Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Gravitom posted:

Tried out the Fuji X10 at B&H today. A few cons I didn't realize.

• You can see the drat lens in the viewfinder at focal lengths under 50mm. It feels like I'm driving a tank.
  • Manual focus uses the rear dial which is weird as hell.
  • The no AF indicator through the viewfinder bothers me more than I thought it would.

That being said I tried out some of the MFT cameras, Nikon J1/V1/P7100 and they weren't nearly as appealing as the X10. I guess I'm just spoiled by DSLRs and have too high expectations.

I imagine you'd get used to the first item.
2nd item, reviews say AF is super fast and accurate, so not sure why you'd use MF (I never do on my X100)
as for the third, what I heard some people doing is leaving the AF confirm beep turned on, but on the lowest volume level, which they report makes it so only you can hear unless it's a library or church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Gravitom posted:

• You can see the drat lens in the viewfinder at focal lengths under 50mm. It feels like I'm driving a tank.
For a true rangefinder experience.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dominoes posted:

S100 isn't out yet AFAIK.

pretty sure it's on sale already, Rukes said he picked one up at Best Buy a few weeks ago.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
So I ended up picking up the SX230HS over the S100... $279 for it vs. $429 for the S100. It's got 14x optical and zoom for video so I think the wife should be pretty stoked! Picked up a 16GB SD card and an extra battery as well. Thanks guys.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

pretty sure it's on sale already, Rukes said he picked one up at Best Buy a few weeks ago.
I'm trying to buy one, but it's out of stock everywhere.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me

Dominoes posted:

I'm trying to buy one, but it's out of stock everywhere.

I've had it pre-ordered since 10/1 on Amazon and I haven't even gotten an e-mail with a shipment date yet :(

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I need some one to slap me across the face.

I'm taking a trip to the Caribbean half way through December for about 3 weeks and need a camera. Only other camera I've ever had is a coolpix 3200 (or something similar in the coolpix line) but I automatically start looking at olympus e-pm1 and other mirror less cameras so I can be a super awesome photographer with a cool thin camera and blow 500$.

So I do research, have a cool off period and decide I should probably just get a p&s for the time being and in a few years upgrade if the need presents itself.

So back to p&s. Taking the s90 recommendation and looking at alternatives, I find that bestbuy canada is selling the Nikon coolpix s9100 for 260$ on sale ending today. I prefer the body of the s9100 compared to the s90 but only because it looks like the nikon has a place to hold it. Should i jump at this price even if the camera may be over kill for my skill/needs.

TL
Previous cameras: low level nikon coolpix
Used for: Travel/party camera
price range: I think there is a saying about a fool and his money

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm taking a trip to the Caribbean half way through December for about 3 weeks and need a camera. Only other camera I've ever had is a coolpix 3200 (or something similar in the coolpix line) but I automatically start looking at olympus e-pm1 and other mirror less cameras so I can be a super awesome photographer with a cool thin camera and blow 500$.

So I do research, have a cool off period and decide I should probably just get a p&s for the time being and in a few years upgrade if the need presents itself.

So back to p&s. Taking the s90 recommendation and looking at alternatives, I find that bestbuy canada is selling the Nikon coolpix s9100 for 260$ on sale ending today. I prefer the body of the s9100 compared to the s90 but only because it looks like the nikon has a place to hold it. Should i jump at this price even if the camera may be over kill for my skill/needs.

TL

The Nikon S9100 has a much longer zoom, and it looks like built-in GPS.

The Canon s90 has a much faster lens when shooting wide angle (better for low light), and also shoots RAW format if that is important to you. The lens doesn't have much reach if you want to shoot things far away.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The Nikon S9100 has a much longer zoom, and it looks like built-in GPS.

The Canon s90 has a much faster lens when shooting wide angle (better for low light), and also shoots RAW format if that is important to you. The lens doesn't have much reach if you want to shoot things far away.

I am unable to find an s90 in Toronto, everyone has the s95 which is about 150$ more expensive. I would like to play with it a bit before I pay 400$ or I would buy one online.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

MasterBuilder posted:

TL

The Nikon has no PASM mode - no manual controls at all, really. It's not a bad camera but you'll have very little say about what comes out. Maybe you don't care, but if you're at all serious about photography, you might get frustrated with this camera. That said, the Nikon's not bad, and has awesome zoom range versatility.

