Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Now this is how you win a World Series.

I ended up playing 17 total playoff games, going 3-6 on the road, 8-0 at Mile High. Homefield advantage, baby.

sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Not often you see a game where a guy goes 0-for-5 with 3 errors.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Also known as The Uggla

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Also known as The Uggla

Would have also accepted The Lopez

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Our random captains are about to be posted right here

Edit: I think I just ended up with Lenny Harris. Kill me now.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 21, 2011

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This whole team, but especially the pitching, is real bare. Lenny played on some Real Bad teams.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Dixie Walker probably gives me lots of bad pitching but I get Babe, Gehrig, Greenberg and Kiner. Prepare for dingers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

1919 Ruth :unsmith:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Guys, 99 or 2000 Helton (2000 is probably too expensive), or 1998 John Olerud?

I'm guessing Olerud is always the answer.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This drat team needs to make up it's mind

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ArtVandelay posted:

Guys, 99 or 2000 Helton (2000 is probably too expensive), or 1998 John Olerud?

I'm guessing Olerud is always the answer.

Different season of Olerud, but I'm not going against him when he's doing this: http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=32900176&pl=False&type=2

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

L-L-L-Lenny And The Mets

I have no idea where these guys should play.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I have no idea where these guys should play.

You say this every single time you make a team.

I'm pretty sure you could make a team of guys who all hit 9+ 2B/100# and not know where to put them.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Astacio is gonna get worked

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

toadee posted:

Astacio is gonna get worked

Is he really going to be destroyed?

I'm not sure I have much of a choice, but i'll try and find someone else.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

:getin:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Suck it, toadee. Where's your god Ruth now?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

AlleyViper posted:

Suck it, toadee. Where's your god Ruth now?

yesssssss

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Semper Bats.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

'31 Ruth is false god Ruth. '28, '19... these are true Ruths

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, I have this fellow sitting in AAA in Hometown, with room to play him in the majors immediately

Thing is, I'm 15 games out of first and 10 games out of the wild card. Should I be keeping him down in AAA still? I can't help but feel I'm wasting some of his usefulness since he's already 24. My ML hitting coach is an 84 and my AAA is 79, fwiw.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

So, I have this fellow sitting in AAA in Hometown, with room to play him in the majors immediately

Thing is, I'm 15 games out of first and 10 games out of the wild card. Should I be keeping him down in AAA still? I can't help but feel I'm wasting some of his usefulness since he's already 24. My ML hitting coach is an 84 and my AAA is 79, fwiw.

How many ML games left? Any chance you could catch the WC? Otherwise let him build and 20 games next season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

We're 85 games in and I'm 13 games under .500 so I don't expect I'd be able to catch the WC, no.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

He's only in his 3rd pro year, so I'd do what Scrotos said.

Also, just added Taylor Turner in GW1. It's party time in Columbus.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Um, Sparky? My friend, I'd like to meet with you in my office...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Oh good, I'm in rbow's division in four separate leagues in the second round.

:suicide:

Goodbye chances of winning!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
It's DITR day! And with the new changes to how DITRs work they should be a lot more useful, and...oh...

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I kinda like this league and I think i'm going to join. Anyone else in?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Devo posted:

It's DITR day! And with the new changes to how DITRs work they should be a lot more useful, and...oh...

So what you're saying is I'm setting myself up for massive disappointment just like every season.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
HBD Spring training, from the nasboat thread:

quote:

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

This is different from what I was told by a non-goon vet - 20 abs, 5 reliever innings, 8 starter innings. Is the 30 abs version confirmed? Or is this a "noone really knows"?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Seriously, Sparky is soooo much worse in HBD than SLB. Look at this crap.

It's already bad enough that my bullpen blows, but Sparky decides to put a long man in because my starter sucks and the game gets out of hand. Fine, no problem. Instead of letting Slash pitch a few innings, though, Sparky pulls him after 0.2. That's actually cool, too, I have another long man to put in. Only...Sparky doesn't use him at all and tries to go through as many of my other arms as possible.

:ughh:

e: in other news, Jose Bautista is posting a .998 OPS in our open league (vs. a 1.046 OPS#) with 16 plus plays. Considering how badly some modern players normalize, that difference between OPS and OPS# is comparatively marginal. Lesson: Joey Bats owns.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 29, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, which of these guys is the better prospect?

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
at the risk of raising Gyro's ire i'm pretty sure it's Romero.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Assuming projections are high enough to be accurate, Romero and I don't think it's close - but I will say that Cedeno is better now.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I'm worried that even with the better makeup Romero's not going to hit his projections as well as Cedeno's going to. Still would favor Romero by a bit rhough.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Jesus, free agency in HBD is such a money sink. I desperately needed a bullpen guy for the new season but I've had to go without because all the half-decent ones had giant wads of money thrown at them. The one I wanted ended up signing a deal for 5/45.

Also, I assumed they won't go for more years because I offered a guy 1/8, but he ended up signing somewhere else for 2/10. He said he wanted one year.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

In order to live up to my gimmick, I'll be contrary. Bear in mind that I have literally no experience with players like Romero, so there's a fair bit of conjecture going on.

They're both COF/1b/DH dudes. Arguably Cedeno shouldn't play in the outfield but in my defense-hating perspective there's no reason he can't play LF. Personally, I hate 12 power in a corner position. But it's more than that. Romero has no power, mediocre eye, and poor speed. His offense is going to be very AVG heavy. Even though HBD has no concept of BAbip or poo poo like that, I've observed that AVG fluctuates with a fair amount of inconsistency, and that makes me wary of Romero.

Those contact/vR numbers are great but honestly I haven't seen a consistently good HBD hitter that makes it on contact/vR alone. Usually there's speed or power to back it up.

But this is all conjecture informed by a knee-jerk reaction against a corner OF with 12 power. I have no idea how to really judge a player like Romero. There aren't many guys with value so tied up in contact/vR. The best I can do is find a reasonable comp in Mordecai: this guy, who has been pretty drat bad . Basically, he makes really low power/low speed look like a TERRIBLE combo.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

gyroball posted:

But this is all conjecture informed by a knee-jerk reaction against a corner OF with 12 power. I have no idea how to really judge a player like Romero. There aren't many guys with value so tied up in contact/vR. The best I can do is find a reasonable comp in Mordecai: this guy, who has been pretty drat bad . Basically, he makes really low power/low speed look like a TERRIBLE combo.

They have similar speeds, but Romero's baserunning is much higher. Honestly I'd go for Romero even just as a science experiment. Maybe that high baserunning will be getting him lots of doubles, or maybe he'll just get on base a fair amount (Guzman does have a .358 OBP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm unlikely to get either anyway because I've only got 4m available to offer and I have to give them a big league deal to try and make up that difference. :|

• Locked thread