Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BonzoESC posted:

E-170/175/190/195 is one of my favorite narrowbodies; I can stand up straight unlike on the CRJs, and the windows are high enough to look out of. Delta's have a (usually empty and therefore easy to upgrade to) first class section, and they're putting wifi in them too.

(Your image looks right on Chrome on Lion.)
I remember all the CRJ complaints in here. I found a good explanation of why they suck so bad.

They have no leading edge lift generation devices. At landing speed, they would descend level at a 7 deg angle. ...... Commercial landing paths are 10 deg. So they're flying INTO the runway. The proper landing procedure has them pulling up hard at 50' AGL into a 6deg up angle before touchdown.

This just sounds like crashing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

I remember all the CRJ complaints in here. I found a good explanation of why they suck so bad.

They have no leading edge lift generation devices. At landing speed, they would descend level at a 7 deg angle. ...... Commercial landing paths are 10 deg. So they're flying INTO the runway. The proper landing procedure has them pulling up hard at 50' AGL into a 6deg up angle before touchdown.

And when you sit in the jumpseat it really does look like you're going to crash.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro posted:

That sounds like codswallop to me. An ILS glideslope is 3 degrees.

CRJ200 landing looks like any other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmsN1a-QZg

Loads of commercial aircraft have no leading edge lift devices, doesn't mean they're monstrosities of nature.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like CRJs cause they make all those assholes with huge carry-ons gate check their bags, and there's nobody trapped in the middle seat... because there isn't one. Flying CRJs seriously feels like luxury to 5'10 me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

the business class Contour seats on Air Canada all have them. They're herringbone oriented pods with hard things like monitors to smack your head on in the event of a dodgy landing. I'm guessing for someone figured the same thing for the bulkhead seats on the plane you were on.

The new Ford Explorers have them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/print.main?id=2002390

http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/very-light-jets

Philip Greenspun posted:

The Canadair Regional Jet is considered one of the hardest airliners to fly. There are no leading-edge devices, which means that Vref on approach (speed just before arriving at the runway threshold) is 145 knots, about 20 knots faster than a Boeing 737. The high speed comes with a nose-down attitude of about -3 degrees, which must be adjusted to a flare of about +9 degrees during the last 50'. This lead one FlightSafety instructor to refer to every landing in a CRJ as a "controlled crash".

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
I will take a JungleBus any day over a CRJ, mostly because i'm 6'3".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vref in a 737 is not 125 knots, or at least not in one that isn't empty. It's more likely to be 145, same as the CRJ (which also has a lower Vref if empty). And read the pilot's descriptions in your own link, they say it's different but not any more of a "controlled crash" than any other aircraft. The 737 might be a better overall aircraft, but there's criticism and there's plain hyperbole.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

and they also crash in front of cameras a fair bit.

:lol:

Nice pictures too.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I will take a JungleBus any day over a CRJ, mostly because i'm 6'3".

Bingo. 6'2'' and I just about cracked my head on poo poo more times than I could count when I was flying in a CRJ today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

D C posted:

I've heard that there's an actual airframe hiding somewhere that wasn't destroyed, you would think by now that coming forward with it would be okay, I dont see how the government would have issue with it, I'm sure most of the people involved with the decision to cancel it would be dead by now.

No way an airframe survived the torches. Nothing more than wishful thinking and dreams.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

slidebite posted:

No way an airframe survived the torches. Nothing more than wishful thinking and dreams.

Every single one was cut up. This is why it's such a sad story, and why Canadians can still be bothered by it all these years later. There was a dramatized CBC mini series with Dan Aykroyd, 'The Arrow', and it has a scene where a pilot absconds with an Arrow to a secret location - pure romantic fiction.

A 1970's documentary, 'There Never Was An Arrow' is on Youtube, and is well made. There are interviews with Avro execs, probably as much flight footage as exists, and an appearance by some young punk named Morley Safer. The hopping mad laid-off Avro workers are so polite. :v:

Just finding that one engine is a miracle, even if it never runs. Now if someone would just scan and post those tech manuals...:gizz:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schindler's Fist posted:

Every single one was cut up. This is why it's such a sad story, and why Canadians can still be bothered by it all these years later. There was a dramatized CBC mini series with Dan Aykroyd, 'The Arrow', and it has a scene where a pilot absconds with an Arrow to a secret location - pure romantic fiction.

