then you're fine, pretty much.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My gyno was explaining the procedure to me and said it just made it a tad easier for her if I were on my period because the cervix is more open, but it wasn't going to be a huge deal if I wasn't. She said it would still be about the same amount of discomfort for a bit.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

For the record, I did not have vicodin or anything similar for either my first insertion or my removal/insertion experience with my Mirenas (though after ~15 min of agony I was given lidocaine injections for the removal/insertion). If I had it to do over again, I might ask for something stronger though. The only thing I gained by toughing it out was an aversion to having my cervix messed with and a fear of what my next removal will be like. A couple of vicodin for a legitimately painful experience is not going to make someone an addict and acting like everyone should deal with pain because you did is ridiculous.
Is the removal/insertion worse than the initial insertion, then? I'm due to have my IUD replaced in 2012 and was wondering just the other day if it'd be significantly different to the initial insertion.

Add me to the list of 'insertion was weird and uncomfortable but not some terrible agony' experiences, too. I got mine done at a sexual health clinic though (I guess the UK equivalent of a Planned Parenthood, although NHS-funded rather than a charity) and I would think they have a lot of experience in fitting them, which probably helps.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Geolicious posted:

My gyno was explaining the procedure to me and said it just made it a tad easier for her if I were on my period because the cervix is more open, but it wasn't going to be a huge deal if I wasn't. She said it would still be about the same amount of discomfort for a bit.
This is the same thing I was told by my doc :shobon:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm not sure if it belongs here but I couldn't think of anywhere else; I recently recieved my first letter about getting a cervical smear. What is that like?

(When I brought this up to my housemate she said she'd been ignoring that letter for three years and I'm assuming that's bad form.)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm not sure if it belongs here but I couldn't think of anywhere else; I recently recieved my first letter about getting a cervical smear. What is that like?

(When I brought this up to my housemate she said she'd been ignoring that letter for three years and I'm assuming that's bad form.)

No big deal. Lasts like 20 seconds and it's over, doesn't hurt at all and they'll talk you through it and explain what they're doing. Last I heard getting a pap smear once every 3 years is sort of the new norm, but I'm still required to go once a year to get birth control refills.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

It's pretty simple actually, they insert the speculum which opens the vagina so the Dr can see and take a swab of the cells. FAR less painful than an IUD insertion...plus it is used to detect pre-cancerous "changes" in the cells. I definitely wouldn't ignore the test.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Thanks, I'll book an appointment to get it done next week. I just hadn't heard much about it, and the leaflet that came with the letter was all 'you might bleed and maybe take some painkillers because it'll probably hurt' :derp:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My pap smear gave me a similar feeling to having my IUD put in, but nowhere near as intense. Just a gross crampy feeling deep inside.

I started my period 8/21 and got my IUD 8/22, then had another period as usual on 9/22, then another on 10/23, and this month has come and gone with no period D: I'm a tiny bit concerned. I guess I should go take a pregnancy test to set my mind at ease, but I think I just got that no period side effect.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

bobula posted:

My pap smear gave me a similar feeling to having my IUD put in, but nowhere near as intense. Just a gross crampy feeling deep inside.

I started my period 8/21 and got my IUD 8/22, then had another period as usual on 9/22, then another on 10/23, and this month has come and gone with no period D: I'm a tiny bit concerned. I guess I should go take a pregnancy test to set my mind at ease, but I think I just got that no period side effect.

Can you feel your strings? Is there a noticeable difference in length/shortness of them? Has anything stressful happened lately? Stressing about a late period is a great way to make your period later. I'd say wait a couple days and see what happens.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Pyrotoad posted:

Thanks, I'll book an appointment to get it done next week. I just hadn't heard much about it, and the leaflet that came with the letter was all 'you might bleed and maybe take some painkillers because it'll probably hurt' :derp:

I think they're just trying to cover all their bases. I've spotted a tiny amount after one pap, but none of my other ones. As far as pain goes, it feels like a cramp, but once the swab is done it passes pretty quickly. I think it hurts more if you're nervous and can't relax but a good doctor will walk/talk you through everything and it's not all that bad.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I'm thinking of getting Mirena. I've been off the pill for about a year now, but it does not help my "oh god don't want to get pregnant" paranoia. I'm married but we don't want children any time soon, if ever.

