Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think what Fagtastic was trying to say is that grist, boondollars, and the various gaming abstractions were meant to set the scene at an earlier part of the story. The story was still gaining momentum and we were still being introduced to the actual plot, so these jokes and gaming stuff gave us something to focus on for a while. As the plot becomes more important they recede into the background - they're still 'important' in the sense that the players are using them, but they're not 'important' in the sense that they're a limiter on the plot or the characters.

They made all the grist and boondollars they'd ever need, in part just so that those elements could be quasi-written out. They were really only played straight with John, anyway, who's on the typical hero's journey by the rules as it is. When we followed the trolls we hardly even touched on the basic game mechanics, except to add flavour and background to scenes. At this late stage in the story it's a background detail that's assumed that they'll have whatever game-mechanic resources they need for a game purpose on hand, unless the plot says otherwise.

We'll probably see elements of these things return with the reset kid guardians, but I wouldn't expect them to be nearly as important, closely tracked, or focused on as when John first encountered them. We'll probably skip over their futzing about with game stuff material quite a lot, or they'll find some shortcut through it all early on.

The one game element that seems particularly important (which seemed like a background detail when they were first introduced) are the titles, since they seem to grant special powers and hold some secret meaning about the characters' development and plot purpose. God-tiers, too, since they're portrayed as the end point of the great arcing journey of the games' players and as such have a certain story weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

President Ark posted:

Everything in Homestuck is irrelevant until, suddenly and without warning, it isn't.

This ought to be the thread title.

In any case, the supposed God-Tier levels are not something to get worked up over, since if they get mentioned later then we'll know they do exist, and if they don't then they're not important. And if they do get mentioned they'll probably be just a plot-irrelevant joke until the time they suddenly aren't. Same with Boondollars, fraymotifs, and grist (if grist hasn't already).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The thing I'm wondering about is not god tier levels but angels. The same angels that gave Eridan his powers, and which "paradox space uses to usher in the end". It feels like the post-scratch session would be a sensible point to elaborate on them, especially since Jake's domain is the same as Eridan's.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

pumpinglemma posted:

The thing I'm wondering about is not god tier levels but angels. The same angels that gave Eridan his powers, and which "paradox space uses to usher in the end". It feels like the post-scratch session would be a sensible point to elaborate on them, especially since Jake's domain is the same as Eridan's.

GT: Well uh...
GT: There are just so drat many of them janey and theyre not getting any less bloody pissed is the thing!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pumpinglemma posted:

There are some vague implications but don't you think we're jumping the gun a little here?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

There are some vague implications but don't you think we're jumping the gun a little here?

Eridan was the Prince of Hope, Jake is strongly implied to be the Page of Hope. Certainly more than "vague implications".

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Eridan was the Prince of Hope, Jake is strongly implied to be the Page of Hope. Certainly more than "vague implications".
My reading comprehension's clearly not the best, but I missed where his domain is Hope. I got Page, but I missed Hope.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Plom Bar posted:

My reading comprehension's clearly not the best, but I missed where his domain is Hope. I got Page, but I missed Hope.

There is a good SKULL at the heart of any mystery, haunting its EVERY PAGE. That is what you always say. Or at least, it is what you always HOPE.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

GG: "The Page is dead."
GG: "Our hope is lost."

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

There is a good SKULL at the heart of any mystery, haunting its EVERY PAGE. That is what you always say. Or at least, it is what you always HOPE.

Also:
GG: "The Page is dead."
GG: "Our hope is lost."

e: god damnit

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Similarly, it's a safe bet that Jane will be the maid of life:

quote:

When it does, you will waste no time in embarking on the game's MAIDEN VOYAGE, and if even a fraction of what you've heard turns out to be true, you are prepared to have the time of your LIFE!!!
We'll probably be able to figure out Lalonde's and Strider's roles from their intro pages this same way.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Oh hey Jake lives in a pumpkin patch.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Hamlet posted:

Similarly, it's a safe bet that Jane will be the maid of life:

We'll probably be able to figure out Lalonde's and Strider's roles from their intro pages this same way.
Wasn't the popular theory not too long ago that the new titles would fill in the gaps left by the dead trolls? (Thief, Rogue, Page and Prince of Heart, Hope, Life and Void)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

QueerPope posted:

Oh hey Jake lives in a pumpkin patch.

