Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

csidle posted:

We've got a huge storm going on in Denmark at the moment, and we can't leave our house because poo poo's off the hook. Any good films where there's an ongoing storm or a general theme of isolation due to the elements?

Key Largo isn't bad, I haven't seen it in years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

csidle posted:

We've got a huge storm going on in Denmark at the moment, and we can't leave our house because poo poo's off the hook. Any good films where there's an ongoing storm or a general theme of isolation due to the elements?

The Old Dark House.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Twilight Zone episode "The Howling Man."

Clue.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

TrixRabbi posted:

So I'm in a Race & Gender in Film class right now, and our 15 page final paper is coming up. My topic is something along the lines of "The White Man's Burden Goes To Hollywood", in the sense of movies always shoehorning in at least one white person to save the day. (Inspired by this article)

I'm talking about movies like Blood Diamond, The Blind Side, Glory, The Last Samurai, Hardball, Dances With Wolves and The Last of the Mohicans.

Are there any others like the above that anyone can think of, as well as any movies that manage to avoid this? I'm already using Precious and Smoke Signals as examples of movies that avoid it, but more helps. Those are also both independent films so anything out of Hollywood would be helpful as well.

I'd like to focus on more contemporary films (Post-70s), in order to make the paper more relevant.

The obvious film missing from the list is Avatar, which takes "white man saves the day" to outer space.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

Well, two obvious ones are The Thing and The Shining. Oh, and 30 days of Night is also an example of this.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 28, 2011

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Maybe The Mist or Right at Your Door. The isolation is more due to 'scientific' elements though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Parkingtigers posted:

The obvious film missing from the list is Avatar, which takes "white man saves the day" to outer space.

Dune beat it to that by a couple of decades.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

So I'm in a Race & Gender in Film class right now...

She's not really 'saving' anyone, but the Bride from Kill Bill is a fun topic for discussing these issues. She's a blonde-haired, blue-eyed master of a variety of Eastern martial arts who defeats all her opponents (Asian or White), gets a special katana made by a master swordsmith, and is trained in a secret technique by a Kung Fu master who has taught no one else said technique. O-Ren Ishii even says to her, "Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with Samurai swords." Yet O-Ren Ishii is half-Chinese American, hardly the archetypical samurai sword user herself. Obviously Tarantino knows what he's doing. But does self-awareness excuse using the same stereotypes?

Also, the Last King of Scotland has an interesting and complex dynamic concerning the visiting white man and the local Ugandans.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Xenophon posted:

She's not really 'saving' anyone, but the Bride from Kill Bill is a fun topic for discussing these issues. She's a blonde-haired, blue-eyed master of a variety of Eastern martial arts who defeats all her opponents (Asian or White), gets a special katana made by a master swordsmith, and is trained in a secret technique by a Kung Fu master who has taught no one else said technique. O-Ren Ishii even says to her, "Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with Samurai swords." Yet O-Ren Ishii is half-Chinese American, hardly the archetypical samurai sword user herself. Obviously Tarantino knows what he's doing. But does self-awareness excuse using the same stereotypes?

Also, the Last King of Scotland has an interesting and complex dynamic concerning the visiting white man and the local Ugandans.

Interestingly, my teacher really hated the character of O-Ren Ishii. In the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, and even many years after that, there was a trend of Asian characters, women in particular, only being depicted as villains. If they weren't a villain, they were played by a white person with their eyes taped back. She saw O-Ren Ishii as just another example of that trend, where Strong, Female, Asian character = Villain. I kind of feel it's a bit of a stretch, but then again she's not wrong. More so unintentional of Tarantino's part.

Tarantino's work could actually prove interesting for this paper. Particularly Jackie Brown. Death Proof has it's successes and failures in that realm as well. Thanks for the Kill Bill idea, that actually might be really useful.

I'll need to check out The Last King of Scotland.

On a side note, I realized three of the films I initially listed (Glory, Blood Diamond, and The Last Samurai) are all directed by Edward Zwick. So that's a cool trend.

As for the people trapped by a storm request, I'm going to back up The Thing. The Shining is another good one that can be both claustrophobic and grand at the same time if you haven't seen it already. Not so much a storm example, but still trapped is Wait Until Dark.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dune beat it to that by a couple of decades.

I did think about listing Dune, but that was one white alien helping a different set of white aliens. It's the same story, but didn't hit the racial note the guy was asking for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd like to suggest The Mission

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/

edit: Not exactly "white people save the day," since the white people don't "save the day," the priest defers to the village chief's decision on the fate of their village, etc. But the priest is acting as the guardian/caretaker/teacher for the village and De Niro leads half of them into battle.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 28, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

I did think about listing Dune, but that was one white alien helping a different set of white aliens. It's the same story, but didn't hit the racial note the guy was asking for.