The CRJ is proof that Canadians shouldn't be allowed to make airplanes, sorry.
- a canadian

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

BonzoESC posted:

The CRJ is proof that Canadians shouldn't be allowed to make airplanes, sorry.
- a canadian

Don't you dare blaspheme your DHC-2/3 heritage

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
The pic of the P51 graveyard got me searching. Found this...a scene from The Best Years of Our Lives from 1946. I watched it with no sound in a Starbucks, and, well, gently caress. I now have a new(old) movie on my list to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY (start at 1:50)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SyHopeful posted:

The Dash 8 is a humble and brilliant airplane

One thing you can say about Canada: we knew how to paint 'em:

OK this one didn't happen:

I have no idea:

Also, it's time for another tale of "Canadian military procurement fuckups." Starring the EH-101:

Called the AgustaWestland CH-149 Cormorant in Canada, the CH-149 is the replacement for the Labrador search and rescue helicopters. Despite the fact they are brand new, they are considerably worse then the helicopters they replaced. Well, when in the air they are better, but the amount of maintenance hours it takes to get them in the air is considerably worse then, say, those ancient Sea Kings the navy was flying well into the 21st century.

I have no idea how well the EH-101 works elsewhere; I know it's used in a number of navies around the world. I suspect the problems started with the helicopter being made out of composite materials. It's possible all EH-101s have problems with stress cracks, but I think the Cormorant's problems with composite materials were caused by Canada's decision to make most of the components in Canada. This of course meant investment and jobs, but also meant that the already tricky job of aircraft composites was more likely to go wrong. ALso, since it's a hell of a lot more expensive duplicating facilities in Canada that already exist elsewhere, it meant that money earmarked for SAR helicopters was being spent on factories instead.

So the government bought 14 helicopters instead of 25, the number necessary to keep the appropriate readiness rates assuming normal maintenance. Since maintenance was heavier then expected, the amount of hours needed for every flight is huge. And for every helicopter in use, two need to be parked so they could be parts donors.

I'm not sure who's to blame here, but god damnit.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SyHopeful posted:

There's also the freshly-reintroduced DHC-6.

It's only a matter of time until Viking starts churning out Beavers and Otters again (my money's on the Otter first).

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
What sort of kite is this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Epic Fail Guy posted:

What sort of kite is this?

Silence Twister. Awesome ultralight.

That specific one is part of a UK acro team. http://www.swipteam.com/Pages/default.aspx

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An awesome weight and balance device:

I'd hate to see the mess inside when it goes *sproing*

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Meydey posted:

The pic of the P51 graveyard got me searching. Found this...a scene from The Best Years of Our Lives from 1946. I watched it with no sound in a Starbucks, and, well, gently caress. I now have a new(old) movie on my list to watch.

Best Years of Our Lives is a great movie, and is arguably the best movie ever made about veterans. There's a reason it won 7 Academy Awards.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Meydey posted:

Heart wrenching. B-17s, P-51s and what looked like P-39 Airacobras.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Space Gopher posted:

Good to know that objective source LockheedMartinVideos says that there are no problems!

Back in the real world, those tests had a few problems. Nothing serious, though - just enough cracking to stop all VTOL testing on three of five airframes. I'm sure that Lockheed can fix the problem on a shoestring. Probably not more than a few hundred mil, and what's that, really?
Yes, nothing serious. Hairline cracks in a liftfan actuator bracket discovered after nearly a month of sea trials will temporarily ground those aircraft, but it's hardly going to derail the program, and the other F-35Bs that don't have cracks in their liftfan brackets are still flying; they'll redesign the bracket and address everything else learned/found during the flight tests, and move on with the next round of tests. Par for the course for flight tests.

Speaking of test flights, enjoy this account of the F-14 Tomcat's first "real" test flight:

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/tomcat-tales.html

Bill Smith posted:

“After Grumman’s Chief Test Pilot was killed in an F-111B takeoff accident in the spring of 1967, I was named the new chief test pilot.