My question is, how do I go about finding a gynecologist in the first place? Before I moved to a new city, I just went to my mom's doctor back home. I know Planned Parenthood is an option, but the closest one is a couple of cities away, so I'd like to find a doctor I can go to in my city when needed.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

radioaktivitat posted:

Is the removal/insertion worse than the initial insertion, then? I'm due to have my IUD replaced in 2012 and was wondering just the other day if it'd be significantly different to the initial insertion.

In most cases removal is quite minor compared to insertion. I got lucky, in that my uterus apparently likes to just suck up the strings and hide them. This meant that they were not reachable through normal means when it was time for removal and as a result the doctor had to go through my cervix several times with different instruments trying to find something he could get a hold of the IUD with. This was shockingly painful and gave me a good bit of insight into what a more complicated insertion is like. It is also worth noting that both my insertions (and obviously the removal as well) were done by docs with plenty of IUD insertion experience.

I thought that the strings had disappeared b/c the doctor who inserted my first one cut them off short, but the doctor who inserted the second one purposefully left them long and they rapidly vanished into my uterus over the following months. I've had the second one for 1.5 years now and have only been able to feel the strings once out of the last 30 or so times I checked for them. I absolutely will be asking for stronger pain medication and a cervical block before my next removal if my strings are playing hide and seek again.

I will say that the recovery from the insertion of the new IUD was surprisingly easy and short, despite how abused my cervix was during the removal procedure. I only had cramping for about 12 hours afterward. Apparently your uterus only needs to get used to having an IUD in it once.

On the topic of pap smears, some women just have a very sensitive cervix and will cramp quite a bit during/after it. Others (including me) have no pain with the pap at all, just a mild uncomfortable feeling for a couple of seconds. I've never bled after a pap either, but it's not unusual, especially if you are on certain kinds of birth control that might make it more sensitive.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pyrotoad posted:

It's definitely a weird, uncomfortable feeling when they do the swab, but it's not that bad and it only lasts a few seconds. I've never felt the need for any kind of pain relief for it. I've had cramps that felt a lot worse than anything they do at a pap smear.

They may or may not also do a breast exam before the pap test, so be prepared for that possibility too.

I think the new norm is actually once every two years, then it goes up to three if you're older and have consistently normal paps. I go in every year to renew my birth control prescription, but they only do the pap smear every other year. The rest of the time they just check for STDs and give me an overall physical.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

squidtarts posted:

I'm thinking of getting Mirena. I've been off the pill for about a year now, but it does not help my "oh god don't want to get pregnant" paranoia. I'm married but we don't want children any time soon, if ever.

My question is, how do I go about finding a gynecologist in the first place? Before I moved to a new city, I just went to my mom's doctor back home. I know Planned Parenthood is an option, but the closest one is a couple of cities away, so I'd like to find a doctor I can go to in my city when needed.

If you have a PCP in your new city, you can get a referral from them. That's what I did. I just told my doctor I wanted an IUD and she sent me to a gyno who will do it for young, childless women. :)

If you don't have a general doctor yet, or any doctor in the city, you can do a search via your insurance to see what doctors are covered by it.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Has anybody who enjoyed the anti-acne properties of oral birth control ever gone the route of getting an IUD and then getting some sort of anti-acne medicine from a dermatologist? My problem is just pimples on my face and upper chest. Not Accutane-like acne, but I don't want any.

Just wondering because I have an appointment for a follow-up pap smear in January and might ask about it. (June pap smear said I had HPV and LSIL, but July biopsy of "suspicious area" revealed nothing, I was normal. :wtf: )

Sexual Panda
May 9, 2007

Once upon a time, a little doggy poo lived on the side of a road. He felt all alone in the world. He believed that nobody needed him for anything.
Alright, non-IUD related here...but last night I took my pill at 10:30pm. I ended up getting sick around 11:15-11:30 or so, like bad diarrhea (gross, I know). I COMPLETELY forgot that if you get sick within 4 hours of taking your pill, you should take another one. As in, forgot like it's 7PM now and I just remembered.

Given that it was only about 45 mins in between my pill and oh-god-my-rear end-hurts sickness, am I still covered, or is this equivalent to missing a pill? If it is like missing a pill, do I just keep taking them as normal now? And last question, what does that means in terms of my current happy state of infertileness? I'm 2 weeks into the pack so I'm assuming this is bad timing. Should I use backup protection for the rest of the month?

