Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I used Jean Grey for a few matches, and got hatemail from 2 different players who didn't even try to snap her in. Otherwise, nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FauxCyclops posted:

Chiming in that Felicia has quite a viable OTG assist in her Sand Slash that is handy for extending Nemesis combos; the timing is less forgiving than, say, Deadpool's by a long way but it is there. It is a crime nobody plays her!

e: With Nemesis: Ground series -> launch -> Air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb.M -> launch -> air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb.M -> launch -> air series -> Felicia OTG -> qcb. M -> launch -> air ser :aaaaa:
Tried playing around with this for a bit because I didn't even think of anything like this with Nemeis/Wesker when I was playing them. Practicing on Zero in the corner, I couldn't find a distance where I could grab all the air tech directions; staying close to them meant forward tech would go over Nemesis, and moving back to be able to catch the forward tech meant I couldn't grab neutral tech. Did you find a distance to grab everything?

Justin Wong is still claiming Felicia to be really good in this game, so we'll see if he does anything with her at SCR in a few weeks (or NEC next week, if he goes to that).

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I've been getting nothing but laggy matches left and right online. I'm usually the last person to make any excuses for a loss other than my lack of skill, but god drat trying to do stuff in lag sucks.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

swamp waste posted:

People will know you buy katanas on ebay, other than that you got a solid team

I do not own katanas, I'm not that cool :colbert:

My Xbox username was ShooterHeart1CC and my title was "I prefer Swords!" I found that sorta amusing before I changed my gamer tag. Thanks for the input people, glad I can stick with my team and not be forced to use a specific character.

This is just ridiculous.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Bosushi! posted:

I've been getting nothing but laggy matches left and right online. I'm usually the last person to make any excuses for a loss other than my lack of skill, but god drat trying to do stuff in lag sucks.

Same.

I've gone 2-2 in ranked and all 4 games have been so laggy that it's just luck as to who wins/loses.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fun posted:

Same.

I've gone 2-2 in ranked and all 4 games have been so laggy that it's just luck as to who wins/loses.
Same. Half the time even when I get a 5-bar connection I end up playing underwater. It's really frustrating.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I've been playing player matches and its been pretty smooth. There are a couple things sometimes like blocking not being recognized fast enough but generally its been great.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I've had a very good online experience so far, with only one or two games being unplayable due to lag. I don't play offline much though because none of my friends play and I haven't gotten into the local scene. It could be possible that some of my blocks are not being registered though...which may explain some things...

Speaking of blocking, when Vergil does his samurai style forward dash with the blade slashes covering the floor, when does he actually move to the other side? I'm having trouble figuring out when to block in the other direction, and just trouble figuring out that I should block in the other direction when he does it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Waverhouse posted:

I've had a very good online experience so far, with only one or two games being unplayable due to lag. I don't play offline much though because none of my friends play and I haven't gotten into the local scene. It could be possible that some of my blocks are not being registered though...which may explain some things...

Speaking of blocking, when Vergil does his samurai style forward dash with the blade slashes covering the floor, when does he actually move to the other side? I'm having trouble figuring out when to block in the other direction, and just trouble figuring out that I should block in the other direction when he does it.
You can just block for the cross-up through the whole move, can't you?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anyone else playing Viewtiful Joe or Firebrand? I usually use one or the other on point, and I'm trying to work out some decent team synergy.

My team setup usually something like Joe/Firebrand on point, Joe/Firebrand/Strange in second, and Spencer/Hawkeye as anchor. Any thoughts?
Spencer DHC's from Six Cannon pretty well at the end of aerial combos. I usually go into Maneuvers by default from habit in Vanilla because it started the DHC glitch so I know its timing the best, but I'm pretty sure Arm will work anywhere too. In the corner DHC into Maneuvers right as the opponent is at the bottom of the screen (it's panned up because you're doing an aerial combo), midscreen you can do it right as the opponent starts falling from getting blasted by the cannon and land it all the way across the screen.

I play Joe/Spencer/Frank for those DHCs and shopping cart usually (Frank easily DHCs from Spencer too if you want to burn 2 bars). I suck and I fail miserably at confirming almost anything from Joe online or landing the j.H link that leads from groovy uppercut into basically every decent Joe combo so I mostly try to zone voomerang spam until an obvious punish, then DHC.

Joe's bomb assist will OTG for anyone (I've tried) in the corner if you call it right as you launch and then j.MHS (and hold back as you land with some characters to make sure you don't get blown up), it will OTG for Frank anywhere if you call it with the same timing and j.MH down+H to get another air loop in before using his ground bounce.

I'm kind of torn because for some reason I invested a lot of training mode time into Joe in Vanilla and I think a team like Joe/Strange (EoA)/IM (beam) would be absurdly good in Ultimate for that Dieminion kind of Joe play where you fill the screen with stuff and cross up with dashes but I can't confirm a hit with either of those characters to save my life so when Joe dies I just awkwardly play defense for 30s before losing.

edit: Regarding online I've only played a little bit ranked, but I noticed that you should wait 10-15s after the other player joins before hitting ready because sometimes they start 5-bars and drop as low as 3 in the next few seconds. If screening with the bars is accurate at all anyway...

