Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
What happens when the wings fall off a C-130? With the magic of Youtube, we can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

mlmp08 posted:

The Marine Super Cobra pilot managed to get past our defenses by "accidentally" loading up his Mode 4 codes (cheating) Then he did a loving airshow on top of our faces flipping every which way, standing on his tail and nose, and generally doing things I honestly didn't know you could do in such a chopper so low to the ground without crashing.
That is loving awesome. I imagine the general reaction was:
:bahgawd: "What the gently caress, he's cheating? What a di-"

:aaa: "How..."

:golfclap:

You literally cannot be mad after an impromptu air-show like that, you're asking for an autograph or a ride.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 26, 2011

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That's when you slip the ref a few :10bux: and have him use the god gun.

... except I don't think helicopters had the laser tag gear

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gohuskies posted:

What happens when the wings fall off a C-130? With the magic of Youtube, we can see.

Holy poo poo, that would be terrifying. The poor crew. :(

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

mlmp08 posted:

Airshows notwithstanding, most of my extremely low buzzes have come from doing IADS (Integrated Air Defense Systems) exercises. The Marines liked to scream over our sight just barely high enough to avoid communications arrays in Harriers and F-5s, then the Air Force joined in with a couple of F-16s.

The Marine Super Cobra pilot managed to get past our defenses by "accidentally" loading up his Mode 4 codes (cheating) Then he did a loving airshow on top of our faces flipping every which way, standing on his tail and nose, and generally doing things I honestly didn't know you could do in such a chopper so low to the ground without crashing.

Even though the jets are much louder, they weren't quite as surprising as when I was driving a car in Indiana and a crop duster passed me going all of 20ish mph faster than I was and only about 40 feet higher than the road.

Got the same sort of show from a Cobra section when I was in Iraq. We had a section chopped out to us doing surveillance ahead of our movement to find pickup trucks or something. When they had about 5 minutes of on station time left they asked us if we wanted a show. Couple of mock strafing runs, some acrobatics and then they flew back to wherever they came from to eat ice cream.

Also, had an F/A-18 fly inverted over my platoon at like 500M.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Suicide Watch posted:

Does anyone know the common route Tu-95 Bears took during their patrols? I'd only just learned about their insane flight range. Basically they can fly 1/3 the circumference of the Earth.

Depends on where they were headed...Northwestern Pacific/Arctic patrols usually start from a forward base in Siberia and then they will just fly around the periphery of the entire state of Alaska, possibly starting further to the east in the North so the Canadians have to come up to intercept. Atlantic patrols usually start from a forward base on the Kola Peninsula, from where the aircraft would fly around the North Cape of Norway, and then either come through the G-I-UK gap on their way down the Eastern seaboard to either Cuba or Venezuela or fly through the North Sea and down the English Channel. Then of course there are also the carrier intercept missions, where they try and find a U.S. carrier strike group (carrier battle group back then) and see how close they can get before they are intercepted. They also fly patrols near Japan, usually related to the Kuril Islands dispute.

movax posted:

Not sure on the exact routing, but the Bear is one thing the Soviets did right. Turboprop airframe that can fly pretty much forever and is much easier to maintain than computerized jet powered aircraft.

If I recall correctly, Putin got bored and started having them poke US airspace again. I think he sent -22BMs to Venezuela too.

That's been going on for quite a few years now; Putin restarted them in 2007 and they've been taking place regularly ever since.

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes, Gulf War 1 gave us so much access to Iraqi oil.

As for the F-14, I thought the early models engines purely sucked- were the Iranian export models modified to remove a lot of the carrier-aviation only equipment and got upgraded engines, or were they the original models?

The Iranian models were equipped with the TF30s, as the U.S. didn't upgrade beyond them the late '80s. They weren't terrible engines, it's not like they blew up or anything, it's just that they suffered compressor stalls at high angles of attack when the throttles were moved aggressively...which is kind of a problem for a fighter.

For what it's worth, they were also used in the A-7 and F-111 and didn't see nearly the same amount of trouble with those platforms (although there were similar issues with disturbed air getting into the engines on the F-111 due to the initial intake design).

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
18 episode documentary covering russian military and civilian avaiton from Imperial Russia to now (episode 3 covers jet fighters during the cold war)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUd7WcaLO0

edit: the discription of lend lease aircraft is commedy gold (the B-25 had bourgeoisie luxury items like heating and a toilett)

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 27, 2011

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

That's when you slip the ref a few :10bux: and have him use the god gun.

... except I don't think helicopters had the laser tag gear

Our system, Patriot, has live air trainer where it radiates searching for live air and everything works exactly as it does in tactical mode, except that when you engage aircraft, it simulates the missile going outbound and shows it on your scope. If the aircraft masks and we lose it entirely, it's counted as a miss, and if we maintain contact the entire time, the system calculates the odds of an intercept given the aircraft's range, flight profile, size, etc.