For a trip to the Caribbean, one of the main advantages of an S90 - a bright f2 lens, might be less important because you'll be taking many shots in bright sunlight. While S90/95/100 are excellent cameras, maybe the trade off to no RAW/ slower, longer lens might be worth it.

Also look at Canon SX230 and Sony HX9V. The former has full manual controls, the latter has excellent video and a lot of clever batch processing modes.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed Amazon has the S95 for $290- that seems like a much better deal than I've seen before.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so redirect me if there is a better recommendation thread.

My wife and I mostly shoot candids and we want a camera that catches moving objects (cats are fast). From what I've read this requires faster shutter speed. Are there any point and shoots that have good shutter speed or do I need to start looking into DSLRs? Our current camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W90 it is UNACCEPTABLE and will not shoot our... sports (cats).

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Shawn posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so redirect me if there is a better recommendation thread.

My wife and I mostly shoot candids and we want a camera that catches moving objects (cats are fast). From what I've read this requires faster shutter speed. Are there any point and shoots that have good shutter speed or do I need to start looking into DSLRs? Our current camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W90 it is UNACCEPTABLE and will not shoot our... sports (cats).

Shutter speed isn't the problem with most point and shoots- most will do 1/2000 second exposures which is plenty fast for shooting animals.

What you need to look for is a camera with minimal shutter lag (mirrorless interchangeable or DSLR) and fast autofocus (really only DSLR's at this point).

So you probably should take a look at Canon and Nikon's entry level DSLR offerings.

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf
I need a camera for somewhat special circumstances.

My girlfriend is sight-impaired. She enjoys taking photos though, but can't handle usual camera interfaces at all.

Which camera would you recommend assuming it will only ever be used in Automatic Mode, or maybe - MAYBE - switched between Auto / Portrait / Landscape / Night, but I wouldn't even assume that.
For reference: I had her try out my NEX and even though its already quite streamlined in terms of UI, it was way too fiddly for her.

Basically she'd need an iPhone camera without the iPhone attached, but I want to gift her a compact camera that will make the nicest pictures under these circumstances. I can spend about 400€. Is the S95 still the best choice under these circumstances?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Looking for a p&s that'll be easy to find on Friday, so places like Best Buy, Macy's, etc. Going to be used by a tech-savvy 50-something nun. So on the one hand, tech savvy...on the other, 50-something nun. Any recommendations? Anything to stay way away from?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

DancingKittycat posted:

I need a camera for somewhat special circumstances.

My girlfriend is sight-impaired. She enjoys taking photos though, but can't handle usual camera interfaces at all.

Which camera would you recommend assuming it will only ever be used in Automatic Mode, or maybe - MAYBE - switched between Auto / Portrait / Landscape / Night, but I wouldn't even assume that.
For reference: I had her try out my NEX and even though its already quite streamlined in terms of UI, it was way too fiddly for her.

Basically she'd need an iPhone camera without the iPhone attached, but I want to gift her a compact camera that will make the nicest pictures under these circumstances. I can spend about 400€. Is the S95 still the best choice under these circumstances?

In terms of picture potential the S95 is your camera, but in terms of user friendliness - which sounds like it's more important here - get a nice ELPH instead. It's meant to be on Auto, and you can get a nice bright lens and scene modes should you want them.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

jackpot posted:

Looking for a p&s that'll be easy to find on Friday, so places like Best Buy, Macy's, etc. Going to be used by a tech-savvy 50-something nun. So on the one hand, tech savvy...on the other, 50-something nun. Any recommendations? Anything to stay way away from?

Is the nun in question tech savvy in general, or does she know her cameras? The latter matters hugely if you want to get something with manual controls.

Amazon is selling SX230 for $199 now, which is a hell of a deal. Otherwise, the usual S95 recommendation is solid. Both those cameras have manual options but very functional auto modes.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
MY GIRLFRIEND is currently looking for a P&S to replace her old canon she had from a long time ago.. She really likes the Powershot sx130IS but I see people recommending the s95, is there really a big difference for a hundred bucks? Also I see the sx230HS is on sale right now for 200 would that be a better camera than the 130IS by alot?

She wants to get back into photography as a small hobby but she doesnt want to spend to much and doesnt want a dslr. Thanks!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_s95&products=canon_sx130is&products=canon_sx230hs

The SX130 is comparatively bulky (I'd say no longer pocketable) and has an awful screen even before you get into picture quality.