Yikes, I read the entire pamphlet that came with the pills, but still so many questions...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure about most of your questions. But if you do decide to use back-up protection, you'll be protected by the pills again after taking them consistently for 7 days. So it doesn't have to be the rest of the month unless you just want to play it extra, extra safe.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Sexual Panda posted:

Alright, non-IUD related here...but last night I took my pill at 10:30pm. I ended up getting sick around 11:15-11:30 or so, like bad diarrhea (gross, I know). I COMPLETELY forgot that if you get sick within 4 hours of taking your pill, you should take another one. As in, forgot like it's 7PM now and I just remembered.

Given that it was only about 45 mins in between my pill and oh-god-my-rear end-hurts sickness, am I still covered, or is this equivalent to missing a pill? If it is like missing a pill, do I just keep taking them as normal now? And last question, what does that means in terms of my current happy state of infertileness? I'm 2 weeks into the pack so I'm assuming this is bad timing. Should I use backup protection for the rest of the month?

Yikes, I read the entire pamphlet that came with the pills, but still so many questions...

How much diarrhea are we talking about here? Did you just have that one bowel movement, or were you having multiple wet bowel movements after that? Transit time in your stomach varies from 1-5 hours, so if you had diarrhea just 45 minutes after taking the pill, the pill was probably still sitting in your stomach and nowhere near getting pooped out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

samizdat posted:

Has anybody who enjoyed the anti-acne properties of oral birth control ever gone the route of getting an IUD and then getting some sort of anti-acne medicine from a dermatologist? My problem is just pimples on my face and upper chest. Not Accutane-like acne, but I don't want any.
I did this with Implanon and it was totally no big deal. I took antibiotics for years, then Accutane, Implanon, second course of Accutane, another Implanon, and now I'm looking for a dermatologist who'll give me spirolactone. Implanon does help with my skin, but not enough for me to be completely happy. It shouldn't be a problem to get other treatments along with birth control.

Sexual Panda
May 9, 2007

Once upon a time, a little doggy poo lived on the side of a road. He felt all alone in the world. He believed that nobody needed him for anything.
It was just that isolated incident, fortunately. I had a feeling that there was no way the pill had left my stomach yet, but the pamphlet said anytime within 4 hours, so I wanted to be sure.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Sexual Panda posted:

It was just that isolated incident, fortunately. I had a feeling that there was no way the pill had left my stomach yet, but the pamphlet said anytime within 4 hours, so I wanted to be sure.

I could be wrong on this but I think that mostly refers to vomiting.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I'm crossposting this from my TFLC log, because one of my log buddies brought up the fact that it would be good to run it by this thread.

Yesterday, I had a Mirena placed. It was not good.

eggrolled posted:

Okay, Unhappy IUD experience trip report. Spoilering for potential :nms:/:gonk:

Yesterday I go to have my IUD (Mirena) inserted. It all happens somewhere between 2-3pm. During the insertion, I have to get a local numbing shot to the area so that it can be dilated properly for the IUD to be put in. So far, no problem. Weirdass discomfort feeling something shoved up in there, but I managed to get through it without even a yelp. Doc says everything looks good, I'm feeling pretty good aside from serious cramping, so I go to check out. As I wait in line at the check out area, I start to feel weak. I go sit down, but then stand up a little later again. But then, I can only manage to stand for 30 seconds. I get extremely dizzy, and must sit again. My breathing grew faster and I was starting to sweat.

I request that I can go lie down somewhere. They find me a room and I quickly throw my stuff in a nearby chair and pretty much chuck myself onto the patient table. The cramps get worse, as does my condition. The nurses bring me some juice, water, ice packs, etc., and they help me attempt to recover. It takes about 45min-1hour for me to get my bearings. The Doc comes in to speak with me and mentions that I was have a vasovagal (sp?) reaction and it is pretty common. She allows me to rest until I can drive myself home.

I manage to drive myself home, then I crawl into bed. Over the span of another hour or so, the pain becomes really, really horrible. I suspect part of it was the cervical block wearing off, but this was borderline some of the worst pain I have felt (and I have had major surgery and broken bones before). The pain becomes so bad, I feel that I might vomit and cry at the same time.

