Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Kodo posted:

Oh gently caress me. I forgot to transfer music from my ipod to my PC before updating to the new OS because I update all my music manually like a troglodyte.

Please nobody make the same mistake I did.

How does this even happen? Do you copy songs to your iPod and the DELETE them from your PC? I'm just not sure why the heck anyone would do this. Especially as cheap as hard drives are nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

echobucket posted:

How does this even happen? Do you copy songs to your iPod and the DELETE them from your PC? I'm just not sure why the heck anyone would do this. Especially as cheap as hard drives are nowadays.

The hard drive upon which I stored a lot of that music died recently, so none of that music saved. Some music I had uploaded through foobar2000. I just didn't think twice when the new update message said it would delete everything.

I had a lot of my music already backed up elsewhere, now it's just a matter of restoring it all.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

I've been having a lot of trouble with my Ipod Touch lately and looking on the internet hasn't been much help. The problem started when it wouldn't back up anymore but could still sync fine, now it wont do either.

When I was trying to find a solution I stupidly took the advice of deleting my back up file in itunes for my Ipod because it said that would work and now I have nothing to restore it to.

Is there any reason why my Ipod would suddenly stop backing up for no apparent reason? I'm at my wits end.

I should mention that my Ipod backs up fine on my laptop, but my laptop doesn't have and of my music or apps or anything because my desktop is the primary computer for itunes and all that.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

Just came here to post that the Music listing problem is happening to me and several other people. It appears to be a serious iOS/iTunes/Music app bug.

Here's the post in the iPhone thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3329243&pagenumber=419&perpage=40#post396739798

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mine actually was fixed with a reboot, although I imagine ymmv

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
hmmm...my 3rd gen ipod touch is no longer charging to the USB connection to my PC. Only the wall charger works. It also seems to be a bug related to the new iOS release.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I decided to pick up an 8GB touch. Future Shop (Canadian subsidiary of Best Buy) only had devices preloaded with iOS4 left (meaning these are not Oct-2011 devices). From what I've read, the 2010 edition is identical to the 2011 edition - but is there any reason to favour the latter? Is it a reasonable possibility that a 2010 device will get one fewer update in future?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lexicon posted:

I decided to pick up an 8GB touch. Future Shop (Canadian subsidiary of Best Buy) only had devices preloaded with iOS4 left (meaning these are not Oct-2011 devices). From what I've read, the 2010 edition is identical to the 2011 edition - but is there any reason to favour the latter? Is it a reasonable possibility that a 2010 device will get one fewer update in future?
If it has a camera, it's exactly the same as the latest edition and will be supported as long as the latest one will be.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Yeah, it has a camera (rear and front). Thanks

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Kodo posted:

Oh gently caress me. I forgot to transfer music from my ipod to my PC before updating to the new OS because I update all my music manually like a troglodyte.

Please nobody make the same mistake I did.

What is the best way to transfer music from my iPod touch (3rd gen) to my computer, preferably freeware? All my music is on my netbook, and it has since lost the ability to accept USB devices, so I'm stuck with 32 gigabytes and no way to get it to my main computer, aside from a very slow and tedious Dropbox process.

CopyTrans seems decent, but I don't want to pay $20 bucks to use it.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 27, 2011

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SgtScruffy posted:

What is the best way to transfer music from my iPod touch (3rd gen) to my computer, preferably freeware? All my music is on my netbook, and it has since lost the ability to accept USB devices, so I'm stuck with 32 gigabytes and no way to get it to my main computer, aside from a very slow and tedious Dropbox process.

CopyTrans seems decent, but I don't want to pay $20 bucks to use it.

SharePod

Chocamine
Aug 12, 2007
Contains methylxanthines.
I just bought a Dual XGPS150 for my iPod touch hoping it would make a decent GPS out of the device but it turns out that without an internet connection you can't search for new destinations or make any adjustments and theres a lot of issues with the maps. I have only tried Waze and MotionXGPS and so far they're both complete garbage without an internet connection.

Are there any apps out there that can allow you to search with a GPS connection (but not an internet connection) that are half decent?

edit: Navigon is out of my price range.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

moms pubis posted:

SharePod

Worked like a charm, thanks!

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Chocamine posted:

I just bought a Dual XGPS150 for my iPod touch hoping it would make a decent GPS out of the device but it turns out that without an internet connection you can't search for new destinations or make any adjustments and theres a lot of issues with the maps. I have only tried Waze and MotionXGPS and so far they're both complete garbage without an internet connection.