Once the symbology of the aircraft has a "kill" modifier on it, we hard copy the event to have a timestamp, then call up our control chain and let them know we destroyed the aircraft. This info gets fed to the white cell running the event, and then they call the red cell, and then the red cell calls on the pilot.

This process results in a lot of pilots screaming over our sites to bomb us not realizing they were killed 40 kilometers back.

For aircraft with a RWR, we can just spoof them with the track-via-missile, forcing our radar to emit at the aircraft in question as if the radar were doing last-second illumination we use to guide real missiles, just without actually firing a missile.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 27, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Once the symbology of the aircraft has a "kill" modifier on it, we hard copy the event to have a timestamp, then call up our control chain and let them know we destroyed the aircraft. This info gets fed to the white cell running the event, and then they call the red cell, and then the red cell calls on the pilot.

This process results in a lot of pilots screaming over our sites to bomb us not realizing they were killed 40 kilometers back.

I got to sit in on a Red Flag debrief a couple of weeks back...the white cell dudes did a pretty good job of making sure everyone knew when they were dead, but every so often a pilot would pop off a visual heater or SAM-1 would take a shot with their emitters that didn't get passed along, so the shooter would make the call and then someone else who had piped up for a later shot would be like....yeah, never mind.

"Uh, hello, airplanes? Yeah, it's blimps, you win, bye! I hope you didn't invest in this."

Since TFR loves Archer, and I happened to be watching the blimp episode tonight, I thought this was relevant.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
anecdotal not sure if true stories from a russian posted on 4chan in broken english about his father and uncle

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

I got to sit in on a Red Flag debrief a couple of weeks back...the white cell dudes did a pretty good job of making sure everyone knew when they were dead, but every so often a pilot would pop off a visual heater or SAM-1 would take a shot with their emitters that didn't get passed along, so the shooter would make the call and then someone else who had piped up for a later shot would be like....yeah, never mind.

Yeah, the WTI events I've been to have all had the white cell take a full 12 hours or so to figure out who shot what and when based on engagement reports.

There have been a few times when Patriot has a blip of a helo right as it hits our radar's dead space and just really had to hope the stinger guys got it. The stinger guys always nailed the choppers though. And their own F-18s :sigh:

It's also really amusing to see a pilot become visibly disappointed when he sees that a SAM hit his airplane about 2 seconds before he dropped his bombs.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

slidebite posted:

A little bit of irony that a nation can barely keep a 40 year old aircraft in the sky, 35 year old AA missile operational, but yet can almost make a nuclear weapon and basic launch system.

I guess North Korea has a bit more irony than that though.

I dunno, the US developed a nuclear weapon from scratch, during a large war, using early-to-mid-1940's technology...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah the logistical and industrial ressources and efforts required by a state to hand make a few nuclear weapons, especially since the recipe already exist, don't even begin to compare to what you'd need to maintain a whole fleet of modern aircrafts... Especially without access to OEM parts and trained techs.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
TU 160 Blackjack

:swoon:

(model) size comparison between the TU22M, TU160, and B1:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Do my eyes deceive me, or does the entire tail fin pivot above the elevators?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Do my eyes deceive me, or does the entire tail fin pivot above the elevators?

Yeah, that's called a "stabilator" or "all-moving tailplane." Practically everything supersonic uses them, and there are a fair number of subsonic civil aircraft that use them, too.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The UH-60 Black Hawk also utilizes a stabilator.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I learn something new here every day.

Edit: yes, the vertical stabilizer.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 28, 2011

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Space Gopher posted:

Yeah, that's called a "stabilator" or "all-moving tailplane." Practically everything supersonic uses them, and there are a fair number of subsonic civil aircraft that use them, too.

I think hes asking about the entire verticle stabalizer acting as a rudder not the horizontal stabalizers. Most supersonic aircraft definitely do not have that feature.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russ...hoto_album=hide

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

The Soviets did some crazy things. One of which was their development of the ekranoplans, ground effect flying ships. Some of which were built, like the Lun missile ekranoplan (was featured earlier in either this thread IIRC), but one idea proposed in the mid 70s was too insane, even for the soviets: the flying aircraft carrier. Weighing 8,000 tons with an 800' chord wing, this ekranoplan would fly across the Atlantic at aircraft speeds, much faster than any American supercarrier.