At this point, I'm alone, aside from having my boyfriend on the phone with me. I hang up with him and then call my uncle explaining how bad the pain was. They come to pick me up to go to the emergency room. Before they got to my condo, I called the answering service for the medical center that I got my IUD placed. They connected me with the doctor on call, and he called ahead at the ER for me. Over the phone, I decided that I wanted to try to keep the IUD. This meant that at the ER they would do an ultrasound to see if it was properly placed, then prescribe pain medication to help me deal with it if it were to stay in.

We check into the ER at 7:41pm. The pain starts to dull somewhat, but they give me a vicodin to help while I wait. Over the course of several hours, I undergo a pelvic exam and an external AND internal ultrasound. We wait for the results over another hour or so. Results inconclusive. Now I have to get a CAT(CT?) scan. After that, we wait longer for the results.

After the ER doctors coordinate with the doc on the phone ... they determine that... well this diagram I made is worth a thousand words:

:nms::cry: http://i.imgur.com/pcigp.jpg :nms: :cry:

:gonk: :gonk: THE loving THING WAS TWISTED INSIDE ME SOMEHOW?? :gonk: :gonk:

Luckily, it hadn't perforated me (yet), but the fucker had to come out. So, after mentally preparing myself the doc at the ER yanked it out. That hurt a fuckton, it made me cry. I hadn't even cried earlier, but I remember yelling "poo poo, gently caress, GODDAMMIT!" and bursting into tears. They gave me another pain med, a prescription for more pain meds, and sent me home at 2am.

I called the doctor today. She is going to see me again on Thursday, and I'm going to ask HOW THE gently caress DID THIS poo poo HAPPEN.

You may call me crazy but I want to try again, if they don't gently caress up my innards.

Has anyone ever heard or experienced having an IUD coil around itself inside the freaking uterus? I'm going to consult with the doctor that put it in (she has experience with a lot of NP women and placing IUDs) soon. I still really want an IUD, but I'm not sure if this was rejection or a placement/device error. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
drat. If it did that, I'd really suspect a defective IUD. Like it didn't have the structural integrity it was supposed to or something. But, I'm just speculating.

Poor thing. I hope you are feeling better.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah, more than one day of Vicodin isn't really that shady if you have a condition that warrants it.

That's exactly what I meant. Being on Vicodin for more than one day for an IUD is shady. There shouldn't be ANY prescription pain medications involved in placing an IUD, it's totally unnecessary.

Edit to add: I'm paranoid about feeling for my strings every week, I do it in the shower. It's impossible to feel them right after sex, and even if I've just woke up they are still difficult to feel. They have settled around my cervix so that it takes a minute to find where they come out of the cervix and go to the side.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Facts: I had unprotected sex once, and did not cum inside her. There are tampon wrappers in my trash can that showed up a few days after the fact, and there was a lot of bleeding when I had protected sex with her that day. Like, period amounts of bleeding, if you ask me (an ignorant idiot guy). She also forgot to flush once and I ran in to a fair bit of blood when I went to use my bathroom :gonk:. She's "on birth control" but it was the end of her pack or she was "on placebos for that week" or some other BS that she fed me. I'm also an idiot. Fact.

The point I'm getting at is that the lady I've been with for quite a while now has turned full-fledged crazy on me so I've broken it off with her but tried to keep it amiable. Now she's coyly mentioning that she might be pregnant which is something I don't think can be thrown around lightly and comes off as an attention-grab. Her excuses to my objections are that "I don't know her body," in that it wasn't a period that bled all over me during sex and required tampons for two days but instead just a lot of blood from loving too hard or possibly implantation bleeding.

Given the facts I think that's impossible for her to have gotten pregnant but I need to put my mind at ease before I tell her that this is the very pinnacle of being a drama queen and that I want absolutely nothing to do with her from here on out. Even on the presumption that there was some pre-cum, that should still be an impossibly low chance of anything coming from that within the placebo stage of BC. Taking it further, even if BC was a total lie and never existed it shouldn't be possible for there to be that significant of an amount of blood were it not for her period.

I'm not really worried but it's still quite stressful because I don't want to feel too much that I'm trying to hastily justify the result that I expect. I'll have to wait it out until her period happens again and I can tell her I told her so but for now I guess I need affirmation that her "strong sense of smell" and "feeling like she needs to throw up" are just her crazy, malingering rear end that needs to get as far away from me as possible.

tl,dr:Is a period the be-all-end-all flag for not pregnant if no sex has occurred since? And is there any probability that I'm just being an insensitive rear end and maybe she really does have this much blood leaking from her for other reasons?

• Locked thread