Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I seem to recall a thread specifically on knifes and sharpening, but can't find it and recall being somewhat overwhelmed. I know there's many opinions about it, but I would like recommendations on a sharpening stone. I have a good mix of knives (Chef, boning, paring, santuko), and would like to keep them sharp myself outside of just running them over the steeler or taking them to a professional.

I didn't know if it should go here or the product recommendations thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Anyone have a good peanut/cashew brittle recipe? Looking to do that for my holiday gifts this year.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

gotly posted:

Cake decorators! I need your assistance. I'm dating a cake decorator and want to buy her an airbrush. She's said she needs one before and I think it'd be a good Christmas present. I realize this would be like her buying me a video card so I wanted to consult the experts.

Is there an "industry standard" high quality airbrush that she'll be happy with? Does one size fit all or are there airbrushes for different cakes etc?
Price isn't that big of a barrier as much as bang for the buck.

Also, is there a general cake thread? I didn't see one.

I've used one like this when I was in school it's a pretty standard one.
http://www.pastrychef.com/KOPYKAKE-AIR-BRUSH-SYSTEM_p_977.html

Airbrushes need to use a certain kind of food coloring, but I'm sure if she's used one before she knows about that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Time Trial posted:

Anyone have a good peanut/cashew brittle recipe? Looking to do that for my holiday gifts this year.

I use AB's http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/peanut-brittle-recipe/index.html but with cashews, pistachios, or pine nuts and french onion soup mix

People bitch about it being difficult because it doesn't have the crystallization insurance of corn syrup, but I just say they suck. I've never had a problem with it :smugbert:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here's another variation of brittle that has a nice flavor from adding butter and a lighter texture by adding baking soda:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/PeanutBrittle.html

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Jose posted:

Crack the egg around the middle then just roll it on a hard surface so that it has cracks all over and the skin under the shell is lose. Then just pull at it somewhere so the skin breaks away from the egg and just peel it all off

For some reason this never works for me. I smoosh the top and the bottom of the egg, where the air pockets are, and then remove the tops and bottom, and pick away the shell and membrane in as big pieces as possible. When I roll the entire egg around to crack it everywhere, little pieces always stick to the egg for me.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

kiteless posted:

For some reason this never works for me. I smoosh the top and the bottom of the egg, where the air pockets are, and then remove the tops and bottom, and pick away the shell and membrane in as big pieces as possible. When I roll the entire egg around to crack it everywhere, little pieces always stick to the egg for me.

So you've got the pot or bowl full of ice water that you've chilled the eggs in before peeling, right? Just set up a bowl next to it to hold the peeled shells, and as you peel, dunk the eggs in the ice water to remove any stray bits.

For anyone that's having boiled egg problems, just buy a dozen and spend an afternoon boiling and peeling. You'll get the hang of it soon enough. This is really the best advice for any egg preparation. See it as $2 spent on education. Poaching, frying, scrambling, omelets, whatever, just keep screwing up until you get it right. Once you've succeeded, you at least have the confidence to know what looks and feels right and you can build on that in the future.

If you're particularly egg-challenged, spring for the 18-pack just to be safe.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, was just going to shred it. After I reduce it, if I taste it and it's too salty, then what? Toss it? Dilute it with water?

just dilute a bit its ok

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I know it's a stupid question, but I'm a germophobe, so… I just started cooking at a place I moved into somewhat recently, and this is the first place I've ever lived in without a dishwasher and only one sink. When I'm cooking chicken at home, and I'm doing the dishes, do I need to do up a cold water/bleach solution to sanitize the dishes? I know how to do that from the three times I got a foodhandler's permit, but do I need to do that at home?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Why are you handing raw chicken over clean dishes? Just wash them with hot water and soap - you don't bleach your hands after every time you touch something raw, do you? Or do the dishes before you cook something you know will involve the sink.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I should've been clearer; I was referring only to the stuff that the raw meat has to touch, like cutting boards and knives. I think you still answered my question, though. Thanks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
bleach solution is for things that can't go into the sanitizer like countertops, and for in-between prep tasks when you don't have to the time to set up a fresh station, you wipe everything down with bleach, usually flip your cutting board too, and move on. It's not for all-the-time cleaning