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 26, 2011

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wolverine vs Wright is like a 9-1 matchup, there is no way to get that fucker off of you and he can Berserker Slash right through Maya Shield. If you want to collect evidence you have to throw out Maya Shuffle and hope you get three in a row. Really, really bad.

Fortunately, now that Berserker Slash has no invulnerability (seriously, what the gently caress were they thinking?) it gets stuffed in transit by Dormammu's Flame Carpet. That really makes things a lot fairer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tremble, mortals, before the might of Goolactus. (They play the actual game at 11 minutes in.)

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 26, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So I dropped Viewtiful Joe for Storm, so I'm now playing Storm/Firebrand/Sentinel. Storm is really really good 0_0 I highly recommend her to any MvC2 fans, her gameplay seems largely intact still (except lightning storm being a lovely super now -_-)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Storm is really really really monstrous. Jamcrofts, if you haven't, you should go watch Fanatiq's MSS Then & Now series, he shows some really cool Ultimate Storm/Sent stuff. Firebrand/Storm is really boss too, they have great synergy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

Storm is really really really monstrous. Jamcrofts, if you haven't, you should go watch Fanatiq's MSS Then & Now series, he shows some really cool Ultimate Storm/Sent stuff. Firebrand/Storm is really boss too, they have great synergy.

I actually haven't seen that! I'll make sure to give it a watch.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got any good Morrigan UMVC3 tech? I'm still rocking and rolling with my vanilla MVC3 combos and getting bodied, but some advice on how to spam her meter-stealing Soul Fist and take advantage of her slightly easier flight cancelling would be greatly appreciated.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

chumbler posted:

Tremble, mortals, before the might of Goolactus. (They play the actual game at 11 minutes in.)

The best part of this video is noticing that Gootecks account has been downgraded to silver for ragequitting.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.

iPodschun posted:

Tried playing around with this for a bit because I didn't even think of anything like this with Nemeis/Wesker when I was playing them. Practicing on Zero in the corner, I couldn't find a distance where I could grab all the air tech directions; staying close to them meant forward tech would go over Nemesis, and moving back to be able to catch the forward tech meant I couldn't grab neutral tech. Did you find a distance to grab everything?

Justin Wong is still claiming Felicia to be really good in this game, so we'll see if he does anything with her at SCR in a few weeks (or NEC next week, if he goes to that).

It was in the timing for me; it would catch a backward and neutral air recovery if you sort of wait until felicia is actually done doing her move before you input, but a forward roll would sail over it. If you think the opponent is going to forward air recover you can do qcb.H to catch them but that's down to chance; 2/3 is better odds.

Basically, gently caress with the timing! Delay it a bit until it works, it should snag them just coming out of hitstun. Another thing I noticed is if you delay Nemesis' air special a little, you are still quite able to hit it from the end of the j.H but it will allow you enormously more time to get Felicia out and reliably OTG. Nemesis' trickery seems to be in the user being creative with their timing, rather than the raw execution.

e. ADDITIONALLY-- C.Viper's OTG, in the corner, leaves you at the perfect spacing to hop forward and do qcb.H for a nasty reset that will 100% Akuma.

FauxCyclops fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 26, 2011

AlphaTM
Aug 11, 2010

Ybrik posted:

The best part of this video is noticing that Gootecks account has been downgraded to silver for ragequitting.

Everyone starts at silver before they play any matches.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

AlphaTM posted:

Everyone starts at silver before they play any matches.

Really? Oh well. Its still the best video they've put out in a while that didn't have a guest.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
Mike just leaning back all smug like on the couch after barely winning was so good

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
haha I was wondering when one of them would figure out the one hit KO move that isn't even listed in the guide.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

This is just ridiculous.

What is ridiculous about that? Other characters do more damage than that without a DHC.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

dorkasaurus rex posted:

Anyone got any good Morrigan UMVC3 tech? I'm still rocking and rolling with my vanilla MVC3 combos and getting bodied, but some advice on how to spam her meter-stealing Soul Fist and take advantage of her slightly easier flight cancelling would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odpYVLb0pBc&feature=player_embedded!

Dieminion running that Dark Morrigan anchor. Basically, his plan is to spam the poo poo out of the meter building assist she has, which is actually a lot safer to call out than Ammy's. He leaves her last so she gets the X-Factor boost for her pretty bad damage. Her physical damage is still rear end, so what you'll see if you watch a lot of the later matches in the tournament is just a war of attrition where eventually Morrigan just chips you out with Astral Vision fireballs.

A lot of people were saying that despite her buffs, the air dash nerf was going to rape her, but unless you're blindly going in with drill kick every second, she should probably be played as a keep away character. I actually think that indirectly, the air dash nerf helped her keep away game, because now she can just fly upwards in astral vision and make the game into a Touhou shooter, and with the weakened air mobility, it's hard for the opponent to really punish her for it, unless you have someone with an instant hit everywhere super.

