Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody know how to make the computer stop going to sleep when I have active downloads on? uTorrent can do it, but Steam does not for some reason. I don't want to turn off power saving entirely...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

notZaar posted:

Does anybody know how to make the computer stop going to sleep when I have active downloads on? uTorrent can do it, but Steam does not for some reason. I don't want to turn off power saving entirely...

If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, go into Power Options in Control Panel and you can change the settings there and keep your system from going to sleep.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just picked up Orcs Must Die, and while the game is awesome I'm still stunned that a PC game in the year 2011 doesn't have configurable controls.

You should be able to edit user.cfg. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2199997

(Doesn't look like it affects the zoom command though.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

spasticColon posted:

If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, go into Power Options in Control Panel and you can change the settings there and keep your system from going to sleep.

Yeah, I would like it to go to sleep if I'm not downloading anything though :I

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

notZaar posted:

Yeah, I would like it to go to sleep if I'm not downloading anything though :I

I am too stupid and lazy to figure out why my computer goes to sleep, even with the power options jobbie telling it never to sleep - so what I do is leave an audio file running or tune into a radio station online and turn down my headphones, seems to do the trick! :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always ghetto it like that as well; Load up a huge playlist of songs that prevent sleep mode and turn off my speakers.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Steam seriously needs to add opt-in options for preventing sleep mode and to allow background downloading while playing a game, or at the very least they should make the library accessible in the overlay. Some games don't like to be Alt-Tab'd Gaben!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never use sleep mode because every time I wake it from it my computer is unstable and buggy as gently caress until I restart.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Is the Logitech G19 still an awesome keyboard to get? I feel that it's time to replace my trusty Logitech S510 and the G19 looks fantastic. Just wanted to check and see if there are any alternatives, even non-Logitech stuff. Although I suppose I am a bit of a Logitech fanboy (G35 headset, G500 mouse, X-530 speakers).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I still like Logitech for my mice as they're the only mice I will use but I'd recommend getting a real keyboard. You are paying like $130 for a gimmicky gaming keyboard and the LCD really doesn't do much at least speaking of the old G15. Well you can watch youtube videos on it but seriously? Also it requires a separate power adapter.

At least Corsair is offering mechanical switches on their gaming keyboard. Although only the more expensive version has macro keys.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I've found my computer never goes into sleep mode if I leave Chrome open. Kind of annoying cause sometimes I want it to and forget, but useful when downloading stuff.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pilkington posted:

Is the Logitech G19 still an awesome keyboard to get? I feel that it's time to replace my trusty Logitech S510 and the G19 looks fantastic. Just wanted to check and see if there are any alternatives, even non-Logitech stuff. Although I suppose I am a bit of a Logitech fanboy (G35 headset, G500 mouse, X-530 speakers).
If you had a G400 or newer mouse a Logitech keyboard might be worth it for the unified gaming software thing, but since the G500 is stuck on SetPoint (:argh:) there's no reason not to go for a mechanical keyboard if you're willing to blow a lot of cash on it.

The Corsair K-90 (which I'd really hope to buy around Christmas) has all the macro keys and media controls you'll want. No LCD screen, but IMO if you're a dedicated nerd you should already have a second monitor ;)

Or, just try a G13 if you're mainly into action/FPS games. Many goons swear by it.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I never understood the whole mechanical vs. standard keyboards thing. I guess it's because I've always used what I assume to be rubber dome keyboards and never had a problem. I like the idea of the LCD on the G19 because of the Vent, TS, and Skype addons so I don't have to tab out to see who's talking. Unfortunately, I don't have room on my desk for a second monitor or the Corsair would be a definite option. Also I would have to buy another monitor which would raise my cost.

I guess what I'm looking for is if there are any major issues with the G19? To me it doesn't seem "gimmicky" because I don't have an issue with it being non-mechanical and I could use the LCD for VoIP programs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NihilCredo posted:

Or, just try a G13 if you're mainly into action/FPS games. Many goons swear by it.

I have one, I hate it for shooters but I love it for WoW/Starcraft 2.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

kombatMedik posted:

I have one, I hate it for shooters but I love it for WoW/Starcraft 2.

I've got one too. It's great for MMOs (anything third-person, really) and I like it for first-person games too. Not necessarily competitive shooters because I don't really play those, but things like Fallout:NV, Morrowind, Skyrim. It's really nice to use.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pilkington posted:

I guess what I'm looking for is if there are any major issues with the G19? To me it doesn't seem "gimmicky" because I don't have an issue with it being non-mechanical and I could use the LCD for VoIP programs.