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
quickie: i've made a bunch of falafel tonight, and was wondering if i could freeze the resulting tasty product. and what's the procedure for reheating them, just in the oven or in oil again?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

dino. posted:

This is the exact problem I have with butternut squash. I used to love it as a kid, because it was starchy and savoury, with a VERY mild back note of sweetness. Every time I bite into a bit of butternut nowadays, it's a ball of disappointment and pain, because it's so loving sweet. I never liked sweet things, even as a kid, so I know it's not just me. And now that you mention your squick about peas, I feel like I've found a kindred spirit who feels my pain. MAINS SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE AFTERS. Ugh.

If it helps any, I've found that edamame is a decent substitute for peas. They're quite lovely, and only very mildly sweet in comparison to peas. I still enjoy peas, but only when steamed lightly, tossed in oil and salt, and roasted in the oven. The caramelly taste seems to offset the choking sweetness.
If this means you don't like jaleybi and ras malai and gulab jaman and gajat ka halwa, we are going to have a disagreement.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
So I found some brisket in the freezer, and it's been there for close to a year I think. Will I die if I eat it, or will the texture just be pretty off? Planning to slow-cook it if it doesn't smell like death when it thaws.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Opinion on this Henckels 7" Santoku?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

CloseFriend posted:

I should've been clearer; I was referring only to the stuff that the raw meat has to touch, like cutting boards and knives. I think you still answered my question, though. Thanks!

Yeah, hot water and soap will do you fine, bleach is definitely a step too far. I've cooked and cleaned up after chicken in far, far less sanitary conditions (camping trip) and never gotten ill.

Joborgzorz posted:

So I found some brisket in the freezer, and it's been there for close to a year I think. Will I die if I eat it, or will the texture just be pretty off? Planning to slow-cook it if it doesn't smell like death when it thaws.

Smell test should be all you need really. Just take a very small bite when it's done and if you don't break out in shits/hives/vomiting it'll be fine.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

traveling midget posted:

I don't like the grantons and how close they are to the edge. After a long while, you'll sharpen it up to the point where you'll hit the grantons and that will screw up the edge. It's just something to keep in mind if you're planning to get a santoku and keep it for a long long time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

traveling midget posted:

I think santokus are for people who don't realise that they really want a Chinese cleaver. Disclaimer: there are people who are crazy about Chinese cleavers and will bring them up at every opportunity, and I'm one of them.

A Chan Chi Kee #1 small slicer will do everything an santoku will do and give you more blade to do it with. The downside with the CCK, if you consider it a downside, is that it's carbon steel instead of stainless. So you have to wipe it clean after you use it. It'll also develop a patina, which some people don't like the look of. But functionally I can't think of any argument for a santoku over a Chinese cleaver.

Leaving that aside and just talking about santokus, I'm not crazy about any of the big name German brand santokus (Henckels, Wüsthof); all their Japanese-pattern kitchen knives are way thicker than they really ought to be. This is most noticeable around the pinch point along the spine of the blade where it meets the handle, but I find it tends to make the whole knife feel clumsier. I used to prefer the European `headsman's axe' school of cutlery design, but changed my mind after trying lighter chef's knives. If I had to buy and use a santoku for some reason I'd probably buy a Tojiro if price was the major consideration, a Moritaka if I was willing to spend a little more, or one of the high-end handmades if price was no object.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SubG posted:

I think santokus are for people who don't realise that they really want a Chinese cleaver. Disclaimer: there are people who are crazy about Chinese cleavers and will bring them up at every opportunity, and I'm one of them.