Unfortunately, all I was able to find of this were a few terse mentions of Alekseev's Project Seconds and this sketch of an older design. Wings of Russia showed a more updated design that looked to be operating Su-37Ks, but I can't seem to find it online.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Holy poo poo...yeah, the ekranoplanes were discussed earlier in the thread (specifically the Lun class and their ability to carry six Moskit/Sunburn anti-ship cruise missiles and how that could make a carrier battle group's day very interesting), but I had no idea they thought about creating a loving aircraft carrier.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do ekranoplanes work on open oceans with waves, or bad weather? I would have thought that's the reason why there are no trans-oceanic ekranoplane liners.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread too but another awesome wacky Russian thing was the ZIL screw drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI

Although I think screw drive vehicles had been around before, there's a vid for a 1929 Fordson tractor conversion on youtube too.

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2011

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

iyaayas01 posted:

Holy poo poo...yeah, the ekranoplanes were discussed earlier in the thread (specifically the Lun class and their ability to carry six Moskit/Sunburn anti-ship cruise missiles and how that could make a carrier battle group's day very interesting), but I had no idea they thought about creating a loving aircraft carrier.

Enjoy

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SyHopeful posted:

Enjoy
Yes, that's it, ekronoplan aircraft carrier about 13:00 in, just look at the motherfucker:

Not much of a runway, but then, you don't really need a runway when your airfield is already flying above your aircrafts' stall speed!

grover fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 4, 2011

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Enjoy

Hydrofoil kitty :3:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

priznat posted:

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread too but another awesome wacky Russian thing was the ZIL screw drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI

Although I think screw drive vehicles had been around before, there's a vid for a 1929 Fordson tractor conversion on youtube too.

:stare: So that's where they got the idea

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sjurygg posted:

Hydrofoil kitty :3:
It would have been cute, except it looks like the cat was intentionally stranded on the scale hydrofoil to test dynamic weight transfer...

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Throatwarbler posted:

Do ekranoplanes work on open oceans with waves, or bad weather? I would have thought that's the reason why there are no trans-oceanic ekranoplane liners.

They can skim up to ~1/2 wingspan above the surface, so the wave height that is negligible depends on the size of the ekranoplane. Take-off and landing will be more weather-dependent. I think the lack of them has to do with there being no market niche that isn't already filled with airliners or cargo ships. Airliners can go considerably faster, don't have to worry about saltwater corrosion, and can use airports far inland. Containerised or bulk cargo ships are slow but they are drat cheap. In comparison, the ekranoplan is neither fish nor fowl. I think they could have an application for racing, somewhere in-between jet hydrofoils and Reno Unlimited-class planes.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Frozen Horse posted:

They can skim up to ~1/2 wingspan above the surface, so the wave height that is negligible depends on the size of the ekranoplane. Take-off and landing will be more weather-dependent. I think the lack of them has to do with there being no market niche that isn't already filled with airliners or cargo ships. Airliners can go considerably faster, don't have to worry about saltwater corrosion, and can use airports far inland. Containerised or bulk cargo ships are slow but they are drat cheap. In comparison, the ekranoplan is neither fish nor fowl. I think they could have an application for racing, somewhere in-between jet hydrofoils and Reno Unlimited-class planes.

Well, they do fill a niche: they carry heavier cargo (or weapons or whatever) than airplanes, at close-to-airplane speeds. But, besides all the other stuff you mentioned, there's another glaring issue: density. Air is much denser at sea level than at 35k feet, and that means a lot when you're going into it at a significant fraction of the speed of sound. Ekranoplan wings are more efficient in terms of lift-to-drag, but shoving that fuselage through dense air at jetliner speeds is going to eat all the efficiency savings right back up. Plus, even though they can fly over waves fairly well, they're still going to have more storm issues than an ordinary airplane that can just fly above a lot of weather.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Space Gopher posted:

Well, they do fill a niche: they carry heavier cargo (or weapons or whatever) than airplanes, at close-to-airplane speeds. But, besides all the other stuff you mentioned, there's another glaring issue: density. Air is much denser at sea level than at 35k feet, and that means a lot when you're going into it at a significant fraction of the speed of sound. Ekranoplan wings are more efficient in terms of lift-to-drag, but shoving that fuselage through dense air at jetliner speeds is going to eat all the efficiency savings right back up. Plus, even though they can fly over waves fairly well, they're still going to have more storm issues than an ordinary airplane that can just fly above a lot of weather.

That too, but what I was mainly pointing out is that for cargo aside from those that you want delivered to a beach you're storming, there isn't much that falls into the middle-speed category. Air cargo will always be faster for reasons we both pointed out, and container shipment is fast enough for everything that can wait a week or so. It's not that there's no market for something that could get you to Vanuatu from San Francisco at half the speed of a 747 for a little less money, but there's not enough of a market to fund actually building these things.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Take off would be an...interesting experience on one of those things. Wouldn't you have one mother of a pressure wave to get through from that beast punching through the air?

poo poo landing would be a god drat terrifying experience. Even if the relative speed between carrier and plane is similar to a traditional carrier, if you gently caress up its going a lot worse for everyone involved. I'm guessing something flying doesn't take nearly as well to tons of aviation fuel and metal slamming into it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Alaan posted:

poo poo landing would be a god drat terrifying experience. Even if the relative speed between carrier and plane is similar to a traditional carrier, if you gently caress up its going a lot worse for everyone involved. I'm guessing something flying doesn't take nearly as well to tons of aviation fuel and metal slamming into it.