The F-14 program promised to produce an airplane ready for first flight 17 months after contract go-ahead, which would be January 1971. As chief test pilot, I would make the first flight, and Bill Miller, our project pilot, would occupy the rear seat.

The F-14 program was led by a vice president who had previously spent years heading up the Preliminary Design Department. He was a very aggressive leader with a short attention span. It was his goal to fly a month earlier than the optimistic schedule had promised.

By December 30th, everyone was back (from a Christmas break), bright-eyed, and the weather was bluebird day. We were ready for our “real” First Flight, when we would go to altitude, sweep the wings, push out to Mach 1.2, and generally exercise all systems within the modest flight envelope allowed on First Flight and, of course, take pictures. (The First Flight, taking the Tomcat up and making a few simple turns, was made on December 21.)

By agreement, we would swap seats and Bill would sit up front. The weather was CAVU and cold, with about 20 knots of wind out of the northwest.

After takeoff we climbed to 10,000 feet, lest there be any hydraulic or mechanical mischief in the system. We had rounded Montauk Point and were headed back along Long Island’s south shore when we got to gear retraction entry on the flight card.

Immediately after raising the gear handle, our A-6 chase pilot said we were venting fluid out of the right side of the airplane. At the same instant, the combined hydraulic system gauge went to zero. Twenty-one gallons of hydraulic fluid had just left the airplane.

We started back to home base at 180 knots, our limit airspeed because the flaps were still extended. In about ten minutes, we were lined up with our runway about three miles out when we blew our gear down with the nitrogen bottle, since our flight hydraulic system only powered the flight controls.

At this time, our chase said we were venting more fluid, and our flight hydraulic system gauge went to zero. The airplane then went through about two cycles of gentle but uncontrollable pitching, and then snapped violently nose down.

At this point we were about a half-mile short of the runway, about 25 feet above the trees. Bill quickly initiated the ejection sequence using his face curtain. A sensitive accelerometer on the nose strut recorded and telemetered back to the ground the little blips showing the firing of the canopy and then the ejection guns on the two seats in turn. That all took 0.9 seconds as advertised; 0.4 seconds later the nosewheel hit a tree!
My Martin-Baker seat sent me staight up about 150 feet, but when Bill’s fired a split second later, it sent him forward, only gaining about 10 feet vertically. Both chutes deployed nicely, and neither of us was injured. Thirty minutes later, when the fire caused by 10,000 pounds of fuel was put out, the ground crew found two fractured 5/16th-inch-inner-diameter titanium hydraulic lines, one in each wheel well.

The F-14 had an all-titanium hydraulic system with an 84-gallon-per-minute pump on each engine with no accumulators, all in the interest of saving weight. Each pump had nine pistons, which were varied in output by a swash plate. As it turned out, each time one of the nine pistons did its thing, it sent a 200-300-pounds-per-square-inch pulse down the basic 3,000-psi system. Apparently, without accumulators to dampen the pulses, a resonance occurred which fatigued the lines. Engineering duplicated the failure on a full-scale mockup of the system in 1.2 minutes at just the right pump RPM. When the line was changed to stainless steel, the line failed in 23 minutes. The answer was not material, but proper forming and clamping of the line to prevent resonance. The second F-14 did not make its first flight until May 24, 1971. There were no hydraulic problems again on the F-14 program.

As an embarrassing postscript, this whole episode could have been avoided if we had not been in such a bloody hurry. During one of the all-night engine runs a few days before First Flight, I was running the engines under the lights during systems check at 2-3 a.m. when the plane captain started waving his arms to shut down the engines. I looked over the side and saw a large puddle of hydraulic fluid.

I asked what happened, and he said it must have been a loose B nut. Well, there was only a handful of B nuts on the airplane, since most of the hydraulic connectors were the super-dry Cryofit connectors. We were all sleepy, so we went home and thought no more about it.

