Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

My parents are bugging me to clear my old lego out of storage when I'm around for Thanksgiving. I'd like to try building something interesting-ish, but I know when I was a kid I heavily prioritized my purchases based on cool minifigs and accessories so I assume I'll have disappointingly few structural pieces to work with. What's the cheapest way to get bulk generic bricks? Ebay?

Well, you have two options. One is to try to buy lots that are specifically just 1xX/wxX/etc lots. As these will obviously be prre-sorted, you'll probably pay more per part. The other is to just buy large bulk lots of mixed bricks, which will obviously get you all manner of stuff. eBay is a good option for either one, and for the latter, goodwill has an auction website that's a good resource as well. Im not sure what a good price in the first scenario would be, but in the latter, don't pay more than $6-7/lb, unless they're like "includes XYZ sets" or something, possibly even then.

I bought well over a hundred pounds of Lego this way, and believe me, you get a crapload of stuff. It'll just take you awhile to sort...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011
I hadn't seen this posted yet so I figured I'd share.
http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/8020/lego-hardcore-show

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Man, it looks like he built that entire thing through Designed By Me (judging from the stack of boxes in one of the pictures). It must've cost a fortune.

Ah, found more info on it: http://sascha.mehlhase.info/physics.php?open=atlaslego

9500 pieces, about €2000. Looks like a big chunk of the volume is generic bricks, so he probably could've done a lot better through Bricklink.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 24, 2011

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007
Wal-Mart is having a big box with (I think) 1200 pieces for $30 on black Friday. Just basic pieces, squares and what not, but still a good deal I guess.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

fireWARKs posted:

I just found out that a Lego store is going to open in my area in the near future, and I'm really keen on getting a part-time job there. I submitted my info to their online job-search-thing, and I was wondering if any of you have an "inside track" on how the hiring process goes for new retail locations. I have a full-time job already so this would be a nights/weekends deal - do you think I have a shot?

I'm all giddy at the notion of working at a Lego store :3:

So I just got a job at the Lego store about a month ago. I went in, filled out an interest card, did the online application, and waited until after the weekend when the manager was back and set up an interview.

Since its a new store it may be different, but if you have any retail experience, it should be easy. And the stores are the busiest on weekends and after school is out, so they'll need people for those times. As long as you're friendly and know about Lego, you should be fine. One of my coworkers didn't even really know about Lego when she was hired!

Good luck! Just give the manager a call if you have a number for them and set up an interview, that would be my advice!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What, she literally didnt know that Lego existed before the job? :what:

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

What, she literally didnt know that Lego existed before the job? :what:

No, she had just never really owned any sets or built anything. Now she's been there for 2 years!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And has an entire section of her home dedicated to lego?

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Pretty much everyone I work with does. There's a guy I work with who just finished this iron builder competition last night. He's done some amazing things, and always has a few exhibits at BrickCon.

As for me, I bought the Star Wars advent calendar, and since I'm now an adult living on my own, built all the mini sets. They look really cool! I'm glad we have more than just a city one this year. And come on, Yoda in a Santa costume!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Twistershift posted:

Wal-Mart is having a big box with (I think) 1200 pieces for $30 on black Friday. Just basic pieces, squares and what not, but still a good deal I guess.

It appears it's 5512, the XXL Box, with 1600 pieces. As near as I can tell, it hasn't previously been available in the US, and the prices on Brickset are €60 and £50. $30 is nearly a 2/3rds price cut.
It's a good way to get a pile of bricks, but keep in mind that of those 1600 bricks, nearly half are just 1x2 and 2x2 bricks.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Pyroclastic posted:

It appears it's 5512, the XXL Box, with 1600 pieces. As near as I can tell, it hasn't previously been available in the US, and the prices on Brickset are €60 and £50. $30 is nearly a 2/3rds price cut.
It's a good way to get a pile of bricks, but keep in mind that of those 1600 bricks, nearly half are just 1x2 and 2x2 bricks.