That's the thing though, the relative speed would be way less than a traditional carrier...traditional carriers these days typically have a max speed of 30ish knots. The Lun class ekranoplan had a max speed of slightly under 300 knots. Even if we assume that a larger ekranoplan carrier would be considerably slower, approach speed for your typical naval aircraft is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-150 knots...chances are that the larger carrier sized ekranoplan would still be able to cruise at least that fast, so it's less about a traditional landing and more about just coming aboard. Fixed wing operations would probably resemble rotary wing operations on a cruising ship, where the aircraft matches speed, maneuvers into place, gets into contact with the landing surface, and then reduces power to touch down for good.

Of course, your point about turbulence and the like is a good one, since a craft that size moving that fast is going to be putting off some decent wake turbulence.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Frozen Horse posted:

That too, but what I was mainly pointing out is that for cargo aside from those that you want delivered to a beach you're storming, there isn't much that falls into the middle-speed category. Air cargo will always be faster for reasons we both pointed out, and container shipment is fast enough for everything that can wait a week or so. It's not that there's no market for something that could get you to Vanuatu from San Francisco at half the speed of a 747 for a little less money, but there's not enough of a market to fund actually building these things.

Yeah, that's basically it, so much that the few A-90s built would cover the rather marginal (as compared to other deployment methods relevant for the mission) job of putting a mechanized battalion or so anywhere within a few hundred kilometers somewhere not too heavily protected in a few hours. And the Lun, like iyayaa01 said, could potentially make the day very interesting indeed for a carrier group with six Moskits strapped to its back.

But apart from that, especially considering the high-seas issues of storms and heavy waves, it's a tough job finding a good bag of missions for it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Sjurygg posted:

Yeah, that's basically it, so much that the few A-90s built would cover the rather marginal (as compared to other deployment methods relevant for the mission) job of putting a mechanized battalion or so anywhere within a few hundred kilometers somewhere not too heavily protected in a few hours. And the Lun, like iyayaa01 said, could potentially make the day very interesting indeed for a carrier group with six Moskits strapped to its back.

But apart from that, especially considering the high-seas issues of storms and heavy waves, it's a tough job finding a good bag of missions for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-90_Orlyonok

This?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah. The concept is impressive, but there's a lot of what-ifs and can-nots to make it work.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sjurygg posted:

And the Lun, like iyayaa01 said, could potentially make the day very interesting indeed for a carrier group with six Moskits strapped to its back.

How much more dangerous and less detectable could this be than a more conventional bomber riding the deck with a belly and/or wing pylons full of cruise missiles? According to Wikipedia the Moskits can be launched from Su-33s, which perversely have longer range (not sure if this is with Moskit-incompatible droptanks.) Even factoring in the Lun's absurdly low altitude, it's so large that the Sukhoi may still be harder to detect, and hiding over the horizon would negate what appears to be its main advantage of carrying ship-sized active search and guidance radars.

What really blows my mind is that this was a plane put into service in '87 that had a tailgunner position. And at least one more dorsal turret under the front launchers. Here's some pics.

This thing kinda strikes me as more of 'really badass replacement for a small missile frigate' than a genuinely effective aircraft. Which may be why only one was made.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

How much more dangerous and less detectable could this be than a more conventional bomber riding the deck with a belly and/or wing pylons full of cruise missiles? According to Wikipedia the Moskits can be launched from Su-33s, which perversely have longer range (not sure if this is with Moskit-incompatible droptanks.) Even factoring in the Lun's absurdly low altitude, it's so large that the Sukhoi may still be harder to detect, and hiding over the horizon would negate what appears to be its main advantage of carrying ship-sized active search and guidance radars.

What really blows my mind is that this was a plane put into service in '87 that had a tailgunner position. And at least one more dorsal turret under the front launchers. Here's some pics.

This thing kinda strikes me as more of 'really badass replacement for a small missile frigate' than a genuinely effective aircraft. Which may be why only one was made.

The Sukhoi's quoted range also isn't the range skimming at sea level, presumably.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

IIRC, those things were designed mostly for use in interior seas (Black Sea, etc) which is relatively calm compared to say, the North Atlantic. They were also tested for use in over-the pole arctic transport.

I think one made an appearance in a GI:Joe Special Missions issue which led to a very confused reference librarian getting some inter-library loan requests from a determined eleven year old. I wanted to know what that thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

Enjoy

The whole wings of Russia series is great despite the narration, anyone reading this thread should watch them.