I haven't really seen anyone incorporating the meter stealing fireball, to be honest, but the flight cancelling makes it easier for her to get around and fly away.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chumbler posted:

The best part is when Mike Ross has two bars and his xfactor left, the opponent's last character in a combo with Ryu and Mike ends his combo with air tatsu into shinku hadouken. He can xfactor cancel and do another super to win the match. As the hadouken animation is ending...
gootecks: x factor!
mike ross: No! I'm in there!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any benefit to actually playing Galactus mode? Because wow, is it not exciting...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Is there any benefit to actually playing Galactus mode? Because wow, is it not exciting...

Looks like you get some achievements from it.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Medullah posted:

My guess is that they had the code and stuff for Galactus there already, so they just made a couple of tweaks and made him playable because there was no reason not to. It's less of a "Hey guys! Look at this amazing new feature!" and more of "I guess we can let you screw around with Galactus. It won't take much effort to code in."

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Medullah posted:

You get to see Galactus' ending without losing your dignity.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Dren posted:

What is ridiculous about that? Other characters do more damage than that without a DHC.

It took me almost half a day just to pull it off a few times(the Vergil part is confusing to me). Maybe you have magic memory, but I think that is tough to execute. Not always about damage.

e: clarity

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

InnercityGriot posted:

First of all, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odpYVLb0pBc&feature=player_embedded!

Dieminion running that Dark Morrigan anchor. Basically, his plan is to spam the poo poo out of the meter building assist she has, which is actually a lot safer to call out than Ammy's. He leaves her last so she gets the X-Factor boost for her pretty bad damage. Her physical damage is still rear end, so what you'll see if you watch a lot of the later matches in the tournament is just a war of attrition where eventually Morrigan just chips you out with Astral Vision fireballs.

A lot of people were saying that despite her buffs, the air dash nerf was going to rape her, but unless you're blindly going in with drill kick every second, she should probably be played as a keep away character. I actually think that indirectly, the air dash nerf helped her keep away game, because now she can just fly upwards in astral vision and make the game into a Touhou shooter, and with the weakened air mobility, it's hard for the opponent to really punish her for it, unless you have someone with an instant hit everywhere super.

I haven't really seen anyone incorporating the meter stealing fireball, to be honest, but the flight cancelling makes it easier for her to get around and fly away.

I play a pretty heavily melee-oriented Morrigan but this is some helpful stuff. Maybe the Astral Vision keepaway stuff is more effective then I give it credit for, but I really like getting that first hit in with Morrigan or air comboing into her Level 3. It's just so satisfying. Has anyone else used Morrigan at tournaments? I feel like this is the first time I've ever seen her used competitively.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Dren posted:

The best part is when Mike Ross has two bars and his xfactor left, the opponent's last character in a combo with Ryu and Mike ends his combo with air tatsu into shinku hadouken. He can xfactor cancel and do another super to win the match. As the hadouken animation is ending...
gootecks: x factor!
mike ross: No! I'm in there!

And the taunt with Thor before getting wasted by Dorm.
Dude has got style.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chumbler posted:

I have literally never laughed at hard as anything in this series as much as Gootecks' first game. Pubbie Iron Man immediately does a random angled super followed by full screen smart bombs.

Mike Ross: You can win this, YOU CAN WIN THIS!
Gootecks: Wait, no, I don't have my buttons set.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You guys see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oHL9toCoY

Looks like, in Vanilla at least, Chun had a weird infinite where her j. L reset damage scaling. I wonder if this is still in ultimate.

Sorry if this is old.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
What is it with Chun and infinites these days? I swear.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Metrohunter posted:

What is it with Chun and infinites these days? I swear.

She's the strongest woman in the world.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jeffrey posted:

You guys see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oHL9toCoY

Looks like, in Vanilla at least, Chun had a weird infinite where her j. L reset damage scaling. I wonder if this is still in ultimate.

Sorry if this is old.

It's on the first page of the thread, but no one saw it, I think, so it's a valid repost.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I've really gotten into Firebrand. I really love his mobility options and as an El Fuerte main his awful damage doesn't really bother me. I just need to find a good team for him.

Also, now that I've ordered a TE stick I should be better able to use characters such as Taskmaster who require you to press L+H for useful hypers.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Groghammer posted:

I've really gotten into Firebrand. I really love his mobility options and as an El Fuerte main his awful damage doesn't really bother me. I just need to find a good team for him.

Also, now that I've ordered a TE stick I should be better able to use characters such as Taskmaster who require you to press L+H for useful hypers.

Pick a character with an assist that has some good blockstun. Every time you kill a character with Firebrand, call that assist and start charging his H Demon Missile and then get a free combo (unless it's a Sentinel who comes in mashing Hard Drive). That's probably the most valuable kind of teammate you can get for Firebrand.

Also it's really strange that the new strategy guide/bible doesn't list that you can even charge Firebrand's H Demon Missile at all, much less that it becomes unblockable when it's done all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Dr Slouch posted:

Also it's really strange that the new strategy guide/bible doesn't list that you can even charge Firebrand's H Demon Missile at all, much less that it becomes unblockable when it's done all the way.

What the hell, you can do this?!

• Locked thread