Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Seoinin posted:

I think Doc Scratch mentions that one of the reasons Vriska even stands a chance against Jack is because of all the XP she got from getting the killing blow on the black king.

Additionally this tells us that Homestuck has a lovely experience system.

Reminder that John and Colonel Sassacre both levelled up after slaying an imp together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I think Boneless Jogger's point was that all the other trolls were already at the top of their respective echeladders and had no ability to advance w/o reaching God-tier themselves.

Edit: also, while she was taunting Tavros before he resolved to fight her she mentioned powerlevelling the remainder of their session after her resurrection while he slept-so there's that too.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 26, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
All the gaming abstractions are just jokes and have no actual relevance.

Legislacerator
Dec 26, 2006

1 W1LL H4V3 ORD3R 1N TH1S RUMPUSBLOCK!
That slab thing that Jake's on does look an awful lot like what Rose and Dave were just chilling on when they made it to The Tumor... But I'm not holding my breath for him to go God Tier.

Not this early on anyway.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
In a shocking twist they'll all die before entry (Jake to that wrestlebot, Jane to a successful assassination attempt, Mom by alcohol poisoning, and Bro of course has been dead in that shower cabin for weeks), leaving the Striderbots to set the game up for them while they somehow god it up in the unprototyped Incipisphere.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'm assuming that Jane's dreamself is awake, in which case doesn't this mean that what she sees as a dream is a real thing that's going on in Prospit at that moment?

Which would mean that Jake's dreamself is dead right at the outset of the game.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Her dreamself is awake before the game just like Jade's and Terezi's were. It is a real thing she is seeing.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

GG posted:

Now let's get this silly old adventure off to the races before the coat of dust it's growing gets any thicker.

Looks like its gametime.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I want someone to try and kill themselves on their quest bed only to be incredibly inept at it.

WHAT NO
THAT'S NOT
OH JEGUS gently caress
JUST loving STAB YOURSELF
NO gently caress DAMMIT
IT'S PRETTY loving SIMPLE
JUST
UGH
JUST LOOK
LOOK AT ALL THIS MESS YOU'VE MADE
HOPE YOU'RE loving PROUD OF YOURSELF

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Which would incidentally make him the first Prospit player to reach the God Tiers in this manner.

So what would happen if he managed to God Tier his dreamself, then God Tier his waking self since they'd both still be alive?

Double hope?

sansuki
May 17, 2003

QueerPope posted:

Perhaps he was assassinated in his sleep by some agents of Derse? Jack Noir ruining stuff for us once again?

So what you are saying is that he was taken out by a sleeper agent?

:smug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wrist Watch posted:

So what would happen if he managed to God Tier his dreamself, then God Tier his waking self since they'd both still be alive?

Double hope?

I'm pretty sure both methods of God-Tier are mutually exclusive. For the first method your realself dies on a quest bed and stays dead while the dreamself ascends. Andrew's Tumblr mentioned that to ascend via quest slab, however, the dying self has to be the only one left, regardless of if it's a dreamself or not.
Self self self.

Also burning perpetually in green fire may or may not be a requirement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, in theory one route that we know would work is if his dead dreamself were second-tiered prototyped. Just have to keep the body safe for a while. I doubt that his dreamself will remain dead though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I want someone to try and kill themselves on their quest bed only to be incredibly inept at it.

WHAT NO
THAT'S NOT
OH JEGUS gently caress
JUST loving STAB YOURSELF
NO gently caress DAMMIT
IT'S PRETTY loving SIMPLE
JUST
UGH
JUST LOOK
LOOK AT ALL THIS MESS YOU'VE MADE
HOPE YOU'RE loving PROUD OF YOURSELF

No you dumb
homo tool, your
STABING
WRONG

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MrBims posted:

Her dreamself is awake before the game just like Jade's and Terezi's were. It is a real thing she is seeing.

Yep. Jake's dreamself was assassinated, and his dreambubble hijacked by LE. Hence waking Jake's peculiar taste in computers.

:tinfoil:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can only hope that John and Jade enter the session and set these kids straight before we get some kind of awkward Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia sloppy makeouts.