A Chan Chi Kee #1 small slicer will do everything an santoku will do and give you more blade to do it with. The downside with the CCK, if you consider it a downside, is that it's carbon steel instead of stainless. So you have to wipe it clean after you use it. It'll also develop a patina, which some people don't like the look of. But functionally I can't think of any argument for a santoku over a Chinese cleaver.

Leaving that aside and just talking about santokus, I'm not crazy about any of the big name German brand santokus (Henckels, Wüsthof); all their Japanese-pattern kitchen knives are way thicker than they really ought to be. This is most noticeable around the pinch point along the spine of the blade where it meets the handle, but I find it tends to make the whole knife feel clumsier. I used to prefer the European `headsman's axe' school of cutlery design, but changed my mind after trying lighter chef's knives. If I had to buy and use a santoku for some reason I'd probably buy a Tojiro if price was the major consideration, a Moritaka if I was willing to spend a little more, or one of the high-end handmades if price was no object.

Thank you for this post!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Junior G-man posted:

Smell test should be all you need really. Just take a very small bite when it's done and if you don't break out in shits/hives/vomiting it'll be fine.

Trip report: Year-old freezer brisket was awesome after cooking for 4 hours. Should have trimmed a little more fat off though. Oh well, it's the holidays and I'm pounding eggnog anyways.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Frobbe posted:

quickie: i've made a bunch of falafel tonight, and was wondering if i could freeze the resulting tasty product. and what's the procedure for reheating them, just in the oven or in oil again?

Going on some pre-made frozen Falafel I buy now and then, either would be fine. They'll be a bit more dry if you reheat them in the oven though. Serve with Hummus in that case.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Santoku knives are great for small-to-medium-sized vegetable prepwork where the normal paring knife might be just a little too small.

Also take note of the following: the "Chinese Cleaver" is, in fact, a chef's knife but with a very tall blade that gives it some particular features. Chief amongst these is the (extremely useful, it would seem) ability to use the knife to carry prepared foods to the cooking vessel. It also serves to make it more stable laterally, and the height makes it easy to guide it by the thumb-side of the supporting hand. The name of this knife is "cai dao", meaning vegetable knife, reflecting its most common usage although it's equally used for final carving of meat, fish, noodles, pastry or tofu. What it is not, is a good cleaver with a heavy, soft blade, made for chopping into bone. For this purpose, the Chinese have an similar tool, called a tu dao. Here's a specimen. It's a knife for breaking up an animal, and it looks like it: http://product.11467.com/176236

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Reading the recipe on the back of this Wal-Mart package of Tuna steaks, and it calls for Mirin rice wine, which I don't have. A quick Google says to use white wine + sugar as substitute, but all I have on hand is a bottle of Sangria... minus the different color, will that suffice?

Better yet, someone give me some idea with the Tuna steaks.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Userf4058 posted:

A quick Google says to use white wine + sugar as substitute, but all I have on hand is a bottle of Sangria... minus the different color, will that suffice?

No. Absolutely not. That is like trying to trade cabbage for iceberg lettuce because they're both green and round. You might have a recipe in which the result isn't bad, but it's not an actual substitution. That analogy is a little misleading because there might be more similarities between cabbage and iceburg lettuce than mirin and bottled sangria.

I'm fairly sure you don't want to cook with that sangria, at least.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Last night I threw some marinade on some frozen steaks about 8PM, in a plastic container with a lid, on the counter, intending to put it in the fridge before bed.

And I forgot to do that.

My wife was up at 5AM and tossed them in the fridge while muttering curses.

Still safe to eat?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's a long time at room temperature, I'd throw them out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Toss that meat, next time use an alarm clock.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
They were frozen solid? I'd think that frozen steaks in a closed container at room temp for 9 hours would be pretty drat cold still.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'd eat them.

Why marinade frozen steaks, though? I'd have thought that would be a waste of time.

Edit: Specifically because they were frozen, not because I'm some sort of marinade-hater.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The wiki has been really hammered with spam lately, so if any legit goons have created accounts recently and suddenly find themselves blocked, I'm very sorry and please let me know who you are and I'll unblock you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I'd eat them.