A what patch?

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who accompanied this with the 2001 theme.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Plom Bar posted:

Wasn't the popular theory not too long ago that the new titles would fill in the gaps left by the dead trolls? (Thief, Rogue, Page and Prince of Heart, Hope, Life and Void)

I hope Bro's Shades become a player too, so we can have Doom.

Everybody forgets Sollux!

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Plom Bar posted:

I'm banking on Lalonde and Strider being heart and void, yea, but I dunno about the thief, rogue, page and prince. If you ask me it's blatant at this point that Jane will be a maid, given the pattern confirmed by Jake's intro

edit: I forsee UU as a doom player also, my guess is that the remaining trolls will be her co-players. It fits nicely given that the only roles with living reduncancies (if Sollux dies) will be Time and Space

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

YggiDee posted:

That's because some of us are in denial about him being dead!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Sollux' status is as yet unknown. Yes, he started bleeding out when he piloted the meteor from the veil to the Green Sun, and Aradia did say that it was his body they'd be bringing with them, but we don't know how much of that came to pass OR what role the version of him that's chilling out with Aradia is to play.

What I'm saying here is that we don't know for sure that Sollux is dead.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Jake, buy a weedwhacker or something.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I just peeked at the wiki. When did we decide that KidMom was the hero of Void?

This fandom moves too fast for me :psyduck:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Plom Bar posted:

Probably UU mentioning seeing dark spots relating to Mom, similar to Equius.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Sollux is such a weird character. He pretty much sticks to his own set of rules, and will probably he half-alive, half-dead for the rest of the comic. Doom is a weird power to have.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Oh. So that's where all the pumpkins went.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Interesting how his tower room appears to have broken off from the main structure and rooted itself into the ground long ago. Also that is one loving cool place to live, wow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It looks kinda like an upside-down pistol barrel.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Plom Bar posted:

The wiki is basically like one of the threads on the mspa forums, because they love to edit in new information. But because it's a wiki there's not much room for discussion like in the threads, and we get misled all the time, it ends up having a lot of info that's just flat out not true that's left in there for weeks sometimes before someone notices and removes/updates it.

It's fine for all of the in joke stuff like pumpkins or the weapons from Problem Sleuth though, or the article on troll romance. I'm not sure which updates faster with stuff that's just happened, the mspa wiki or tvtropes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh. So that's where all the pumpkins went.

What pumpkins?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So in B1-Jade's adventure, her room blew up when her bot exploded.

In universe B2, did everything but Jake's room blow up when B2-Jade died?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My feeling is that the Harley house is still mostly in place, just completely buried in the mound of vines and such.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Prison Warden posted:

What pumpkins?

Quite possibly every one since Jailbreak.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I wish pumpkins were actually an invasive species. They'd be the most delicious invasion ever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is that a giant Crabdad in the background!?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

oh god jake look behind you

Legislacerator
Dec 26, 2006

1 W1LL H4V3 ORD3R 1N TH1S RUMPUSBLOCK!
Holy poo poo that's loving terrifying.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Prison Warden posted:

What pumpkins?

THESE loving pumpkins!

Bluemidget posted:

oh god jake look behind you

poo poo I didn't see that at first. Crabdad? Crabgrandad?

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 27, 2011

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's just some of the FAUNA. Pay it no mind.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I didn't notice Crabdad in the background before you guys pointed it out. He's gotten... big.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
What the hell are you guys talking about? I can't see anything in the backgrOH DEAR GOD.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Man, if Dave Rose called Jade's version of the place Hellmurder Island, what would she call this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
But Crabdad is a nice guy everybody, everything will be fine.

So was it Jake who was appearifying the pumpkins from Jade's island way back when? I know that WV did too, but it seems like Jake can appearify things from the last 'verse.