Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Morpheus posted:

Welp, just ordered Chew vol 1, Unwritten vol 1, and Atomic Robo vol 2 off of Amazon. Hope you're all happy that my money is just flying away. Like little green birdies.

(Vertigo is one of my favourite publishers. Them and Image.)

I wish there were more hardcovers though. I always dislike getting a bunch of TPB, and then soon after some hardcover collection comes out and I'm all :saddowns:

There's a Chew hardcover...

But don't expect hardcovers from Vertigo, they are only for their most popular series, and even then, often only years later.

The hardcovers that were released for Y are pretty much the exception (with Preacher being a different, more expensive, beast too).

Still waiting on the Lucifer hardcovers that are never coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
100 bullets hardcovers are nice so far

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Just finished the Leviathan storyline of Unwritten. If you're waiting for the moment that puts the series up to Lucifer's level of brilliance, this is it.

I wish the series was finished so I could just binge on it in a couple of sittings like I did with Lucifer.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I wish the series was finished so I could just binge on it in a couple of sittings like I did with Lucifer.

Has Carey indicated how long he might expect the series to go on? I read the first trade or two and while I loved it, I definitely want that "reading start to finish" feeling. Didn't know if he's ever indicated if he has a set ending in mind. That's the same reason I've been hesitant to start Scalped, just because I'm seeing if I can make myself wait for the complete series.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Carey said 60-70 issues roundabout, but he doesn't have it set in stone.

https://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc2011-unwritten-goes-twice-monthly-110722.html

Not sure if that number counts the .5's they are making now. I hope not. I could read 200 issues of this.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

Cael posted:

That's the same reason I've been hesitant to start Scalped, just because I'm seeing if I can make myself wait for the complete series.

Well, good news, Scalped is ending with issue 60. Pretty standard length for a Vertigo series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If there's one thing you can love about Vertigo other than the quality, it's that the stories quit while they're ahead before they descend into self-parody.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If there's one thing you can love about Vertigo other than the quality, it's that the stories quit while they're ahead before they descend into self-parody.
Except for Fables.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ghost Boner posted:

Well, good news, Scalped is ending with issue 60. Pretty standard length for a Vertigo series.

This is indeed good news, glad it wasn't going to run for an eternity and turn poo poo like Fables/ almost Sandman.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
What's a good order to read entire runs for someone who has never read any Vertigo books? Does it matter?

So like, Preacher, Lucifer, Trans, etc.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Every Vertigo series I can think of is set in its own separate universe except Sandman and Lucifer, but one isn't required reading for the other. Lucifer is a spinoff from Sandman, but it isn't a huge deal if you grabbed Lucifer first.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Every Vertigo series I can think of is set in its own separate universe except Sandman and Lucifer, but one isn't required reading for the other. Lucifer is a spinoff from Sandman, but it isn't a huge deal if you grabbed Lucifer first.

Hellblazer, Books of Magic and Tim Hunter is all in the main Universe.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Well you could technically make connections between Sandman/Lucifer/Hellblazer/Swamp Thing/Shade the Changing Man/Sandman Mystery Theatre and probably more that I'm forgetting that at one time or another were in the "main" DC Universe, but yeah, every series basically stands on it's own and you should only read stuff that sounds interesting to you. Someone who like Y: The Last Man might not necessarily enjoy Preacher, but almost everything is worth checking out at least the first collection of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

xK1 posted:

Well you could technically make connections between Sandman/Lucifer/Hellblazer/Swamp Thing/Shade the Changing Man/Sandman Mystery Theatre and probably more that I'm forgetting that at one time or another were in the "main" DC Universe, but yeah, every series basically stands on it's own and you should only read stuff that sounds interesting to you. Someone who like Y: The Last Man might not necessarily enjoy Preacher, but almost everything is worth checking out at least the first collection of.

I am not sure about Shade, but since Hellblazer, Sandman, and Swamp Thing all made appearances in the main universe and since Morpheus appeared in Green Arrow and Sandman Mystery Theater.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure about Shade, but since Hellblazer, Sandman, and Swamp Thing all made appearances in the main universe and since Morpheus appeared in Green Arrow and Sandman Mystery Theater.

Shade's an old Ditko character. He definitely was main DCU. And he's recently been in Hellblazer so there's a connection there too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shameless posted:

Shade's an old Ditko character. He definitely was main DCU. And he's recently been in Hellblazer so there's a connection there too.

Ah I need to get back on the horse with Hellblazer. However, I am properly going to use all my extra cash to get the issues that have not been collected on comixology.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hasn't Constantine met like Batman and company or has he only met Etrigan, Swampthing, the Stranger etc.. I can't ever follow. I was positive that there has been at least one "super" story with Hellblazer.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Hollis posted:

Hasn't Constantine met like Batman and company or has he only met Etrigan, Swampthing, the Stranger etc.. I can't ever follow. I was positive that there has been at least one "super" story with Hellblazer.

He was in the COIE crossover issue of Swamp Thing, where he seemed to know just about everybody. I think he had a run-in with Batman in a separate issue, too. I think they kept him separate from all the capes once Hellblazer started, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

He was in the COIE crossover issue of Swamp Thing, where he seemed to know just about everybody. I think he had a run-in with Batman in a separate issue, too. I think they kept him separate from all the capes once Hellblazer started, though.