We later found out that a report from the Engineering Lab was working its way through the system over Christmas, telling us that the engine run failure was a fatigue fracture of the 5/16th-inch titanium line.”
This was but the first of five F-14s that crashed during testing. 37 more were lost over the next 5 years. The cold war was a real bitch for forcing aircraft into service quickly, risks be damned.

grover fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 24, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

grover posted:

This was but the first of five F-14s that crashed during testing. 37 more were lost over the next 5 years. The cold war was a real bitch for forcing aircraft into service quickly, risks be damned.

It's been posted before, but the last Fighter Fling video has a pretty funny take on that at the beginning of the video.

FIRST TOMCAT FLIGHT - December 21, 1970

FIRST HYDRAULIC FAILURE - December 30, 1970

FIRST EJECTION - December 30, 1970

Speaking of historic Tomcats, here's a crosspost from TFR's Airpower thread:

quote:

I spent the past week down in Florida visiting a friend...I had some spare time, so I spent a day at the AF Armament Museum outside Eglin and another at the Museum of Naval Aviation on Pensacola NAS. No pictures because I didn't have my camera with me, but I just wanted to point out the historical poo poo at these two museums...both museums were well done and had the standard complement of aircraft you would expect at each museum (the Naval Aviation Museum was packed chock full of aircraft...I was there for 3 hours and probably only saw 2/3rds of their collection). What I really wanted to point out is the history behind the actual airframes that are at each museum...the museum at Eglin has the very first C-130 to roll off the production line that was subsequently converted into the first AC-130 and was in active service from the late '60s until the late '90s, as well as the only "Big Tail" SR-71, a BUFF that flew combat missions during Desert Storm, and a MiG-21 that just showed up at the museum overnight; the curator was told not to ask any questions (it was a "YF-110" that came from the Constant Peg program.

However, the Museum of Naval Aviation kicks this up a notch...in that one museum they have the first airframe to fly across the Atlantic (it only took them 19 days), the only F3F in existence, the only SB2U in existence, the Viking that delivered Dubya aboard the Abraham Lincoln, an almost all original N1K2 "George" that still retains field expedient repairs and battle damage, the Coronado that served as a high level transport during WWII, regularly transporting among others Chester Nimitz, the Truculent Turtle, a F11F that flew with the Blue Angels, an OV-10 that saw service in Vietnam, during which time one of its pilots was killed in action; the pilot's brother discovered the airframe in a scrapyard 20 years after the fact with his brother's name still stenciled on the fuselage and undertook an effort to get it restored and into the museum, this guy's Bird Dog, the Tomcat with the last combat trap, and perhaps most incredibly, a SBD Dauntless airframe that was on Ford Island during the attack on Pearl Harbor, took part in a raid on New Guinea for which its pilot was awarded the Navy Cross, and then took part in the Battle of Midway.

Yeah. Basically if these aircraft could talk I would spend a solid week doing nothing but listening to them, so all of you should go visit these museums if you ever are remotely in the area.

quote:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the whole Cubi Point thing, which is awesome. The Navy generally has their poo poo together when it comes to preserving heritage and the like...light years ahead of the Air Force, anyway, although that isn't saying much.

I also forgot to mention that they have a R4D (C-47) there named Que Sera Sera that just happens to be the airframe that was the first aircraft to land at the South Pole...the reason I was reminded of it is apparently the dude that was flying it on the famous mission lives in the Pensacola area and is one of those volunteer geezers who occasionally comes in to help clean up and tell stories.

Oh, and that Mauler? Yeah, the airframe they have is the airframe that was used to set the single piston engine payload record.

Actually, going back and looking through their collection, I'd say that there are at least 7 or 8 aircraft that are one offs which are literally the only one of their type left in existence, along with several more that are in single digits left. And their most boring airframes are pretty much the ones that "just" flew some combat missions or crashed in the ocean 70 years ago and were fished out and restored...I can probably count on one hand the number of aircraft in their collection that did the usual museum thing of "flew a few years stateside, sat in the boneyard for a while, then went to the museum." In short the museum owns.