Are there any apps out there that can allow you to search with a GPS connection (but not an internet connection) that are half decent?

edit: Navigon is out of my price range.

I just got the same GPS for my Touch to keep track of some running I've been doing with the Runkeeper app. The thing is, without an internet connection, any app you would use to search for destinations and such will have to have all the data(maps, locations) you want stored on your ipod before you ask for it. I'm not sure there are any apps like that on the app store. There are some apps available that let you store maps and make notes on them, but that's the kind of thing you would have to build up yourself and you wouldn't be able to just search for a restaurant. If you live in a big enough city some of them have had people make travelguide apps for them, and that would probably do what you want.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Gps people posted:

GPS without internet concerns

I have navfree on mine, it stores maps locally so no internet connection is required. I believe it's free too. It does take a fair amount of storage space on the ipod though.

Chocamine
Aug 12, 2007
Contains methylxanthines.
I DLed this and it seems pretty good but it keeps saying "poor GPS" on the top left. My DUAL gps is connected and running, and all the other apps seem to be able to use the device except navfree. Any ideas?

Walrusmaster posted:

I have navfree on mine, it stores maps locally so no internet connection is required. I believe it's free too. It does take a fair amount of storage space on the ipod though.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I bought a new Touch 4th generation yesterday following the well-deserved death of my Creative Zen. As has probably been mentioned before, Zens are/were absolute bricks when it came to dropping them (and by the end mine had several chips in the plastic from falling onto bare concrete), and in contrast the Touch looks really thin and breakable. I've been told the Otterbox cases are best when it comes to protecting from accidental falls, but I'm not quite sure which of the three versions would fit me best. Does anyone have any information and/or photos they would be willing to share?

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Chocamine posted:

I DLed this and it seems pretty good but it keeps saying "poor GPS" on the top left. My DUAL gps is connected and running, and all the other apps seem to be able to use the device except navfree. Any ideas?

I don't know, sorry. Works ok with my tomtom car kit, though it does take a while to acquire a lock. The car kit has an app that tells you which satellite's it's connected to though, and opening it before opening the nav app makes it connect significantly faster.

mistressminako posted:

otterboxes

I have mine in one of the commuter series cases, and I think it's ideal. The main problem with dropping the Touch is shattering the screen (I know from personal experience), and the commuter case has silicone which wraps around the front to cushion it. it also tends not to slide around in your hand due to silicone grips on the side. Any otterbox would work great I'm sure, but the commuter keeps fairly thin and is still protective.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

mistressminako posted:

I bought a new Touch 4th generation yesterday following the well-deserved death of my Creative Zen. As has probably been mentioned before, Zens are/were absolute bricks when it came to dropping them (and by the end mine had several chips in the plastic from falling onto bare concrete), and in contrast the Touch looks really thin and breakable. I've been told the Otterbox cases are best when it comes to protecting from accidental falls, but I'm not quite sure which of the three versions would fit me best. Does anyone have any information and/or photos they would be willing to share?

I have been using Touches without cases for 3 years now. The one time it did break was because a cousin of mine slammed it. They're very, very durable. You really have the beat the poo poo out of it to break it.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I dropped my touch face-down on a tile floor and all that happened to it was a little bit of scuffing around the metal edge. They really are built like tanks.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The thinness and lightness really work in its favor. It's very sturdy and there isn't much weight to crash down. An iPhone is thicker and heavier.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What is the best way to import lyrics into my mp3s (via itunes, foobar, winamp, or WMP would be nice) these days? I have heard of lawsuits in the past few years against applications and programs that do this automatically. Should I just go through the tracks I really want lyrics for and manually c/p them in?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

The thinness and lightness really work in its favor. It's very sturdy and there isn't much weight to crash down. An iPhone is thicker and heavier.

There's also the benefit of it being metal-backed and not encased in glass like the new iPhones. I prefer it getting scuffed incredibly easily to shattering if you drop it. Honestly surprised at how well mine's held up; I've had it for 2 years and aside from the usual scuffs the only real damage is a tiny scratch on the screen.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

What is the best way to import lyrics into my mp3s (via itunes, foobar, winamp, or WMP would be nice) these days? I have heard of lawsuits in the past few years against applications and programs that do this automatically. Should I just go through the tracks I really want lyrics for and manually c/p them in?

http://www.cultofmac.com/58650/automatically-add-lyrics-to-all-songs-in-your-itunes-library/

Worked great for me, but it does add lines like "lyrics submitted by 1yricf00l87345" and "these lyrics taken from http://www.irritatinglyricswebsite.com"

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I've had my touch for a few months now and it's been really good to me. I upgraded to iOS 5.01 the other night and now may battery life has gone to absolute and utter poo poo. I'm talking I let it sleep for two days and the battery was dead as a doornail. From looking online I realize just the iOS 5.01 issues are and, apparently, that includes massive battery drain. Any tips or tricks on on this? I'm traveling home for Thanksgiving and I would really like my Touch to hold a charge for more than an hour (or something).