Won't someone think of UU's shipping grid?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

If the asteroid duplication theory is correct though, Jake and Jane aren't related. The only way they will be is if there is a second ectobiology session in B2 universe with the order of creation flipped.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
You know, it is possible to care deeply for some one and be neither romantically interested in them nor related to them.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Plom Bar posted:

You know, it is possible to care deeply for some one and be neither romantically interested in them nor related to them.

True but I think the first Jane and Jake chatlog plus Jane's insistence that Mom Lalonde back off make it pretty clear there are some romantic feelings going on.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Also, they are the ectobiological parents of John and Jade. So if it was normal biology, they would have fallen in love and had Jane would have had twins.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mince Pieface posted:

True but I think the first Jane and Jake chatlog plus Jane's insistence that Mom Lalonde back off make it pretty clear there are some romantic feelings going on.
Really? I think I'm going to have to reread the first chat log, because I didn't catch that at all.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
ALSO also, Nanna mentioned that she and Grandpa were "destined to be together" or something and thats why the batterwitch tried to keep them apart.

e: As to the God Tier/Levels thing. It's never mentioned that being at the top of the echeladder was necessary to reach god tier, if I remember right. I mean, I doubt Jade was THAT high up her echeladder before she got killed and God Tier'd. And, I dunno, if you had to be really strong anyway I think it'd take a little of the meaning out of the whole embracing your own death in order to overcome it thing. It's possible, if the XP scales or something, that vriska hadn't finished her echeladder before becoming a god, and just breezed through her challenges until the black king fight. I could be forgetting something though, this is a long comic.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 26, 2011

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Prison Warden posted:

ALSO also, Nanna mentioned that she and Grandpa were "destined to be together" or something and thats why the batterwitch tried to keep them apart.

e: As to the God Tier/Levels thing. It's never mentioned that being at the top of the echeladder was necessary to reach god tier, if I remember right. I mean, I doubt Jade was THAT high up her echeladder before she got killed and God Tier'd. And, I dunno, if you had to be really strong anyway I think it'd take a little of the meaning out of the whole embracing your own death in order to overcome it thing. It's possible, if the XP scales or something, that vriska hadn't finished her echeladder before becoming a god, and just breezed through her challenges until the black king fight. I could be forgetting something though, this is a long comic.

John reached the top of his echeladder (the breeze kneels?) Immediately before god-tiering, and soon after in a vriskalog she talks about him gaining god tier levels

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

RickoniX posted:

John reached the top of his echeladder (the breeze kneels?) Immediately before god-tiering, and soon after in a vriskalog she talks about him gaining god tier levels
Heir Transparent. Come ON, it was even an album title!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RickoniX posted:

It's a flimsy rear end argument I know but: Maybe Vriska doesn't know as much about this God Tier thing as she thinks? And to put on my Doyle Hat, maybe the people who are saying its an idea hussie had then abandoned are right.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

It could be an abandoned idea, but the story implied pretty heavily that there was a secondary echeladder for god tier players, especially since we saw new gates appear above John's quest bed on the battlefield during the resurrection process.

This is one of those things I've been so curious about for so long, but it hasn't appeared relevant to the story or even most of the fans [yet]. Also: none of the kids actually went through every single one of their gates the "normal" way, so maybe none of the god tier gates will be relevant. However, Jade still has all their planets and their battlefield, so who knows what could happen once that stuff gets deployed.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
God tier is a major plot element. It's a reification of the literary concept of heroism as well as a bountiful source of significant drama.

Levels, like boondollars, grist, strife specibi, fraymotifs and other roleplaying game abstractions, are just jokes.

e: I mean what do you expect extra god tier levels to do, plot wise? John reaches god tier level a hundred and is strong enough to go fight lord english with cyclone tornado punch million damage multiplier?

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 26, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fagtastic posted:

God tier is a major plot element. It's a reification of the literary concept of heroism as well as a bountiful source of significant drama.

Levels, like boondollars, grist, strife specibi, fraymotifs and other roleplaying game abstractions, are just jokes.

e: I mean what do you expect extra god tier levels to do, plot wise? John reaches god tier level a hundred and is strong enough to go fight lord english with cyclone tornado punch million damage multiplier?