Maybe my thinking is influenced more by the books, but you don't think the Fremen are meant to be Middle Eastern?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Thread, I just finished watching Blood Diamond and Lord of War again. Recommend me similar films.

I won't name a film for the white guy saves the day thing, since the ones I remember have already been said.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Loomer posted:

Thread, I just finished watching Blood Diamond and Lord of War again. Recommend me similar films.

I won't name a film for the white guy saves the day thing, since the ones I remember have already been said.

The Mission, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Kontroll.

I pimp Kontroll in this thread a lot, but its a good movie. Obviously if you like Blood Diamond all of Ed Zwick's other stuff will appeal to you. I picked these three films for different reasons but I'm a big fan of Blood Diamond and Lord of War and these are some movies that I feel fit the same vein.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

I really like the recent trend that I'm seeing of female characters who are just messes in a very human way. Greta Gerwig in Greenberg, Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids, and maybe a bit of Brit Marling in Another Earth. I feel like cinema tends to put women on a pedestal, but I like and identify with female characters so much more when they're actually relatable as human beings in the way that we tend to see men in films. The women that I know are just like the men I know: their lives tend to be up and down, and they themselves are often the source of these issues and they make a lot of mistakes before things get better. But I don't really see that in women in cinema. What are some other great films that have this sort of very relatable, emotionally messy but strong female lead?

You might appreciate Tiny Furniture, though it has its detractors.

I know where you're coming from, and I'd like to see more female protags like you describe. There's a tendency especially in a lot of comedies to portray women as stuffy authority figures shaking their head and sighing as The Boys get up to all kinds of rambunctious fun. In Apatow movies particularly (though I'm a fan), it kinda paints this portrait of a world where only guys can be hosed up losers who won't grow up, when really it's a universal condition that's being applied selectively to the male characters to keep the women from joining the fun.

Xenophon posted:

There's a ton of interesting racial subtext in the Kill Bills. The scene where she beats down the door and slaughters Vivica A. Fox in front of her daughter is mortifying, and the parallels to the way the Klan would terrorize black families is inescapable. See also Terminator 2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nevermind, tangent

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

What's some good Japanese sci-fi films?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I've enjoyed (live action):
Space Battleship Yamato (humans vs. aliens, with space travel)
Returner (humans vs. aliens, with time travel)
Cyborg She (Time travel and robots)
Dragon Head (Post-apocalyptic)

Circusmacabre
Sep 3, 2006
Belle Marie Antoinette "Love the pearls!" They'll make a great tourniquet.
I recently watched the documentary The Great Happiness Space and have been attempting to google similar documentaries, stuff about host and hostess clubs, maid cafes that sort of thing because I found it really interesting. Anybody know of any? I'm a fan of that sort of documentary where it's very character driven and less about politics/war/industry, I don't really enjoy that sort of documentary.

Also this may be a rather silly suggestion for your race essay but I would probably end up going for something like it but have you considered Blade and the first sequel? There are some major race themes in there human, human/vampire and made/born vampire. Then in the sequel you have created vampires. Blade is also half vampire which is interesting when thinking about the idea of mixed race parentage. Apologies if it's a bit of an out there suggestion, I'll be writing about the films and ideas of race at some point soon.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I kinda like the whole vibe and mood of black metal album covers like these, with the desolated forests and mountains:

Can you guys think of any movies that convey a similar vibe, maybe even related to some of the mythology that black metal bands use in their lyrics?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Eight Is Legend posted:

I kinda like the whole vibe and mood of black metal album covers like these, with the desolated forests and mountains:

The tree in this album cover looks a hell of a lot like the Tree of the Dead from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow so you might like the atmosphere in that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Can you guys think of any movies that convey a similar vibe, maybe even related to some of the mythology that black metal bands use in their lyrics?

To suggest two movies I never thought I'd name in the same breath, try Solomon Kane, and The Seventh Seal. :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This almost doesn't count for this thread, but here goes:

At same time, I have the urge to watch one of two things:

- Frasier on Netflix
- The special features of the original Tron.

I'm basically 50/50 on it, so I need people to tip the scales, one way or another.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

The foggy woods has its roots back in Universal monster pictures of the 1930s, most notably Wolf Man.

But the mood of those covers also fits the minimilast vibes of independent horror films of the 1960s like Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, Last Man on Earth, and the aforementioned Seventh Seal, although I don't think any of those have the ubiquitous fog.

My favorite movie fog:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Eight Is Legend posted:

I apologize that I cannot remember the name, but there is a Scandinavian horror movie called The Spa, or The Sauna or something like that. A group is mapping the Russian border and come across a town. Anyway, it has a creepy blackmetal type feel to it.