He banged Zatanna and had her at his 40, and he was in COIE. He is also responsible for Zatanna dad's death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John and Swamp Thing were at Hal Jordan's funeral in Green Lantern #81. That was back when they were pushing hard for the return of all Vertigo characters back to the DCU.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing had him prominently in it ,but Delano when he was writing it wrote it as if he wasn't in the universe at all. Garth Ennis seemed to sometimes write DC character in but most of the time just treated as a completely seperate series.

The reason I ask is that, I'm trying to figure out what version of hell is in the DC universe as it seems to just be written a thousand different ways.

Brain Sale
Feb 12, 2008

Hollis posted:

Yeah, the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing had him prominently in it ,but Delano when he was writing it wrote it as if he wasn't in the universe at all. Garth Ennis seemed to sometimes write DC character in but most of the time just treated as a completely seperate series.

The reason I ask is that, I'm trying to figure out what version of hell is in the DC universe as it seems to just be written a thousand different ways.

Sorry, there are thousands of hells in the DC universe. Deal with it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hollis posted:

When Hal became the Spectre, there was an answer given to why it is he saw a mostly Christian/Catholic styled heaven. The universe conforms to your expectations of an afterlife. This is somewhat reinforced in Lucifer, too, when he insists that he doesn't trade in souls or insist on punishing man for their sins, they bring it upon themselves, though the vertigo series were often more of an "it all exists, but they aren't all the same" kind of idea.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sandman also said that. You went to the afterlife that you believed in.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Sandman also said that. You went to the afterlife that you believed in.

This has become a very popular concept in recent fiction.

I think, in a way, it reflects the changing demographics of religion, as people start being exposed to new ideas FAR younger than ever possible before. Thus they start working out their own interpretations to fit with the vast, vast, vast world of differing opinions.

In this era of mass communication, it'd be a very deliberately ignorant author to UN expose himself to the sheer diversity of belief in the world and how maybe what you grew up with isn't 100% true...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 28, 2011

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did Spaceman come out today? My comic book shop owner said it didn't ship.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Rand alPaul posted:

Did Spaceman come out today? My comic book shop owner said it didn't ship.

Your owner's full of it, Spaceman #2 definitely came out today.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

d00gZ posted:

Your owner's full of it, Spaceman #2 definitely came out today.

NOOOOOooooo :( It's the only reason I went into the shop!

I guess I should order it online? I've been looking forward to it all month.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 1, 2011

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently, I completed missed JLA Dark which apparently has John Constantine in it, which I think will be like 20 or so years since he's been in a DC comic. I think the last thing he was even sort of min was brief appearance in Crisis. I think their still keeping the books seperate.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Hollis posted:

Apparently, I completed missed JLA Dark which apparently has John Constantine in it, which I think will be like 20 or so years since he's been in a DC comic. I think the last thing he was even sort of min was brief appearance in Crisis. I think their still keeping the books seperate.

Yeah they are, JLA Dark Constantine is not Vertigo Constantine. And let's all pray it stays that way.

And DCU Constantine actually came back just before the reboot at the end of Brightest Day.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 2, 2011

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Isn't Milligan writing both versions of John, though? What's he doing differently in the Justice League Dark?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hollis posted:

Apparently, I completed missed JLA Dark which apparently has John Constantine in it, which I think will be like 20 or so years since he's been in a DC comic.

It's really bad.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Isn't Milligan writing both versions of John, though? What's he doing differently in the Justice League Dark?

Writing it about 100 times worse than he is the vertigo series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Bill Willingham issued an idiotic statement about the comparisons between Fables and Once Upon A Time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35737

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

So Bill Willingham issued an idiotic statement about the comparisons between Fables and Once Upon A Time.

He's denying that there's any substantial relationship between Once and Fables. It's pretty far from the dumbest thing Willingham's ever done.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of confused how this is idiotic. It seems like, despite the appearance that Once was a Fables knock-off, he's telling people that a) it's not and b) let it be.

I don't really like Willingham's works at all, but this is probably the best thing he could have done in this scenario.

It would be one thing if this were like The Matrix, where there was a lot of talk about Invisibles comics floating around the set, but it really doesn't seem to be that way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry, it's the way he issued the statement, the self interview annoys the poo poo out of me.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

Sorry, it's the way he issued the statement, the self interview annoys the poo poo out of me.

You're right, it is annoying. I was going to try to defend him because it can be tough to make a well written 'I'm not angry' statement.

Then I remembered that he's a writer. Writing is his job and you'd think he could do it in a way that doesn't make you roll your eyes while grinding your teeth, thus causing weird facial cramps.

Bill Willingham - Good for plot, bad for dialog.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

You're right, it is annoying. I was going to try to defend him because it can be tough to make a well written 'I'm not angry' statement.

Then I remembered that he's a writer. Writing is his job and you'd think he could do it in a way that doesn't make you roll your eyes while grinding your teeth, thus causing weird facial cramps.

Bill Willingham - Good for plot, bad for dialog.

He wrote War Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I just took Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman, Voodoo and Stormwatch out of my pull lists and replaced them with every single Vertigo on-going. I can't believe how good these books are and it makes me said that I didn't get into Vertigo sooner.

I've also bought around 100 or so back issues of Sandman, Lucifer and Preacher but sadly it's mostly Lucifer and I want to wait on that until I've got a complete run of Preacher. It's gonna take a while because I'm really not into trades/hardcovers I like having the actual issues.

Still - thanks for this thread, I don't know if I would have looked much deeper into Vertigo without it.

• Locked thread