Yeah, the museum loving owns.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This Lancaster still exists (FM104), it spent 35 years on a plinth in Toronto and is now being restored for static display. Unfortunately the space they're using is at the Canadian Air & Space Museum which is being evicted by its landlord.

http://avrolancasterfm104.com/

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Museum of Naval Aviation is amazing. I haven't been since I was probably 10 but my mind was blown. I'd love to go back and just spend a day being able to really take everything in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A twin engine Rockwell AC69 crashed east of Phoenix tonight after taking off from Falcon field in Mesa. The crash was caught on tape by what appears to be a home security camera. The plane appears to just fly straight and level into the Superstition mountains.

Video is from long distance, no gore or anything.

http://ktar.com/?sid=1472963&nid=825

For those not from the area, the mountain(s) in question are pretty much vertical:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow. Impressive fireball.

quote:

"From what we know, still everything isn't confirmed, there was a plane likely from Safford, Arizona that went to Falcon Field in Mesa to pick up three children to bring them back for Thanksgiving," Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu told 92.3 KTAR late Wednesday night. "It's likely three adults and three children were on that aircraft."

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Much better video of that Auckland helicopter crash..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

What the hell was that dude on the ground thinking when he jumped up and grabbed the cable pulling it straight into the rotor blades?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Locator posted:

What the hell was that dude on the ground thinking when he jumped up and grabbed the cable pulling it straight into the rotor blades?

No kidding...I suspect he's no longer doing that job.

Is there no concern over static buildup on these cables, too?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

No kidding...I suspect he's no longer doing that job.

Is there no concern over static buildup on these cables, too?

If the helicopter is already attached to it though, I'd presume it isn't an issue?

Also :stare: at the guy who moved that cable. What was he trying to do?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

If the helicopter is already attached to it though, I'd presume it isn't an issue?

Also :stare: at the guy who moved that cable. What was he trying to do?

I'm guessing the helicopter was about to release the cable and he wanted to prevent it flailing around after release. I don't know anything about lifting operations, but I'll send the link to a friend who works with it and ask him his opinion on how this is normally done.

In summary: loving hell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

The static buildup is from the rotors, but I guess in this case the cable's already grounded to the tower?

Edit: Yeah, I'm a little slow today. :downs:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 26, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

The static buildup is from the rotors, but I guess in this case the cable's already grounded to the tower?

Yeah, that's my point. I know the rotors generate the static, but since it is already connected to the cable from the get go, it shouldn't be an issue between the two.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

I'll send the link to a friend who works with it and ask him his opinion on how this is normally done.

Update, he said it was incredibly unnecessary and it seemed like an unusual way of doing things. Couldn't understand why the cable wasn't released before going so low or what he was doing so low there, as the cable could well have gone in the disk without the guy pulling on it. It's normal to catch a longline before landing, but this seemed very unprofessional.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

That sounds like codswallop to me. An ILS glideslope is 3 degrees.

CRJ200 landing looks like any other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmsN1a-QZg

Loads of commercial aircraft have no leading edge lift devices, doesn't mean they're monstrosities of nature.

that camera angle doesn't show it, but they really do come down like lawn darts. And that one had functioning flaps. Until AC Engineering worked out a permanent fix with Bombardier for them, the first few years of RJ operation saw a lot of flapless landings (especially in winter). You see a few of those come in, it really does look like they're going to crash.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's my point. I know the rotors generate the static, but since it is already connected to the cable from the get go, it shouldn't be an issue between the two.

Reminds me of when I used to hot-fuel Astars :downs:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

SyHopeful posted:

Reminds me of when I used to hot-fuel Astars :downs:

We hot fuel all the time, hell, we do everything hot.

It's going to take more then a static shock to ignite Jet-A

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

barely being able to see the cable makes it look like the guy grabbed something hanging from the helicopter and pulled the copter to the ground :v:

edit: taking a look at the zoomed in bit, it looks like mr. grabby dives inches under the tail as the thing falls to the ground, then gets up, climbs up on the far side of the copter, and helps the pilot out

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

D C posted:

We hot fuel all the time, hell, we do everything hot.

It's going to take more then a static shock to ignite Jet-A

Absolutely, and I was never worried about anything other than fueling quickly. Had a good routine down.

I also hot fueled a DHC-2 Beaver while it was lightly rolling on a float pond. Anybody that's fueled a Beaver knows how much of a pain in the rear end they are.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2011