I'd rule it out and make the choice between the SX230 and the S95, with the 230 you get way more zoom but the lens is slower, you miss out on the more convenient manual controls and don't get the option of shooting RAW

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

dissss posted:

Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_s95&products=canon_sx130is&products=canon_sx230hs

The SX130 is comparatively bulky (I'd say no longer pocketable) and has an awful screen even before you get into picture quality.

I'd rule it out and make the choice between the SX230 and the S95, with the 230 you get way more zoom but the lens is slower, you miss out on the more convenient manual controls and don't get the option of shooting RAW

Just pulled the trigger on the s95, thnx

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up a used S90 off of the Amazon marketplace. I don't know what exactly causes it, but a red dot appears on the screen when I'm taking photos. It's not a dead pixel, it appears to be something on the sensor but now that I've taken about 15 pictures just to see what the deal was, the dot stopped showing up in the photos (but is still on-screen when I'm aiming & such). Is this something I should make a big deal/worry about?

Edit: upon further inspection, the dot doesn't fully 'go away' in the later pictures, it's just really REALLY small, too small to be noticed on the LCD.
Edit2: not that I'd be using it at all, but it makes video mode completely unusable.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 26, 2011

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Shutter speed isn't the problem with most point and shoots- most will do 1/2000 second exposures which is plenty fast for shooting animals.

What you need to look for is a camera with minimal shutter lag (mirrorless interchangeable or DSLR) and fast autofocus (really only DSLR's at this point).

So you probably should take a look at Canon and Nikon's entry level DSLR offerings.

Thanks for this. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Rebel T2i.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Do any of you know if there will be a good deal on a s95 on cyber Monday anywhere? Thats the most recommended entry level cannon for P&S right? It's sad when OPs get abandoned, need to get a decent camera as a gift and I want to get the best one I can afford, thanks guys!

Umph fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 27, 2011

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just picked up a used S90 off of the Amazon marketplace. I don't know what exactly causes it, but a red dot appears on the screen when I'm taking photos. It's not a dead pixel, it appears to be something on the sensor but now that I've taken about 15 pictures just to see what the deal was, the dot stopped showing up in the photos (but is still on-screen when I'm aiming & such). Is this something I should make a big deal/worry about?

Edit: upon further inspection, the dot doesn't fully 'go away' in the later pictures, it's just really REALLY small, too small to be noticed on the LCD.
Edit2: not that I'd be using it at all, but it makes video mode completely unusable.

might be a temperature-sensitive pixel. Try taking a really fast (IE 15 seconds) shutter speed, low ISO exposure of the inside of your lens cap, then do the same, but with long exposure(IE 1/2000 seconds), low ISO. For kicks, try long exposure + high ISO. If it only comes up on long exposure, you've got yourself a hot pixel. At least it should be in exactly the same place and color every time!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Umph posted:

Do any of you know if there will be a good deal on a s95 on cyber Monday anywhere? Thats the most recommended entry level cannon for P&S right? It's sad when OPs get abandoned, need to get a decent camera as a gift and I want to get the best one I can afford, thanks guys!
It's unlikely there will be any deals on an s95/s100. Typically the high end electronics, especially photography gear, don't enjoy the special discounts the lower end stuff gets.

MarsellusWallace posted:

might be a temperature-sensitive pixel. Try taking a really fast (IE 15 seconds) shutter speed, low ISO exposure of the inside of your lens cap, then do the same, but with long exposure(IE 1/2000 seconds), low ISO. For kicks, try long exposure + high ISO. If it only comes up on long exposure, you've got yourself a hot pixel. At least it should be in exactly the same place and color every time!
Lightroom will automatically remove any hot pixels you have for you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Umph posted:

They are under $300 on Amazon now- how cheap were you expecting?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MarsellusWallace posted:

Looks like a hot pixel. It seems as though the camera knows it's there, though, as the size of the dot that shows up on the pictures has gotten smaller; the 1st 10 or so photos I took it was noticeable without zoom, but now I have to zoom in quite a bit to find it.

As long as I know it's there and Lightroom will take care of it when I start working with the photos, I'm guessing I should just let it be? It's really irritating to me knowing it's there, but I don't think it's something to make a big deal with the seller over. If I really wanted to, is this something I could send in to get cleaned or something? But for what I paid for it, I'm guessing that any replacement/cleaning would be too expensive to be worth it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What did you pay for it?