For reference I have a Touch 4G.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Burning Beard posted:

I've had my touch for a few months now and it's been really good to me. I upgraded to iOS 5.01 the other night and now may battery life has gone to absolute and utter poo poo. I'm talking I let it sleep for two days and the battery was dead as a doornail. From looking online I realize just the iOS 5.01 issues are and, apparently, that includes massive battery drain. Any tips or tricks on on this? I'm traveling home for Thanksgiving and I would really like my Touch to hold a charge for more than an hour (or something).

For reference I have a Touch 4G.
Go to Settings - Location Services - System Services (at the bottom) and check to see if there's a purple arrow next to Setting Time Zone. If so, turn Setting Time Zone off.

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold
I have an ipod Touch 5th gen with OS 5.0 on it. Somehow the database must be messed up on the ipod because when I browse by artist, the artists are not appearing under the correct letters. For instance, artists starting with the letter R appear under S (and many other mess-ups as well). Should I just delete everything and reload the music or is there someway to have it fix itself?

Edit: I have tried restarting the ipod and resyncing with Itunes. I think I will just reload everything.

kholdstayr fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 23, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So a few weeks ago I decided that I wanted an iPhone. After looking over the options I had, I determined that what I actually want isn't an iPhone, but something identical to an iPhone in practically every way, but with no additional data plan fees. Since I already have a cell phone and cell plan I'm fine with losing the phone functionality, and after looking around a bit it seems like the iPod touch is pretty much literally that - an iPhone without the phone (or GPS, and with a somewhat worse camera, either of which matter to me).

So I've got a few questions regarding this thing:

* This probably isn't the best thread to ask in, but generally speaking, is this thing worth the price? My last iPod was the first generation of video iPod and it's just now starting to poo poo itself which makes me pretty confident in the quality of these things, but it's always worth asking.

* What, if anything, can an iPhone do that an iPod touch can't, outside of the obvious (making calls) and the lack of GPS chip? Are most iPhone apps compatible with the touch, or will I have to be looking for touch-specific apps?

* Is 8gb enough and/or is it worth the extra to go for the larger capacities? My old iPod was, I think, 30gb or so, which turned out to be way more space than I ever needed for it. I think I filled up 10g or so, and most of that was filler that I never actually listened to that only ended up there because I ripped full albums. On the other hand, I was only storing music (and occasionally small videos) on that, where here I'll have all kinds of apps, probably some pictures because of the camera functionality, possibly ebooks, etc etc.

* What functions will require a jailbreak? Also, as far as jailbreaking goes, is tethered my only option?

* How sturdy are these guys? Is a case worth investing in? I tended to prefer the older iPods over the newer ones back when I got mine, because they were bulkier and meatier and generally felt more solid in my hands. Are these guys nice and thick, or are they skinny boys? Are they made of nintendium or is occasionally dropping the thing something to genuinely worry about?

* How's the battery life? Assuming it's used primarily for music and secondarily for games and random apps (but rarely for watching video and almost never for taking video), how many hours could I expect to get out of a charge?

Apologies if these questions are all asked commonly (I'm sure they are), I just don't have time right now to sift through the whole thread. I'll probably at least give it a skim in a few hours.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Disclaimer: I've only had first and third gen Touches, don't have the new one. Also, mine is in range of wifi networks most of the time, which changes its capabilities dramatically.

Funkmaster General posted:

* This probably isn't the best thread to ask in, but generally speaking, is this thing worth the price?
I think so. One of the best electronics purchases I've ever made.

quote:

* What, if anything, can an iPhone do that an iPod touch can't, outside of the obvious (making calls) and the lack of GPS chip?
Pretty much what you said, as far as I know -- phone and GPS stuff. With Facetime and video recording I assume the new Touch has a built-in mic (older ones supported a mic, but only through headphones). I've heard the camera is so bad it's not worth using.

quote:

* Is 8gb enough and/or is it worth the extra to go for the larger capacities?
8 probably won't cut it, unless you tend to stream pretty much everything. An 8 GB Touch will start you out with about 6.4 Gb of free space. Games in particular can get large - up to 1 Gb, and it's not uncommon to see games in the 300-500Mb size range.

