Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

BattleHamster posted:

What the hell, you can do this?!

Yeah, go into training mode and try it. Set the CPU to All Guard and do dp+H and hold the H down. Voila, unblockable, just as unblockable as fully-charged C. Viper focus attack or a Taskmaster Sword Master follow up.

edit: Also, James Chen was nice enough to put this fact into the SRK Wiki.

Dr Slouch fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of people also apparently don't know that Firebrand can cling to the wall. Tap twice in the direction of the wall when you're close to it in the air. From there you can press L, M, or H to do different kinds of fireballs, or you can press S to dismount. Not sure if it's useful at all yet though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I played my first online game today. I immediately got curbstompped without being able to block or make a hit.

I am not sure if it is due to lag or what but nothing I could do could block.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You can't downback in this game. If you're put into a situation where there's nothing you can do but block, you're eventually going to get hit and start losing characters. Pushblock, super-jump and get the gently caress out of there, create some distance and start your own offense before they can start theirs.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I just picked this up, and after winning a few matches (my win loss record is like 3-9) I want some assistance getting a team.

I really like Zero and Amaterasu, but I need a decent anchor. Oh, I also really enjoy playing Strider, but I know he'd be a pretty crappy anchor (plus, having 3 characters with such little health CANNOT be a good thing.)

Nova seems pretty cool, but if anyone has any better suggestions, for an anchor or if Strider has better Synergy with Ammy or Zero then the two do together.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zero loves drones assist so maybe try Sentinel.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Strider's actually a pretty good anchor because he can chip characters to death with level 3 X-Factor Ourobouros.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

FighterKnuckles posted:

I really like Zero and Amaterasu, but I need a decent anchor. Oh, I also really enjoy playing Strider, but I know he'd be a pretty crappy anchor (plus, having 3 characters with such little health CANNOT be a good thing.)

Strider is one of the best anchors in the game actually because of XF3 Oroborous. I can't say anything about the team synergy of Zero/Dog/Strider though.

EDIT: Is there any possible team synergy between v.Joe/Ammy/Rocket in whatever orders? I want to create a hard to hit team for shits and giggles but it would be cool if it could be even kinda effective.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 27, 2011

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FighterKnuckles posted:

I just picked this up, and after winning a few matches (my win loss record is like 3-9) I want some assistance getting a team.

Nova seems pretty cool, but if anyone has any better suggestions, for an anchor or if Strider has better Synergy with Ammy or Zero then the two do together.

Actually, Strider is a great anchor, simply because of X-factor 3 Ouroboros, but unless you plan on using very little meter with either Zero or Ammy, Strider won't be a good anchor for you. Nova would probably be a good fit for you, so give him a try.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever anyone's looking for a good anchor, I always go to Sentinel, Wesker, Spencer, and Akuma as good choices. They all have good assists, don't need assists to be good, and are great with lv3 x-factor.

E: Don't worry about the overall health of your team. Low-health characters die fast but they make up for it in other ways. I'd much rather have a team of firebrand/strider/akuma than Tron/Thor/Nemesis.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sade posted:

You can't downback in this game. If you're put into a situation where there's nothing you can do but block, you're eventually going to get hit and start losing characters. Pushblock, super-jump and get the gently caress out of there, create some distance and start your own offense before they can start theirs.

I was trying. I just got hosed from the first hit. Something tells me that online fighting in this game is just not for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

E: Don't worry about the overall health of your team. Low-health characters die fast but they make up for it in other ways. I'd much rather have a team of firebrand/strider/akuma than Tron/Thor/Nemesis.

That's true, but as someone who has picked up fighting games very recently (vanilla MvC3 was my first game since playing GGXX super casually on the PS2), the extra health of certain characters is really helpful for padding mistakes. Not to mention that low health characters also tend to require lots of game knowledge comparatively and have higher execution requirements. Taskmaster and Spencer's health helped me a bunch in vanilla, in addition to easy, high-damage BnBs.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

That's true, but as someone who has picked up fighting games very recently (vanilla MvC3 was my first game since playing GGXX super casually on the PS2), the extra health of certain characters is really helpful for padding mistakes. Not to mention that low health characters also tend to require lots of game knowledge comparatively and have higher execution requirements. Taskmaster and Spencer's health helped me a bunch in vanilla, in addition to easy, high-damage BnBs.