I'd say grist wound up being much more significant than just a joke.

And while sure, a hypothetical god tier echeladder probably wouldn't mean anything in a technical sense, it might be important in some way in terms of character-building. This is a story about coming-of-age and all, and the echeladder to me always seemed like both a joke AND a way to represent growth, even if only obliquely / once in a while.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If there is a God Tier echeladder, I guarantee it is completely irrelevant beyond joke material.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Waffnuffly posted:

I'd say grist wound up being much more significant than just a joke.
It really didn't.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fagtastic posted:

It really didn't.

It enabled them to build all sorts of weapons, build their houses upwards, and according to the story, the biggest grist hoard of all enables the Ultimate Alchemy which apparently is the creation of a new universe.

Not sure I'd call that a joke but ok! (I mean it's funny and obviously a parody on gaming abstractions, but it serves a real purpose in the story, too.)

I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to speculate about the implications behind certain things said earlier in the story, especially when we were given visuals to go along with them (i.e. the gates appearing when John went god tier). Lots of things remain to be seen.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 26, 2011

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fagtastic posted:

Yeah and something being both a joke AND plot relevant is something so loving crazy and inconceivable I think my eyebrows are about to smash the moon out of the sky by the incredulous look on my face at the suggestion.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fagtastic posted:

Except boondollars just kinda, you know, enabled the kids and trolls to actually start talking to each other.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

oh my god

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think these gaming abstractions only become relevant on a need-be basis. Say Andrew wants a character to have enough grist to create a certain tool. He will just say that the character had enough grist to do this. Likewise, if he doesn't want the character to be able to access this tool (as it would give him the ability to cross some kind of obstacle that he couldn't cross before), he will just say the character didn't collect enough grist to do so yet. There's no great build up or concern for grist deficit— it just is or isn't.

No character will be like, "if only john had killed that last imp, he would have been able to overcome the great felt knight!" If you're looking at this from strictly numbers, you're going about it the wrong way. Hussie has explained (through one of his various forums for explaining things [formspring, MSPA forums]) that levels aren't really important, and that a weaker character can beat a strong character if they are caught at a point of vulnerability. Terezi killing Vriska is a pretty good example of this. I can't find the exact quote, but he used a DBZ reference to scouters and power levels and how this story wasn't like that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

YF-23 posted:

Except boondollars just kinda, you know, enabled the kids and trolls to actually start talking to each other.

Not in any way that made the boondollars themselves important. What was stopping Dave from sending Terezi a message saying "sup sup 413 blind prophets walk into a bar"? The boondollars were a vehicle for a lot of interesting plot stuff that was interesting for reasons completely separate from the existence of boondollars. Up until then they had been useless, and they continued to be useless other than as an arbitrary signal.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fagtastic posted:

oh my god

You know, you can disagree with people without being a complete prick. Example:

Factory Factory posted:

Not in any way that made the boondollars themselves important. What was stopping Dave from sending Terezi a message saying "sup sup 413 blind prophets walk into a bar"? The boondollars were a vehicle for a lot of interesting plot stuff that was interesting for reasons completely separate from the existence of boondollars. Up until then they had been useless, and they continued to be useless other than as an arbitrary signal.

Also, this is a good point and makes sense. Ultimately, I think the gaming abstractions all start as jokes, largely remain jokes, and at times imply something symbolic beyond their original purpose.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Fagtastic posted:

oh my god

Aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure your trolling us, these are getting to be some pretty low content posts y'know.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waffnuffly posted:

It enabled them to build all sorts of weapons, build their houses upwards, and according to the story, the biggest grist hoard of all enables the Ultimate Alchemy which apparently is the creation of a new universe.

Not sure I'd call that a joke but ok! (I mean it's funny and obviously a parody on gaming abstractions, but it serves a real purpose in the story, too.)

I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to speculate about the implications behind certain things said earlier in the story, especially when we were given visuals to go along with them (i.e. the gates appearing when John went god tier). Lots of things remain to be seen.

The limitation on creation/building could have been anything, grist itself is a joke on game constructs, even so far as to how it becomes trivial in the late-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Everything in Homestuck is irrelevant until, suddenly and without warning, it isn't.