quote:

* What functions will require a jailbreak? Also, as far as jailbreaking goes, is tethered my only option?
Can't help you there, I quit jailbreaking a year or two ago. For a Touch, I would guess it's mostly cosmetic (five icon dock) and convenience (easy to get to controls) things.

quote:

* How sturdy are these guys? Is a case worth investing in?
Can't really answer that without knowing you. I've kept mine caseless, but covered in BestSkinsEver for years, and they're fine (the Touches, that is. Had to replace the skin a time or two). Been dropped a few times, but not really abused.

quote:

* How's the battery life?
In my experience, mobile Apple devices tend to match their advertised battery life pretty closely.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
It's absolutely worth the price. It's literally a pocket computer and is capable of doing 95% of what your PC can do. It's a media player, mobile internet device, portable game system, e-reader, and camcorder for $200.

The iPod touch can run any iPhone app. There might be a few that rely on iPhone-specific features like the GPS or compass, but you shouldn't run into any compatibility issues.

I would go with the 32 GB model at a minimum. If you want to load it up with apps and games in addition to media (which you almost certainly will), 8 GB will run out really quickly.

You'll have to jailbreak if you want to install anything that modifies system-wide functionality. Regular iOS apps run in a sandbox, which means they can't do anything that affects other apps or the OS itself. You'll also need to jailbreak if you want to run emulators or anything else that isn't allowed on the app store. I personally find that I can do everything I want to without jailbreaking, but the option is there. I don't know whether there's an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 yet; there's a whole thread about it somewhere in IYG.

The iPod touch has no moving parts and there's hardly any empty space inside. They're sturdy as hell; the only real weak point is the glass screen, although I've dropped mine on its face on a tile floor and the only damage was a little bit of scuffing on the edges of the metal casing.

Battery life varies wildly depending on what you're doing. I can listen to music all night with the screen off, but playing a fancy-pants 3D game burns through the battery really quickly. Turning down the brightness and turning on airplane mode helps somewhat, though.

tldr: get one it's awesome

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love my Touch 4. Actually chopped an iPhone case + back battery cover to make a ghetto case for the thing, since it's almost TOO thin to be comfortable, sometimes. It's worth noting that not only is the ipod thinner, it's a little bit shorter top-to-bottom than an iphone, so you can't just stuff it in a phone case to make it bigger.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've had a 3rd gen and 4th gen, so I've been using an iPod touch for about 2 years or so and it still astonishes me, the visual quality and smooth experience (things seem to be slightly snappier and even less laggy in iOS5) in such a ridiculously small form factor is incredible. I've said it before and I'll say it again: best electronic toy ever.

I'd love an iPhone but having a contract for 24 months comes to over £1k. gently caress that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

I love my Touch 4. Actually chopped an iPhone case + back battery cover to make a ghetto case for the thing, since it's almost TOO thin to be comfortable, sometimes. It's worth noting that not only is the ipod thinner, it's a little bit shorter top-to-bottom than an iphone, so you can't just stuff it in a phone case to make it bigger.
Don't they make cases for the touch? Please post pics of your mcguyver case.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moms pubis posted:

It's literally a pocket computer and is capable of doing 95% of what your PC can do.

I love my ipod touch too, but come on now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

randyest posted:

Don't they make cases for the touch? Please post pics of your mcguyver case.

They do, but they're all ipod shaped, and an iphone was actually easier for me to hold.

It's fairly ugly, but was cheap enough to consider a prototype and toss if I decide I need to redo it better.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

They do, but they're all ipod shaped, and an iphone was actually easier for me to hold.

It's fairly ugly, but was cheap enough to consider a prototype and toss if I decide I need to redo it better.
It is ugly, but I'm impressed you got it to stay on. Did you stuff it with something else besides the touch?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A replacement pane of back glass from an iPhone - exactly thick enough to make it snug.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I have a SwitchEasy Color case and I love it. It really makes the device look unique (and it's nice having it in white while it's still a black ipod touch).
The big home button is actually pretty handy.

http://www.amazon.com/SwitchEasy-Colors-Silicone-Case-Touch/dp/B0049OJNRE

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

I've got an iSkin Touch Duo case. If you're after a case that protects your Touch and also bulks it up a bit, this one is awesome.

https://www.iskin.com/ipod/touchduo4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I just got an ipod touch 64GB 4th gen and I have the latest version of itunes and the last.fm scrobbler installed but nothing scrobbles when I sync my ipod. There's always a message that says no tracks were found. Any advice?

• Locked thread