The biggest thing is that in MvC3 if the opponent touches you and wants to kill your character, they'll probably be able to do so. They might save a few meters if you're playing Akuma, but the penalties for getting hit are so huge that in my opinion it's more important that you pick a team that allows you to get hits more easily, regardless of their health.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

I was trying. I just got hosed from the first hit. Something tells me that online fighting in this game is just not for me.

It sounds exactly like you got opened up and exposed and it's most likely the fault of your inexperience with the game, not the online. The online is rear end, but this game is fast and blocking is hard and until you really learn how to play then you're gonna get blown up every time by anyone who has even a remote idea of what to do.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Van Ishikawa posted:

Strider is one of the best anchors in the game actually because of XF3 Oroborous. I can't say anything about the team synergy of Zero/Dog/Strider though.

EDIT: Is there any possible team synergy between v.Joe/Ammy/Rocket in whatever orders? I want to create a hard to hit team for shits and giggles but it would be cool if it could be even kinda effective.
Strider's teleport kick assist is pretty good too. If it hits an opponent in the air, it causes either hard knockdown or ground bounce, I forget. Floe uses Nemesis/Wesker/Strider and abuses the hell out of the Strider assist.

As far as Joe/Ammy/Rocket, if you go the DIeminion route with Joe and spam Voomerangs with Joe and occasionaly rushdown with his air movement and overhead I imagine the team will be okay with Ammy Cold Star and whatever assist is good with Rocket.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Djarum posted:

Nobody is going to do well online when just learning this game man. Don't worry about it and just play without freaking out about a few losses.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It sounds exactly like you got opened up and exposed and it's most likely the fault of your inexperience with the game, not the online.

This. And I completely feel your pain because I am going through the exact same thing. I'm starting this game completely clean coming from SF (pretty much entirely SF4). It's really hard for me because I'm defending constantly and just getting opened the gently caress up. I know I'm playing too defensively but I feel like when I do anything else I just start getting bodied.

I was wondering are there any good beginners/basics guides or videos or anything? I have the new testament and I've mostly been using it to research team possibilities and get bnbs. I've got some team ideas and combos down with my chars but when I get into matches I still feel absolutely lost. I know it'll be like this for a while since I'm pretty literally brand new to the game (I played some casuals offline yesterday and online for about 45 minutes today and that's about it) but I'm just wondering if there's some good introductory material. So much of the game just feels foreign for now.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Played a couple of ranked matches, allow me to express my feelings through song

(wrote a really, really bad filk here, long story short I got blown up by Novas)

Probably going to switch out Hawkeye, I love him but he's open to everything from midscreen. Maybe I'll join the trenchcoat brigade and bring in Dante?

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 27, 2011

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

That's the dumbest thing that I've ever read. Congrats

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, you're probably right.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 27, 2011

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Any ideas about who I should round a team with Vergil/???/Doom? I think this order's fair, I'm just not sure who to put in the middle of it all. I like Hawkeye a bunch, but I'm not sure if he fits or not (other than being Team Ego.) I've only been playing a little bit, but I'm loving all the new characters so far.

EDIT: I was using Hidden Missiles primarily while experimenting a bit.

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 27, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Vergil works better with more meter, so personally I'd run Hawk/Doom/Vergil. His Rapid Slash should be good for putting the opponent into blockstun for Hawkeye, as well.

What assist are you using for Doom?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

rivals posted:

This. And I completely feel your pain because I am going through the exact same thing. I'm starting this game completely clean coming from SF (pretty much entirely SF4). It's really hard for me because I'm defending constantly and just getting opened the gently caress up. I know I'm playing too defensively but I feel like when I do anything else I just start getting bodied.