I have a G19. It works very well with Vent, Mumble, and Teamspeak, as all the overlays show up properly. I don't use the LCD to watch videos because that's useless to me, but I use it for a clock, to mess with the song that's playing (and see what I'm switching to), CPU meter, and Vent monitor.

It's much easier to glance down at the screen, especially as that overlay is more stable than graphical overlays these days (at least the ones I used). I've been using it two years nonstop (got it Dec 2009) and nothing has broken or worn out on it yet. I also like the pretty colors :3:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Okay, I'm hoping someone who frequents this thread can help me out with this.

I want to create a sym link from Skyrim to my Dropbox, however when I attempted to create it, I received an Access Denied message.

Skyrim is on my C:\ Drive and Dropbox stores files on my D:\ Drive. Can anyone write out what the command prompt should look like? I know I'm forgetting something but the basic directions I saw online obviously weren't exactly what I needed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Just use Link Shell Extension instead so you can do it with two right-clicks.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
That program is amazing and you are awesome for knowing about it. Thank you so much!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hey, what are the next hardware "killer apps" expected in the next one or two years of gaming, like Battlefield 3 and to a lesser degree Skyrim were this year?

For example, the games of next year I might find interesting are Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Prototype 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Aliens: Colonial Marines (and, ok, Crusader Kings 2); is anything from that list going to be a bigger drain on resources than Skyrim?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 4, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

Hey, what are the next hardware "killer apps" expected in the next one or two years of gaming, like Battlefield 3 and to a lesser degree Skyrim were this year?

For example, the games of next year I might find interesting are Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Prototype 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines (and, ok, Crusader Kings 2); is anything from that list going to be a bigger drain on resources than Skyrim?

If Skyrim counts, maybe Prey 2?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm guessing "killer apps" means games that have such a huge marketing budget that they have television commercials.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

No, I meant "killer app" in the correct meaning of games that are a big enough motivation of their own to get a new PC/CPU/GPU.

Like, the parts picking megathread has been entitled "The BF3 parts-picking megathread" for the last few weeks, because everyone and their brother was asking "is my PC able / what PC should I buy to play BF3 (and Skyrim)?"; what is the next BF3 going to be for which everyone scrambles to make sure their rig is up to snuff?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

If you are wondering about hardware crushing games, I'm not aware of anything in particular. Games are in the weird time between consoles that any cross platform game will be slightly better on PC but not requiring any huge upgrades. Skyrim is not a demanding game in the least, it uses 2 threads by default, you can maybe get it to use a small amount of a third with some of the INI tweaks.

Unless some of those games you listed will have a team dedicated to bringing some new options to the PC version, I wouldn't think they would be very demanding.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

what is the next BF3 going to be for which everyone scrambles to make sure their rig is up to snuff?
BF3 isn't even really that system intensive. In my experience it actually runs better than Bad Company 2 did on equal hardware. That said, it's much higher profile and a lot more popular, so it spurred people to upgrade I suppose.

At the end of the day, anything that's cross-platform with 6 year-old consoles is never gonna be a true killer app. We haven't seen a PC game that actually combined system requirements with extreme notoriety since Crysis. Metro 2033 is a more modern system-killer, but not nearly as popular. The same could be said about The Witcher 2.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hm. So all of the sudden, my wireless xbox 360 USB adapter isn't working. No idea why. The controller itself works fine, the problem is the wireless dongle for it- no green light, plugging it in or taking it out isn't causing any recognition on Windows' part. Looks like it might just be dead. I'd rather not buy a new one, especially since they're kind of hard to find these days and cost like $20, but I doubt Microsoft will replace this. It's like three years old, by now.

Anyone else have this problem?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I haven't had that issue. I did though buy mine from Dealextreme for like 11 dollars and free shipping, and it's a complete knock-off. So if you don't resolve the issue I would recommend replacing it from there (though shipping does take time as it's straight from China).

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hm. So all of the sudden, my wireless xbox 360 USB adapter isn't working. No idea why. The controller itself works fine, the problem is the wireless dongle for it- no green light, plugging it in or taking it out isn't causing any recognition on Windows' part. Looks like it might just be dead. I'd rather not buy a new one, especially since they're kind of hard to find these days and cost like $20, but I doubt Microsoft will replace this. It's like three years old, by now.

Anyone else have this problem?
Common problem, its fuse is failure prone. If you're willing to solder, you can just solder a bypass (google a guide) to fix it.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

No, I meant "killer app" in the correct meaning of games that are a big enough motivation of their own to get a new PC/CPU/GPU.

