Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

GregNorc posted:

R stuff

Some general R tips:
  • When you need help with a function (i.e., write.csv) enter ?write.csv or help(write.csv) in R and it'll give you a manpage-like description of the function.
  • The CRAN manuals are good, also check out Quick-R. This helped me get up to speed.
  • A GUI like RStudio may be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Hey guys, I'm a freshman in college so I'm just kinda planning things out now for a Major in Computer Science (in an engineering program if that changes anything, doubt it will but the curriculum might be different, who knows), and I know Linear Algebra is really important for CompSci and it's required by my school either way. On the other hand, Differential Equations isn't, and I was just wondering if a class in it would be worth it? Does it apply to the field nearly as much as Linear Algebra?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gogey posted:

Hey guys, I'm a freshman in college so I'm just kinda planning things out now for a Major in Computer Science (in an engineering program if that changes anything, doubt it will but the curriculum might be different, who knows), and I know Linear Algebra is really important for CompSci and it's required by my school either way. On the other hand, Differential Equations isn't, and I was just wondering if a class in it would be worth it? Does it apply to the field nearly as much as Linear Algebra?

Not as much, but most engineering programs require it. Are you sure you can get away without it?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Not as much, but most engineering programs require it. Are you sure you can get away without it?

Yeah, positive. It's either take Diff EQ with a third physics course(Waves, optics, etc), or just take a second chem or a 3000 level statistics course with no prereqs. I tested out of the first chem, and haven't taken it since Junior year in HS, so I'll probably end up doing stat.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Statistics will be a lot more useful than diffeq.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, go with statistics. The CS program I'm in requires it, and it's a useful class to take.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nthing this. DiffE is not particularly useful for CS unless you're planning to get into EE integrated circuit design stuff. Statistics, on the other hand, is drat useful.

Horrible, but useful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, what those guys said.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the world would be a better place if probability/statistics was a mandatory class for everyone

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

the world would be a better place if probability/statistics was a mandatory class for everyone

At was at my school, but so was DiffE and I failed that one hard. Only class I've ever failed in my entire life. :smith:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

I have to take a general Engineering Statistics course no matter what, and then I think the title of the extra course may be Basic Probability? I'm not exactly sure, it's a year or two off so I'm not too worried about it quite yet. Thanks a lot guys!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I'm looking for an bug/feature tracking program I can use for a personal project. Must be free, web based, and fairly simple. Any suggestions?

By 'simple' I mean I'd like to enter issues with titles/descriptions, update their statuses, and track the dates items were found/completed.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Orzo posted:

I'm looking for an bug/feature tracking program I can use for a personal project. Must be free, web based, and fairly simple. Any suggestions?

By 'simple' I mean I'd like to enter issues with titles/descriptions, update their statuses, and track the dates items were found/completed.

redmine is more than you need, but several coworkers of mine have used it and like it a lot

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Orzo posted:

Github Issues seems like it fits the bill.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

No Safe Word posted:

redmine is more than you need, but several coworkers of mine have used it and like it a lot

I'll second this, especially if you may also want the wiki feature in the future. I've been using it for a while and I rather like it. Setup was reasonably simple, as I recall. The only problem I've run into with it is that it uses a sort of obscene amount of memory for what it does, at least in its default configuration. It probably isn't bad enough to cause a problem for most people though. It only hurt me because I have it running on a fairly cheap VPS.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

yaoi prophet posted:

Github Issues seems like it fits the bill.
If I'm reading correctly, that isn't free unless you're open source, which I'm not.

I'll check out redmine.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Orzo posted:

If I'm reading correctly, that isn't free unless you're open source, which I'm not.

I'll check out redmine.

BitBucket allows unlimited private repos for free, though I've never used their issue tracker. They do Git repositories now, too.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

This isn't exactly a programming question, more of a "who the gently caress knows what Facebook is doing" question, but since Facebook refuses to have a useful support system, I thought I might ask since SA is usually helpful.

My wife has created a facebook page (as in, a public figure page) and we've checked every option we can find to allow tagging, but I (and anyone else) are still unable to tag the page in photos or posts, even though I even have "liked" the page.

Does anyone know how this REALLY works? Anyone we've asked with a page that can be tagged just seems to say "I don't know, it just worked for me."

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Guys, I can't get into #cobol, what's the deal with synirc?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Vanadium posted:

Guys, I can't get into #cobol, what's the deal with synirc?

Looks like an overzelous anti-spambot campaign. Death to idlers by the looks of it.

zybourne irc anyone?

https://forum.synirc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1118

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Yeah synirc is fine now. Everyone was getting k/b'd earlier.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I want to make sure people visiting a webpage from a certain ip are shown a different file than everyone else.

So instead of https://www.domain.com/index.php they would see https://www.domain.com/index2.php.

I tried setting it up in .htaccess, but I keep getting errors. I attempted to follow what was written here.

What I currently have in my .htaccess:

code:
<FilesMatch "\.(ttf|otf|eot|woff)$">
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    </IfModule>
</FilesMatch>

DirectoryIndex index.php

CheckSpelling On

ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

RewriteEngine ON
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.html?$ / [NC,R,L]
Any help would be appreciated.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ZeeBoi posted:

I want to make sure people visiting a webpage from a certain ip are shown a different file than everyone else.

So instead of https://www.domain.com/index.php they would see https://www.domain.com/index2.php.

I tried setting it up in .htaccess, but I keep getting errors. I attempted to follow what was written here.