I was about to post more online bellyaching, but rather than pile things on, I'm just going to throw my voice in with the choir here. Suffice to say, I too suffer from "playing a lot online but not getting any better" syndrome. It's so difficult to tell when you've been outplayed, out lagged, or just flat out suck.

Iron Fist. Man.. I love the guy, but I can't get him to work online. Deadpool and Vergil have so many tools to catch people who love to spam, or do nothing but sit and block. But even with those two backing him up, I can't get in on anyone no matter who they are. For the life of me, I can't figure anything out that leads to his big damage - everyone is always floating just a bit off the ground when I finally land a hit, which ruins any of the crumple combos I know. The only trick I've developed with him is how to grab people out of the air.. But of course, he can only take advantage of his OTG if it's a corner throw or very low to the ground.

I don't know how to make him work and neither do I know who to replace him with. I like to think I've got options because he's currently point, where Deadpool and Vergil have such good synergy that I can put them anywhere together. While it's tempting to grab some of the classics like Wesker, Akuma, Sentinel or the like, I feel like I would be missing out on learning someone new. Strider, for instance, I know little about and am curious how he might fit in on the team.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hawkeye works, you might want to consider Nova as well if you're going for team arrogant douchebags.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Why not just pick sentinel as a fallback plan in case your opponent lives in another continent?

I mean, that's one of the many reasons why i keep him in my team. He's already pretty solid, and learning how to defend yourself against basic rushdown and knowing when to take advantage of your super armor for that one dude spamming c.L, and you're already at a good start.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Groghammer posted:

Vergil works better with more meter, so personally I'd run Hawk/Doom/Vergil. His Rapid Slash should be good for putting the opponent into blockstun for Hawkeye, as well.

What assist are you using for Doom?

The only problem here is that both Hakweye and Vergil eat meter. I definitely abuse Gimlet as much as possible, so having him on point...well you're not leaving much for Vergil depending on how good your doom game is. I always end up putting Hawkeye in the middle. If you think Vergil is your best character, Try something like Nova/Vergil/Doom. Use Doom Plasma Beam for assist for teleport crossup opportunity with vergil.

e: Using doom beam assist to cover Nova's centurion assault kick or an air dash overhead works really well, since his air dash has a slight startup.

dat fukkin dog!! fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 27, 2011

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

FighterKnuckles posted:

I'd suggest Doom as an anchor for your team, Zero/Ammy/Doom, with really any of doom's assists would work great for helping Zero and Ammy get in, and also with Doom's new Foot-Foot Dive loop, the King of Latveria makes a strong anchor for any team. My personal preference is Doom with the rocks assist for fun Zero teleport mixups.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Basically doom is one of the best characters in the game.

:worship: Doom :worship:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I've been on the fence with finding a character to squeeze into my Captain America / ? / Dormammu team. Initially I thought that spot may go to Ghost Rider or Nemesis, but I found Ghost Rider rather lacking in options and Nemesis...well, I'm not exactly certain what Nemesis is supposed to be able to do, but that's for another post.

Doom (with Hidden Missiles) seems like he'd be a good fit to not only cover Captain America's offense and mixups with Cartwheel, but to increase his already huge damage potential by enabling him to OTG after a Hyper Charging Star. He would also aid Dormammu's zoning and teleport / mixups.

Downside is that I didn't use Doom in MvC3, so getting used to his dash cancels has been a bit slow-going.

Other potentials were Hawkeye, Dr. Strange, Nova (big maybe) and Spencer (who I used in vanilla).

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

I've been on the fence with finding a character to squeeze into my Captain America / ? / Dormammu team. Initially I thought that spot may go to Ghost Rider or Nemesis, but I found Ghost Rider rather lacking in options and Nemesis...well, I'm not exactly certain what Nemesis is supposed to be able to do, but that's for another post.

Doom (with Hidden Missiles) seems like he'd be a good fit to not only cover Captain America's offense and mixups with Cartwheel, but to increase his already huge damage potential by enabling him to OTG after a Hyper Charging Star. He would also aid Dormammu's zoning and teleport / mixups.