Like, the parts picking megathread has been entitled "The BF3 parts-picking megathread" for the last few weeks, because everyone and their brother was asking "is my PC able / what PC should I buy to play BF3 (and Skyrim)?"; what is the next BF3 going to be for which everyone scrambles to make sure their rig is up to snuff?

Wikipedia says that the Unreal Engine 4 will be released in 2012 at the earliest. I'd expect a lot of games will use it, and it would theoretically be a good idea to build a system fairly soon to take advantage of that (only theoretically, since there's no telling what its requirements would be). They're targeting it to work on the next generation of consoles, so talking about killer apps for the PC is kind of like talking about what games will be coming out for the PS4.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

notZaar posted:

Steam seriously needs to add opt-in options for preventing sleep mode and to allow background downloading while playing a game, or at the very least they should make the library accessible in the overlay. Some games don't like to be Alt-Tab'd Gaben!

An official feature of Steam is that it will download games in the background while playing other games (without you having to manually alt-tab out, pause the updating which is permanently frozen, then restart it), or at least it used to be. Even has old Steam support posts talking about it. Problem is, never worked in years, which is hilarious considering most people will jump on broken features but Valve found the ultimate way around that, just let everyone forget it was supposed to be there and they don't have to fix it.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

nessin posted:

An official feature of Steam is that it will download games in the background while playing other games (without you having to manually alt-tab out, pause the updating which is permanently frozen, then restart it), or at least it used to be. Even has old Steam support posts talking about it. Problem is, never worked in years, which is hilarious considering most people will jump on broken features but Valve found the ultimate way around that, just let everyone forget it was supposed to be there and they don't have to fix it.

It still does that, it just automatically pauses downloads when you launch a game. You can minimize the game and resume the download and it'll work fine.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

NihilCredo posted:

For example, the games of next year I might find interesting are Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Prototype 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Aliens: Colonial Marines (and, ok, Crusader Kings 2); is anything from that list going to be a bigger drain on resources than Skyrim?

Serious Sam 3 hit the hardware pretty hard. It also kicks rear end.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Less Fat Luke posted:

I haven't had that issue. I did though buy mine from Dealextreme for like 11 dollars and free shipping, and it's a complete knock-off. So if you don't resolve the issue I would recommend replacing it from there (though shipping does take time as it's straight from China).

Thanks for the tip. After failing a service call with Microsoft to get a new one, I put out an order for one of these.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

There's pretty much nothing at all coming out for a good while. Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Serious Sam 3, BF3, and MW3 were all huge releases and now the "Coming Soon" section on Steam is kind of bare. Metro: Last Light will come out some time next year and, if it's at all like the first game, it will hit your computer harder than Crysis ever did and be way more fun. If you haven't played Metro 2033 you should definitely pick it up.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008
My logitech G5 just bit the dust and it seems like today's mouse offerings are just terrible. I got a G500 and returned it a day later because the scroll wheel existed in some parallel universe where there was no friction. Frantically fighting large groups of enemies in Skyrim caused my camera to wildly switch between first and third person, and that was with the lowest sensitivity to the scroll wheel.

All I want I want is something wired, with adjustable DPI through buttons, a scroll wheel that "clicks", and a back and forward button on the side. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Also, I have been told the Cyborg R.A.T. 3, but I personally have never had a mad catz product last more than 3 months so I am hesitant.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

night_chrono posted:

My logitech G5 just bit the dust and it seems like today's mouse offerings are just terrible. I got a G500 and returned it a day later because the scroll wheel existed in some parallel universe where there was no friction. Frantically fighting large groups of enemies in Skyrim caused my camera to wildly switch between first and third person, and that was with the lowest sensitivity to the scroll wheel.

All I want I want is something wired, with adjustable DPI through buttons, a scroll wheel that "clicks", and a back and forward button on the side. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Also, I have been told the Cyborg R.A.T. 3, but I personally have never had a mad catz product last more than 3 months so I am hesitant.

Did you try using the big button behind the wheel?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

night_chrono posted:

SteelSeries Ikari has been working well for me for the past few months.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

night_chrono posted:

The button behind the wheel on the G500 switches between clicky and free spin modes.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

Frog posted:

The button behind the wheel on the G500 switches between clicky and free spin modes.

The packaging never mentioned that, and Best Buy didn't advertise that feature. Of course the newegg page has it blatantly in the title.

Well I already returned it, guess I could always just order one from newegg for $15 cheaper.

Thanks all for the help.

night_chrono fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

night_chrono posted:

This is hilarious. That feature is one of the best things about the mouse. Click off the clicks and fly down webpages. If this was really the only problem with it, I would recommend buying another and cheaper from Newegg is good.

• Locked thread