Why marinade frozen steaks, though? I'd have thought that would be a waste of time.

Edit: Specifically because they were frozen, not because I'm some sort of marinade-hater.

I think he was trying to defrost and marinate simultaneously, although that is a bad idea because meat releases juice as it thaws and washes the marinade off of itself and makes it all watery

also marinades are dumb and dont do anything seasoning at cooking does better

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

They were frozen solid? I'd think that frozen steaks in a closed container at room temp for 9 hours would be pretty drat cold still.

Yeah, they were frozen solid.

pile of brown posted:

I think he was trying to defrost and marinate simultaneously, although that is a bad idea because meat releases juice as it thaws and washes the marinade off of itself and makes it all watery

also marinades are dumb and dont do anything seasoning at cooking does better

Yeah, this. Good to know, though. :(

I think I'll just chuck 'em, and run to town for some fresh ones. Thanks folks.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I left a whole chicken in the fridge for two days to dry out the skin (per Thomas Keller), and I took it out this morning to get it down to room temperature for an hour, but ended up leaving it out of the fridge for about 8 hours. I assume it's no longer good, because the skin is a bit brown and the ends of the bones are a dark red color. So now I just want to use it for stock. What parts do I cut off for stock and what do I throw away? I know I should cut off the wings and the back. Do I just cut off all the meat from the rest of it and use the whole carcass?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Irish Revenge posted:

leaving it out of the fridge for about 8 hours.

Toss it. Don't even use it for stock. It's garbage.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Ok, being frugal again, and have just ground 25pounds of meat(whatever the wife didn't steal for cutlets or for future chilis), I used round of beef and chuck steak (the dictionary tells me that it is so)...

Both are extremely lean, what cuts of pig/beef are the best for grinding?

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiteless posted:

Toss it. Don't even use it for stock. It's garbage.

Won't boiling it for ten hours kill everything though? I guess if I can't use it I can always practice cutting it up at least.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Irish Revenge posted:

Won't boiling it for ten hours kill everything though? I guess if I can't use it I can always practice cutting it up at least.

Some bacteria leave toxins that can't be cooked away.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/poison.html

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Speaking of stock...

I have a ham bone and a bunch of assorted carcass pieces from a pair of cornish game hens. I would like to transform these, via methods or magic, into delicious soup. I have never done anything of the sort before, with my soup experience being generally limited to cans. Questions:

- Do I turn this into stock first, and then use that stock for soup?
- How would I do that?
- What vegetables could I add to make the stock, or should I save those for the soup side of things?
- Is it a bad idea to use both poultry bones and the ham bone?

Please guide me through this new and strange adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Speaking of stock...

I have a ham bone and a bunch of assorted carcass pieces from a pair of cornish game hens. I would like to transform these, via methods or magic, into delicious soup. I have never done anything of the sort before, with my soup experience being generally limited to cans. Questions:

- Do I turn this into stock first, and then use that stock for soup?
- How would I do that?
- What vegetables could I add to make the stock, or should I save those for the soup side of things?
- Is it a bad idea to use both poultry bones and the ham bone?

Please guide me through this new and strange adventure!

1. You boil stock out of the bones and fleshy bits and then strain it. The strained stock turns into a base that can be used for soup, sauces or a sexual lubricant.

2. Boil in lots of water for a few hours. No salt. I don't know if it's true but I've heard it said that salt in a stock makes flavour bind to the bones and meat. Also you probably don't want extraneous salt. With stock in place, go to town and make some soup. What soup? I dunno, you tell me. Cream of something? Clear broth-like soup with chunks of veg and meat and noodles?

3. Quartered onions (a bit of onion skin gives a nice yellow colour). Celeriac and celery stalks. Garlic cloves. Bay leaf. Parsley stalks. Green onions and leek (a good place to use very stringy green tips). Carrots. Ixnay on cabbage, swede or other very pungent or mushy or distinctive types of vegetable or herbs.

4. No, quite the contrary.