Downside is that I didn't use Doom in MvC3, so getting used to his dash cancels has been a bit slow-going.

Other potentials were Hawkeye, Dr. Strange, Nova (big maybe) and Spencer (who I used in vanilla).

Can't really go wrong with Doom. Hawkeye owns too but he can use a lot of meter, which is something dormammu needs to really shine. Nova's cool. I really only like GR on point. He's great for building meter for the rest of the team+deals out decent damage with his simple bnbs.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Characters Nova's overhead is safe against:
Hulk
Dante
Nemesis
Ghost Rider
She-Hulk
Thor
Haggar
Tron
Sentinel
Super Skrull
Arthur
Chris
Frank West
Dormammu
Phoenix Wright
Spencer

His j.S is only safe against Hulk, but not really, since Hulk can see it coming and s.H.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
SRK's UMvC3 wiki is being worked on in case anyone wants to look at it. Has guides for a few characters, a glossary, health lists, X-Factor damage boosts and length. http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ultimate_Marvel_vs_Capcom_3

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Basically doom is one of the best characters in the game.

:worship: Doom :worship:
Pretty much. He's on my list of "good characters to use to fill out a team" which is something like: Wesker, Doom, Sentinel, Storm, Taskmaster.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Hey Nidd, remember the hard to space Doom air finger lasers > Thor super grab setup that will grab someone out of blockstun? Hawkeye has the same thing with Gimlet, except if you do it near the top of his superjump it's almost impossible to gently caress up. Also, if they don't block, you actually combo into Thor's grab and get the damage from both supers.

Gimlet gimmicks forever :getin:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

Hey Nidd, remember the hard to space Doom air finger lasers > Thor super grab setup that will grab someone out of blockstun? Hawkeye has the same thing with Gimlet, except if you do it near the top of his superjump it's almost impossible to gently caress up. Also, if they don't block, you actually combo into Thor's grab and get the damage from both supers.

Gimlet gimmicks forever :getin:

I see a fatal flaw in this setup: you'd be playing Thor.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dias posted:

I see a fatal flaw in this setup: you'd be playing Thor.

If you want a slightly less terrible team you can also use it to set up inescapable Haggar/Tron/Nemesis level 3s. Ghost Rider and Modok don't work though. Who else has a super grab that isn't a hit grab?

edit: works with Phoenix Wright, Dr. Strange, Rocket Raccoon, and Iron Fist

edit again: actually whoops i forgot to properly test those last ones, hit grabs can be blocked or combod into, only actual grabs will work regardless

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 27, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jmcrofts posted:

The biggest thing is that in MvC3 if the opponent touches you and wants to kill your character, they'll probably be able to do so. They might save a few meters if you're playing Akuma, but the penalties for getting hit are so huge that in my opinion it's more important that you pick a team that allows you to get hits more easily, regardless of their health.

Higher health is probably a considerably greater advantage at lower levels of play where people arent going to land their TOD combos consistently.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Gamest Mook posted:

Higher health is probably a considerably greater advantage at lower levels of play where people arent going to land their TOD combos consistently.

While I do agree it's an advantage at lower level of play... Contrarily though, Some of the biggest boons of top-tier players like Justin Wong starting with She-Hulk, or Combofiend starting with Nemesis, is that it forces the opponent to make a significant sacrifice (whether it's early X-factor, multiple hyper meters, or snap-backs) in order to get rid of the high-health threat, which subsequently allows their 2nd and 3rd characters to come in with a meter advantage.

You'd often see the 1st high-health character get killed without landing a single hit, yet when the 2nd character comes in, you take a look at the meter and they've got nearly 3 while their opponent has half-of-one. This allowed them to ride a momentum all the way to the end of the match.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I just started playing this game and I'm really bad.

Is Haggar/Strange/Doom a good team? I'm unsure about Haggar mainly because I have a hell of a time getting close to anyone even with Hidden Missiles assist, but I don't know if that's because I'm bad or Haggar is (or both).

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Use Plasma Beam, it'll make things way easier for Haggar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Put Haggar second and use his lariat assist.

• Locked thread