Wow that's super stingy with the slopes and the non-red-or-black.

On the other hand, for $30, I wouldn't pass it up.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

So today I discovered that a nearby candy store, of all places, has a small Lego display. This display includes minifigs. But if that's not enough, they are NUMBERED with the key available upon request. I did a few spot-checks and they seemed accurate.

I know where I'm going to get my minifigs now. :toot:

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

So today I discovered that a nearby candy store, of all places, has a small Lego display. This display includes minifigs. But if that's not enough, they are NUMBERED with the key available upon request. I did a few spot-checks and they seemed accurate.

I know where I'm going to get my minifigs now. :toot:

Its not even Brick Friday, my store has been sold out of series 5 since Thursday, and we don't get more until next week. I'm just glad I'm not going to have to help a million people search through them!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Barnes & Noble is having a black Friday sale where you can get 50% off one item from their toys and games section, which includes LEGOs. Seems like a good opportunity to get one of the big sets at half price if you have one nearby.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like Amazon's deal pales in comparision to the Walmart deal: a tub of 405 pieces for $27.

LEGO Ultimate Building Set - 405 Pieces (6166)

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
If the Walmart deal is actually that XXL box for 30$, that's a pretty good deal. Consider that your average LB of LEGO is roughly 300 pieces, and the XXL set is 1600 pieces, that comes down to a half decent bulk price of 5.62$ an LB for brand new pieces.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

ColorblindDesigner posted:

I hadn't seen this posted yet so I figured I'd share.
http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/8020/lego-hardcore-show

Thats amazing

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

I picked up one of these in Canada for $40. If anyone goes looking for them they are usually not in the LEGO aisle, but in a seasonal/promo area labeled "Top toys for XMAS".

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
I caved and got the Star Wars advent calendar for my desk at work. Come onnnn Dec 1!

I really wish there was another one around, the Star Wars one just isn't Christmas-y enough.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

CADPAT posted:

I caved and got the Star Wars advent calendar for my desk at work. Come onnnn Dec 1!

I really wish there was another one around, the Star Wars one just isn't Christmas-y enough.

I picked up one in August for my girlfriend, I've had to look at it wanting to open it for close to 3 months now. :shepface:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My mom was one of those crazy people who got up early and went to Walmart, so I asked her to pick me up one of those $30 tubs...

No dice. The folks at the store said it was the first thing to sell out.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

CADPAT posted:

There is a city advent calendar as well.. I picked one up for my boys. Last year we got the castle and city one, but the castle one wasn't christmas-y, so we opted just do the city one this year.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

CADPAT posted:

I do love the Yoda dressed as Santa, though. A lot of people who have come into my store have bought it just for that reason.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Just got back from Barnes & Noble. At first I was disappointed to find that their 50% off did not apply to LEGO Architecture. However that disappointment left as soon as I saw that it did apply to ADU HQ.
Can't wait to put that one together.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Fozzie Bear posted:

There is a city advent calendar as well.. I picked one up for my boys. Last year we got the castle and city one, but the castle one wasn't christmas-y, so we opted just do the city one this year.

I looked for the city one but couldn't find it anywhere in stores :(

e: On a different topic, I recently have the opportunity to get the TIE Advanced (Vader's TIE), a TIE Fighter and a TIE Interceptor for 60$. Are these sets fun/worth it. I'm really on the fence. They don't come with manuals/boxes so I doubt they'll accrue in value, but if they're fun it still may be worth it. I checked and the price is on the low end of the Bricklink used section so it seems like an OK deal, but I need to justify it to my wallet.

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 25, 2011

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Dang the Imperial Shuttle popped up on Amazon's Black Friday deals, but it's only marked down to $198 (from the usual $233/$260 retail).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Squashy Nipples posted:

My mom was one of those crazy people who got up early and went to Walmart, so I asked her to pick me up one of those $30 tubs...

No dice. The folks at the store said it was the first thing to sell out.