If you got an amazing deal, I'd just PS/LR it out of the pictures and not worry about it. If it wasn't amazing, though, I'd send it back and look for another.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I am thinking about picking up a Nikon Coolpix S8200, would that be a worthwhile upgrade from my trusty Canon Powershot SX100?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Krakkles posted:

What did you pay for it?

If you got an amazing deal, I'd just PS/LR it out of the pictures and not worry about it. If it wasn't amazing, though, I'd send it back and look for another.

edit: the more I think about it, the more I'd rather just return the thing and keep looking. $200 is $200.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit: the more I think about it, the more I'd rather just return the thing and keep looking. $200 is $200.

To be honest, I would too. It's an easy fix, but it's annoying to have to do it to every picture you take.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are you shooting in RAW? I'm quite sure LR automatically removes hot pixels when it interprets the RAW file.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I really wanted to, is this something I could send in to get cleaned or something?

A hot pixel is generally a defect in the silicon and not something that can be wiped off. Repair would require replacing the sensor, which is pretty much guaranteed to be more expensive than replacing the whole camera.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Dang, can't believe the SX230 dropped $80 in a week :(

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
I have a Canon A720 IS. I need to replace it- the flash is on the fritz and the battery door is broken. I know you can get a new battery door, but I want a new camera anyway.

I mostly take pictures of my kid, and I take a lot of pictures of him every day. The things that annoy me the most about my camera are that it eats through batteries, it takes forever for the flash to reset, and the auto focus stinks. After lots of trial and error, I have found that if I have it in portrait and macro it is more likely to focus on what I want it to focus on instead of the background. It still focuses on the background pretty frequently, especially if we are outside. I hate that I cannot tell if it is in focus if we are outside unless it is a really gloomy day because you can't see the screen. We have a nice video camera but I take most of my video the Canon because I always have it on me.

I was going to get an S95, but I think it would probably be good to have the 1080 p video.

So, we were going to get an S100, but then my husband found this review that complained about the autofocus, and that scares me. The shots with the pigeon especially bother me, as that is an issue I have with my camera and it drives me insane.

I want something with good auto focus, good picture quality, decent quality video (at least 720p so the s95 isn't necessarily out), decent battery life (but I'm okay with getting a spare battery to carry around), and I want something small. We discussed getting a DSLR, but I'm not a photographer. Maybe it would be nice to have a DSLR down the line, but I don't want one as my only camera because I worry that I wouldn't take pictures as frequently since they are bigger and more of a pain to carry around. I know DSLRs have good auto focus but the size is my main concern.

I also like the option of manual mode. I do want to take time to learn more about how to take good pictures eventually and even if it doesn't get used, not having a manual mode seems silly to me. If there is a camera without it that meets all the other stuff that isn't necessarily a deal breaker though.

So, what should I get? Is that review of of the S100 that complains of the auto focus a fluke? Or is that just what you are stuck in regards to auto focus if you get a point and shoot ? Or is there some other camera that would be better?

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 28, 2011

Beaver Fever
Apr 10, 2005

enitsirk posted:

So, what should I get? Is that review of of the S100 that complains of the auto focus a fluke? Or is that just what you are stuck in regards to auto focus if you get a point and shoot ? Or is there some other camera that would be better?

I had similar auto focus issues with my s100. When it focused on the subject I could get a nice shot, but it often wanted to focus on something in the background. I ended up returning it after noticing a faint line/shadow on most of my images that looked like dust or a hair behind the lens. I was on the fence about keeping it before that and now I've decided to get an XZ-1 instead. Based on what I've seen I think I'll like it.
I really did like the size of the s100 though. Fit really easily in my jeans pocket.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

enitsirk posted:

So, we were going to get an S100, but then my husband found this review that complained about the autofocus, and that scares me. The shots with the pigeon especially bother me, as that is an issue I have with my camera and it drives me insane.

Just set it to single point and recompose if necessary.

SLRs don't necessarily do any better job when you leave them on all points mode

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Eyecannon posted:

Dang, can't believe the SX230 dropped $80 in a week :(

me too - I paid $300 for it. (at least I do like it)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
For a family point and shooter should I go with a SX220 or a ELPH 310? There's not much info on the 310 out there so that's making it hard for me to decide but from what I can tell the features, other than the increased zoom of the SX220, are about the same.

The price is about the same as well. Personally, P&S quality, video, and battery life are the three biggest concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Panasonic LX5 is $269 today. Not quite pocketable, but great camera, from what I've heard.

• Locked thread