What I currently have in my .htaccess:

code:
<FilesMatch "\.(ttf|otf|eot|woff)$">
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    </IfModule>
</FilesMatch>

DirectoryIndex index.php

CheckSpelling On

ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

RewriteEngine ON
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.html?$ / [NC,R,L]
Any help would be appreciated.

Is this to play a joke/custom intranet or is it to cloak pages? Because the search engine guys don't like it when you show their robot one thing and 'real' users another...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm trying to download the economic data for the last 5 years from this site: http://www.briefing.com/investor/calendars/economic/2011/12/05-09/ where the URL can be iterated through each week of each year.

As far as downloading the table data into csv format, is there a better option than iMacros for Firefox?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Is this to play a joke/custom intranet or is it to cloak pages? Because the search engine guys don't like it when you show their robot one thing and 'real' users another...

This times a thousand. Google will gently caress you up if you cloak.

What are the errors Apache throws?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It's so that people visiting the page from within the place I work at see a different version of the page without facebook and twitter widgets, since both those sites are blocked by the firewall and their browsers keep throwing up content filter warnings which we'd like to just avoid.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm trying to download the economic data for the last 5 years from this site: http://www.briefing.com/investor/calendars/economic/2011/12/05-09/ where the URL can be iterated through each week of each year.

As far as downloading the table data into csv format, is there a better option than iMacros for Firefox?

I'm guessing you have to be logged in to see the CSV download options?

iMacros looks like it could be easier than scripting HTML scraping in Python, but I'm not sure having never used it and having no idea about your skill level with JavaScript or Python. There's a JavaScript thread if you need help doing advanced stuff with iMacros.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

I'm guessing you have to be logged in to see the CSV download options?

iMacros looks like it could be easier than scripting HTML scraping in Python, but I'm not sure having never used it and having no idea about your skill level with JavaScript or Python. There's a JavaScript thread if you need help doing advanced stuff with iMacros.
I don't have a subscription ergo no easy csv download option, but given the table formatting, I'm assuming I can download in csv. Otherwise, I can download in tabbed format and import into a csv.

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006
I'm lookin' to read the tr0 binary data format generated by hspice into R. Anyone have anything that might point me in the right direction? Useful R packages, information on the hspice format's layout, etc?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't have a subscription ergo no easy csv download option, but given the table formatting, I'm assuming I can download in csv. Otherwise, I can download in tabbed format and import into a csv.

Oh, so you want the actual contents of that table, then?

There are some demos here: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/support/#demo that look promising for getting the data out, but it looks like you'll have to write a script to automatically scrape multiple dates and all the instructions are Windows only :\

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Oh, so you want the actual contents of that table, then?

There are some demos here: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/support/#demo that look promising for getting the data out, but it looks like you'll have to write a script to automatically scrape multiple dates and all the instructions are Windows only :\

This is the point where I'd just hack together something in Python or Lua (using either an HTML parsing library or some filthy regexes depending on how robust it needs to be) to get it into CSV.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TasteMyHouse posted:

I'm lookin' to read the tr0 binary data format generated by hspice into R. Anyone have anything that might point me in the right direction? Useful R packages, information on the hspice format's layout, etc?

Nothing shows up on Google. You should see if hspice will allow you to export data into a more standard format.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ToxicFrog posted:

This is the point where I'd just hack together something in Python or Lua (using either an HTML parsing library or some filthy regexes depending on how robust it needs to be) to get it into CSV.

Yeah me too, but if he's got no programming experience, copying and pasting a VB script to use a macro that he can build with a semi-friendly GUI is probably the easiest way for him. I should say that I just assume he's a novice because I never see him posting in the Python, JS, etc threads, but I have been busy and doing a bad job keeping up with them, so maybe I'm off base.

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Nothing shows up on Google. You should see if hspice will allow you to export data into a more standard format.

It can output ASCII but I was specifically tasked with figuring out how to read the binary format. Right now I'm working on reverse engineering it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TasteMyHouse posted:

It can output ASCII but I was specifically tasked with figuring out how to read the binary format. Right now I'm working on reverse engineering it.

Can it output Matlab format? There is an R package (matlab, appropriately enough) that can read those files.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ZeeBoi posted:

It's so that people visiting the page from within the place I work at see a different version of the page without facebook and twitter widgets, since both those sites are blocked by the firewall and their browsers keep throwing up content filter warnings which we'd like to just avoid.

I've got no idea on the Apache/.htaccess perspective (mostly .net based) but when I had to do the same thing I would check the IP on session start, see if it matched our static IPs, set a boolean (e.g. IsReservedIP) and then have content display on the page based on that. So if IsReservedIP = True then don't render facebook like, etc.

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Can it output Matlab format? There is an R package (matlab, appropriately enough) that can read those files.

nah :/ looks like it can output Ascii and one of two proprietary binary formats. somewhat lost as to how to "crack" a binary format like this. guess I'll keep pluggin '.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TasteMyHouse posted:

nah :/ looks like it can output Ascii and one of two proprietary binary formats. somewhat lost as to how to "crack" a binary format like this. guess I'll keep pluggin '.

Is the ASCII in a standard format, like comma-separated values or fixed width formats?

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Is the ASCII in a standard format, like comma-separated values or fixed width formats?

It's string representation of floating point values with no delimiters, frustrating to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's still probably a lot simpler to parse that than to crack the binaries. If you want, you can send me a small sample of the ASCII output at the address in my profile and I'll take a look at it.

Edit: I did a quick Google search for some sample output, and this looks like it'd be pretty easy to parse out with some basic regular expressions. That's going to be a much more pleasant approach than messing around with binaries.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 30, 2011