I stayed at home and ordered online from Wal-Mart and got two. From what I've been reading elsewhere, it has randomly been going in and out of stock online all day if you want to try your luck there.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 26, 2011

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I hit up Target and got the Scorpion Pyramid for $65 - there were a few bucks off a few other things but that was the best deal and it seems nobody was grabbing it, which confused me because pyramids rule.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

CADPAT posted:

I looked for the city one but couldn't find it anywhere in stores :(

e: On a different topic, I recently have the opportunity to get the TIE Advanced (Vader's TIE), a TIE Fighter and a TIE Interceptor for 60$. Are these sets fun/worth it. I'm really on the fence. They don't come with manuals/boxes so I doubt they'll accrue in value, but if they're fun it still may be worth it. I checked and the price is on the low end of the Bricklink used section so it seems like an OK deal, but I need to justify it to my wallet.

Pretty cheap for a couple fun sets. I'd buy it - and would be interested if you pass, lol.

sybir fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 26, 2011

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Has Lego ever issued completely blank solid-color minifig torsos, or am I just looking at a really, really faded piece?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gabriel Pope posted:

Has Lego ever issued completely blank solid-color minifig torsos, or am I just looking at a really, really faded piece?

I'm sure someone else could give you better better, but I remember having a few blank torsos in my collection.

They usually came with non-themed sets or old City sets.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Gabriel Pope posted:

Some of the recent creator sets that included minifigs had blank torsos.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes. Many sets have had them. A lot of the earliest minifig torsos used stickers rather than printing, and they've continued to have unprinted ones in sets to this day AFAIK.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

memy posted:

Just got back from Barnes & Noble. At first I was disappointed to find that their 50% off did not apply to LEGO Architecture. However that disappointment left as soon as I saw that it did apply to ADU HQ.
Can't wait to put that one together.

Wow bummer. The location next to me had Architecture under the 50% off, the wife and I just finished putting together Falling Water.

Speaking of which, freaking awesome set. I was skeptical, its kinda tiny, but at $50 there was no turning it down. Its just a crazy awesome build, so much detail, really fun to put together.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I've seen the catalog listing for these for a while, but this is the first I've seen pictures of the SW "planet sets". I got them from Brickset.

So we get an OK-I-guess micro ship, a minifigure and a big dish piece, I think? Maybe more than one dish piece to make a sphere? Anyone know anything more about these? I'll be shocked if they come in under $15 for their ~50 pieces.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I've seen the catalog listing for these for a while, but this is the first I've seen pictures of the SW "planet sets". I got them from Brickset.

So we get an OK-I-guess micro ship, a minifigure and a big dish piece, I think? Maybe more than one dish piece to make a sphere? Anyone know anything more about these? I'll be shocked if they come in under $15 for their ~50 pieces.

These remind me of those small Pod sets they used to have. They made little robots or monsters or whatever.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Fooley posted:

These remind me of those small Pod sets they used to have. They made little robots or monsters or whatever.

I bet you're right. The parts would be contained inside the planet. Those pods owned, though, because the pods themselves were really useful pieces.

From flickr

I'm not so convinced about these "planets", but who knows.

v Yeah, there's that. Better get to work on it in preparation.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The only use I can imagine for those printed(?) dish pieces is neat wall decorations in a giant space command room. Which is to say, they could be the best pieces ever.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

That micro Tie Interceptor is bitchin. Of course, its Star Wars license so it will be stupid expensive for a small part count. Ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
So I casually mentioned to the director of my independent study that I am quite fond of Lego. He gave me this:

And this:

Unfortunately, some of them are a little chewed up. :ohdear: Poor Harry Potter...

It was really kind of him to give me a paper box filled to the brim with Lego, so I'm totally not complaining that I had to toss some out.

There were a good number of Mega Blocks and other non-Lego blocks, but probably 90% of the box was genuine Lego. I have no clue what some of these pieces are for, though. The sorting is done (Thanksgiving project) soon I will be building. :dance: