Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Having not looked at CPUs for a bit, are these Sandy Bridge processors with integrated graphics something that works with a separate graphics card or just a replacement if you don't have one?

When would be the best time to buy new hardware? Today while some black friday stuff is still up, cyber monday, or after christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The IGP is Just Another Graphics Device. You can use it and run monitors off it (if the motherboard supports that), either alone or in addition to a discrete card. You can also ignore it if you have a nice graphics card and don't need it.

Best time to buy is when you need it. Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are also nice, but various components go on sale all the time, so while the deals are nice, you're not completely missing out by waiting.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Anyone here have experience in "travel-proofing" a computer?

I'm going away overseas and I need to bring my tower computer with me. How can I store, arrange, and pack my precious computer components into my luggage in such a way so it won't get crushed to bits?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've spent about 4 hours futilely trying to get sound to work on my mom's desktop PC with no progress, so here goes:

Dell Dimension 2400, I reformatted & reinstalled a fresh copy of XP w/ SP3. Had to download a bunch of drivers (including the always fun 'oh boy, no network drivers so i need a 2nd computer to burn cds') and thought things were going well.

However, the onboard sound card (SoundMax) is refusing to output any sound. The speakers work fine and I've tested them with other devices. The sound card shows up as correctly installed in device manager with no problems, everything is unmuted, but it just won't play audio. I updated the chipset (intel 845g) driver and have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver repeatedly, with no luck. I also checked the BIOS to make sure the audio is on, which it is.

One specific on the driver-I grabbed it off Dell's site and ran the setup, which failed. This seems to be a fairly common problem, where it says 'driver not found, reboot the system.' I've found no way to fix this, so I installed the driver manually using the have disk method in hardware installation and pointing it at the actual driver file.

What the hell do I do at this point? I've read a few forums that seem to point to a possible problem with SP3 & this driver, but I can't figure out what the gently caress the problem is.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Got an SSD, and I'm curious if bit-for-bit copying drives works with partitions? I know the source drive has to be same size or smaller to do that, but I'm hoping I will be able to move the 60GB partition on my 640GB HDD to a similar partition on the SSD.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I'm going away overseas and I need to bring my tower computer with me. How can I store, arrange, and pack my precious computer components into my luggage in such a way so it won't get crushed to bits?

Pack it properly in a box and ship it via FedEx or DHL.

mastershakeman posted:

I've spent about 4 hours futilely trying to get sound to work on my mom's desktop PC with no progress, so here goes:

Dell Dimension 2400, I reformatted & reinstalled a fresh copy of XP w/ SP3. Had to download a bunch of drivers (including the always fun 'oh boy, no network drivers so i need a 2nd computer to burn cds') and thought things were going well.

However, the onboard sound card (SoundMax) is refusing to output any sound. The speakers work fine and I've tested them with other devices. The sound card shows up as correctly installed in device manager with no problems, everything is unmuted, but it just won't play audio. I updated the chipset (intel 845g) driver and have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver repeatedly, with no luck. I also checked the BIOS to make sure the audio is on, which it is.

One specific on the driver-I grabbed it off Dell's site and ran the setup, which failed. This seems to be a fairly common problem, where it says 'driver not found, reboot the system.' I've found no way to fix this, so I installed the driver manually using the have disk method in hardware installation and pointing it at the actual driver file.

What the hell do I do at this point? I've read a few forums that seem to point to a possible problem with SP3 & this driver, but I can't figure out what the gently caress the problem is.

Look at the motherboard for the sound chip, get its driver from the maker's website (e.g. Realtek, etc.).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Look at the motherboard for the sound chip, get its driver from the maker's website (e.g. Realtek, etc.).

It's made by ADI, and their website says to go to the computer/motherboard manufacturer website for drivers, which I've already done.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Look at the properties of it in Device Manager, get the Hardware ID and Google it, should point you in the right direction.

Merrack
Sep 15, 2007
Only sorta a hardware question...

I'm getting ready to buy a new video card and someone mentioned NVidia may be releasing new models this upcoming week. Obviously I'd like to wait until that happens. If I hadn't seen that in a thread, how would I have known? Is there a website that covers release rumors like MacRumors? Looked through the last few pages of SH/SC but I didn't see a Video Card Megathread or anything related.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I packed everything into the boxes the components came in (GPU, motherboard, etc.) and left the case at home. Unless someone explicitly says that it's a good idea, I wouldn't try to ship the computer when it's still put together. It seems like things would get banged around and broken out of sockets way too easily.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any way to have an extension cord for my front I/O headphone/microphone plug ins? My PC is about 4-6 feet away from where I sit, I'd like to be able to just plug in my headphones and have their sound/mic working without having to go all the way to the TV every time, and then doing it again whenever I want sound to come out of my speakers instead, etc.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

zachol posted:

I packed everything into the boxes the components came in (GPU, motherboard, etc.) and left the case at home. Unless someone explicitly says that it's a good idea, I wouldn't try to ship the computer when it's still put together. It seems like things would get banged around and broken out of sockets way too easily.

Oh yeah, if I HAD to send a computer still in the case I'd make sure the internals were packed solid with something. Something I would be sure I could get out afterwards and not leave anything conductive behind.
Either way, though, I'd take the hard drives out and take them with me as carry-on luggage.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm trying to find a laptop IDE DVD burner to replace a busted drive in a friend's laptop. When looking through ebay for a new drive, will I have to get a drive from the same make and model laptop, or will any old laptop IDE drive work properly? If a drive from any maker will work, is it possible to switch the front panels between the two drives to ensure the new one will fit the old laptop?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm thinking about upgrading my computer case to one that mounts the PSU on the bottom of the case but would it still be safe to set the case on the carpet like I do now?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Gromit posted:

Oh yeah, if I HAD to send a computer still in the case I'd make sure the internals were packed solid with something. Something I would be sure I could get out afterwards and not leave anything conductive behind.
Either way, though, I'd take the hard drives out and take them with me as carry-on luggage.

How would you feel about taking a mini tower carry-on? Would you still remove big components from inside the chassis? I'd like to bring my desktop home with me over the Christmas break (via train), and it could probably pass as carry-on size.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

spasticColon posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer case to one that mounts the PSU on the bottom of the case but would it still be safe to set the case on the carpet like I do now?

It's a pretty bad idea to risk overheating your PSU, and even if there's enough clearance for the fan to intake air the carpet will probably make the dust build up the bottom filter really fast. Just get a stand or a least a plank of wood or something to put it on.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

unpronounceable posted:

How would you feel about taking a mini tower carry-on? Would you still remove big components from inside the chassis? I'd like to bring my desktop home with me over the Christmas break (via train), and it could probably pass as carry-on size.

If I had complete control over the box at all times I'd take it on and not mess with it. You only need to worry about people dropping it or kicking it, or having it shaken around violently. If you treat it like you would taking it over to a friend's house, it will be fine.
Train is probably the best option, given how smooth the ride should be. Not sure they'd let you take it on for a plane journey, depending on how anal the security guys are.

The nearest I've come, apart from just a couple of laptops, was taking 6 or 7 bare hard drives with me onto a plane. Put them through the x-ray scanner and no-one batted an eyelid.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A train? Maybe. With trains you usually have a little more control over your carry-ons. On planes, half the time there's no room in the overhead bins and they make you check it (never count on being able to actually keep your carry-on when flying).
I still wouldn't do it, too big a chance stuff will need to get moved and some train guy will toss your bag around.
Also, not to be a jerk, but do you really need to bring your computer with you for Christmas break? It seems pretty risky, and there tend to be random stupid surprises when traveling by train/plane/bus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gromit posted:

The nearest I've come, apart from just a couple of laptops, was taking 6 or 7 bare hard drives with me onto a plane. Put them through the x-ray scanner and no-one batted an eyelid.

They wiped all my bare HD's down (and the inside of my bag) with some wipes that were supposed to detect explosives residue. Then again, I look like a terrorist.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Bob Morales posted:

They wiped all my bare HD's down (and the inside of my bag) with some wipes that were supposed to detect explosives residue. Then again, I look like a terrorist.

They did this to me (not on the way there, same kit, but on the way back!) with a headphone amp. Do terrorists typically use Hammond enclosures? :raise: Felt a bit insulted at the way the woman who did the swabbing of all my poo poo acted like it was nothing to be alarmed at, don't worry, we'll get this done real quick and get you on your way - come on, lady, I understand that at the moment you are concerned I have a god damned bomb in there, just... swab it and give me my poo poo back.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gromit posted:

Definitely remove the heatsink (especially if its a large aftermarket one). On a FS/FT forum I frequented, the accepted practice for shipping full machines was to strip out all add-in cards/heatsinks/HDDs and ship those separately in a box.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Memory question:

Browsing cyber-monday deals on newegg, and I thought I'd grab some cheap ram. I currently have G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), and I'm wondering if I can add G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

I know I could just replace the existing two sticks with those two new ones. What I'm hoping is that I can use all 4 together, since 12 > 8. Is there a problem with mixing DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333, do I need to do some BIOS magic or something?

for reference, rest of the system is:
i5-750
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156
Radeon HD 4850
Antec earthwatts 380W

edit: damnit, now it's sold out. oh well.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bawfuls posted:

Memory question:

Browsing cyber-monday deals on newegg, and I thought I'd grab some cheap ram. I currently have G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), and I'm wondering if I can add G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

I know I could just replace the existing two sticks with those two new ones. What I'm hoping is that I can use all 4 together, since 12 > 8. Is there a problem with mixing DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333, do I need to do some BIOS magic or something?

I'd check with the manufacturer or the motherboard maker, but in theory they should either:

A) All run at the lowest speed
B) Channel 1 runs at speed 1, channel 2 runs at speed 2

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Am I assuming correctly that if I install an SSD, even though the suggested use is to install steam on the SSD and use SteamMover to move unused games to the HDD, that I could install it on the HDD and move games that I want to play to the SSD and it would work just as well?

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

Merrack posted:

Only sorta a hardware question...

I'm getting ready to buy a new video card and someone mentioned NVidia may be releasing new models this upcoming week. Obviously I'd like to wait until that happens. If I hadn't seen that in a thread, how would I have known? Is there a website that covers release rumors like MacRumors? Looked through the last few pages of SH/SC but I didn't see a Video Card Megathread or anything related.

Both niVidia and AMD should have their 28nm GPUs ready soon, but given TSMC's issues with yields on that process node I wouldn't expect volume availability until late Q1 next year. nVidia's next generation Kepler architecture should be pretty similar to Fermi's, but the die shrink should give it a pretty big performance boost. nVidia was claiming double the FLOPS/Watt vs. Fermi, so we'll see. Unless you want/need a new GPU right now, I'd wait.

And no, there's no distinct rumor site for GPUs and PC hardware - I just glean what I know from a bunch of sites.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I posted in this thread earlier about having problems with my HTPC power supply. Good news is, the new power supply came in and at least seems to be functional. Bad news is, the mobo no longer wants to display video, at all. I'm using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

While having all those PS problems, I used my main desktop's PS to install Windows, xbmc, all that fun stuff, and had used it to watch a few videos before putting the mobo back in the bag/box it came in. Now, with all the same cables, case, etc, I get no video. I've tried the VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs, as well as hooking it up to my main PS, and nothing seems to give a signal, despite the fan on the CPU spinning up and lights on the ethernet port flashing. I don't know what else to try..guessing I just got a bad motherboard as well?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Quick cyber monday question:

MSI H67MS-E23 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard + Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120

Price: $190

Good buy for the price or am I massively overpaying? Is something being released soon that will drive down prices dramatically that I should wait for?

edit: Fuckit, springing for an i5, it's just $100 more...

Keshik fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 29, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Got an SSD, and I'm curious if bit-for-bit copying drives works with partitions? I know the source drive has to be same size or smaller to do that, but I'm hoping I will be able to move the 60GB partition on my 640GB HDD to a similar partition on the SSD.

Depends on the software you are using, but yes, it's possible. Software like Acronis can take the 60gb partition and leave it as-is on the 640gb drive with the rest unformatted, or expand the partition to take up the whole disk if you want. You can even go from a larger drive to smaller provided there's enough free space to shrink the partition.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Stump Truck posted:

Am I assuming correctly that if I install an SSD, even though the suggested use is to install steam on the SSD and use SteamMover to move unused games to the HDD, that I could install it on the HDD and move games that I want to play to the SSD and it would work just as well?
Keep in mind you can't use SteamMover for Valve games because they're stored in cache files in the SteamApps root directory, and you can only move subdirectories.

puristaako
Sep 17, 2011
I have the opportunity to install a server into datacenter (its all free for me)....

I can install only one server bellow:
Sun Fire X4100 M1 x2 Dual-core AMD Opteron 2.4GHz 4GB DDR1/400 ECC [http://www.zibiz.com/pdf/x4100_datasheet.pdf]
HP Proliant DL360 G4p 3.4 + railkit x2 Intel Xeon 3.4, 4 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 SDRAM [http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html]
HP Proliant DL360 G4p 3,8 x2 Intel Xeon 3.8, 4 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 SDRAM [http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html]
what is better?

What I can do with this old hardware? Ideas? Income $ is a point.

My ideas:
1) web hosting (boring, small income, headache with support 10000000 clients)
2) game server (remember, its a low-performance server)
3) VDS (I think its better way)
4) ???

p.s. all legal, I have license for hosting
p.p.s sry for my ugly English

puristaako fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 29, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

puristaako posted:

I have the opportunity to install a server into datacenter (its all free for me)....

I can install only one server bellow:
Sun Fire X4100 M1 x2 Dual-core AMD Opteron 2.4GHz 4GB DDR1/400 ECC [http://www.zibiz.com/pdf/x4100_datasheet.pdf]
HP Proliant DL360 G4p 3.4 + railkit x2 Intel Xeon 3.4, 4 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 SDRAM [http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html]
HP Proliant DL360 G4p 3,8 x2 Intel Xeon 3.8, 4 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 SDRAM [http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html]
what is better?
The first one, the others are P4-based Xeons so are complete garbage with obscenely high power usage.

Decembr
Jan 13, 2006
Current stats:
i7 cXXX (aka doesn't overclock for poo poo, and no, i didn't choose it)
6gb (3x2) 1333 memory
1x Radeon 4850 (ati branded) 512mb
1x Radeon 4850 (ati branded) with no heatsink/fan died 512mb
intel dx58so (launch x58 board)

I am looking at coolers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118070

to fix the busted 4850.I game on one monitor, 1080p. I don't mind turning settings down to medium-medium low depending on the game as needed.

Budget wise, i'm fairly poor at the moment. I could get 2 new coolers for 60$, slightly OC them for a little bit of performance, and get some more out of my 4850's.

I do not have enough $ to buy a 560 ti/6850 which as I understand it are my most relevant new generation upgrades.

I am wondering, if it is worth the 60$ (the reason i'd buy 2 instead of one is because if i'm going to spend 30$ to get one nice and cool, i'd like to spend the extra to do the same to number 2. poo poo logic, but its both or neither for me, and the OC would be a nice small bump).

I anticipate upgrading the graphics cards for Diablo III, or march-ish, 2012. So, if it was you, would you fix the fan or continue to limp along on 1x 512mb 4850?

puristaako
Sep 17, 2011
If it was Iam, I would like to save my money for 560Ti. But Im playing only eveonline, 4850 its enough for it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Decembr posted:

I anticipate upgrading the graphics cards for Diablo III, or march-ish, 2012. So, if it was you, would you fix the fan or continue to limp along on 1x 512mb 4850?
Continue limping, Crossfire isn't going to do poo poo for you on a 512MB 4850. I just sold my second 4850 for $40 and am not really missing it at all. Hold out and buy a Radeon HD 7850 or something when they hit the market, which should be around your Diablo III purchase target anyway.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Does anyone have an idea when Razer releases their new keyboard with the LCD and what is the price tag for it ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Raunchy posted:

Does anyone have an idea when Razer releases their new keyboard with the LCD and what is the price tag for it ?

Did the Optimus keyboard ever come out?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Bob Morales posted:

Did the Optimus keyboard ever come out?

Yep. Yours for $2000 US or €1400.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Two years ago I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB for £45 (about 70 dollars), unfortunately it decided to fail today so I quickly looked up a replacement and it seems today the same model costs around £90 (140 USD), what the hell happened to HDD prices, and is it possible to get a decent 500gb HD for £50/80 dollars or so?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

BurnBlackJay posted:

Two years ago I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB for £45 (about 70 dollars), unfortunately it decided to fail today so I quickly looked up a replacement and it seems today the same model costs around £90 (140 USD), what the hell happened to HDD prices, and is it possible to get a decent 500gb HD for £50/80 dollars or so?
There's a giant thread in this very sub-forum about it. It's called flooding in Thailand where all the drives are made, go here and find out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I have a HAF-922 case and P6X58-D Premium motherboard.

The front USB on my case hasn't ever worked. I've tried attaching to both the USB 5/6 and USB 7/8 headers on the motherboard. When I attach USB devices, Windows doesn't recognize them and nothing appears in Device Manager.

My Fedora install is hosed so I can't check to see if lsusb sees anything.

Do you guys think this is:

A) the case being messed up
B) motherboard messed up
C) I need a BIOS update maybe?

• Locked thread