Edit: Its called Sauna and its Finnish.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 16, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eight Is Legend posted:

Vampyr

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but has anyone here seen The Human Condition? Thinking of snagging the criterion thingo off Amazon, but figured I'd run it by here first. Sounds pretty darn sobering :ohdearsass: Stumbled over mention of it while hunting for a WW1 movie (I know, it's WW2. No clue how it got in there).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Geop posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but has anyone here seen The Human Condition? Thinking of snagging the criterion thingo off Amazon, but figured I'd run it by here first. Sounds pretty darn sobering :ohdearsass: Stumbled over mention of it while hunting for a WW1 movie (I know, it's WW2. No clue how it got in there).

It's loving incredible. It made me like Tatsuya Nakadai more than Toshiro Mifune.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's really good, but extremely depressing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
1. How is The Butcher, The Chef and The Swordsman?
2. Where should I start with Kurosawa?
3. Is the remake of A Better Tommorrow any good?
4. I saw a noir box set the other day made by a asian filmmaker and I was intrigued but broke at the moment...it was called the Twisted World of (filmmaker name) and I can't remember the name of the filmmaker. It started with a K. Any thoughts?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 16, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

2. Where should I start with Kurosawa?
3. Is the remake of A Better Tommorrow any good?
2. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, Ran, and Hidden Fortress are all good places to start.
3. Nope, try Outrage.

Edit: woops, it's not out yet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

El Gallinero Gros posted:

4. I saw a noir box set the other day made by a asian filmmaker and I was intrigued but broke at the moment...it was called the Twisted World of (filmmaker name) and I can't remember the name of the filmmaker. It started with a K. Any thoughts?

The Warped World of Koreyoshi Kurahara.

As I understand it, it's not purely a "noir box" although Kurahara does have a film in the (fantastic) Nikkatsu Noir set.

I've been waiting for Netflix or the library to pick up Kurahara set... I may have to break down and blind-buy it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

It's loving incredible. It made me like Tatsuya Nakadai more than Toshiro Mifune.

Harakiri did this for me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

The Warped World of Koreyoshi Kurahara.

As I understand it, it's not purely a "noir box" although Kurahara does have a film in the (fantastic) Nikkatsu Noir set.

I've been waiting for Netflix or the library to pick up Kurahara set... I may have to break down and blind-buy it.

They only wanted 25.99 for the box, seemed resonable. And thanks for answering everybody!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Should I watch the remake or original version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? Or if both are good and distinct from each other, in which order?

Ksrugi
Mar 21, 2010
What are some really intimate movies concerned with mostly a small cast and their relationships with each other? Something along the lines of Conversations with Other Women and Lost in Translation.

@ El Gallinero Gros
I started my Kurosawa love with The Seven Samurai. Still my favorite of his movies.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Before he became Iron Man, Robert Downey was in an interesting little movie called Two Girls and a Guy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124179/

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Should I watch the remake or original version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? Or if both are good and distinct from each other, in which order?
The original is a good movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the remake so I say watch the first one first.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I'd like a film set in a mystical south american setting, black magic, voodoo, day of the dead stuff.

The only similar ideas I can think of is the 2nd part of From Dusk till Dawn, the voodoo levels in Monkey Island and the Black Magic Woman song by Fleetwood Mac/Santana

tia

Circusmacabre
Sep 3, 2006
Belle Marie Antoinette "Love the pearls!" They'll make a great tourniquet.

Ksrugi posted:

What are some really intimate movies concerned with mostly a small cast and their relationships with each other? Something along the lines of Conversations with Other Women and Lost in Translation.

@ El Gallinero Gros
I started my Kurosawa love with The Seven Samurai. Still my favorite of his movies.

Maybe try Festen it's a Dogme 95 film so no non-diegitic sound, no special effects, using sets as they are etc. It's about a family celebration during which the past comes out, some people hate it I know my friend did but it's definitely something to see I think. I should rewatch it, it's been about 4 years since I've seen it.

Oh I also really liked Fish Tank it's like an Angry Young Man film with a young girl in it about how she deals with living in a council estate and her relationship with her mother and mother's boyfriend. I really liked Michael Fassbender in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Circusmacabre posted:

Maybe try Festen it's a Dogme 95 film so no non-diegitic sound, no special effects, using sets as they are etc. It's about a family celebration during which the past comes out, some people hate it I know my friend did but it's definitely something to see I think. I should rewatch it, it's been about 4 years since I've seen it.
I'll second this - for ease of finding, the english title is The Celebration. It's a great film.

• Locked thread